NHL 2013-2014

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: NHL 2013-2014

Post by cortez the killer »

PonyGirl wrote:Yeah, we're gearing up for the expected cheap, thuggish, dirty bullshit.

And yes, there certainly is a history of contempt.

I just hope The Canadiens don't call the cops each time things get rough. We are talking about a sport where it is legal to body check & fight. ;)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I understand it's a physical game. Truthfully, I expect that you guys may well kick our asses, but please try to avoid spearing out balls while you do it.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

cortez the killer

PonyGirl wrote:I understand it's a physical game. Truthfully, I expect that you guys may well kick our asses, but please try to avoid spearing out balls while you do it.

Truthfully, here are premier teams in the four major North American Sports:
MLB - New York Yankees
NFL - Green Bay Packers (somewhat up for debate)
NBA - Boston Celtics (Lakers nipping on their heels)
NHL - Montreal Canadiens

I think Montreal matches up well with Boston. This series boils down to which team can impose its style of play. It should be interesting.

This video glosses over the pain of my youth.
- DPM

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Bring on Game 7! Go Flyboys! Huge Game 7's tonight. Going to be tough to stay up late tonight for the Kings/ Sharks, but I am psyched!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So for months people were assuming that the Blackhawks would play the Avalanche in round 1 and the people were terrified of this team that seemed to have the beloved Hawks' number. Then...it didn't happen. Instead they faced the Blues who scared absolutely no one until they went up 2-0, but then 4 in a row dispatched them and the Hawks waited for the inevitable showdown with the feared 'Lanche...except the Minnesota Wild had other plans. Ok, bring on the Wild. Go Blackhawks!

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

211poundsofpork

After the Flyers, I am a huge Wild fan. Totally psyched that they outlasted the Av's last night. They have a chance against the 'Hawks, but alas - I say 'Hawks in 5.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

211poundsofpork wrote:After the Flyers, I am a huge Wild fan. Totally psyched that they outlasted the Av's last night. They have a chance against the 'Hawks, but alas - I say 'Hawks in 5.

I'd say 6, but I think the Hawks will take it. I do think that a lot of what the Wild learned against the Av's was good practice for the Hawks. Would not surprise me to see them take game 1. All that being said I think CubFan's prediction of a Hawks-Bruins rematch Lord Stanley's Cup is looking very likely.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

cortez the killer wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:I understand it's a physical game. Truthfully, I expect that you guys may well kick our asses, but please try to avoid spearing out balls while you do it.

Truthfully, here are premier teams in the four major North American Sports:
MLB - New York Yankees
NBA - Boston Celtics (Lakers nipping on their heels)
NHL - Montreal Canadiens

I think Montreal matches up well with Boston. This series boils down to which team can impose its style of play. It should be interesting.

This video glosses over the pain of my youth.

Boston is by far the more imposing team, so I think we all know how that's going to go. Hopefully the Habs can sneak in some speed and precision and fall back on what has won us our most recent cups; formidable goal tending. Hopefully we don't play scared or get too broken.

Thanks for considering us to be the premier team of the NHL. I appreciate that, but our glory days seem to be behind us. I attended a work event on Friday at the Hockey Hall of Fame. They have a replica of the Habs' old dressing room at the Forum, with jerseys of the superstars of old: Geffrion, Richard, Lafleur, Roy etc. Hallowed real estate in my opinion. I paid homage. They used to say that the Forum was haunted and that when a game radically turned around in favour of the Habs, it was because the ghosts got involved. Sadly the ghosts didn't move to the new venue.

For people who aren't from Montreal, it's very hard to understand the dynamic of that place. Historically there has been a lot of division and a lot of hardship and the Canadians were always a uniting and inspiring influence. ...And Boston has always been our fiercest rival, so of course I'm hoping for an upset here.

That video is awesome. I should watch it on my phone for courage and inspiration before I go out and ride every cross country jumping round.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

cortez the killer wrote:Truthfully, here are premier teams in the four major North American Sports:

I agree if the entire history of the NFL is taken into account. If it's just the Super Bowl era, I'd put the Pittsburgh Steelers in the top spot.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

cortez the killer

Bill in CT wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Truthfully, here are premier teams in the four major North American Sports:

I agree if the entire history of the NFL is taken into account. If it's just the Super Bowl era, I'd put the Pittsburgh Steelers in the top spot.

