MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2017

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

yeah, there were some throws to the wrong position in there, but still, dude can fly
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Yesterday Clayton Kershaw became the first pitcher in MLB history to strike out at least 13 in a complete game with fewer than 100 pitches. Dude is 14-2 with a 2.18 ERA at the break. Hate the Dodgers but, damn, game recognize game

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Yesterday Clayton Kershaw became the first pitcher in MLB history to strike out at least 13 in a complete game with fewer than 100 pitches. Dude is 14-2 with a 2.18 ERA at the break. Hate the Dodgers but, damn, game recognize game
And I think it was a two hour and fifteen minute game. That's a Koufax/Gibson kinda game. I love it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jr29 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Yesterday Clayton Kershaw became the first pitcher in MLB history to strike out at least 13 in a complete game with fewer than 100 pitches. Dude is 14-2 with a 2.18 ERA at the break. Hate the Dodgers but, damn, game recognize game
And I think it was a two hour and fifteen minute game. That's a Koufax/Gibson kinda game. I love it.
And then he falls apart in the playoffs.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
jr29 wrote:
And then he falls apart in the playoffs.
I'm a Cards fan so I've really loved that part over the years.

Also....I hate the home run derby. Mickey mantle hit a ball 565 feet during an actual game in the 1960's. I'm not shocked when someone today hits a 490 foot homer during batting practice.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:nd I think it was a two hour and fifteen minute game. That's a Koufax/Gibson kinda game. I love it.
Hell yeah! That's what I'm talking about! We need a few hundred more of under 2:30 games. It would be hard to overstate Kershaw's greatness. Barring injury, he and Trout are the guys we'll be telling our grandkids about, claiming that if Kershaw were pitching today he'd probably have about a 3.50 ERA. That's all grandpa? What's so great about that? Well don't forget he's 60.
jr29 wrote:Also....I hate the home run derby. Mickey mantle hit a ball 565 feet during an actual game in the 1960's. I'm not shocked when someone today hits a 490 foot homer during batting practice.
I hear that. Every time I hear about or see the HR Derby I think the same thing (along w/ thinking about the "Ted Williams seat" at Fenway, marking the location of his 502 foot blast), but I have to say that taken as a goof, as an exhibition, as just a fun time that I'd sure as hell never pay to watch (how much are those tickets anyway?) it can be fun. What caught my attention this year was the extent to which the contestants really got into the 1 on 1 battles, really working to beat theit bracket opponent - fun, but real, competition.

But what's the deal w/ the All Star game? Doesn't it still determine home field advantage in the World Series? IOW doesn't it count, as the ads said just a few years ago? If so, why are batters being interviewed as they head to the plate? Why is A Rod wandering around the field interviewing players as the inning is starting? I had to turn the circus off at that point; couldn't even watch it on the terms I just described for the HR Derby. Feh.
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The All-Time Leaders In Undeserved All-Star Appearances
Assuming that the All Star game is solely about the best players is a flawed assumption at best.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

No, it doesn't determine home field anymore

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/jose-quin ... s/2212949/

You think the guy in the Cubs hat at about 1:20 of this clip has any idea of what he is talking about?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:http://abc7chicago.com/sports/jose-quin ... s/2212949/

You think the guy in the Cubs hat at about 1:20 of this clip has any idea of what he is talking about?
:o 8-) 8-)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That was fun. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:

:o 8-) 8-)
What does some bumpkin from Mississippi know about the Cubs? :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Pablo Sandoval's deal may go down as top five worst in history. 5/$95M, and he's released after posting a -2.6 WAR with Boston. Yeesh

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Pablo Sandoval's deal may go down as top five worst in history. 5/$95M, and he's released after posting a -2.6 WAR with Boston. Yeesh
Oh yeah, truly awful and I don't think there's a "may" about it. Very glad it's not my money. OTOH, big, big win against the Yankees last night scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th against the big 100 mph closer (Chapman) w/out a ball leaving the infield. Hey, they don't give out points for artistry. Was in CT last nite so watched the game on the Yankees network. Different perspective :)

