MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: MLB 2016 (Including Hot Stove)

Post by Zip City »

CF - Heyward 26
2B - Zobrist 34
1B - Rizzo 25
3B - Bryant 23
LF - Schwarber 22
RF - Soler 23
C - Montero 31
p - Arrieta 29
SS - Russell 21

Look at that lineup with those ages. Good lord
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cards fans are losing their minds. https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

That's some ugly shit.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Cards fans are losing their minds. https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

That's some ugly shit.
That's horrendous.

Although this is funny.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Erdlivz wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Cards fans are losing their minds. https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

That's some ugly shit.
That's horrendous.

Although this is funny.
Cardinals fans: hating "the right way" :roll:

love how many of the dipshits don't know the difference between traitor and trader
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cueto to the Giants.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Cueto to the Giants.
Nice! However, 6 years? Unless there is something I don't know at play here, big upgrade over Leake. We still need some outfield help but this is good news

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Nice! However, 6 years? Unless there is something I don't know at play here, big upgrade over Leake. We still need some outfield help but this is good news
Y'all now have one of the best staffs in the NL. On top of that it accentuates the fact that the Dodgers are standing in the mud. I have no idea what Andrew Friedman and company are doing out there.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Y'all now have one of the best staffs in the NL. On top of that it accentuates the fact that the Dodgers are standing in the mud. I have no idea what Andrew Friedman and company are doing out there.
Digging themselves out from a 9 figure luxury tax hit

whatwouldcooleydo?

a return to form from Cain is by no means a given, and I am not all that confident that Peavy can give them a full season of above .500 pitching. That said, I feel good about the other 3

unless they plan to run Cueto out in LF we still need help

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:a return to form from Cain is by no means a given, and I am not all that confident that Peavy can give them a full season of above .500 pitching. That said, I feel good about the other 3

unless they plan to run Cueto out in LF we still need help
Gordon and Cespedes are still out there

Or we can trade you Jorge Soler for MadBum :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Or we can trade you Jorge Soler for MadBum :lol:
pass :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Harold Reynolds is out as a Fox MLB broadcaster! :D Now there's a Christmas present!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Harold Reynolds is out as a Fox MLB broadcaster! :D Now there's a Christmas present!
TC, every time I see your current signature I flash on this classic :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Harold Reynolds is out as a Fox MLB broadcaster! :D Now there's a Christmas present!

LOL. The sig line from a Twitter follower thanking Dusty Baker for calling attention to the enormous problem of female on male domestic "violins". Thank god it's not oboes.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

LOL. The sig line from a Twitter follower thanking Dusty Baker for calling attention to the enormous problem of female on male domestic "violins". Thank god it's not oboes.
My favorite Emily Litella rant was about "youth in Asia"!

As Robert Plant chided the audience in Zurich 1980, I'm showin' my age n :lol:

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

im not even a cubs fan but im really enjoying this ongoing cardinal meltdown over heyward leaving

matheny objected to the idea of chicago having a younger core, which is true, now wainwright says heyward "doesnt want to be the man," whatever that means.

the guy played one season in st louis, and not even by his own choice, and hes supposed to be loyal to them for some reason?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Aroldis Chapman to the Yankees

Chapman is headed to the New York Yankees in a trade first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports and Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Jack Curry of YES Network reported the Reds will get four minor leaguers in exchange for Chapman

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

the yankees now have the three most proficient strikeout pitchers in baseball

i think theyll trade andrew miller for a starter but if they dont that is a hell of a bullpen

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:the yankees now have the three most proficient strikeout pitchers in baseball

i think theyll trade andrew miller for a starter but if they dont that is a hell of a bullpen
Some talk of moving Betances to the rotation but the other thing is they might wait to move Miller until the deadline. Chapman could get a very long suspension so they might not have his services until June or so.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

id be very surprised if chapman gets more than 10/20 games, maybe even less cuz he can be considered a near everyday player so its not like punishing a starter with essentially a 2 game suspension.

mlb kinda has to do something (with jsoe reyes as well) because of the piss poor example the nfl set, but at the same time they should be wary of going too far and risking a drawn out legal war. they dropped the hammer on a-rod and ended up making themselves the villain. theres no precedence for this so im glad manfred and co are taking their time.

