MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jr29

Re: MLB 2016

Post by jr29 »

Great games. I love this shit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jr29 wrote:Great games. I love this shit.
Yeah it was great game. Much of my Cubs fan brethren are really angry but the combined performance of Kershaw and Jansen was some of the best pitching I've seen in a while. The Cubs were one break from winning and lose 1-0. No shame in that. Bring on Tuesday and the City of Angels.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jr29 wrote:Great games. I love this shit.
Yeah it was great game. Much of my Cubs fan brethren are really angry but the combined performance of Kershaw and Jansen was some of the best pitching I've seen in a while. The Cubs were one break from winning and lose 1-0. No shame in that. Bring on Tuesday and the City of Angels.
No shame in any of it and I've no idea why anyone would be angry.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Great game and not too far from historic (4 2/3 is a long way from 9 perfect innings but it is indicative of the kind of dominance kershaw displayed).

Angry about what? That the Cubs won't sweep? That a great lineup was silenced for 9 innings by the best pitcher of his generation and one of the elite closers in the game? Sheesh. Get a life and learn something about the game before you talk about it.

That Baez kid is pretty good :)

I assume the "Kershaw isn't clutch" talk is now officially buried?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

beantownbubba wrote: I assume the "Kershaw isn't clutch" talk is now officially buried?
i dont remember the exact numbers but i saw a thing about how much of kershaws playoff ERA is inflated due to bullpen meltdowns. hes left games with runners on base, sure, but give him a remotely competent bullpen for those outings and its an entirely different story

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Shakespeare wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: I assume the "Kershaw isn't clutch" talk is now officially buried?
i dont remember the exact numbers but i saw a thing about how much of kershaws playoff ERA is inflated due to bullpen meltdowns. hes left games with runners on base, sure, but give him a remotely competent bullpen for those outings and its an entirely different story
A team that isn't the Cardinals helps him, too.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

[quote

Angry about what? That the Cubs won't sweep? That a great lineup was silenced for 9 innings by the best pitcher of his generation and one of the elite closers in the game? Sheesh. Get a life and learn something about the game before you talk about it.
[/quote]

Not sure I'd call it anger, but the frustration over the playoff performances of Rizzo/Russell/Heyward continues to build and will eventually reach a fever pitch if they don't turn it around. News flash: sometimes it is difficult to hit a baseball thrown by a MLB pitcher.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:Not sure I'd call it anger, but the frustration over the playoff performances of Rizzo/Russell/Heyward continues to build and will eventually reach a fever pitch if they don't turn it around. News flash: sometimes it is difficult to hit a baseball thrown by a MLB pitcher.
Oh there's anger and defeatism after losing one game to Clayton Kershaw. It's pretty silly. The one major Dodger advantage is Kershaw and he beat us fair and square and oh by the way we only gave up up one friggin run. Russell needs to be moved down the order in favor of Baez and I'd be OK with Almora starting in place of Heyward against lefties but Rizzo is the leader of the team and isn't being moved. We just have to hope he comes around. If people are scared of Rich Hill who was terrible in the NLDS they should find another sport.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:the frustration over the playoff performances of Rizzo/Russell/Heyward continues to build and will eventually reach a fever pitch if they don't turn it around.
Compare and contrast to the legendary, but not apocryphal, story of how all of Brooklyn went to church to light candles for Gil Hodges when he was mired in a terrible slump in the world series ('55 I think but I could be off by a little). Yep, the 1950's were a long time ago in so many, many ways.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i think fans too often make the playoffs into more than they really are. even the best players have poor stretches, and those poor stretches are even more likely to happen in october considering the strength of opposition. its fair to be frustrated but when it becomes a story of a proven hitter like rizzo, or worse still, clayton kershaw, for whom "elite" is an insult, having to prove theyre a playoff performer its time to step away from the keyboard

id say if anything makes a "playoff performer" its the ability to shrink the moment and play baseball like any other day

i think the cubs still have the edge after last night. i bet the cubs looked at the kershaw start(s) as games they could afford to lose, while the dodgers had them as must wins. so essentially last night changed nothing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