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Heading to Atlanta tomorrow to catch the end of the Diamondbacks-Braves series. Hoping the rain holds off so I can see an MVP candidate in Paul Goldschmidt and (hopefully) Freddie Freeman.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:big, big win against the Yankees last night scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th against the big 100 mph closer (Chapman) w/out a ball leaving the infield. Hey, they don't give out points for artistry.
Baseball. So the Sox and Yanks hook up in a classic pitcher's duel, Sox leading 1-0 in the 9th on the strength of another dominant performance by Chris Sale. Ace closer Craig Kimbrel gives up the tying bomb to Matt Holliday in the top of the 9th and the game goes 16 innings before the Yanks pull it out in almost 6 hours. And they have a day/nite doubleheader today. Thankfully the bizarre play in the 11th involving Holliday didn't affect the outcome. IMHO, it was clearly interference and should have been called a double play, but surprisingly enough, neither the umpires nor the NY office asked me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jose Quintana pitches a gem in his Cubs debut and leads his team to an sweep of the Orioles. Maybe this ship can be righted after all. 25 runs in 3 games and not dominated by the long ball.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The best things about today's Sox-Yanks game:

Organist Josh Kantor serenading the disappointed Nation w/ "Hell No I Ain't Happy" as the crowd filed out.
Free tickets.
Beautiful day for a baseball game. Heck, let's play 2! Which they are.
Very good seats in very comfortable shade for the entire game.
Brock Holt made it back, at least for now, and got a hit, too (and an error)
Rick Porcello pitched just well enough to lose, which is at least a step in the right direction.
Sox-Yanks still means more than "just another game" (though nothing compared to the glory days of the rivalry).

OTOH, the Sox have now not scored in 23 innings and counting. They could have dealt the Yankees a serious blow to their playoff chances this weekend but now need a win tonite just to escape w/ their dignity.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Just got back from Atlanta, glad to say I got to see the Bravos claw back to .500 for the first time since the 2nd week of the season! Don’t think they’ll still be hanging around at the end of the season, but they’re at least setting themselves up for an interesting trade deadline/wild card race.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jose Quintana pitches a gem in his Cubs debut and leads his team to an sweep of the Orioles. Maybe this ship can be righted after all. 25 runs in 3 games and not dominated by the long ball.
Yep, the weekend went as well as any Cubs fan could have asked. Let's hope this is the beginning of the streak we have all been waiting for. After the Braves, they have a key stretch of Cardinals/White Sox/Brewers.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jose Quintana pitches a gem in his Cubs debut and leads his team to an sweep of the Orioles. Maybe this ship can be righted after all. 25 runs in 3 games and not dominated by the long ball.
It was fun to watch Quintana pitch that efficiently and as fan its nice to watch a pitcher who works quickly. His laser point control on the corners was impressive.

I'd be in favor of Almora Jr getting some more at bats against lefties. Granted the sample is smaller, because he isn't getting enough playing time, however his splits against lefties are sick. He is clearly an elite defender if put in any of the outfield positions as well. If they don't plan on him being a long term answer in CF than perhaps he can be a piece that helps you yield a Sonny Gray. I can't help but feel like he is kind of wasting away right now in lieu of letting a one tool player in Schwarber try to rectify his swing.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
It was fun to watch Quintana pitch that efficiently and as fan its nice to watch a pitcher who works quickly. His laser point control on the corners was impressive.

I'd be in favor of Almora Jr getting some more at bats against lefties. Granted the sample is smaller, because he isn't getting enough playing time, however his splits against lefties are sick. He is clearly an elite defender if put in any of the outfield positions as well. If they don't plan on him being a long term answer in CF than perhaps he can be a piece that helps you yield a Sonny Gray. I can't help but feel like he is kind of wasting away right now in lieu of letting a one tool player in Schwarber try to rectify his swing.
That's where I disagree with you. Schwarber is not a 1 tool player. He was a 65 grade power prospect, yes, but he was also a 60 grade (!!) for his hit tool. Theo even said as much when he was demoted. They saw him becoming a slugger where they see a hitter, and they should. That 60 grade hit tool is higher that Eloy Jiminez who people were so upset to give up. Too many people see Schwarber and think Adam Dunn when they should be thinking a ceiling of a LH version of Frank Thomas. Will he get there? I think so but baseball is a funny game.

