MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: MLB 2016

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:i was in pittsburgh this weekend to visit the grandparents and see a nats/bucs game with my dad. the stars aligned in several ways so we were at saturday nights clincher, and it was a great time. scoreboard watching between every pitch to see if the phillies had blown their 10-0 lead yet, then 20 minutes after the nats won the mets loss went official and the large group of nats fans behind the visitors dugout went crazy. it was a neat moment, right up there with the 18 inning game we saw in dc this summer and the scherzer no hitter last summer.

then to wake up to jose fernandez news was just awful. that kid was everything a baseball player should be and then some. i feel privileged to have watched his last start (when, of course, he mowed the nats down. 12 k's in 8 innings) and it absolutely sucks not to see him keep doing so for years to come. very few pitchers projected that aura where you tune in every time as an opposing fan knowing damn well there wasnt a chance in hell, but eager to watch it anyway. fernandez had it, and he was only getting better. i know its a cliche but the "what could have been" thoughts are really crushing me today. id been hoping to see max scherzer sneak his way into the top cy young spot with one more great outing but its hard to argue against giving it to jose. pedro martinez said he saw a greater talent than himself and based on what fernandez had already done, he might have been right

between this and vin scully retiring my impending playoff buzz is seriously tempered right now

From what I'm hearing today while there will certainly be a segment of folks who would like to see Fernandez with the Cy Young posthumously most of what I'm hearing and reading is indicating that will not be the case. The numbers simply aren't there and the BBWAA is probably not going to collectively give an award based on narrative. Frankly I'd make an exception myself but I get it. In the end the NL Cy Young is likely to go down to Scherzer, Lester and Hendricks in a very close vote. Cubs fans think that Lester nailed it down last night but Hendricks pitches the last day of the season and Scherzer will pitch again. Pick em.

Nice that you got to see the clincher. Now y'all have to hold on for the home field edge against LA. Yes the playoffs have been a bit diminished by Fernandez' tragic death but there is baseball to be played and it sure seems to me that this was a guy who would not want a pall cast over it by him.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Numbers aren't there? I thought he was one of the top fWAR leaders?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i hadnt been super closely following the cy talk but i had seen jose mentioned as a very real candidate (along with syndergaard, scherzer, bumgarner, and the cubs in that second tier below kershaw) pretty much since kershaw went down (and sorry but two months is just too much to make up, even as dominant as he was up to that point), so i dont think giving it to him would be entirely due to his death. he had great numbers, kept an otherwise weak team afloat through september, and now forever represents seemingly unlimited untapped potential. i think itd take a real curmudgeon to have any problem with that (although given baseballs writers its certainly no sure thing)

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

a fielder faking a tag or catch to trick the runner isnt that uncommon a play, right? i swear ive seen it happen just about everywhere on the field many times (and get lauded as crafty baseball), but nats people are in an uproar about it happening yesterday and tricking harper into a late and unnecessary slide and potential hand injury

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:a fielder faking a tag or catch to trick the runner isnt that uncommon a play, right? i swear ive seen it happen just about everywhere on the field many times (and get lauded as crafty baseball), but nats people are in an uproar about it happening yesterday and tricking harper into a late and unnecessary slide and potential hand injury
Happens all the time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

great, so its not just me :D

i watched the game on the pirates broadcast and their tv crew said its standard practice, a sliding runner is less likely to advance another base, etc, so i filed it under shit happens, then i get home and catch up on the nats perspective and boy was i wrong. just hope theres no carry over. my dad and i try to do a game in dc and one in pitt each summer and id hate to see any of them marred by dumb grudges from a meaningless game this year

as silly as baseball fights are i did enjoy jayson werth doing some heavy instigating and somehow dodging an ejection, only to pinch hit (presumably at his request, since it was his post-clincher hangover day off) a few innings later to launch a game tying home run to center amidst the boos

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:i hadnt been super closely following the cy talk but i had seen jose mentioned as a very real candidate (along with syndergaard, scherzer, bumgarner, and the cubs in that second tier below kershaw) pretty much since kershaw went down (and sorry but two months is just too much to make up, even as dominant as he was up to that point), so i dont think giving it to him would be entirely due to his death. he had great numbers, kept an otherwise weak team afloat through september, and now forever represents seemingly unlimited untapped potential. i think itd take a real curmudgeon to have any problem with that (although given baseballs writers its certainly no sure thing)
From the Sons of Sam Horn site:

"The three-time former Cy winner (and MVP) suffered through an injury-plagued season, limiting him to just 20 starts. Because of the time he missed, he does not qualify on the leaderboard for many of the major statistical categories. However, the best pitcher on the planet would lead – in some cases, by leaps and bounds – all of baseball if he had thrown a few more innings. His WHIP is an astonishing 0.71 and he has a strikeout per walk ratio of an unbelievable 16.8. His microscopic FIP of 1.66 is… awe-inspiring. He is on track have an ERA+ of 223, which would be the 16th best single-season mark in baseball history. He has more wins than walks this season (12 wins to 10 BB)."

I don't think Kershaw should win the cy this year but more wins than walks... WTF?????!!!!!!

I'm conflicted on Fernandez winning the cy: If one assumes that all things being equal (like a 24 year old w/ all the talent in the world still being alive) Fernandez would not have won the award, then I sympathize w/ both points of view. As of today, If he wins it I wouldn't be upset but I don't think I'd vote for him. But I reserve the right to change my mind over the next week. Multiple times.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Numbers aren't there? I thought he was one of the top fWAR leaders?
He is but WAR doesn't seem to be a large predictor of CY. This model doesn't even have Fernandez

http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

This one has Fernandez 6th. This is based on a Bill James formula and has accurately predicted 9 of the last 10 CY winners in both leagues in the last 5 years.

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/ ... Tracker.py

All that said I think Fernandez should get it.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

beantownbubba wrote: I don't think Kershaw should win the cy this year but more wins than walks... WTF?????!!!!!!
agreed. his injuries are a damn shame, both for his trophy case, and for the lost chance for us fans to see if he could possibly have kept it up all year. had he done so, the discussion moves from 2016 cy young worthy to the greatest season of all time

that kinda reinforces why i think fernandez gets it. it was already a race of, for lack of a better term, second choices. hard then to begrudge giving it to someone who obviously wont ever get it again. ordinarily i dont think past or future should be a consideration, but this isnt an ordinary case

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

you guys are a bunch of WARmongers
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i challenge anyone to watch dee gordons leadoff at bat tonight with dry eyes

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So Kyle Hendricks goes 6IP with 0 ER in his final start, meaning he will finish the season with a 1.99 ERA

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:So Kyle Hendricks goes 6IP with 0 ER in his final start, meaning he will finish the season with a 1.99 ERA
He's actually starting Sunday. Otherwise it would be12 days between starts assuming he starts game 2 of the NLDS.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare wrote:i challenge anyone to watch dee gordons leadoff at bat tonight with dry eyes
fuck, I just got home from seeing a sort of "meh" Bruce Hornsby show and just saw this.

Damn :cry: :cry: :cry:

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Our long lost 3DD poster drtpants messaged me today and said Fernandez was the biggest loss by death the game has seen since Thurman Munson. That sounds right to me, not that all lives lost aren't tragedies but in a sense of the game losing a huge piece of itself. I've been upset about this all day. This was truly an amazing baseball player and by every account a wonderful human.
agree. I was huge Munson fan, was 13 when he died and man, it broke my heart. I was a catcher and he was my hero. Still painful to think about

And out of the blue my memory just flashed on Lyman Bostock's death
I believe Roberto Clemente's passing was the biggest loss by death.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Agreed on Clemente but how it was sais to me was that the Death of Jose Fernandez was the biggest death in the sport since Thurman Munson. I think that's hard to argue. Clemente, Munson and Fernandez are clearly the most impactful deaths MLB has seen. Not a contest though. Just a tragedy.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Agreed on Clemente but how it was sais to me was that the Death of Jose Fernandez was the biggest death in the sport since Thurman Munson. I think that's hard to argue. Clemente, Munson and Fernandez are clearly the most impactful deaths MLB has seen. Not a contest though. Just a tragedy.
This is probably "Captain Obvious" territory, but a distinct difference between Munson/Fernandez and Clemente is that Munson & Fernandez died in the midst of the season. Not that it matters in the end.....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is a public service announcement: Joe Sheehan is offering his newsletter from now through the end of the World Series for $7.95 and then I think you get a pretty good deal if you want to turn it into an annual subscription. Highly recommended. TC, you'd love today's offering which is about how the wild card races this year are a "celebration" of mediocrity. Meanwhile did you (that's all of u) know that the Cubs have led their division by 3 games or more every day since 4/20? (No joke intended, just a measure of a pretty impressive run).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah. Well. Ever have one of those moments when you can't talk about it but u just HAVE to talk about it? JFC. No, I can't talk about it.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Any fellow Tigers fans here? Gotta keep Zimmermann on the world's shortest leash tonight. Ball's on the Tigers' racket from here, to borrow a metaphor from a different sport.