One of the Cubs sites I visit has a thread someone started called "I'm Not Suicidal", I shit you not.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:One of the Cubs sites I visit has a thread someone started called "I'm Not Suicidal", I shit you not.
I suppose that's better than one called "I Am Suicidal".
Shakespeare wrote:i think the cubs still have the edge after last night. i bet the cubs looked at the kershaw start(s) as games they could afford to lose, while the dodgers had them as must wins. so essentially last night changed nothing
I guess this is just a matter of a turn of phrase but it sounds odd to me. Winning a must win game changes something, I think.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:i think the cubs still have the edge after last night. i bet the cubs looked at the kershaw start(s) as games they could afford to lose, while the dodgers had them as must wins. so essentially last night changed nothing
I guess this is just a matter of a turn of phrase but it sounds odd to me. Winning a must win game changes something, I think.
probably just semantics. i get what you mean and also wouldnt say game 2 of a 7 game series is "must win," but i do think the LA brain trust has any kershaw start circled as a "cant really afford to lose" because, its clayton kershaw, and when hes not on the mound things get a little dicey for them. the playoffs only amplify that

so basically nothing changed cuz both teams did as they should have in a kershaw start
Last edited by Shakespeare on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:One of the Cubs sites I visit has a thread someone started called "I'm Not Suicidal", I shit you not.
I suppose that's better than one called "I Am Suicidal".
Wait until another loss.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Am I the only one who could tell from first glance that his hand was gonna be split open in no time ? That thing looked awful from the word go.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

yeah that was just asking for trouble. im surprised they didnt pop during his warmups.

especially up 2-0 im not sure why cleveland didnt give him a few more days

pretty impressive when chief wahoo isnt the grossest sight on the field anymore

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mr. B wrote:Not sure I'd call it anger, but the frustration over the playoff performances of Rizzo/Russell/Heyward continues to build and will eventually reach a fever pitch if they don't turn it around. News flash: sometimes it is difficult to hit a baseball thrown by a MLB pitcher.
Oh there's anger and defeatism after losing one game to Clayton Kershaw. It's pretty silly. The one major Dodger advantage is Kershaw and he beat us fair and square and oh by the way we only gave up up one friggin run. Russell needs to be moved down the order in favor of Baez and I'd be OK with Almora starting in place of Heyward against lefties but Rizzo is the leader of the team and isn't being moved. We just have to hope he comes around. If people are scared of Rich Hill who was terrible in the NLDS they should find another sport.
Who is angry? Are they a couple of people who sit behind a computer and post about their over sensitivity regarding a special interest group like the Cubs? I don't feel as though that is a common sentiment.

I was down at the game on Sunday and I didn't see anyone that was angry. The general sentiment among people that had conversations was that if we were able to steal game 2 against Kershaw, people felt good that the Cubs could finish it off in LA. Although there are douche bags in every fanbase (especially the Chicago Bears) , I felt that people were pretty leveled headed walking out of Wrigley on Sunday. And the phone calls on sports radio yesterday were more tolerable.

Rich Hill has shockingly really solid in the past calendar year when he has been healthy, but if the Cubs offense can't win enough games against anybody not named Kershaw than they do not deserve to be playing in the WS. I think they'll get it done today, tomorrow, and Thursday.

I agree with all of your comments above regarding the lineup above for tonight's game. I'll add that I wouldn't mind Baez being moved into the cleanup spot. He is seeing the ball and taking pitches. I believe that the fear of pitching to Baez at the moment is much greater than that of Zobrist. Rizzo may see better pitches that way and it wouldn't hurt to move Zobrist down a spot. Shit I'd even be okay with batting Arrieta 8th and moving Russell down to the 9th spot as had been done much of his rookie year last year.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't dismiss the internet posters that easily. I participate actively in two cubs sites and mostly lurk on a third and some of the negative, angry comments are from people who I've shared intelligent baseball conversation with all year long. I'm not talking about bandwagon jamokes, although there are a fair number of those too. Mostly people who love the Cubs and love the game but are the type of fan that is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've been there before and I get it but this shouldn't be that. I think the Cubs are the best team, but the best team doesn't always win, just ask Boston and Toronto. This is either going to be a season of elation or I'll go down with the ship knowing that these guys will be back. I think the negativity shows a weakness in Chicago sports fandom that always bothers me and is bothering me even more this time around.

As for Rich Hill, he was awful in the NLDS but he does have a killer curve that's thrown from at least two different arm slots that's pretty deadly. The Cubs struggle with breaking balls as well. The temptation here would be for the hitters to get aggressive as they probably should have been with Kershaw but with Hill you can be patient. Take pitches and be selective. Heyward should sit tonight and Baez should move up in the order. I would personally rather see Almora in RF but I get the feeling Zobrist will move to RF and Soler will be in LF.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cubfan06 wrote:[
Who is angry? Are they a couple of people who sit behind a computer and post about their over sensitivity regarding a special interest group like the Cubs? I don't feel as though that is a common sentiment.
Must be some 400 pound guys sitting on their beds.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Some definitely could be. I have about 150 pounds to reach that level of prestige. :D'

Edit: Wait a minute. Do you think that I'm mocking people that talk on internet web boards while doing so myself? If that is what you are inferring, its not an accurate read. TC is one the most genuine dudes I have ever known. He could easily hurl 100 accurate insults in my direction, however I couldn't accurately say a single negative thing about him. Except that his musical tastes are clearly flawed since he doesn't understand the brilliance of Radiohead. That's it.

