MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cubfan06

Re: MLB 2014

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Without dipping into the prospect pool too much Castro and a resurgent Olt are the guys who could bring some top line pitching prospects. I think Castro is and will continue be a good player, I think 2013 was a blip, but with the glut of infield prospects I guarantee you that they're always listening to clubs who bring up his name. It's going to be interesting, I just question putting Baez at AAA at SS unless they are convinced they will trade Castro. I mean who goes to AAA anymore? Most prospects come up directly from AA. Still I do trust the organization so I guess we'll see.

Firstly I agree with you completely. But at lunch I played the scenario out in my head. Right now you have Barney starting with Bonafacio getting some platoon work. Barney could fetch some sort of minimal prospect in the trade. Keeping Baez, projected at SS it could help motivate Starlin and keep him his focused. I also think that Baez is supposed to be a better fielder than Starlin, so it makes more sense to me to shift Starlin to 2B than a swift fielding Baez. That being said the great unknown is the trade market and who the moving piece will be. If you shift Baez there now and you part with Starlin than Baez's development in the minors at 2B was for naught. Both Starlin and Darwin are going to be on the opening day roster. And for control reason's Baez will not. So why disrupt the flow now if Starlin will ultimately be the one shifting over.
It's interesting. Another 4 inches of snow this morning. Talking about this makes me happy. It makes it feel somehow that this cold-hearted bitch of a winter will be gone at some point.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Let's Go Bucs!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

New MLB Cameras Will Expose Ignorant Announcers

Some really interesting stuff here. Are we really ready for

So no more, “He took a really good route to that ball.” That now becomes, “Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency.”

or

No more, “Yu Darvish is really getting great rotation on his curveball.” That’s now, “His curve is averaging 1700 RPM, which is 100 more than it did in his last start and 12 percent above league average.”

Does this really make baseball better as Bernstein suggest here? Either way it's intriguing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

If you prefer the announcer saying, "“Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency” over “He took a really good route to that ball,” then I'm guessing sports did not come very naturally to you and you are a nerd of epic proportions. It's one thing to acknowledge the importance of advanced metrics in baseball (and sports), it's a whole other thing to announce a game like an overly-technical dweeb. I hope the author of that piece was trying to be satirical. Otherwise, he is an out-out-touch clown.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:If you prefer the announcer saying, "“Here you see what would have been a perfect route to that ball, and Mike Trout does a remarkable job of keeping 94 percent route-efficiency” over “He took a really good route to that ball,” then I'm guessing sports did not come very naturally to you and you are a nerd of epic proportions. It's one thing to acknowledge the importance of advanced metrics in baseball (and sports), it's a whole other thing to announce a game like an overly-technical dweeb. I hope the author of that piece was trying to be satirical. Otherwise, he is an out-out-touch clown.

Oh no, he was not being satirical, he's deadly serious. I listen to his show (though not as much as I used to) and If someone calls in and talks about a player he/she might like and say calls them a "good player" he demands the caller back that up in stats. He won't have a baseball discussion if you can't cite advanced metrics and usually yells at them and calls them stupid. A lot of that is just his shtick but he has no use for old school baseball talk. I think both views have a place personally and that yes, Dan Bernstein is an asshole.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Dan Bernstein is an asshole.

Just came to post that, TC beat me to it

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That's a pretty extreme view on how to announce baseball. While I'm all for booting terrible announcers like Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver, you have to make it entertaining AND informative....a tough skill. I don't like overly analytical announcers, and I don't like homer cheerleaders (sorry Santo, RIP).
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

happy birthday!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:That's a pretty extreme view on how to announce baseball. While I'm all for booting terrible announcers like Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver, you have to make it entertaining AND informative....a tough skill. I don't like overly analytical announcers, and I don't like homer cheerleaders (sorry Santo, RIP).

I'm right with you. What a lot of the hardcore stat guys forget, or I guess actually hate, is that the game provides its own drama without the metrics being cited every ten second. Is that interesting when you analyze a pennant race or compare contending teams at other times? Yes, of course it is but the minute you stop having fun with it I'm not sure what the point is. I stopped listening to Boers & Bernstein (the writer's show) on a regular basis about 6 months ago because the more I listened the less fun sports were. I posted the column because I think he might be right in terms of where baseball broadcasting is going and I'm not sure I want to see that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

tinnitus photography wrote:happy birthday!

I have a painting of Dock Ellis done by Will Johnson.

ChrisGravity

Post by ChrisGravity »

Huge Astros fan. I think they can win 70 games this year and surprise a lot of people. I really like Bo Porter and hope he stays in Houston for a long time. I'm from Houston and grew up in SC. I just wish Houston would get a NHL team, but that will most likely not happen. Go Astros and Dynamo!

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Not sure where else to post this, so I thought I'd put it here. I've done fantasy baseball for about 11-12 years and in that time I've mostly used the same team name, but this year I thought I'd switch it up and come up with a DBT related name. A few of my ideas had too many characters (Self Destructive Strike Zones, I'm Sorry Huston Astros) and so far, I think I'm going to go with "Zip City Heathens", thoughts?

Anyone else ever do this? Any other obvious ones I'm not thinking of?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mike127 wrote:Not sure where else to post this, so I thought I'd put it here. I've done fantasy baseball for about 11-12 years and in that time I've mostly used the same team name, but this year I thought I'd switch it up and come up with a DBT related name. A few of my ideas had too many characters (Self Destructive Strike Zones, I'm Sorry Huston Astros) and so far, I think I'm going to go with "Zip City Heathens", thoughts?

Anyone else ever do this? Any other obvious ones I'm not thinking of?

Shut Up and Get on Base
Birmingham Black Barons
Space City Astros or Rockets
Trying to be the Manager
The Tornadoes
Don't Call That Uniform an Outfit
Daddy Needs a Hit
Daddy Learned to Hit
The Deeper Infield (don't know what it means but it sounds good)
Infielders and Dirt
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Shut Up and Get on Base
Birmingham Black Barons
Space City Astros or Rockets
Trying to be the Manager
The Tornadoes
Don't Call That Uniform an Outfit
Daddy Needs a Hit
Daddy Learned to Hit
The Deeper Infield (don't know what it means but it sounds good)
Infielders and Dirt

Some good ones here, I don't know why I just realized this but my decade old team name, Cosmonauts, would fit well with Space City.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Ryne Sandberg v. Jimmy Rollins. Ryne Sanberg platooning Ryan Howard. Gonna be an interesting season for you, Clams. But at least you have a pitching staff. I don't know what the Braves are going to do for starting pitchers.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Markalanbishop wrote:Ryne Sandberg v. Jimmy Rollins. Ryne Sanberg platooning Ryan Howard. Gonna be an interesting season for you, Clams. But at least you have a pitching staff. I don't know what the Braves are going to do for starting pitchers.

Cubs dodged a huge bullet byetting Sandberg walk

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Zip City wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Ryne Sandberg v. Jimmy Rollins. Ryne Sanberg platooning Ryan Howard. Gonna be an interesting season for you, Clams. But at least you have a pitching staff. I don't know what the Braves are going to do for starting pitchers.

Agreed. Hard-ass old school attitude without really knowing why, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to embrace advanced metrics to help his team win. Not that it's the be all and end all of managing, but I foresee a ton of sacrifice bunts for no real reason. And this: BOO!!!!!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Agreed. Hard-ass old school attitude without really knowing why, and doesn't seem like the kind of guy to embrace advanced metrics to help his team win. Not that it's the be all and end all of managing, but I foresee a ton of sacrifice bunts for no real reason. And this: BOO!!!!!

Sac bunts are the worst

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Holy shit, how bad is Aroldis Chapman hurt after that liner to the forehead?
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

that was brutal

hes supposedly alright though, having minor surgery and out of the hospital in a few days, but given how mccarthy was supposedly alright and then almost died after leaving the hospital, who knows. scary stuff.

the really scary thing is he got hit in the face, so none of the proposed pitcher hat liners would have done a thing

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

So, the Australian series is over. 70% of LA metro area fans had no access to watch the games. Not even sports bars carried them. Dodgers created a Time Warner channel, that cost $8 billion dollars.TW wants to charge $4 per house/month for any other cable company to carry it, and will not alacart it. That means they want the 60% of people who NEVER watch the Dodgers, to pay the same as me, who watch them primarily to listen to Vin. What a crock of shit. I see either the whole deal bankrupting TW, or if many are forced to pay for the Dodger channel, people dumping cable altogether. Either way, may be a tipping point in TV greed. That new channel is 100% Dodgers, 24/365. Great way to invest $8 billion, huh?

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Cardinals manager announced Joe Kelly will start and Carlos Martinez will be 8th inning set up. I was rooting for the nasty stuff of Martinez to be in the rotation but looks as if it will have to wait.

Any of you guys who watch more American League baseball than me give your thoughts on Peter Bourjos? I've read he is a fantastic defensive CF and is really fast but what will his numbers look like if he's getting 4-500 abs?

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

dee dee wrote:Cardinals manager announced Joe Kelly will start and Carlos Martinez will be 8th inning set up. I was rooting for the nasty stuff of Martinez to be in the rotation but looks as if it will have to wait.

Any of you guys who watch more American League baseball than me give your thoughts on Peter Bourjos? I've read he is a fantastic defensive CF and is really fast but what will his numbers look like if he's getting 4-500 abs?

He has never had that chance, so it would just be speculation. He was considered the fastest baserunner until Trout came along. He is a good player who could be a very valuable player to a good team, or not play to his potential. Glad he is getting his chance.

On a side note, I would rather the Angels kept Bourjous, Trumbo, and Morales, and did not waste ridiculous amounts of $$$$ on Pujols and Hamilton. The Napoli trade was boneheaded also, but that was a while ago.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mike Olt has made the Cubs and looks like he'll be the opening day third baseman for the Cubs. This along with Starlin Castro saying yesterday that he'd be open to a move to second base is making 2014 look awfully interesting. I don't think anyone expects them to win many ballgames but with Javier Baez expected to be up in June and Kris Bryant at some point if he continues to hit, the Cubs kids are looking to be big leaguers sooner rather than later. In many ways Olt is a key piece to that. If he continues to hit once the season starts and plays a solid third base he's either one hell of a trading piece, presumably for pitching, or the third bagger that turns Bryant into an outfielder. Nice to have something real to pay attention to in Wrigley.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tigers are apparently signing Cabrera to a 10 year deal worth $292 million. Whoa Nellie.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:Tigers are apparently signing Cabrera to a 10 year deal worth $292 million. Whoa Nellie.

How much is that per pound?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:Daddy Needs a Hit

Shall be the title of the first song I ever write.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Daddy Needs a Hit

Shall be the title of the first song I ever write.

:lol: I expect to share in those royalties.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So is everyone ready to make their inevitably wrong baseball predictions? I'm still on the fence with the AL east where the Yankees are the sexy pick, Tampa Bay pitching looks impeccable and the only reason not to pick the reigning champion Red Sox is because they're the reigning champs. Similarly it's difficult not to pick the Cardinals in the NL Central but I still like the Pirates who, while not active in the offseason, have 3 strong prospects very close to helping the big league club and two of them are pitchers. What that really means is that if they're still in the race in July they could be very attractive trade partners. I'm just not sure there. In the AL west everyone seems to be picking the Angels but I can't see it, I'm still weighing the Rangers and A's who should both be playoff teams. I'll post my picks tomorrow.