MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: MLB 2016

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Thanks, not bad but a couple of wide misses. I did better in the NL than the AL and I should have stuck with Boston. I have no idea what I was thinking with White Sox and D-Backs.
I didn't make predictions, so I have no room to criticize.

In searching for that post, I did get a chance to reread a lot of the offseason stuff as it was happening, which was really fun
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Went to the Braves' last game at the Ted today. An incredible pitching performance by Teheran and Verlander. Both were throwing in the mid 90's and then would drop a 72 mph change up, just nasty stuff. Fun to eliminate the Tigers too. I didn't realize the Braves went 50-47 over the last 97 games so things might be looking up. Very cool pregame--they brought out a player for each position to represent the players who actually played at the stadium, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Javier Lopez got the biggest ovations. But the highlite was when they announced the pitcher's spot and Smoltz, Maddox, and Glavine come out together. Bobby Cox was there too. A fun day at the old ball yard.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Markalanbishop wrote:Went to the Braves' last game at the Ted today. An incredible pitching performance by Teheran and Verlander. Both were throwing in the mid 90's and then would drop a 72 mph change up, just nasty stuff. Fun to eliminate the Tigers too. I didn't realize the Braves went 50-47 over the last 97 games so things might be looking up. Very cool pregame--they brought out a player for each position to represent the players who actually played at the stadium, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Javier Lopez got the biggest ovations. But the highlite was when they announced the pitcher's spot and Smoltz, Maddox, and Glavine come out together. Bobby Cox was there too. A fun day at the old ball yard.
Did Bobby Cox get ejected? :lol: :lol: :lol: That would have been so cool

Big fan of the Maddux, Glavine< Smoltz trio. Too bad Steve Avery wasn't able to stay healthy, at one point he seemed like a sure thing
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^^yea he had a chance to be truly good. My buddy and I were hoping John Rocker would make an appearance :lol: Early on Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter were shown to their seats and the guy behind us says to his son, "Oh, there's that liberal, he's the second worst President we ever had, wanna know the first?" And the kids says, "Jesus Christ dad, shut the hell up would you?" If he had said that earlier, I would have kneeled during the national anthem just for fun. :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:^^^yea he had a chance to be truly good. My buddy and I were hoping John Rocker would make an appearance :lol: Early on Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter were shown to their seats and the guy behind us says to his son, "Oh, there's that liberal, he's the second worst President we ever had, wanna know the first?" And the kids says, "Jesus Christ dad, shut the hell up would you?" If he had said that earlier, I would have kneeled during the national anthem just for fun. :D
I like the cut of your jib!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tigers' 2B Nick Castellano was coming up to bat and the Braves' organist breaks into "Darling Nikki" by Prince. :lol:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Giants showed more life this weekend than they have the entire post-All Star chunk of the season
Thanks for putting up a fight, Dodgers....bunch of jagoffs.
FYI....Cards fan here.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Markalanbishop wrote:Went to the Braves' last game at the Ted today. An incredible pitching performance by Teheran and Verlander. Both were throwing in the mid 90's and then would drop a 72 mph change up, just nasty stuff. Fun to eliminate the Tigers too. I didn't realize the Braves went 50-47 over the last 97 games so things might be looking up. Very cool pregame--they brought out a player for each position to represent the players who actually played at the stadium, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Javier Lopez got the biggest ovations. But the highlite was when they announced the pitcher's spot and Smoltz, Maddox, and Glavine come out together. Bobby Cox was there too. A fun day at the old ball yard.
Very cool. The Braves have always been my "secondary" team. I generally pick my teams based on their geographical proximity to me.
That has made basketball, hockey and football difficult in the last 15 or so years.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

At last fans of the Giants and Dodgers are in agreement.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I can't get over how good Willie looked yesterday, he looked 10-15 years younger than he has of late. Maybe being around Vin reinvigorated him.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So here is why the 2nd Wild Card was such a great addition:

The play-in game burns the aces of the teams involved, which makes it an even greater advantage for the team who gets the best record. Wednesday we'll see Bumgarner vs. Syndergaard, which should be a great game, but it also means that whichever team wins won't have their ace available until Game 3 of the NLDS.

Now last year the Cubs overcame pitching Arrieta in the WC game to beat the Cardinals, so nothing is guaranteed, but overall, I think that WC play-in game gives even greater incentive to win the division

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Having 2 wild cards is good by me, at least this year.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

That is Geddy Lee sitting in the 2nd row a few seats to the first base side of home plate isn't it?

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Zip City wrote:So here is why the 2nd Wild Card was such a great addition:

The play-in game burns the aces of the teams involved, which makes it an even greater advantage for the team who gets the best record. Wednesday we'll see Bumgarner vs. Syndergaard, which should be a great game, but it also means that whichever team wins won't have their ace available until Game 3 of the NLDS.

Now last year the Cubs overcame pitching Arrieta in the WC game to beat the Cardinals, so nothing is guaranteed, but overall, I think that WC play-in game gives even greater incentive to win the division
I agree it is somewhat exciting, but gimmicky. Baseball is a game of series and one game to advance cheapens that. JMO.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Every time TBS cuts to Pickles Pub for a live shot of O's fans watching the game I chuckle.
http://www.picklespub.com/

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i love the wild card game

what a luxury it is to have a cy young candidate reliever with a perfect save percentage in your one game playoff bullpen :?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:i love the wild card game

what a luxury it is to have a cy young candidate reliever with a perfect save percentage in your one game playoff bullpen :?
Terrible managing by Showalter.

I still can't stand the WC game. It's a one and done in a sport that isn't built for it. It should be a 3 game series and even that is essentially random.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

One game playoffs make no sense, but it's not like it's a surprise to anyone. It is indeed serious incentive to win the division. OTOH, watching an 11 inning walkoff thriller is not a bad way to spend an evening. Until extras the game was moving along at a nice clip, too.

I assume Showalter is getting a ration or 2 of shit for his "use" of the bullpen?

I'd be more impressed w/ the O's fans' fervor if any of them had been at camden yards last week :roll:

A fan threw a can (bottle?) at a player trying to make a play. In Canada???!!! :shock: :shock: What is the world coming to?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:One game playoffs make no sense, but it's not like it's a surprise to anyone. It is indeed serious incentive to win the division. OTOH, watching an 11 inning walkoff thriller is not a bad way to spend an evening. Until extras the game was moving along at a nice clip, too.

I assume Showalter is getting a ration or 2 of shit for his "use" of the bullpen?

I'd be more impressed w/ the O's fans' fervor if any of them had been at camden yards last week :roll:

A fan threw a can (bottle?) at a player trying to make a play. In Canada???!!! :shock: :shock: What is the world coming to?
Yeah that was bad and there were racial epitaphs involved as well. Bad news.

Ok so now that the ALDS series are set here are my picks:

Boston sweeps Cleveland
Toronto over Texas in 4

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I still can't stand the WC game. It's a one and done in a sport that isn't built for it. It should be a 3 game series and even that is essentially random.
Getting nervous about the Giants?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: I still can't stand the WC game. It's a one and done in a sport that isn't built for it. It should be a 3 game series and even that is essentially random.
Nervous isn't the word really but clearly a short sample size series of 5 games is not the Cubs friend and your boys pitching is more formidable than that of NY. I've maintained for weeks that if the Cubs win the NLDS they'll win the whole thing but they are vulnerable in a 5 game series to a team that can outpitch them, however briefly, and that's no the Mets. Still if it's your guys then bring it. You can only play who is on the schedule.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Nervous isn't the word really but clearly a short sample size series of 5 games is not the Cubs friend and your boys pitching is more formidable than that of NY. I've maintained for weeks that if the Cubs win the NLDS they'll win the whole thing but they are vulnerable in a 5 game series to a team that can outpitch them, however briefly, and that's no the Mets. Still if it's your guys then bring it. You can only play who is on the schedule.
In other words, "Let's Go Mets." Sorry Rod, your guys have won enough world series to last a while. :D

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

the second wild card isnt going anywhere (i get the idea that widening the playoff window isnt necessarily a good thing, but baseball is rightfully in the business of keeping as many fanbases excited as long as possible) and the only real alternative to a do or die game is a 3 game series. at that point is it really fair to make the higher seeds sit at home for over a week? theres already talk that the wild card momentum carries lower seeds further than theyd otherwise go. is a 3 game series really any more fair in the grand scheme of things? even 7 games is cruel given baseballs grind, so i dont get worked up about a one game playoff at all. by now surely the entire league has seen the range of insanity that can occur in these games, so if the goal is to motivate teams not to settle for a wild card, mission accomplished. if its to keep the regular season competitive through game 162, mission accomplished.

ive watched all the WC games so far and there hasnt been a dud in the bunch. granted, theyve never invovled my team (though the pirates are my backup) but still, as an objective fan theyre thrilling like nothing else