My only OPINION which I was trying to express is that surprisingly I personally feel that the modern Cubs fans during these playoffs have been more collected as I had anticipated. Nervous? For sure. I can't wait to close my laptop and throw down about 5 nervous pints down (and something else in the garage) , before the game even starts. But I'm going to enjoy and hoping that the majority of the fanbase enjoys the ride as well.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I don't dismiss the internet posters that easily. I participate actively in two cubs sites and mostly lurk on a third and some of the negative, angry comments are from people who I've shared intelligent baseball conversation with all year long. I'm not talking about bandwagon jamokes, although there are a fair number of those too. Mostly people who love the Cubs and love the game but are the type of fan that is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've been there before and I get it but this shouldn't be that. I think the Cubs are the best team, but the best team doesn't always win, just ask Boston and Toronto. This is either going to be a season of elation or I'll go down with the ship knowing that these guys will be back. I think the negativity shows a weakness in Chicago sports fandom that always bothers me and is bothering me even more this time around.

As for Rich Hill, he was awful in the NLDS but he does have a killer curve that's thrown from at least two different arm slots that's pretty deadly. The Cubs struggle with breaking balls as well. The temptation here would be for the hitters to get aggressive as they probably should have been with Kershaw but with Hill you can be patient. Take pitches and be selective. Heyward should sit tonight and Baez should move up in the order. I would personally rather see Almora in RF but I get the feeling Zobrist will move to RF and Soler will be in LF.
I'm completely on the Almora train and would highly dislike to see Soler try to hit curve balls tonight. I am the same guy though on Saturday afternoon who was texting you and everybody else about my disdain of Miguel Montero making the NLCS roster. I clearly no jack shit :lol:

I choose to not pay any credence to the folks who say this is an all or nothing series. Baseball's a random game. In the end its just a game which other than cheering loudly fans can't control.

That said, against logic, I believe that we win the next three to take this series in 5. With Kershaw pitching again on short rest against Lester on Thursday too. I board a plane for Osaka on Friday night. Not a chance that they'll win the pennant without me in The States to watch.
"Where would we be without wishful thinking?"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cubfan06 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Some definitely could be. I have about 150 pounds to reach that level of prestige. :D'

Edit: Wait a minute. Do you think that I'm mocking people that talk on internet web boards while doing so myself? If that is what you are inferring, its not an accurate read. TC is one the most genuine dudes I have ever known. He could easily hurl 100 accurate insults in my direction, however I couldn't accurately say a single negative thing about him. Except that his musical tastes are clearly flawed since he doesn't understand the brilliance of Radiohead. That's it.

My only OPINION which I was trying to express is that surprisingly I personally feel that the modern Cubs fans during these playoffs have been more collected as I had anticipated. Nervous? For sure. I can't wait to close my laptop and throw down about 5 nervous pints down (and something else in the garage) , before the game even starts. But I'm going to enjoy and hoping that the majority of the fanbase enjoys the ride as well.
I, the master of overthink, must bow and hand my crown to you. Whoa, dude, you are way overthinking this one. It was just a joke, trying to tie the Trump's reference to hackers to the sports talk radio get a lifers. Stay calm and root for the cubs.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

:lol: :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Awful display of hitting, or rather lack of hitting, tonight. Gotta hope they can bounce back tomorrow.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

URGENT TO LURLEEN: DISABLE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS, COMPUTERS, MOBILE DEVICES, RADIOS AND ANY OTHER COMM GEAR.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:URGENT TO LURLEEN: DISABLE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS, COMPUTERS, MOBILE DEVICES, RADIOS AND ANY OTHER COMM GEAR.
:lol:

Also, keep away from all ledges.
If you don't run you rust

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:URGENT TO LURLEEN: DISABLE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS, COMPUTERS, MOBILE DEVICES, RADIOS AND ANY OTHER COMM GEAR.
:lol:

Also, keep away from all ledges.
Not to worry. They have a ranch
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

No need to worry I'm not discouraged by the team, although the lack of hitting is disturbing, I think they'll win tonight. I am, however, discouraged by the fans. Every single time there's been adversity this year they've bailed on the team. Every. Single. Time. It's no way to be a fan.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've been beat up, I've been thrown out
But I'm not down, I'm not down
I've been shown up, but I've grown up
And I'm not down, I'm not down