MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

emandrisdad

Re: MLB 2016

Post by emandrisdad »

I'm bundling up and getting ready to head to the stadium for the Yankees opener.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Chew on this for a second; Jake Arrieta has gone 17 straight starts without allowing more hits than innings pitched.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Chew on this for a second; Jake Arrieta has gone 17 straight starts without allowing more hits than innings pitched.
One of the reasons he won they CY. When you finish that strong, and the race is that close, subconsciously "what have you done for me lately" becomes a factor. I predict it will be a horserace between he and Kershaw again, and the social anxiety of Grenkie will kick in after the expectations of signing such a big contract with a new team.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

oilpiers wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Chew on this for a second; Jake Arrieta has gone 17 straight starts without allowing more hits than innings pitched.
One of the reasons he won they CY. When you finish that strong, and the race is that close, subconsciously "what have you done for me lately" becomes a factor. I predict it will be a horserace between he and Kershaw again, and the social anxiety of Grenkie will kick in after the expectations of signing such a big contract with a new team.
I'd add Matt Harvey, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg in a walk year to that Cy Young discussion as well. Obviously I want to see Arrieta do it again but if I were putting money on it I'd go Strasburg because if that guy wins the Cy Young at 28 years old, not to mention being the only TOR pitcher available in FA, he will sign the biggest pitching contract in history eclipsing Price. That's a lot of incentive.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

id like to see strasburg hit that higher gear this year and contend for a cy young, but his body will need to cooperate

also how perfect is it that the first controversial instance of the new slide rule (correctly applied, imo. he made a clean slide then blew it by swiping at the leg anyway) requires the old school respect the game crowd to defend jose bautista :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Trevor Story. Wow.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

In three games the Cubs have scored 29 runs while giving up 7. Unfortunately Kyle Scwarber was injured in last night's drubbing. Hoping for a good MRI result.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:In three games the Cubs have scored 29 runs while giving up 7. Unfortunately Kyle Scwarber was injured in last night's drubbing. Hoping for a good MRI result.
that looked
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Shakespeare wrote:id like to see strasburg hit that higher gear this year and contend for a cy young, but his body will need to cooperate

also how perfect is it that the first controversial instance of the new slide rule (correctly applied, imo. he made a clean slide then blew it by swiping at the leg anyway) requires the old school respect the game crowd to defend jose bautista :lol:
I wouldnt piss on Bautista if he was on fire...what a loser

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Schwarber out for the year. Fully torn MCL and LCL
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Schwarber out for the year. Fully torn MCL and LCL
Awful. He's by far and away my favorite Cubs player. I hope he makes it fully back next year. The Cubs are built to withstand one injury though. Lots of pressure on Soler and Baez now.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Schwarber out for the year. Fully torn MCL and LCL
Awful. He's by far and away my favorite Cubs player. I hope he makes it fully back next year. The Cubs are built to withstand one injury though. Lots of pressure on Soler and Baez now.
Bummer for Schwarber, and for all you super excited Cubs fans.
If you don't run you rust

whatwouldcooleydo?

this date 42 years ago

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ouch. Sounds bad for Schwarber. Tough break for him and the team, no pun intended.

Exciting game in Toronto tonite as the Sox came back from 7-2 down, each team hit a grand slam, David Ortiz continued to get younger and the bullpen was superb including Kimbrel's first save.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Ouch. Sounds bad for Schwarber. Tough break for him and the team, no pun intended.

Exciting game in Toronto tonite as the Sox came back from 7-2 down, each team hit a grand slam, David Ortiz continued to get younger and the bullpen was superb including Kimbrel's first save.
i know a lot of Cubs fans wanted Schwarber out of the outfield but this is taking it way too far ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Cubs will be OK. Baez and Soler will have to step up and if it's Baez you'll see a lot of Bryant in LF. I just wish the best for Schwarber, he's a tough minded kid and he'll need to be.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Yes, they'll be fine. The Cubs have built depth, and this drops their predicted win total from 95 to 93 (per fangraphs). It's a shame that we won't get to watch him crush monster homers this summer, but the team will persevere

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip City wrote:Yes, they'll be fine. The Cubs have built depth, and this drops their predicted win total from 95 to 93 (per fangraphs). It's a shame that we won't get to watch him crush monster homers this summer, but the team will persevere
Yep. Signing Fowler at the last minute now looks like the move of the year.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:
Zip City wrote:Yes, they'll be fine. The Cubs have built depth, and this drops their predicted win total from 95 to 93 (per fangraphs). It's a shame that we won't get to watch him crush monster homers this summer, but the team will persevere
Yep. Signing Fowler at the last minute now looks like the move of the year.
And not trading Soler which was rumored every other day. Right now, today I'm happier he's on the team than if they had Julio Teheran or Jake Odorizzi but I suppose that could change.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dodger rookie pulled from no-hitter in the 8th inning of his major league debut. Manager Dave Roberts says it was a "no-brainer." ESPN says it's "controversial." What do y'all say? (I say pull him but i don't really think it was as easy as Roberts says; in any case I can't see the controversy here).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Dodger rookie pulled from no-hitter in the 8th inning of his major league debut. Manager Dave Roberts says it was a "no-brainer." ESPN says it's "controversial." What do y'all say? (I say pull him but i don't really think it was as easy as Roberts says; in any case I can't see the controversy here).
I think he could've made history as the first pitcher in 100+ years to throw a no-no in his MLB debut. He's a fill-in starter until one of the real starters gets healthy. Oh, and the Dodgers lost the game. So I'd say Roberts was 0 for 3

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

no-hitters are fluky individual accomplishments

if he was looking gassed (and i didnt watch the game so i have no idea) roberts made the right call, whether they ultimately won or not.

"hes just a fill-in starter" is a garbage reason to throw post-tj caution to the wind and wear the kid out in his debut

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:no-hitters are fluky individual accomplishments

if he was looking gassed (and i didnt watch the game so i have no idea) roberts made the right call, whether they ultimately won or not.

"hes just a fill-in starter" is a garbage reason to throw post-tj caution to the wind and wear the kid out in his debut
it wasn't like he was at 130 pitches

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:Dodger rookie pulled from no-hitter in the 8th inning of his major league debut. Manager Dave Roberts says it was a "no-brainer." ESPN says it's "controversial." What do y'all say? (I say pull him but i don't really think it was as easy as Roberts says; in any case I can't see the controversy here).
It would have helped the manager's case if the first batter up against the reliever hadn't popped a home run. But the pitcher in question says it was the right call, that he felt tired and knew he must've looked tired. And he says what really was on his mind that he'd just walked a batter when his team was up 2-0, and that he felt bad about that.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

pitches thrown while trying to finish off a no hitter are going to be among the most stressful a pitcher can throw. pitch count numbers wont accurately reflect that

again, ill defer to people with firsthand knowledge of how he looked as the game went on, but i dont think a rookie fresh of tommy john should be left in to chase personal glory if his stuff was fading already. thats when injuries occur most.

funny you criticize dusty for handling young arms poorly but think the dodgers should have pushed this one in the name of personal glory

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:pitches thrown while trying to finish off a no hitter are going to be among the most stressful a pitcher can throw. pitch count numbers wont accurately reflect that

again, ill defer to people with firsthand knowledge of how he looked as the game went on, but i dont think a rookie fresh of tommy john should be left in to chase personal glory if his stuff was fading already. thats when injuries occur most.

funny you criticize dusty for handling young arms poorly but think the dodgers should have pushed this one in the name of personal glory
If it had been Kershaw or Wood or whoever, I wouldn't have. Hell, it's not my team so I shouldn't really care, but this kid might never see the majors again once the rotation is healthy.

Oh, and the team lost the game, so Roberts will be criticized about it regardless

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

so because he doesnt have a high ceiling or cemented place in the rotation the team shouldnt show his health any concern? thats messed up and im glad the dodgers dont agree

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Eh, I'll forget this was even a thing in like 3 days.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:pitches thrown while trying to finish off a no hitter are going to be among the most stressful a pitcher can throw. pitch count numbers wont accurately reflect that

If it had been Kershaw or Wood or whoever, I wouldn't have. Hell, it's not my team so I shouldn't really care, but this kid might never see the majors again once the rotation is healthy.

Oh, and the team lost the game, so Roberts will be criticized about it regardless
Zip, we go back a long way so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is just zip being zip (i.e. stretching a point beyond it's breaking point). I can't believe you actually mean this and hope it's just a casually tossed off line on the theme of pitchers are too coddled these days. Otherwise, as Shakespeare says, this is pretty messed up.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Was watching here and thought WTF? but then found out he was coming back from Tommy John surgery so it makes sense. Loved seeing the game go from Giants down 2-0 and being no-hit to Crawford hitting the walkoff homer