As far as Sonny Gray goes the best indicator we have on what it's going to take to get him is that the Astros, who need him quite badly in much the same way the Cubs needed Chapman last year (final piece and all that), have consistently refused Oakland's offer of Gray for Alex Bregman. If that's what Beane is looking for I might go Russell or Happ and get it done. As much as I love Schwarber I would have moved him to the A's if the deal had included Doolittle but he was moved to the Nats yesterday. Ultimately I think Houston gets Gray but I wouldn't wouldn't discount the Cubs and I would call the Braves a solid dark horse candidate for him. The Brewers would be crazy to trade someone like Lewis Hinson or Corey Ray for him and that's what it will take. It actually sucks for a rebuilding team to compete too early. I think Stearns either stands pat or gets a fringy guy for the rotation a-la Dan Haren for the Cubs in 2015.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There's zero chance I give up Russell or Happ on Gray considering his injury history

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

That's where I disagree with you. Schwarber is not a 1 tool player. He was a 65 grade power prospect, yes, but he was also a 60 grade (!!) for his hit tool. Theo even said as much when he was demoted. They saw him becoming a slugger where they see a hitter, and they should. That 60 grade hit tool is higher that Eloy Jiminez who people were so upset to give up. Too many people see Schwarber and think Adam Dunn when they should be thinking a ceiling of a LH version of Frank Thomas. Will he get there? I think so but baseball is a funny game.

As far as Sonny Gray goes the best indicator we have on what it's going to take to get him is that the Astros, who need him quite badly in much the same way the Cubs needed Chapman last year (final piece and all that), have consistently refused Oakland's offer of Gray for Alex Bregman. If that's what Beane is looking for I might go Russell or Happ and get it done. As much as I love Schwarber I would have moved him to the A's if the deal had included Doolittle but he was moved to the Nats yesterday. Ultimately I think Houston gets Gray but I wouldn't wouldn't discount the Cubs and I would call the Braves a solid dark horse candidate for him. The Brewers would be crazy to trade someone like Lewis Hinson or Corey Ray for him and that's what it will take. It actually sucks for a rebuilding team to compete too early. I think Stearns either stands pat or gets a fringy guy for the rotation a-la Dan Haren for the Cubs in 2015.

Whoa Nelly, let's slow down on the Schwarber to Frank Thomas comparisons. (And i know you said "ceiling"). In any event, I think the Cubs' hot start coming out of the break may make it more likely that Theo and company sit back and decide they like what they see and will ride the horses they have. Or I could be totally wrong, that's been known to happen.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think Aaron Judge is a much better comp to Frank Thomas than Schwarber is.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I think Aaron Judge is a much better comp to Frank Thomas than Schwarber is.
Ok, but Judge has never been ranked as high in his hit tool as Schwarber was. He's really blowing away expectations in that aspect. I'm going on memory but I think his hit tool was a 50 grade where Schwarber was a 60. Theo was always pretty consistent in that if Schwarber reaches his ceiling he'd be the best hitter on that team. Will he reach it? I don't know, I think so but there are no guarantees. The point is that if he's a .240/.390/.550 guy with 40 plus HR every year with a 25-28% K rate he's a slugger, a very good one but a slugger. Anything below that has still has value in varying degrees. That is not what he is supposed to be. His ceiling is probably lowering the K rate to about 20-22% and slashing .290/.390/.600 with the same HR totals. basically somewhere in the Rizzo range with a little more pop.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

You know I'm not a "hot take" sort of guy when it comes to Cubs baseball. (At least I think you believe that I am not) I'm not ready to give up on Schwarber offensively for a life time, just because the guy is hitting .177. That said, even when I had expected a better average from him my thought process has remained consistent that he is a primarily a future DH.
Just a kind retort in regards to Schwarber moving from a one tool player to a two tool player. In order for him to be considered a two tool player, his batting average would need to be greater than the mean, correct? The all time mean for batting average has been between .260 and .275. At what batting average, would you then consider him to have reached two tool player status assuming he doesn't lose his power in the process?
If there is still a market for him as the centerpiece in a Sonny Gray trade, I'd like to see the Cubs do it and expedite Schwarber's track as a career DH.

At this juncture already, I'd already consider the 23 year old Almora Jr. to be a three tool player.(Batting Average, Fielding, and Throwing ability) I'd simply like to see him have the chance to be better established.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
You know I'm not a "hot take" sort of guy when it comes to Cubs baseball. (At least I think you believe that I am not) I'm not ready to give up on Schwarber offensively for a life time, just because the guy is hitting .177. That said, even when I had expected a better average from him my thought process has remained consistent that he is a primarily a future DH.
Just a kind retort in regards to Schwarber moving from a one tool player to a two tool player. In order for him to be considered a two tool player, his batting average would need to be greater than the mean, correct? The all time mean for batting average has been between .260 and .275. At what batting average, would you then consider him to have reached two tool player status assuming he doesn't lose his power in the process?
If there is still a market for him as the centerpiece in a Sonny Gray trade, I'd like to see the Cubs do it and expedite Schwarber's track as a career DH.

At this juncture already, I'd already consider the 23 year old Almora Jr. to be a three tool player.(Batting Average, Fielding, and Throwing ability) I'd simply like to see him have the chance to be better established.
Whereas I have never thought he had to be a DH. I think he can be just below average in LF and I think he's going to end up a very similar hitter to Rizzo and that's who Theo compares him to when asked. I get that Rizzo was never as bad for a full season as Schwarber is now but after a hot start in 360 PA in 2012 and a crazy 178 wRC+ he came back in 2013 and struggled with a 105 wRC+. Schwarber has a absolutely terrible wRC+ at 82 but if he bounces back and gets over league average of 100 can't you yu compare him to Rizzo? As much as I love Schwarber though and believe in his future I would move him in the right deal, but Gray isn't it. I'd consider Schwarber and Russell for Archer in the offseason and I think that would probably get that done and make both teams better for it. Tampa is just entering a window and their biggest need are hitters with high OBP. Now before you bring up his .297 OBP this year that itself is remarkable given his .177 BA and 28.6% K rate, but he also sports a remarkable 13.4% walk rate. Again I think .290/.390/.600 is his ceiling and with his defensive deficiencies he'd probably top out in the 5-5.5 fWAR range. Again I have no crystal ball but this kid still hasn't played the equivelent of a season in MLB ball. All assets should be considered in possible trade and I'd move him but only for an elite pitcher.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Scouting grades are great and all, but I'm guessing they are wrong far more often than they are right. Schwarber's approach right now is not one of a high average hitter. He pulls almost everything, often right into the extreme shifts that everyone uses against him. Rizzo was similar when he played in San Diego, and it was only when he choked up with two strikes and started going the other way on pitches that he stepped up to his current level. The onus is on Kyle to make the next adjustment, as the "book is out " on him right now and pitchers are making him look foolish

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Scouting grades are great and all, but I'm guessing they are wrong far more often than they are right. Schwarber's approach right now is not one of a high average hitter. He pulls almost everything, often right into the extreme shifts that everyone uses against him. Rizzo was similar when he played in San Diego, and it was only when he choked up with two strikes and started going the other way on pitches that he stepped up to his current level. The onus is on Kyle to make the next adjustment, as the "book is out " on him right now and pitchers are making him look foolish
He's looked much better since the demotion both in AAA and in MLB, even if the numbers haven't caught up yet, and I agree with you that he has to become more balanced but in the minors he was hitting much more to C and going the opposite way to the tune of 50% C & oppo and 47% pull. In contrast Rizzo hits about 57% C and oppo and clearly Kyle needs to get in that 52%-55% range himself. I'm not saying he's doing it, I'm saying after 568 PA I'm not giving up on his ability to.