NHL 2013-2014

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NHL 2013-2014

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonathan Toews is the best player in hockey. Patrick Kane is top 5. Crawford is a top ten goaltender. There aren't a whole lot of teams that come close in talent. Colorado is one but the Wild dispatched them and Boston is one. I'm not saying lesser talented teams can't win, they do often in the NHL which makes the playoffs either the most maddening in sports or the most interesting depending on your point of view, but it's not often that the Blackhawks are at a talent disadvantage.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Pens are loaded, but seem to choke year after year
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:The Pens are loaded, but seem to choke year after year

After last night I just couldn't list them, but yeah there's talent. Curious if they're really interested in re-hiring Eddie Olczyk. Dude wants to coach again badly and that's been a rumor if Pittsburgh didn't make it to the Finals.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Great series. Kane and Toews. WHat else can I say. Just when you think there are no more magic tricks left, Kane makes that sick move in OT! I thought Crawford and Bryz were great too. Crawford really turned it on closer to the end of the game.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:If the Blackhawks win Lord Stanley's Cup this year they will have earned it. Damn. Who expected that out of the Wild?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jonathan Toews is the best player in hockey.

True opinion?

Loaded? I'd argue they don't have enough talent spread across their roster. I think their talent is too top-heavy and they do not have the organizational depth to win consistently in the playoffs. They are not strong at the point and their goaltender is a mess.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:

True opinion?

At least a well considered one.

NHL playoffs: Who’s better? Sidney Crosby or Jonathan Toews?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:

Loaded? I'd argue they don't have enough talent spread across their roster. I think their talent is too top-heavy and they do not have the organizational depth to win consistently in the playoffs. They are not strong at the point and their goaltender is a mess.

I agree, though one could argue that if Crosby had showed up at all this post-season, the Pens would be in the ECF. Few teams have as potent a 1-2 punch as Crosby and Malkin, and often that kind of talent is enough.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

maybe for basketball, but not for hockey.

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

True opinion?

At least a well considered one.

NHL playoffs: Who’s better? Sidney Crosby or Jonathan Toews?

Well, if thestar.com says so, I guess you have a point.
- DPM

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:maybe for basketball, but not for hockey.

Yup.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I pretty much agree with you. Odd things happen in hockey like riding a hot goalie or just making a more talented team play the game you want them to. In basketball it's almost almost all talent. Most people penciled in Miami-Indy and OKC-SA from day one of the season and it's looking like that's what it's going to be despite not looking like that not so long ago but talent wills out. However even in hockey talent gives you the edge and it's up to a team and coaching to live up to it. Corey Crawford is not much liked in Chicago but he gets the job done and does get hot, that allows the talent to slump occasionally. That same talent also allows him to have a bad game, even in the playoffs. His record in bad games over the last two years is remarkable because of his teammates. I like predictability in sports so the Stanley Cup Playoffs madden me, but the game is great and if I can temper my nerves I enjoy.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I pretty much agree with you. Odd things happen in hockey like riding a hot goalie or just making a more talented team play the game you want them to. In basketball it's almost almost all talent. Most people penciled in Miami-Indy and OKC-SA from day one of the season and it's looking like that's what it's going to be despite not looking like that not so long ago but talent wills out. However even in hockey talent gives you the edge and it's up to a team and coaching to live up to it. Corey Crawford is not much liked in Chicago but he gets the job done and does get hot, that allows the talent to slump occasionally. That same talent also allows him to have a bad game, even in the playoffs. His record in bad games over the last two years is remarkable because of his teammates. I like predictability in sports so the Stanley Cup Playoffs madden me, but the game is great and if I can temper my nerves I enjoy.

You're just talking about professional basketball, I assume.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yes, the NBA.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Who were those guys in the Bruins sweaters the 1st 20 minutes? Bad, bad time to come out flat.

I am really not ready for the season to be over. The silence is deafening.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Who were those guys in the Bruins sweaters the 1st 20 minutes? Bad, bad time to come out flat.

Shocking outcome.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

In the old seeding system, the ECF is #4 vs. #5

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Who were those guys in the Bruins sweaters the 1st 20 minutes? Bad, bad time to come out flat.

