MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: MLB 2016 (Including Hot Stove)

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:i wonder what nfl players think every time a baseball guy signs a massive (and fully guaranteed) contract like these.
"Wow, our player's union sucks ass"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I'm hearing Shark to SF for 5/$90

Frankly, the huge numbers don't really phase me. It's not my money, and so long as these contracts don't fuck up the rest of the team, I couldn't care less how much they make
I only care about as it pertains to Chicago. Knowing the Cubs budgetary restraints due to the ridiculously bad sale agreement with Sam Zell and the Tribune Company I just didn't want them to hamstring themselves into having to trade off pieces of the core when arbitration costs hit. By signing Lackey for 2 years, along with Arrieta hitting FA after that year, they've clearly marked window #1 as 2016-2017 knowing that they'll have a much better idea of their finances in 1 1/2 years or so. If they really are setting up their own TV network beginning in 2020 all expectations are that the deal needs to be in place by mid 2017. At that point they can certainly be bigger spenders as a) the terms of the sale will be done after 2019 b) The increased revenues will already be in place with some creative financing beginning in 2018.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Once the TV deal is signed, you can just backload contracts to pay more once the TV revenue is there.

I'm not a huge Lackey fan, though ZIPS seems to think he'll be better for Chicago than he was for St. Louis (which wasn't as good as the ERA tells you). I'm fine with him for 2 years, mostly because I hate giving pitchers long contracts, and I wasn't particularly convinced that Shark would suddenly be fixed with a return to the Cubs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote: the power of union leadership i suppose.
Exactly why Marvin Miller belongs in the HOF and why he won't get there anytime soon.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
Shakespeare wrote: the power of union leadership i suppose.
Exactly why Marvin Miller belongs in the HOF and why he won't get there anytime soon.
Always thought Marvin Miller looked like Sidney Freedman from MASH (also he has some James Mason as well)

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

it is being reported that the Reds traded Aroldis Chapman to the Dodgers. Me not happy

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:it is being reported that the Reds traded Aroldis Chapman to the Dodgers. Me not happy
And now they're saying he's not

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:it is being reported that the Reds traded Aroldis Chapman to the Dodgers. Me not happy
And now they're saying he's not
I like your post better than mine, hope that is the case

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is from April but nonetheless funny

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Chapman story is nuts. The Dodgers have now pissed off their closer and are caught with their proverbial dick in their hands. Is it really possible to have a worse offseason than they are so far? Wow.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14317 ... e-incident

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

not to make light of some seriously fucked up reports, but man am i glad mike rizzo couldnt get it done on the chapman front. imagine if step one of his plan to rid the nats of a violent douchebag closer was to trade for...a second violent douchebag closer.

now the dodgers will either have the pr disaster of a domestic abuser closer along with a disgruntled ex-closer, or a still disgruntled closer and a weak bullpen around him.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sounds like Zobrist to Cubs and Leake likely to Arizona

whatwouldcooleydo?

Starlin Castro to Yankees

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

D-Backs just overpaid for Shelby Miller. Like REALLY overpaid. Glad Theo dodged that bullet

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:D-Backs just overpaid for Shelby Miller. Like REALLY overpaid. Glad Theo dodged that bullet
Yeah me too and Adam Warren is a pretty good comp to Miller if he can get his innings up. I know most Cubs fans are pissed about today's moves but I think they're a better team.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:D-Backs just overpaid for Shelby Miller. Like REALLY overpaid. Glad Theo dodged that bullet
Yeah me too and Adam Warren is a pretty good comp to Miller if he can get his innings up. I know most Cubs fans are pissed about today's moves but I think they're a better team.
Again (for the umpteenth time), the "fans" on the sites you frequent are morons. I've read about 80% positive reaction to today's deals on the sites I visit. Not sure how you can read message boards full of meatballs every day

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Again (for the umpteenth time), the "fans" on the sites you frequent are morons. I've read about 80% positive reaction to today's deals on the sites I visit. Not sure how you can read message boards full of meatballs every day
Cubs Den aren't meatballs and the guy that runs the site loves the moves. About 50% of the posters hate it. It doesn't seem like they can afford Heyward but if they somehow can land him this will be the best team in the NL.

edit: except instead of Heyward it's looking like Parra for CF. That I don't love.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Parra feels like a smoke screen (hopefully)

I'm sure that the people who hate the Castro trade couldn't wait to get rid of him in July

The Zobrist move is really solid

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Parra feels like a smoke screen (hopefully)

I'm sure that the people who hate the Castro trade couldn't wait to get rid of him in July

Bottom line is that they've gotten better at the things they said they were going to get better at without moving any of the core (so far). They needed a bat for better contact and they got one in Zobrist and also filled their lead off hole. They have stockpiled pitchers in a way I didn't think was possible. The shit show that was the #5 starter last year is unlikely to repeat itself even the case of injury and some feel Adam Warren has been underutilized and is a solid MOR in waiting, a poor man's Shelby Miller I saw him described in one piece. Considering Miller cost Arizona a kings ransom I'm ok with Warren.

On another note I am shocked that Braves fans are so upset by the trading of Miller. Dansby Swanson looks to be a stud that could be up by August, I don't know I really like what the Braves are building there even though it will take a couple of years. I'd be more pissed if I was a D-Back fan and they're all ecstatic. Go figure.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Parra feels like a smoke screen (hopefully)

Bottom line is that they've gotten better at the things they said they were going to get better at without moving any of the core (so far). They needed a bat for better contact and they got one in Zobrist and also filled their lead off hole. They have stockpiled pitchers in a way I didn't think was possible. The shit show that was the #5 starter last year is unlikely to repeat itself even the case of injury and some feel Adam Warren has been underutilized and is a solid MOR in waiting, a poor man's Shelby Miller I saw him described in one piece. Considering Miller cost Arizona a kings ransom I'm ok with Warren.

On another note I am shocked that Braves fans are so upset by the trading of Miller. Dansby Swanson looks to be a stud that could be up by August, I don't know I really like what the Braves are building there even though it will take a couple of years. I'd be more pissed if I was a D-Back fan and they're all ecstatic. Go figure.

Seems like Cubs are on the way to a real solid off-season. Now let's hope they find somebody who can give them 140 games in CF next year. Agree with TC that they are in much better shape with the pitching moves. Come July, if necessary and assuming they will be where we think they will be, they will have some young talent to trade for a solid starter that some team is dumping at the deadline.

What Arizona gave up for Miller is mind-numbing.

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I'm a Braves fan and I am thrilled with the Miller trade. I haven't really encountered many Braves fans who are upset about it. Anybody who understands the business-side of baseball should like this deal from a Braves perspective. It is probably going to be another ugly year in 2016. I can accept that. But with the young talent they've added, #3 overall pick in the draft in June, and rumors of huge international spending next July, the future looks a hell of a lot better for the Braves than it did 14 months ago. Hang on to Freeman and Teheran. Let the young arms take a few more lumps this year, and start figuring out which ones to flip for bats in July. I'm in.

I would be worried if I were an Arizona fan. Dave Stewart has made a couple of splashes, but man he seems to have a loose grip on those prospects.
The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Can someone tell me why Heyward over Span or Fowler? I hope the Cubs are driving up the price. Fowler or Span seem like a better option and price tag.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Erdlivz wrote:Can someone tell me why Heyward over Span or Fowler? I hope the Cubs are driving up the price. Fowler or Span seem like a better option and price tag.
Firstly, it isn't my money to spend. And the Cubs could likely operate on a bigger payroll. That said, I believe that Heyward from metrics standpoint is a far superior player to Fowler and Span. I have heard that it isn't out of the question that they sign both Heyward and Denard Span. In that scenario that they would trade Soler to the Indians in a significant package deal for either Carrasco or Salazar. Two guys that could shift into their #3 role and bump Lackey back to their #4. In that case you are talking about a lineup of:
Zobrist
Heyward
Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber
Addison Russell
Montero
Starting Pitcher
Denard Span

With a Starting Rotation of:
Jake Arrietta
Jon Lester
Carlos Carrasco (or Salazar)
John Lackey
Kyle Hendricks

That is pretty sick. Denard Span shouldn't cost a ton since he is coming off of an injury plagued season. It isn't my money. I would be cautious with extending out to 9-10 years for Heyward. I would rather pay him at a higher rate than market for a shorter deal. The Cubs already can hit for power throughout their lineup. Adding another solid contact hitter, with Gold Glove fielding, at age 26, with a little pop would seem to be more valuable to the ready-made Cubs lineup. We'll see though. I'd be uncomfortable going too long on him though.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Heyward is a top 3 defender in the game.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:Can someone tell me why Heyward over Span or Fowler? I hope the Cubs are driving up the price. Fowler or Span seem like a better option and price tag.
Heyward checks off more boxes than Span and many more than Fowler. His defense is superb and he hits for contact balancing the K heavy lineup along with Zobrist. He'd be better in RF but starting him in CF is fine for now. There are rumors of a Soler deal to Atlanta for Enciarte and Teheran if Heyward is signed. Pretty good right there. Even with no other deal he makes the Cubs better than either of the guys you mention although bot are fine fallback options.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Heyward checks off more boxes than Span and many more than Fowler. His defense is superb and he hits for contact balancing the K heavy lineup along with Zobrist. He'd be better in RF but starting him in CF is fine for now. There are rumors of a Soler deal to Atlanta for Enciarte and Teheran if Heyward is signed. Pretty good right there. Even with no other deal he makes the Cubs better than either of the guys you mention although bot are fine fallback options.
I'd be great with Enciarte and Teheran. Does Enciarte have the same ceiling as Soler? No. But his floor is a lot higher and if you would sign Heyward, than Enciarte would likely be the perfect piece to add to their lineup.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Heyward baby. Ohhhhhh yeah! :D :D

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This team is going to be ridiculous

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Well hot damn.

Thank you for the insider Cubs wisdom Cubfan, TC AND Zip! Clarifies a lot of things.