MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2017

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:A group headed by Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush have bought the Miami Marlins.

hopefully Jeter will be do a better job than he did running Derek Jeter's Taco Hole ;)

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Well W once owned the Rangers so at least Jeb Bush has gotten one of his brother's old jobs.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Well W once owned the Rangers so at least Jeb Bush has gotten one of his brother's old jobs.
You either have family money or you don't.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Chris Sale is the real deal. No, not merely the real deal, he's second only to Clayton Kershaw in his dominance and command of the game anytime he's in it. He's also a pleasure to watch, which is partly a function of that command, his pitching knowledge and his flat out ability, but also because he works really fast, which makes the game so much better to watch.

As for the recent unpleasantness at Fenway, regrettable, unacceptable, terrible and not surprising. I thought the official Sox response was as good as it could have been, and their decision to ban the "fan" involved in the second incident was correct and encouragingly swift. I very seriously doubt the situation at Fenway on a typical night is any different than at most other stadia, but Fenway/Boston has the rep, so in some ways it matters more and it's that much worse when something does happen. I will say that the racism rep which surrounds the Sox & Fenway Park is most often evident in the almost complete absence of black people from the stands. I've never heard "the n word" there but then again, there generally isn't anyone to whom the word could be directed, and I've never seen or heard the kind of behavior Adam Jones described directed at any other player.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think Chris Sale is a phenomenal pitcher, and you're lucky to have him.

I don't like him as a person whatsoever
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:I don't like him as a person whatsoever
I don't care. I don't even mean that to be as nasty as it sounds. I mean I don't care if you like him, if I like him, if his kids like him, if anyone likes him. If you're david ortiz or pedro martinez, then personality is part of the package. I can deal w/ that. For just about anyone else, I just don't care and I don't care if anyone else does.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
I don't care. I don't even mean that to be as nasty as it sounds. I mean I don't care if you like him, if I like him, if his kids like him, if anyone likes him. If you're david ortiz or pedro martinez, then personality is part of the package. I can deal w/ that. For just about anyone else, I just don't care and I don't care if anyone else does.
I say the same thing about Lackey and Baez, etc. I personally hate John Lackey, but it doesn't keep me from rooting for him every fifth day.

The beanball war the last few days was partly on Sale, though, and I'm tired of that red-assed bullshit

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:As for the recent unpleasantness at Fenway, regrettable, unacceptable, terrible and not surprising. I thought the official Sox response was as good as it could have been, and their decision to ban the "fan" involved in the second incident was correct and encouragingly swift. I very seriously doubt the situation at Fenway on a typical night is any different than at most other stadia, but Fenway/Boston has the rep, so in some ways it matters more and it's that much worse when something does happen. I will say that the racism rep which surrounds the Sox & Fenway Park is most often evident in the almost complete absence of black people from the stands. I've never heard "the n word" there but then again, there generally isn't anyone to whom the word could be directed, and I've never seen or heard the kind of behavior Adam Jones described directed at any other player.
Herr Schilling ain't havin' it

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I say the same thing about Lackey and Baez, etc. I personally hate John Lackey, but it doesn't keep me from rooting for him every fifth day.

The beanball war the last few days was partly on Sale, though, and I'm tired of that red-assed bullshit
What's your beef with Baez?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I love Baez, but can see how he'd would rub people the wrong way.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
jr29 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:With Starling Marte suspended for 80 games I think Milwaukee is now the second best team in the NL Central (no I'm not worried about the Cubs' 7-7 start).
the Cards aren't what they've been in the past but do you really think they were/are the 4th or 5th best team in the central ?
they lost Holladay and gained Fowler...that's about all.
they've sucked on ice this year. They're unathletic. They have no power.
Things can really change in two weeks huh ?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Baseball is a long season. So absolutely yes

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I still don't know how good the Cardinals are but at this point I don't know how good the Cubs are either. 3rd place on5/8 isn't exactly what I envisioned. It's pretty embarrassing .

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I still don't know how good the Cardinals are but at this point I don't know how good the Cubs are either. 3rd place on5/8 isn't exactly what I envisioned. It's pretty embarrassing .
I'm not sure how good they are either but I'm enjoying the hell out of this hot streak.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Baseball is a long season.
so is an 18 inning game