Shocking outcome.

Oh really? Why so shocking?

If you had maybe expressed a similar sentiment following game 2, I would understand. At that point my friends and I were like, "Holy fuck. We have a chance!"

But I think for several days now, we've all known that this was anybody's series. Especially following last game where we scored 4 times and achieved a shutout.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PonyGirl wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Shocking outcome.

Oh really? Why so shocking?

If you had maybe expressed a similar sentiment following game 2, I would understand. At that point my friends and I were like, "Holy fuck. We have a chance!"

But I think for several days now, we've all known that this was anybody's series. Especially following last game where we scored 4 times and achieved a shutout.

I shouldn't be shocked at anything in th NHL playoffs but I just assumed Boston would win in the end. Takeaway; never assume.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And Lucic threatens players during the handshake line. Stay classy, Bruins

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Oh fuckety... :cry:

Well hopefully that was Price's "Latvia Moment..."

Geez...
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:Oh fuckety... :cry:

Well hopefully that was Price's "Latvia Moment..."

Geez...

Embarrassing. Where was that team when the Bruins needed it?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

On Thursday I felt another Cup was all but a formality for the Hawks.

Right now I feel this series is all but a formality for the Kings. I haven't seen such an instantaneous and complete collapse in some time.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:On Thursday I felt another Cup was all but a formality for the Hawks.

Right now I feel this series is all but a formality for the Kings. I haven't seen such an instantaneous and complete collapse in some time.

Agreed. I don't think you win 3 in a row against the Kings. The Hawks just plain quit. Embarrassing.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I just couldn't make it through last night's game so I pleasantly surprised that my Blackhawks actually pulled off a double overtime win. After giving up two 2 goal leads I thought it was done. I can't wrap my head around this year's playoff Hawks. Are they just not hungry enough until they're pushed to care? Of course when you look at the Kings you also have to consider that they're simply a better club than Chicago. I have no idea what's going to happen Friday night in LA. None. Despite all that GO HAWKS!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I just couldn't make it through last night's game so I pleasantly surprised that my Blackhawks actually pulled off a double overtime win. After giving up two 2 goal leads I thought it was done. I can't wrap my head around this year's playoff Hawks. Are they just not hungry enough until they're pushed to care? Of course when you look at the Kings you also have to consider that they're simply a better club than Chicago. I have no idea what's going to happen Friday night in LA. None. Despite all that GO HAWKS!

It's pretty hard to tell what it is with these guys. The conundrum of Corey Crawford certainly plays into it. He can be brilliant for stretches and carry the team, or he can be abysmal. The amount of goals allowed in the past 4 games is just staggering. But then again, this is the guy who almost singlehandedly at times delivered the previous series.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I just couldn't make it through last night's game so I pleasantly surprised that my Blackhawks actually pulled off a double overtime win. After giving up two 2 goal leads I thought it was done. I can't wrap my head around this year's playoff Hawks. Are they just not hungry enough until they're pushed to care? Of course when you look at the Kings you also have to consider that they're simply a better club than Chicago. I have no idea what's going to happen Friday night in LA. None. Despite all that GO HAWKS!

It's pretty hard to tell what it is with these guys. The conundrum of Corey Crawford certainly plays into it. He can be brilliant for stretches and carry the team, or he can be abysmal. The amount of goals allowed in the past 4 games is just staggering. But then again, this is the guy who almost singlehandedly at times delivered the previous series.

Crawford is part of it, so is Patrick Kane who finally discovered that he can be valuable even when the Kings are playing him tight. I'll take 4 assists over nothing every damned time. Oh, and enough of Kris Versteeg. Enough. There's usually a "team of destiny" by the time you get to the Conference Finals and there isn't one, in either conference. It makes for a lot of excitement but if I watched every minute of these games I'd almost certainly be hospitalized.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

That was some battle last night in Chicago - wow...looking forward to Friday's game...Hockey is best when teams are against the wall...

Hopefully the Blueshirts will finish off the Hablonians tonite so we can get a few days rest....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Crawford has been spotty, but he hasn't been helped by the defense at all. Some terrible blue line play

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

"LET'S GO RANGERS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats boys! - Bring on the Hawks or Kings....