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:the second wild card isnt going anywhere (i get the idea that widening the playoff window isnt necessarily a good thing, but baseball is rightfully in the business of keeping as many fanbases excited as long as possible) and the only real alternative to a do or die game is a 3 game series. at that point is it really fair to make the higher seeds sit at home for over a week? theres already talk that the wild card momentum carries lower seeds further than theyd otherwise go. is a 3 game series really any more fair in the grand scheme of things? even 7 games is cruel given baseballs grind, so i dont get worked up about a one game playoff at all. by now surely the entire league has seen the range of insanity that can occur in these games, so if the goal is to motivate teams not to settle for a wild card, mission accomplished. if its to keep the regular season competitive through game 162, mission accomplished.

ive watched all the WC games so far and there hasnt been a dud in the bunch. granted, theyve never invovled my team (though the pirates are my backup) but still, as an objective fan theyre thrilling like nothing else
You're not wrong on any of that I just hate the format. Do or die isn't any part of baseball in any other situation other than to break a tie in a game 163 which, when they happen, are actually regular season games. The one thing that might make the WC go away is expansion. If they add one team to each league and go to 4 divisions the problem is solved and you could actually expand the DS to 7 games. In a perfect world I'd make the WS 9 games but that's just dreaming.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:In a perfect world I'd make the WS 9 games but that's just dreaming.
Or having a nightmare. You are a sick man, cowboy. :lol:
Shakespeare wrote:if the goal is to motivate teams not to settle for a wild card, mission accomplished. if its to keep the regular season competitive through game 162, mission accomplished.
True and fundamentally unavoidable in today's market. But still...*

*As long as we're dreaming, imagine a 150-ish game schedule w/ the season starting and ending in better weather and the first 2 rounds of the playoffs extended to 3 and 7 games, respectively. And the entire playoffs played in better weather, too. (Couldn't believe that the roof was open in Toronto last nite! Global warming's upside i guess).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So you know I'm pretty well set for the playoffs. I know how good the Cubs are but I also know the nature of baseball and the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed and while my boys have the greatest odds of winning of any team going into the playoffs in a decade those odds are still only 25% to win the whole thing, which means a 75% chance against it. I'm good with that. Theo Epstein's philosophy is to build a team that will get to the playoffs most years and that and that alone gives you the best chance at a championship. I'm good with that too. Last year was the first time in my life that I really thought the Cubs were getting better and would be back and they are. I'll feel teh same win or lose this year. This team isn't going away. What I can't handle is bullshit like this

6 reasons why the Chicago Cubs' World Series drought will continue

This is lazy drivel for the masses or I guess the kids call "clickbait". More accurately "make Dean's head explode bait". This isn't because I think he's wrong, clearly he's 75% right by the numbers going in but the bullshit is strong in this one. Curses, losing is what the Cubs do, and even when he makes a salient point like with the inconsistency of Jake Arrieta he mostly resorts to vagaries and more crap. I could write a piece to go along with this headline that is based in statistics and probabilities unlike this motherfucker's faux-charming anecdotal evidence. There's a case to be made that the Cubs won't win and it's a compelling one. Any fan should be able to make it going into this thing so they're not a nervous wreck for the next few weeks. I'm going to try to keep an even keel but I'm not sure I can be trusted if someone asks me about goats. :evil:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So you know I'm pretty well set for the playoffs. I know how good the Cubs are but I also know the nature of baseball and the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed and while my boys have the greatest odds of winning of any team going into the playoffs in a decade those odds are still only 25% to win the whole thing, which means a 75% chance against it. I'm good with that. Theo Epstein's philosophy is to build a team that will get to the playoffs most years and that and that alone gives you the best chance at a championship. I'm good with that too. Last year was the first time in my life that I really thought the Cubs were getting better and would be back and they are. I'll feel teh same win or lose this year. This team isn't going away. What I can't handle is bullshit like this

6 reasons why the Chicago Cubs' World Series drought will continue

This is lazy drivel for the masses or I guess the kids call "clickbait". More accurately "make Dean's head explode bait". This isn't because I think he's wrong, clearly he's 75% right by the numbers going in but the bullshit is strong in this one. Curses, losing is what the Cubs do, and even when he makes a salient point like with the inconsistency of Jake Arrieta he mostly resorts to vagaries and more crap. I could write a piece to go along with this headline that is based in statistics and probabilities unlike this motherfucker's faux-charming anecdotal evidence. There's a case to be made that the Cubs won't win and it's a compelling one. Any fan should be able to make it going into this thing so they're not a nervous wreck for the next few weeks. I'm going to try to keep an even keel but I'm not sure I can be trusted if someone asks me about goats. :evil:
As the kids say, may be time to "change your strain" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

:lol:

Important safety tip. Thanks Egon...err WWCD.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't if you could get two better games in the wildcard round. I 100% disagree that the WC road would be better as a 3 game series