tinnitus photography

Re: MLB 2017 and Hot Stove

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There aren't too many better stories in baseball than that of David Ross. Lifetime light hitting, backup catcher ends up on the Cubs and become a rock star, the legendary Grandpa Rossy on the first World Series Champion Cubs team in 108 years. He parlayed that into a role on ESPN and even competing on Dancing with the Stars. Now he has a book about to be released and that book has been optioned for a movie that is already in pre-production. You really have to smile at a story like that.
this is a really old post but i'd just like to point out that Ross also won a WS w/ the Sox earlier.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:There aren't too many better stories in baseball than that of David Ross. Lifetime light hitting, backup catcher ends up on the Cubs and become a rock star, the legendary Grandpa Rossy on the first World Series Champion Cubs team in 108 years. He parlayed that into a role on ESPN and even competing on Dancing with the Stars. Now he has a book about to be released and that book has been optioned for a movie that is already in pre-production. You really have to smile at a story like that.
this is a really old post but i'd just like to point out that Ross also won a WS w/ the Sox earlier.
I knew that, but it didn't turn him into a cult hero and you have no idea how much hate accompanied him when he signed with Chicago and through nearly all of 2015. It really was a bizarre turnaround and it took Bryant, Heyward and Rizzo paying to upgrade his road accommodations and calling him "Grandpa Rossy" to turn most Cubs fans around which of course is silly. All the guy ever did was go out there and play hard. Still nice to see a hard working "lunch bucket" kind of player have some success.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

why did he get so much hate?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
I knew that, but it didn't turn him into a cult hero and you have no idea how much hate accompanied him when he signed with Chicago and through nearly all of 2015. It really was a bizarre turnaround and it took Bryant, Heyward and Rizzo paying to upgrade his road accommodations and calling him "Grandpa Rossy" to turn most Cubs fans around which of course is silly. All the guy ever did was go out there and play hard. Still nice to see a hard working "lunch bucket" kind of player have some success.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding your comment, but I am little confused.
What hate? And hate from whom? Like yourself, I am unfortunately a pretty devout Chicago sports radio listener and also make it down to a fair share of Cubs games. I didn't see any of hate towards David Ross at all. If anything, I felt like he kind of a had a golden horseshoe stock up his arse in regards to the cult hero status that he achieved while being a backup catcher and an overall veteran clubhouse leader. The only negative critique which I had ever heard about it him was essentially pointed at Jon Lester and the question of whether it was feasible to sign and roster a soft hitting 38 year old backup catcher to be Jon Lester's personal catcher. It turned out to be a feasible move due to last November's result, however I do feel that the question was an apt one at the time. I didn't see there being any truly contentious verbiage towards David Ross, despite him batting only .176 for the 2015 season.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:why did he get so much hate?
Because people thought he was signed just to be Lester's personal catcher, which seemed by most to be a waste of a roster spot

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:why did he get so much hate?
Because people thought he was signed just to be Lester's personal catcher, which seemed by most to be a waste of a roster spot
Cubs fans hate weird things

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding your comment, but I am little confused.
What hate? And hate from whom? Like yourself, I am unfortunately a pretty devout Chicago sports radio listener and also make it down to a fair share of Cubs games. I didn't see any of hate towards David Ross at all. If anything, I felt like he kind of a had a golden horseshoe stock up his arse in regards to the cult hero status that he achieved while being a backup catcher and an overall veteran clubhouse leader. The only negative critique which I had ever heard about it him was essentially pointed at Jon Lester and the question of whether it was feasible to sign and roster a soft hitting 38 year old backup catcher to be Jon Lester's personal catcher. It turned out to be a feasible move due to last November's result, however I do feel that the question was an apt one at the time. I didn't see there being any truly contentious verbiage towards David Ross, despite him batting only .176 for the 2015 season.
In 2015 there was lots of hate. I saw it in Cubs Forums, Bleacher Nation, ESPN and others. It was more about Lester, who was really hated at first and condemned for having a personal catcher, but there sure was enough left over for Ross. The love for him starter early last year.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Rockies Serve Cheap Swill To Appease Cubs Fans

favorite line: Cubs fans in Wrigley Field tend to drink Budweiser, just like assholes everywhere.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kanye's favorite MLB player?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The Cards are celebrating their 1967 World Series championship tonight. Around a dozen of the players are on hand including Steve Carlton, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson and my favorite cardinal Mike Shannon. Gibson is 81 and looks like he's in his 50's.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

At age 25, Mike Trout has more career fWAR than David Ortiz. He's already at "low-end Hall of Fane" level and he's just getting started

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip City wrote:At age 25, Mike Trout has more career fWAR than David Ortiz. He's already at "low-end Hall of Fane" level and he's just getting started
Trout's OPS this year is 1.223. Jesus Christ he is good. And at $19m this year, he makes less than 32 other players, including Matt Cain, Jamie Shields and Joe Mauer.

How much do you think he'll make if he becomes a free agent in 3.5 seasons? 10 year contract, $450 million?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:At age 25, Mike Trout has more career fWAR than David Ortiz. He's already at "low-end Hall of Fane" level and he's just getting started
And he manages to do it without being a tool.