NHL 2013-2014

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: NHL 2013-2014

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Big late-season addition for St. Louis.

They paid a steep price for a rental. They better hope they can extend him.

Still, he's a difference maker in a tight Western Conference race. Do the Blackhawks and/or Ducks throw a counterpunch?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

He's absolutely a difference maker. They did mortgage the future, to an extent. However, this is a franchise that has never won a Stanley Cup. They are close this year & I'm guessing their management strongly believes Miller is the missing piece to a Stanley Cup run. If I'm a Blues fan, I applaud this bold move.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

njMark

Post by njMark »

So Luongo goes back to FLA, I wonder if he's glad to be rid of Tortorella? Now to the important trade deadline question, how can Marty Brodeur be on the block/asking for a trade? I know he isn't playing as much as he would like in favor of , imho, DeBoer trying to convince us that Schneider is a better option in goal. I've watched the majority of the games this season and Marty has been the better goalie this season, old or not. Now if this is Marty pushing for a trade, where will he go to play more except to a team that isn't in contention? Minnesota signed Bryzgalov? so that's out, does he really want to go to the Sabres? I can't see him wearing a different sweater, Niedermayer was bad enough.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Good for Luongo. His family is in Florida where it all started out for him in the NHL and he WANTED to go there. Class act all the way around - the way he has handled the circus surrounding GM Mike Gillis and the rest of the circus in Vancouver. Don't know who Brodeur would go to, but he did say he would be willing to go to a contender that needed help. It would be strange, but we shall see...

njMark wrote:So Luongo goes back to FLA, I wonder if he's glad to be rid of Tortorella? Now to the important trade deadline question, how can Marty Brodeur be on the block/asking for a trade? I know he isn't playing as much as he would like in favor of , imho, DeBoer trying to convince us that Schneider is a better option in goal. I've watched the majority of the games this season and Marty has been the better goalie this season, old or not. Now if this is Marty pushing for a trade, where will he go to play more except to a team that isn't in contention? Minnesota signed Bryzgalov? so that's out, does he really want to go to the Sabres? I can't see him wearing a different sweater, Niedermayer was bad enough.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

cortez the killer wrote:He's absolutely a difference maker. They did mortgage the future, to an extent. However, this is a franchise that has never won a Stanley Cup. They are close this year & I'm guessing their management strongly believes Miller is the missing piece to a Stanley Cup run. If I'm a Blues fan, I applaud this bold move.

Definitely mortgaged the future. Miller is an even better goaltender than his current numbers indicate. He had some shitty lines playing in front of him in Buffalo. I'm obviously not a fan of anything St Louis, however to step outside and view the move objectively...I feel like Miller can certainly help you win those tight 2-1 games in the playoffs. And I feel as thoughthey will need to hope for that unless they have a surprising resurgence on the offensive end. To be honest, I felt like they could have benefited more from an acquisition of Martin St Louis :D or Callahan. But still they gave up a lot for Miller and I believe that they're a bit better for it. Gonna be a tough out for whoever comes out of the West this year.

And how about that Martin St Louis for Callahan and prime picks swap today. Kind of a blockbuster!!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

How bout David Legwand to Detroit and Martin Erat to Phoenix.. those were big surprises

211poundsofpork

...and how 'bout those Flyers for standing pat yesterday and not making a move for the sake of making a move. They did get rid of Andrej Meszaros (who the B's got) and got Andrew Mcdonald from the Isles a couple of days ago. Really liking their defense right now and also really liking how Giroux has been on fire lately - especially taking it to the Caps last night!

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

still not sure why the Bolts traded Marty... i mean objectively it was a decent deal hopefully, but Marty was my favorite.
Segalegend.tumblr.com

njMark

Post by njMark »

Shocker, Schneider plays last night, gives up 7 goals. Does Deboer even hockey?

njMark

Post by njMark »

To prove my point, Marty plays tonight and we get the W. He needs to be resigned this off season I believe. 40 whatever, he still is the best goalie we have.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Scary situation at the Stars game last night. The tweet at the bottom of the link cracks me up though.
Hockey players, gotta love 'em.

http://deadspin.com/rich-peverley-wante ... 1541021375

211poundsofpork

The Flyboys with a weekend sweep of the Pens! How sweet it is! Those games were awesome! They are going to need all of that energy and swagger they brought for the Week of Death they've got coming up. Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, L.A. Going to be tough, but that's ok because we've got Wayne Simmonds.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Not sure why I feel the need to post this, but I do.