whatwouldcooleydo?

words don't exist to describe the beauty of this

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Big fun in St Louis. Three wins in a row when they had to have them.

whatwouldcooleydo?

damn, I need 4 TVs right now: Giant/Dodgers, Heels/FSU, Ryder Cup, and Michigan/Wisconsin!

If my Saturday needed a theme album it would be

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

ndavis86 wrote:Any fellow Tigers fans here? Gotta keep Zimmermann on the world's shortest leash tonight. Ball's on the Tigers' racket from here, to borrow a metaphor from a different sport.
Brutal loss last night; I suppose if we can't beat the Braves we don't deserve to be the playoffs. Amazing what the doormat Braves have done against contenders in the last few weeks. So now all the Tigers have to do is win today, hope that either Baltimore or Toronto lose, then win the make-up game vs. Cleveland tomorrow. And then they will qualify for a play-off game on the road to get into the wild card game, so if they win that, they will make the wild card game. So that would be 4 wins in 4 days in 4 separate cities just to get to the first round of the playoffs. Not liking our chances.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

WWCD, it would appear that your Giants are nearly officially the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. Whatever that means.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:WWCD, it would appear that your Giants are nearly officially the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. Whatever that means.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Giants showed more life this weekend than they have the entire post-All Star chunk of the season

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so now the projections done I'll post my sure to be wrong predictions. The only changes from my projections is that I now think Toronto is the favorite in the Al East and I think the White Sox will better than I thought previously shaking up the AL Central a little. Boston could still win in the East but with no pitcher really stepping up in camp I'm thinking they'll need to acquire one to really be considered the favorite here. The Panda and a prospect for James Shields trade rumor is interesting but A.J. Preller in San Diego might not bite, in fact I'm not sure why he would. Ok here goes. I really think the White Sox are a playoff team behind a Cy Young performance from Chris Sale.

AL Central

1. Detroit Tigers
2. Chicago White Sox
3. KC Royals
4. Cleveland Indians
5. Minnesota Twins

AL East

1. Toronto Blue Jays
2. Boston Red Sox
3. Tampa Bay Rays
4. New York Yankees
5. Baltimore Orioles

AL West

1. Houston Astros
2. Texas Rangers
3. Seattle Mariners
4. Oakland A's
5. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Wild Card

Texas Rangers
Chicago White Sox

ALCS

Houston Astros vs. Texas Rangers

AL Pennant: Houston Astros

NL East

1. Washington Nationals
2. New York Mets
3. Miami Marlins
4. Philadelphia Phillies
5. Atlanta Braves

NL Central

1. Chicago Cubs
2. St. Louis Cardinals
3. Pittsburgh Pirates
4. Milwaukee Brewers
5. Cincinnati Reds

NL West

1. San Francisco Giants
2. Arizona Diamondbacks
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. San Diego Padres
5. Colorado Rockies

Wild Card

St Louis Cardinals
NY Mets

NLCS

Chicago Cubs vs. SF Giants

NL Pennant Chicago Cubs

World Series

Chicago Cubs vs, Houston Astros

World Series Champs

Chicago Cubs

NL MVP

Bryce Harper

NL Cy Young

Stephen Strasburg

NL Rookie of the Year

Corey Seager

AL MVP

Carlos Correa

AL Cy Young

Chris Sale

AL Rookie of the Year

Blake Snell

Digging this up to say: "Pretty, pretty, pretty good". Baseball is the toughest sport to predict and TC did a damn good job

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Thanks, not bad but a couple of wide misses. I did better in the NL than the AL and I should have stuck with Boston. I have no idea what I was thinking with White Sox and D-Backs.