MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

OkieinTexas

Re: MLB 2016

Post by OkieinTexas »

Wow, who would have thought Rick Porcello would become the first 20-game winner? I am a massive Sawks (voicing Wilbon) fan, but I never saw this coming.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

OkieinTexas wrote:Wow, who would have thought Rick Porcello would become the first 20-game winner? I am a massive Sawks (voicing Wilbon) fan, but I never saw this coming.
Haven't you heard? Wins are not important.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:Wow, who would have thought Rick Porcello would become the first 20-game winner? I am a massive Sawks (voicing Wilbon) fan, but I never saw this coming.
Oh FFS
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

LBRod wrote:
I totally missed your point. My bad.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:
Do you think the win stat is important Rod? I'm taking nothing away from Porcello, he's had a strong year, but Madison Bumgarner has 6 less wins with similar numbers (adjusting for the league difference) and which guy would you rather have? Pitchers with high win totals are very likely to have pretty good numbers but much lower win totals don't mean the reverse. There isn't a huge outlier this year, a guy with great numbers with a paltry win total, as there are in some years but win totals in and of themselves are fairly meaningless because the outcome of a game in W/L usually comes down to much more than a starting pitcher. I honestly don't understand, with what we know about the game and the metrics involved, that this is even a discussion anymore.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

You are thinking way too hard here, TC. This time Zip has the proper response to my snark.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

one might not be premature by sticking a fork in the Giants :x :x :x
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:one might not be premature by sticking a fork in the Giants :x :x :x
Seriously. WTH? With 6 left with LA head to head I've still thought they'd be fighting hard at this point.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:one might not be premature by sticking a fork in the Giants :x :x :x
Seriously. WTH? With 6 left with LA head to head I've still thought they'd be fighting hard at this point.
last night's loss was soul-crushing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know if the story is getting any national attention, but if not, check out what Dustin Pedroia has done since moving to the leadoff spot (about 6 wks ago I think). Absolutely extraordinary. From out of nowhere (a fine but for him a somewhat expected season), he's inserted himself into both the batting title race and the MVP discussion. It's nice to be healthy.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't know if the story is getting any national attention, but if not, check out what Dustin Pedroia has done since moving to the leadoff spot (about 6 wks ago I think). Absolutely extraordinary. From out of nowhere (a fine but for him a somewhat expected season), he's inserted himself into both the batting title race and the MVP discussion. It's nice to be healthy.
Yeah, he's been great. I've been enjoying your boys a lot lately and they look like they're going to prove me right and win that Division. Good to see that Price is Price again. Hope to see y'all in the WS (fingers crossed tightly).

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote: Hope to see y'all in the WS (fingers crossed tightly).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Alright. One box for the season checked! Go Cubs!

As blasphemous as this is to say, I hope the Cardinals can get on a winning streak to and play into the NLDS. I know that we can man handle them. Although I like Giants fans, I'm perfectly content keeping their team out of Wrigley in October.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:Image

As blasphemous as this is to say, I hope the Cardinals can get on a winning streak to and play into the NLDS. I know that we can man handle them. Although I like Giants fans, I'm perfectly content keeping their team out of Wrigley in October.
I'm not sure I want that kind of drama. I think we can beat any of the teams to be honest, although the 5 game NLDS might be the toughest challend. Casey Sterns on MLB Radio said the other day that if the Cubs are to lose it will be in that series otherwise he believes a WS is in the Cubs future. I agree with that. I'm not sure I want to be playing the guys who most want to wipe the smug looks of Cubs fans faces. The best NLDS matchup for the Cubs is probably the Mets who will almost certainly burn Syndergaard in a WC game and then open game 1 of the NLDS with Bartolo Colon followed by Jacob deGrom who's arm might fall off at any moment.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:Image

I'm not sure I want that kind of drama. I think we can beat any of the teams to be honest, although the 5 game NLDS might be the toughest challend. Casey Sterns on MLB Radio said the other day that if the Cubs are to lose it will be in that series otherwise he believes a WS is in the Cubs future. I agree with that. I'm not sure I want to be playing the guys who most want to wipe the smug looks of Cubs fans faces. The best NLDS matchup for the Cubs is probably the Mets who will almost certainly burn Syndergaard in a WC game and then open game 1 of the NLDS with Bartolo Colon followed by Jacob deGrom who's arm might fall off at any moment.
Why are you concerned regardless? You guys are the 2007 Patriots of baseball, nothing but smooth sailing in front of you

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

^ ^ ^

The butthurt is strong with this one

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:^ ^ ^

it isn't butthurt, I've never been around Jerry Sandusky :lol: I just don't like your team and I don't want them to win. Two vastly different concepts.

Not surprised you don't see the humor that I assumed was implicate

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

it isn't butthurt, I've never been around Jerry Sandusky :lol: I just don't like your team and I don't want them to win. Two vastly different concepts.

Don't worry, it's an even year so your team automatically wins or something

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Don't worry, it's an even year so your team automatically wins or something
we ain't winning jack shit this year.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Last nite's Red Sox comeback win over the Evil Empire was incredibly exciting and oh so satisfying. Down 5-1 early, the Sox got w/in 5-3 on the strength of a shut down bullpen (not w/out drama, but the bottom line is the bottom line) and 3 ribbies from Big Papi, including dinger #537 passing mickey freakin' mantle (!!!! I'm talking about the achievement not the irony of doing it last nite). Mookie Betts makes it 5-4 and there are 2 out and 2 on when Hanley Ramirez steps in against mr. 99mph Bettances. 5 pitches later Hanley is drenched in gatorade and the Sox are 7-5 winners. Made up for the excruciating and almost inexplicable 1-0 loss to the Birds the nite before. I don't understand how the Yankees got this far after their mid-season retooling but clearly they could have used Andrew Miller last nite lol.

While Sox-Yankees games are by tradition incredibly super long, which is not a very good thing, there is no substitute for the drama that can only come from a game w/out a clock. You gotta get all 27 outs; 26 & a half won't do. Great stuff. Let's hope it's THE turning point for the Sox.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

mariners trying to drum up interest by offering upper deck seats for $8. problematic as it is FOOTBALL season & we have both good college & nfl action. of course, the ms came home on an 8 game win streak & immediately wet the bed in front of a big crowd. i tried but i can't get too riled up about a potential (if everything breaks really right) wild card game. we've been burned too many times here. i will say that next year the team may make things interesting. i'm fine with waiting until then.

whatwouldcooleydo?

received this in a text last night from a friend at Giants/Cards game in SF:

overheard in bathroom--"I'd put a poster of Casilla on my door but then it wouldn't close" :x :x :x

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:Image
they got one of these in 2011 too......just saying.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Priceless: 4 game sweep of the Evil Empire, coming from behind 3 times. Hanley Ramirez is unconscious, Koji Uehara and Craig Kimbrel may be back in form and we are buckling our seat belts for the home stretch against divisional opponents.

whatwouldcooleydo?

last night was a devastating loss. Whatever was left of the Giants' soul was crushed last night. Just brutal

not that long ago it seemed like the only question was how many games over 20 would Bumgarner win. Jokes on me

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:Priceless: 4 game sweep of the Evil Empire, coming from behind 3 times. Hanley Ramirez is unconscious, Koji Uehara and Craig Kimbrel may be back in form and we are buckling our seat belts for the home stretch against divisional opponents.

Looks like the Sox are the team to beat, they are playing great. Sox v. Cubs would be epic. My Tigers just don't have enough to get to the Wild Card -- they need to get hot and it would help if Baltimore or Toronto starts tanking. Going 7-9 in September against some marginal teams sure isn't helping and losing Zimmerman for several months has killed them. By the way, Justin Verlander is a freaking stud who keeps coming up big. 4th best pitching WAR in baseball. You have to give the guy credit for being such a competitor when he could be mailing it in with the huge contract.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Priceless: 4 game sweep of the Evil Empire, coming from behind 3 times. Hanley Ramirez is unconscious, Koji Uehara and Craig Kimbrel may be back in form and we are buckling our seat belts for the home stretch against divisional opponents.

Looks like the Sox are the team to beat, they are playing great. Sox v. Cubs would be epic. My Tigers just don't have enough to get to the Wild Card -- they need to get hot and it would help if Baltimore or Toronto starts tanking. Going 7-9 in September against some marginal teams sure isn't helping and losing Zimmerman for several months has killed them. By the way, Justin Verlander is a freaking stud who keeps coming up big. 4th best pitching WAR in baseball. You have to give the guy credit for being such a competitor when he could be mailing it in with the huge contract.
I think it's even more than that with Verlander, he's reinvented himself. Two years ago he looked done. His K's were under 7 per 9 and his velo was down a whopping 2.5 mph from his 2009 peak. Verlander was always a guy who could struggle with command at times but his stuff more than made up for it, until it didn't. He seemingly was ill equipped to adjust and was flat out bad. Now he's slowed the velo drop with conditioning and developed the kind of command that most guys dealing with lost velocity never come close to. I was sure he was done. Now he's once again one of the best in the game. Impressive and fun to watch.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mr. B wrote:

I think it's even more than that with Verlander, he's reinvented himself. Two years ago he looked done. His K's were under 7 per 9 and his velo was down a whopping 2.5 mph from his 2009 peak. Verlander was always a guy who could struggle with command at times but his stuff more than made up for it, until it didn't. He seemingly was ill equipped to adjust and was flat out bad. Now he's slowed the velo drop with conditioning and developed the kind of command that most guys dealing with lost velocity never come close to. I was sure he was done. Now he's once again one of the best in the game. Impressive and fun to watch.
Verlander and Ortiz on the same program, perhaps?

I kid, I kid :lol: :lol: :lol:

glad to see Verlander back, really like him and wish he was on my team

plus, he has this going for him, which is nice