Infrared camera used at Caps/Ducks game last night
http://o.canada.com/sports/getty-photog ... tals-game/

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So the Blackhawks finally beat the Blues and lose Patrick Kane indefinitely. Considering their the only team in Chicago worth a damn this really blows.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

211poundsofpork

I hear ya, but c'mon! They have been avoiding the injury bug all year- other than the obligatory Marian Hossa upper/lower body injuries. Something had to happen sooner or later. Look at the Red Wings, Isles, and Canucks - they've all got hit hard. Knowing the 'Hawks, this should be no problem for them.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So the Blackhawks finally beat the Blues and lose Patrick Kane indefinitely. Considering their the only team in Chicago worth a damn this really blows.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ryan Johansen is the best player in the NHL that no one has heard of. 21 years old, 27 goals so far this season, and wicked good on face offs. If the CBJ can hold onto him, he's going to anchor the team for the next decade.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

211poundsofpork wrote:I hear ya, but c'mon! They have been avoiding the injury bug all year- other than the obligatory Marian Hossa upper/lower body injuries. Something had to happen sooner or later. Look at the Red Wings, Isles, and Canucks - they've all got hit hard. Knowing the 'Hawks, this should be no problem for them.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So the Blackhawks finally beat the Blues and lose Patrick Kane indefinitely. Considering their the only team in Chicago worth a damn this really blows.

Still, without a healthy Kane they probably don't get by Colorado in the first round. It's big deal.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Losing Kane is tough, but the Hawks have plenty of other weapons. If you can't advance beyond the 1st round without him @ 100%, I would guess it's because of the D & Crawford.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

I forgot to add that Zip is right, Johansen is the goods.

211poundsofpork

They just have to band together. Look what Detroit has been doing lately without practically their normal squad. They took the Pens last night in OT! As for this Johanson guy. I've been watching him from afar the entire year and have been noticing how talented he is. He definitely IS somebody to watch. That goal last night was retardedly sick.

As for my Flyers - so far so good in the 'Week of Death'. Took the Hawks, took down the Stars last night. Now, take down the Blues and Kings over the weekend. With Giroux and SImmonds as great as they both are right now, they can do it. Giroux has been the best player in the NHL the past few months. He needs some love!

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:I hear ya, but c'mon! They have been avoiding the injury bug all year- other than the obligatory Marian Hossa upper/lower body injuries. Something had to happen sooner or later. Look at the Red Wings, Isles, and Canucks - they've all got hit hard. Knowing the 'Hawks, this should be no problem for them.

Still, without a healthy Kane they probably don't get by Colorado in the first round. It's big deal.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

This reminds me so much of the time my Dad took me to see the Habs vs. the Rangers at the old Forum, many years ago. Somehow he managed to get us seats in the corner, right behind the glass. My Dad, who's kind of a cross between William Shatner and Alec Baldwin, lives to make fun of me and he has always found my left-leaning, bunny/tree-hugging, politically correct ways, extremely irritating, so he was all, "You're gonna see some action, close up, tonight, girl. I'm really worried that that you aren't going to be able to handle it because of your pansy-ass, pinko, commie mindset, but we'll give it a try..."

Anyway, there was a lot of action in our corner and Messier kept getting smooshed up against the glass right in front of me and, sorry to objectify, but Messier is smoking hot, like just sizzling, so the whole time I was like, "This is THE BEST!!!"

My poor father was so dejected. Afterwards, he just said, "You enjoyed that too much. See you soon," and walked away...

I know we don't have a chance in hell of advancing very far in the play-offs, but Go Habs go!!
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Not looking good for Chicago's hometown heroes. They've looked awful in their last several games and are playing the remainder of the season without their two best players in Toews and Kane. Also there doesn't seem to be a single Chicago media person that thinks the Hawks are being the slightest bit truthful about the injuries and most do not expect them back for the playoffs. You would think that 2 Stanley Cup wins in 4 years would buy them some good will but people are already whispering that if they lose in the first round that Joel Quenneville should be fired. Y'all from other places don't believe me but Chicago fans are some of the absolute worst. As for me I'm nervous but this is a hell of an organization so I got their back win or lose. Would be nice to have Kane and Toews back though...

cortez the killer

A hockey "selfie."
- DPM

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Oh I've had that injury... Ouch!! Though he probably won't be subjected to six weeks of answering virtual strangers as well as abject strangers asking, "So.... How are things at home?"

Stupid horses...
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

cortez the killer

Never been kicked in the mouth by a horse, but, keeping with the hockey theme, I have had one of my front teeth reduced to powder due to a bullshit cheap shot from behind into the glass, and, let me tell you, it sucks.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

211poundsofpork

Zip City wrote:Image

As a Flyer fan, I shouldn't be happy about this (heck, give it a few more years and these two teams may kick up a rivalry) but as an avid NHL fan, this is awesome to see. Good players and good fan base. Hope they don't get Pittsburgh in the first round (now THIS could be a good rivalry if the BJ's rise to the occasion) because they could not buy a win against them this season.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The playoffs should be fun. I know there's not a reporter in Chicago that thinks the Blackhawks will get out of the first round but I think underestimating the Hawks is folly.