NHL 2013-2014

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: NHL 2013-2014

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:Not like I have a ton of room to talk, but someone needs to give Zips boys the Ol' Heimlich....

Three games, three 3-1 leads blown, three 4-3 final scores. Unreal
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Crawford upped his game tonight. Now it's time for the Blackhakws offense to do the same.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So I'm glad the Hawks pulled one off last night. Toews played well and Crawford got it done. That being said the shadow of Saturday's game still lingers. Whichever Hawk made the "wakey wakey Backes" comment, presumeably Duncan Keith, should be ashamed of themselves and whoever made the Tee Shirt should probably be shot.

http://deadspin.com/ugly-blues-blackhaw ... 1565607682

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So I'm glad the Hawks pulled one off last night. Toews played well and Crawford got it done. That being said the shadow of Saturday's game still lingers. Whichever Hawk made the "wakey wakey Backes" comment, presumeably Duncan Keith, should be ashamed of themselves and whoever made the Tee Shirt should probably be shot.

Firstly, that Seabrook play was a terribly stupid hockey play which cost us a game. Inexcusably stupid. Fortunately Brookbank played a pretty clean game last night in his absence. I was actually encouraged by the way Brookbank played and negative attention paid to a fill-in defensive player is a huge win in my book.

That being said Backes is dirty-playing asshole. I don't wish anybody to see cobwebs, however there is anyone other than Raffi Torres, it would be Backes. But again a stupid hockey play, which lost you a game and made the offensive aspect of your defensive line much worse for three games.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yes, the more important part of the story is that it cost them a game. The thing is, and I didn't realize this until yesterday, the Hawks have a reputation of taunting injured players. It's not ok. Bottom line though last night was a good start to turning the series around. They need to skate not get caught up in needless rough play which isn't there game, but is the trademark of St. Louis. If they play their game from here on out they win this series.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:So I'm glad the Hawks pulled one off last night. Toews played well and Crawford got it done. That being said the shadow of Saturday's game still lingers. Whichever Hawk made the "wakey wakey Backes" comment, presumeably Duncan Keith, should be ashamed of themselves and whoever made the Tee Shirt should probably be shot.

Firstly, that Seabrook play was a terribly stupid hockey play which cost us a game. Inexcusably stupid. Fortunately Brookbank played a pretty clean game last night in his absence. I was actually encouraged by the way Brookbank played and negative attention paid to a fill-in defensive player is a huge win in my book.

That being said Backes is dirty-playing asshole. I don't wish anybody to see cobwebs, however there is anyone other than Raffi Torres, it would be Backes. But again a stupid hockey play, which lost you a game and made the offensive aspect of your defensive line much worse for three games.

FWIW, I think the Seabrook hit might cost more than that game.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

It absolutely could cost them more than a game. It could cost them multiple games. Last night was officiated a little bit tight and I believe the players from both sides were put on notice that any after the whistle hoopla would not be tolerated. Now that last night's game has past, do you think a guy like Reaves or Pollock aren't going to be gunning for Toews or Kane?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:FWIW, I think the Seabrook hit might cost more than that game.

Sure is possible but the Hawks can absolutely still win this series. Player to player they are still more talented than St. Louis but they have to play like it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:It absolutely could cost them more than a game. It could cost them multiple games. Last night was officiated a little bit tight and I believe the players from both sides were put on notice that any after the whistle hoopla would not be tolerated. Now that last night's game has past, do you think a guy like Reaves or Pollock aren't going to be gunning for Toews or Kane?

Of course they will. Star players always have a target on their back especially when playing physical teams but they can't succumb to it. They have to play heads up hockey, react as little as possible to the rough play and skate. If they do that they win.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:FWIW, I think the Seabrook hit might cost more than that game.

Sure is possible but the Hawks can absolutely still win this series. Player to player they are still more talented than St. Louis but they have to play like it.

I agree, and I'm not counting the Hawks out by any stretch. I'm just saying that it singlehandedly flipped Game 2, which Chicago really should have won, and removed one of the Hawks top defensemen for potentially 45% of the series, and given how Crawford's played on the road - in a series when you don't have home ice - team defense needs to be at the top of it's game. His absence over the course of 3 games has the potential to be the kind of thing that flips the series.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:[

It absolutely could cost them more than a game. It could cost them multiple games. Last night was officiated a little bit tight and I believe the players from both sides were put on notice that any after the whistle hoopla would not be tolerated. Now that last night's game has past, do you think a guy like Reaves or Pollock aren't going to be gunning for Toews or Kane?