This guy supports your claim, WWB.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Wow!
- DPM

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I went to my first NHL game last night. I got invited to a corporate suite to watch the Wild beat the piss out of the Blackhawks. I drank scotch and talked with people in suits. It was completely unlike any other hockey experience I've ever had. (usually light beer and cheap seats at college games) I've got to say, it was awesome. The Excell was packed to capacity and all of St. Paul went nuts. This could turn into an expensive habit for me...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I went to my first NHL game last night. I got invited to a corporate suite to watch the Wild beat the piss out of the Blackhawks. I drank scotch and talked with people in suits. It was completely unlike any other hockey experience I've ever had. (usually light beer and cheap seats at college games) I've got to say, it was awesome. The Excell was packed to capacity and all of St. Paul went nuts. This could turn into an expensive habit for me...

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll learn that unless you control the guest list, corporate boxes quickly lose their appeal. Unless you win the lottery like when I went to see the Stones and the only 2 people in the box were me and my friend. :shock: Yeah, that was a good night. (BTW, i was told numerous times both before and after that all the tix were accounted for; to this day i have no idea what happened to those folks).
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

ouch!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can the GM be the most valuable player? Bringing up a guy w/ "experience" consisting of 14 big league games and no playoff games? Of course he's gonna score the game winner. In overtime. Just like they drew it up :D Allons aux Etats-Unis!
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

cortez the killer

Let's fuckin' go!
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So the Bruins actually do have a power play!

For those who know more about the sport than I:

Is the Soderberg line this good or are their Montreal opposite numbers totally overmatched? Whether they're scoring or not, that line has just dominated.
What's up w/ Krejci?

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

well the Pens just about pissed this series away... game 7 tuesday....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well that was... something. A train wreck maybe? Luckily the B's get another chance.

Not that it would have made a difference last night, but geez, how many pipes can a team hit in one series?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:how many pipes can a team hit in one series?

I don't know but I bet Lamar Odom can help you out.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

"Let's Go Rangers' !!!

Habs or B's - bring it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The first 4 minutes of OT have felt like a Wild power play. Absolutely no offense by Chicago right now.

Crawford has been standing on his head though.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Patrick Kane does it in OT yet again!

Here's to hoping LA wins tomorrow night, and I guess hopefully Anaheim in a very physical game 7. But I guess if the Hawks are going to keep the 2013 rematch thing going, so be it.

Also, hot as he is, I'd rather be going up against a newb goalie in the conference finals than a guy who has won a Cup and is one of the best in the game.
Last edited by Iowan on Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

211poundsofpork

Sheesh! Now that the Wild are gone, the six or so teams that I was cheering on at the beginning of the playoffs are all eliminated. Very tough to cheer on anyone else, seeing as how I don't like anyone else that is left. Guess I'll go with Montreal and L.A.? WHy not. I'd love to see a '93 rematch.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If the Blackhawks win Lord Stanley's Cup this year they will have earned it. Damn. Who expected that out of the Wild?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:If the Blackhawks win Lord Stanley's Cup this year they will have earned it. Damn. Who expected that out of the Wild?

The Wild had an amazing home record this season, so that wasn't surprising. I think Chicago could have won in 5 if they'd played to their abilities, but they just fall asleep for portions of games
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:If the Blackhawks win Lord Stanley's Cup this year they will have earned it. Damn. Who expected that out of the Wild?

The Wild had an amazing home record this season, so that wasn't surprising. I think Chicago could have won in 5 if they'd played to their abilities, but they just fall asleep for portions of games

I agree with that, but talent wise the match up wasn't close. Of course I don't think The Hawks never expected to be facing the Wild and Quenneville's ever shifting lines were maddening. Of course it's hard to question a guy with that many wins I suppose. That performance by Crawford last night was superhuman or in hockey parlance he stood on head. It seemed the entire second period was played in the Hawks' end. Most teams don't win games like that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

as a poster on another message board so poetically put it:

with grit, determination, sticktoitiveness, and a relentless forecheck, the Wild were able to compete with a lackadaisical and disinterested Blackhawk team that essentially woke Achilles on the morning of battle and sent him to murder their greatest heroes.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I agree with that, but talent wise the match up wasn't close. Of course I don't think The Hawks never expected to be facing the Wild and Quenneville's ever shifting lines were maddening. Of course it's hard to question a guy with that many wins I suppose. That performance by Crawford last night was superhuman or in hockey parlance he stood on head. It seemed the entire second period was played in the Hawks' end. Most teams don't win games like that.

The Wild's style of play (clog the neutral zone and forecheck like crazy with your best player) presented a serious match up problem for Chicago, I thought.

Honestly, if Darcy Kuemper had been healthy, I think we'd be looking at a 7 game series, and I think Minnesota would have been capable of winning it. Bryzgalov let in some pretty soft goals throughout the series, especially in Games 1-2.