anyway i dont think chapman will be suspended long enough to justify turning down the right offer for andrew miller if it comes in (though the asking price should be high. the yankees can handle the drama and you can never have too many bullpen arms). id love to have him here but im not sure im comfortable trading the kind of controllable starting pitching the yankees will want.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

No factual basis for it, but my assumption is that the Yankees are going all in on the new "6 inning game" model. W/ that back end they are well positioned for it and all of a sudden a lot of mediocre starters will start looking good if they're only asked to go 5 or 6 innings per start. My guess is that eventually we're going to see 2 three inning pitchers followed by 3 one inning pitchers and then those 3 inning guys can pitch more often. Won't be next week or next year, but it's coming.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:id be very surprised if chapman gets more than 10/20 games, maybe even less cuz he can be considered a near everyday player so its not like punishing a starter with essentially a 2 game suspension.
I was listening to MLB radio this morning and they mentioned the 45 day number as being the threshold where the Yankees would get an extra year of control and they both thought that the suspension would be at least that long and that it probably played a part in the Yankees being willing to acquire him.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Innings = $$$$$, so I can't see pitchers willing to go to a 3 inning model

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:id be very surprised if chapman gets more than 10/20 games, maybe even less cuz he can be considered a near everyday player so its not like punishing a starter with essentially a 2 game suspension.
I was listening to MLB radio this morning and they mentioned the 45 day number as being the threshold where the Yankees would get an extra year of control and they both thought that the suspension would be at least that long and that it probably played a part in the Yankees being willing to acquire him.
hmm

i hadnt thought about it that way. the players association would really fight that. it also puts mlb in the awkward position of having to make it look like service time didnt play any role in their decision, which will be tricky if the suspension is around 45 games

45 games would be shocking though, imo. he should (and will) get something but that reads a bit too close to a deliberate attempt to make an example out of him, and that makes me uncomfortable.
beantownbubba wrote:No factual basis for it, but my assumption is that the Yankees are going all in on the new "6 inning game" model. W/ that back end they are well positioned for it and all of a sudden a lot of mediocre starters will start looking good if they're only asked to go 5 or 6 innings per start. My guess is that eventually we're going to see 2 three inning pitchers followed by 3 one inning pitchers and then those 3 inning guys can pitch more often. Won't be next week or next year, but it's coming.
the problem is the yankees are trying to do this with already established closers. the royals kinda lucked into having three dominant late inning arms that hadnt yet gotten a taste of being "the closer." if everyone involved checks their egos, the yankees bullpen could be absolutely dominant, but i can say from experience thats easier said than done.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:i hadnt thought about it that way. the players association would really fight that. it also puts mlb in the awkward position of having to make it look like service time didnt play any role in their decision, which will be tricky if the suspension is around 45 games

45 games would be shocking though, imo. he should (and will) get something but that reads a bit too close to a deliberate attempt to make an example out of him, and that makes me uncomfortable.
Well I think the highlighted section is the point. Both of these guys felt sure that Chapman would be the poster child for the domestic abuse policy and that he would definitely be made an example of. They also brought up that a 45 day suspension would look bad and that 60 would be more likely. We'll all see I guess.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

anyone else catch dan harens beautiful twitter confessional today? someone get that guy a book deal asap.

the guy was a mediocre nat at best and often much, much worse, but his personality and honesty as a fading superstar made him one of my favorites anyway.

i read an article about various nats players faith and it mentioned how haren studied up on world religions to debate his teammates. he just seemed like a total anti-athlete in so many ways, and it was refreshing.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare wrote:anyone else catch dan harens beautiful twitter confessional today? someone get that guy a book deal asap.

the guy was a mediocre nat at best and often much, much worse, but his personality and honesty as a fading superstar made him one of my favorites anyway.

i read an article about various nats players faith and it mentioned how haren studied up on world religions to debate his teammates. he just seemed like a total anti-athlete in so many ways, and it was refreshing.
I did read about his tweet and it was hilarious

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:anyone else catch dan harens beautiful twitter confessional today? someone get that guy a book deal asap.

Good stuff. I especially liked the BJ/Melvin Upton line. :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Isn't his Twitter handle something like @IThrow88? He's always been aware of his limitations