I think we're definitely going to be seeing some shots at those two, especially with Kane being clearly less than 100%.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This series is going to come down to the leadership of Toews. Yes he had the first goal, and only non empty net goal, but it was his play throughout the game consistently keeping the puck moving, that kept them in it. He is their most valuable player on the ice and it isn't even close. If he plays like that and the rest of the team follows his lead the scoring chances will come. The thing is last night was the first game where the style of play favored Chicago. Now they have to keep it that way.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

what a series between Columbus and Pittsburgh. seems like CBJ are playing with more heart... Pens fuckin up in playoffs just like every year :evil: . sit Fleury and play Zatkoff

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tomorrow night is going to tell the tale for the Blackhawks/Blues series I think. Whoever wins it wins the series. I think if the Hawks win they'll wrap it up at home on Sunday.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

The Columbus game AND the Dallas game were both awesome last night. Both arenas were LOUD!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Luckiest man in the NHL: Brad Marchand who is breathing a huge sigh of relief that his teammates bailed him out last nite.

Number of empty nets faced: 2
Number of goals scored: 0
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I am a self-admitted douche bag.

It just occurred to me that I'll be in St Louis playing in a golf tournament in 3 weeks. I just purchased one those Wakey-Wakey Backes t-shirts for the chance that I could wear it into a St Louis gin mill than. I'd like research which bar is one of the strongest Blues bars in town as well.

Fuck the Cardinals. Fuck the Blues.

I hope that the Blues continue to stay as the Chicago Cubs of the NHL, struggling mightily to get their title. I respect the Red Wings and their fans. Every time that I've stepped foot in the United Center when the Blues are in town, their fans fucking smell as bad as the cow manure that traveled North on I-55.
Fuck 'em. Let's Go Hawks!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Les Habs. Da B's.

Allons!

I don't watch that much hockey, but the Bruins' performance in the first period of Saturday's series clincher was among the most dominant 20 minutes I can remember seeing. They only came out of it 1 - 0 but there was no comparison between the teams. Kudos for Detroit for coming back to make a game of it, but they were clearly overmatched, especially w/ Rask playing so well.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Sorry to break up all of this playoff talk, but the Caps have fired Adam Oates as coach & not resigned George McPhee (longtime GM). Ovechkin is getting the rap as being a coach-killer & many are clamoring for him to be traded. I do think he was instrumental in running B. Boudreau out of town, but I am not of the opinion that Ovie is hard to coach. He is a goal scorer pure & simple. Surround him with enough talent & he will produce. McPhee did not place enough emphasis on building up the defense. He acquired too many wingers & not enough blue-line help. He let Varlomov get away & Oates tried to get Holtby to play goal in a manner he did not wish to. Goaltending, which 2 years ago appeared to be a strength, has become a liability.

Ovechkin can never be traded for equal value so any new regime better figure a way to complement him with more productive players & better defense or it will be more lean times for the Capitals.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Another Original Six series. This one has a bit more history & bile to it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Slipkid42 wrote:Ovechkin can never be traded for equal value so any new regime better figure a way to complement him with more productive players & better defense or it will be more lean times for the Capitals.

Actually, in a salary cap league, he can be traded for plenty of value.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Ovechkin can never be traded for equal value so any new regime better figure a way to complement him with more productive players & better defense or it will be more lean times for the Capitals.

Actually, in a salary cap league, he can be traded for plenty of value.

Any takers?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Slipkid42 wrote:Sorry to break up all of this playoff talk, but the Caps have fired Adam Oates as coach & not resigned George McPhee (longtime GM). Ovechkin is getting the rap as being a coach-killer & many are clamoring for him to be traded. I do think he was instrumental in running B. Boudreau out of town, but I am not of the opinion that Ovie is hard to coach. He is a goal scorer pure & simple. Surround him with enough talent & he will produce. McPhee did not place enough emphasis on building up the defense. He acquired too many wingers & not enough blue-line help. He let Varlomov get away & Oates tried to get Holtby to play goal in a manner he did not wish to. Goaltending, which 2 years ago appeared to be a strength, has become a liability.

Ovechkin can never be traded for equal value so any new regime better figure a way to complement him with more productive players & better defense or it will be more lean times for the Capitals.

Ovechkin scored 51 goals and finished the year as a -35. That's remarkable
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Zip City wrote:Ovechkin scored 51 goals and finished the year as a -35. That's remarkable

It is a statistical oddity more than it means that Ovie is a terrible defensive liability. It's only the 2nd time he's been negative points & the first one this pathetic. I think it means he happened to be on the ice a lot for an awful defensive squad. Caps were -26 as a team. That would still mean he's -9 on his own shitty squad. He does need to step up his game.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

cortez the killer wrote:Image

So clever. Bruins fans wield single syllable words the way their players wield their sticks on opposing players' balls.

Yeah, we're gearing up for the expected cheap, thuggish, dirty bullshit.

And yes, there certainly is a history of contempt.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

PonyGirl wrote:

So clever. Bruins fans wield single syllable words the way their players wield their sticks on opposing players' balls.

grabs popcorn
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

From Bernie Parent's twitter acct:
Now this is how you start your day during the NHL Playoffs

Didn't work out so well. Back to the kitchen...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gotta love those Blackhawks!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Gotta love those Blackhawks!

They have gotten better each of the last 4 games. These guys are in form for back to back Cups.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

PonyGirl wrote: