MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2017

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
damn Bill, you wasted a golden opportunity for a "rhythmic, slapping sound" reference :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not funny. Still an open wound.
it should never be forgotten
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Clams wrote: I try to be objective and I'm willing to admit when my teams take a step too far. But there have been several instances of the Patriots and Red Sox getting caught cheating and it seems that the collective fan reaction is always just a yawn and an eyeroll and a victory parade. It would be nice to hear you call a spade a spade and say "Oh wow the [insert Boston team name here] were caught [cheating, doing something unethical, etc]. They shouldn't have done that."
[/quote]
As I have said many times, I am not a Patriots fan. I still thought Deflategate was an utterly absurd excuse for a controversy. Aaron Rodgers openly said he prefers "overinflated" balls and yet the NFL took no action against the Packers.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Stealing signs has been part of baseball forever. What a ridiculous "scandal" this is. Yawn.
Nothing to see here. Boston fans think cheating is cool. That's just what teams do.
34-28.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote: Considering your favorite football teams are Penn State and the Philadelphia Eagles, do you really want to throw stones at other fan bases?!?
I try to be objective and I'm willing to admit when my teams take a step too far. But there have been several instances of the Patriots and Red Sox getting caught cheating and it seems that the collective fan reaction is always just a yawn and an eyeroll and a victory parade. It would be nice to hear you call a spade a spade and say "Oh wow the [insert Boston team name here] were caught [cheating, doing something unethical, etc]. They shouldn't have done that." [/quote]

Spygate happened. The Pats paid a pretty high price, an objectively absurd price, and went on to win how many Super Bowls?
Deflategate probably never happened. The Pats paid an obscene price and went on to win another Super Bowl.
So what's your point?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:So what's your point?
It's easy to follow the lazy, biased narrative that to achieve that level of success, you must be cheating. Tin foil hatters and eternal pessimists unite!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Since when do ANY of baseball's unwritten rules make any sense?
This one is actually written though. I listened to a ton of conversation on this on MLB Network Radio yesterday and there are actual detailed rules on electronics and I don't think agree with WWB that it makes "zero sense". What you can see with your eyes is limited, what electronics can see is not or at least we don't know those limits. Teams are only allowed one laptop in the dugout to avoid having teams come up with systematic means to gain an advantage. I don't think what the Red Sox did, or what the Yankees are alleged to have done with the YES Network, are heinous attempts to cheat but both indicate that lines have to be drawn IMO. Signs have been stolen forever yes, but with the human eye and the limits therein, the Red Sox by readily admitting to doing this have made this an issue that needs clarification and resolution.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

** LOL, but it seems that it went exactly as it should have. The sign itself seemed to me to be fascinatingly ambiguous but the interview at the end of the story makes clear which interpretation they intended. That's fine and so was management's actions -it's very well known that fans can't hang banners over the walls on the playing field.

Went to the game Tues nite. Perfect, perfect nite for baseball. Took a european visitor to his first game and he seemed, well, if not quite enthralled, at least very pleased to be there and he seemed to have a very good time. I was gonna say that Oakland's not very good but (a) that's not exactly incisive and (b) they kicked the Sox butt tonite, so go figure. But when Mookie is being Mookie it's guaranteed to be a great nite at the ol' ballyard. That guys is seriously talented. Plus I'm beginning to believe that Eduoardo Rodriguez may actually be a major league pitcher and wouldn't that be a welcome development.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:** LOL, but it seems that it went exactly as it should have. The sign itself seemed to me to be fascinatingly ambiguous but the interview at the end of the story makes clear which interpretation they intended.
It was definitely ambiguous, glad they talked to the sign hangers and heard what their intended message was

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubs-Cardinals at Wrigley. Tied 1-1. Lackey on the mound with 2 outs and 2 on, Carlos Martinez at the dish, 2-2 count. Ump calls this motherfucker a ball (pitch 5)

Lackey tries to charge the mound, Contreras the catcher stops him. Next pitch Martinez hits a line drive single Cardinals up 2-1, Lackey goes for the ump again and gets tossed, Contreras gets tossed. Worst call I've ever seen. Robo umps time. :evil:

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Cubs-Cardinals at Wrigley. Tied 1-1. Lackey on the mound with 2 outs and 2 on, Carlos Martinez at the dish, 2-2 count. Ump calls this motherfucker a ball (pitch 5)

Lackey tries to charge the mound, Contreras the catcher stops him. Next pitch Martinez hits a line drive single Cardinals up 2-1, Lackey goes for the ump again and gets tossed, Contreras gets tossed. Worst call I've ever seen. Robo umps time. :evil:
T ' rible. (In Charles Barkley voice)

And the bats angrily come alive in the bottom of the 6th and put up a 7 spot! 8-2 Cubs

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Indians’ streak is finally over, hopefully now they can focus on winning the World Series and redeeming Charlie Sheen and the boys for the awful third installment in the Major League series.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Indians’ streak is finally over, hopefully now they can focus on winning the World Series and redeeming Charlie Sheen and the boys for the awful third installment in the Major League series.
No redeeming Charlie Sheen, he has more bad movies he has to apologize for than we can count...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubs are Division Champs second year in a row. Third straight playoffs. These are different times

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Cubs are Division Champs second year in a row. Third straight playoffs. These are different times
And the core is still super young and super cheap.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Where the fuck are TC's playoff picks?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:Where the fuck are TC's playoff picks?
I picked Minnesota last night. It didn't go well. I will leave my picks silent for now.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Indians over Nationals in the WS.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There are good stories all over the place but the home team comes first (rooting, not predicting) and then I think it's time for the Indians.

Sterling Bigmouth

Would love to see Cleveland win it just a year after Chicago. Then they can focus on making the Browns worth something :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

OK, fuck it. Here we go:

NLDS- Chicago vs Washington
Cubs in 5
NLDS- Arizona vs LA
Diamondbacks in 4

ALDS- Boston vs Houston
Houston in 5
ALDS- Yankees vs Cleveland
Indians in 5

NLCS- Arizona vs Chicago
Diamondbacks in 6

ALCS-Houston vs Cleveland
Indians in 6

WS- Arizona vs Cleveland
Indians in 5

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TC, did I miss the part where Randy Johnson is suiting up for the D'backs?

Interesting very fun game last nite. Gotta give the Rockies credit. As they saying goes, they had no quit in them. Loved, LOVED that 8th inning bunt. You just don't see that kind of thing in the AL. Hell, it's a miracle if anyone in the AL can lay down a bunt at any time. But those beards. OMG, those beards. That was some ugly shit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:TC, did I miss the part where Randy Johnson is suiting up for the D'backs?

Interesting very fun game last nite. Gotta give the Rockies credit. As they saying goes, they had no quit in them. Loved, LOVED that 8th inning bunt. You just don't see that kind of thing in the AL. Hell, it's a miracle if anyone in the AL can lay down a bunt at any time. But those beards. OMG, those beards. That was some ugly shit.
I get that they can't open with Greinke but Ray is no slouch and I like Corbin a lot too. Add to the fact that they beat up on the Dodgers this year and match up against their pitching well I like them. Oh, and Archie Bradley is this year's Andrew Miller. No guarantees but I like that team and I don't like the way my boys match up with them. I do see a path for my guys to go back to the WS but it would be against LA in the NLDS.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:TC, did I miss the part where Randy Johnson is suiting up for the D'backs?

I get that they can't open with Greinke but Ray is no slouch and I like Corbin a lot too. Add to the fact that they beat up on the Dodgers this year and match up against their pitching well I like them. Oh, and Archie Bradley is this year's Andrew Miller. No guarantees but I like that team and I don't like the way my boys match up with them. I do see a path for my guys to go back to the WS but it would be against LA in the NLDS.
TC, I feel the same way as you do about the DBacks vs Dodgers series. I have been looking to get an early peek at the Series Line on Bovada. I have to imagine when it opens there its going to be about +200 or greater. I'd definitely play it there.

P.S. I played Yankees -1.5 at +135 the day before. And sprinkled a little on DBacks -1.5 @ +125 yesterday. 2-0 start on the MLB Playoffs. Playing Bo Sox today at +115 on the Moneyline. Not touching any of the Yankees vs Indians lines with a ten foot pole. I love playoff baseball!!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Honestly I'll be fine as long as somebody beats the ducking Fodgers.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Sterling Bigmouth

Hopefully we can agree, but please God, let ANYBODY but the Yankees win it all.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Scored a ticket for today's game at Wrigley -- it should be a beautiful sunny and 70 degree day. Its great to be alive, especially if we figure out a way to beat Scherzer!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:Scored a ticket for today's game at Wrigley -- it should be a beautiful sunny and 70 degree day. Its great to be alive, especially if we figure out a way to beat Scherzer!
Have fun and bring us a win Mike! I'm guessing the lineup will be stacked with lefties. Avila is sure to play and I wouldn't be shocked to see LaStella a start as well.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mr. B wrote:Scored a ticket for today's game at Wrigley -- it should be a beautiful sunny and 70 degree day. Its great to be alive, especially if we figure out a way to beat Scherzer!
Have fun and bring us a win Mike! I'm guessing the lineup will be stacked with lefties. Avila is sure to play and I wouldn't be shocked to see LaStella a start as well.
Tribune is reporting that Jay is starting in center, Zobrist at 2nd base, so both Aviia and LeStella are on the bench. Very surprising, I wasn't sure about Avila but thought Madden would start LaStella.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I nearly just choked on the water I was drinking when overall shitstain human A.J. "Locker Room Cancer" Pierzynski spoke of the need for people to come together :roll: