Turntable/Record Player advice

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Turntable/Record Player advice

Post by tinnitus photography »

roland wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
scotto wrote:I never use a cue. Unless you've had way too much to drink, they're never as precise as just easing the tonearm up and over with your own digits.
I'm the exception. I don't trust myself to lower or lift off the tonearm with my own digits. The cue works so much better for me.
Me too.
https://youtu.be/xLmpkPjkozs?t=20s

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

tinnitus photography wrote:i have manual return but have left an LP spinning overnight on more than one occasion. :oops:

mounted my new blue point II yesterday... sounding good!

The best $50 you'll ever spend

Always go to the show

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:So far so good on my U Turn Orbit turntable. But here's a confession: A while back I bought Bonnie Raitt's new record. I put it on and it's playing really slowly--not dog ear slow but really slow. I fuck with it for a while but can't solve the problem. I contact U Turn Audio and their outstanding customer service department immediately sends me a new motor. I install it and it's still doing the same thing. So I'm looking at the album and I finally notice that it's recorded at 45 rpm! Apparently I bought the audiophile version (there's also 33 1/3 version). It was two records instead of one. I didn't know there even was such a thing, and I never thought to try a different album. Sounds fucking great though and now I have two motors!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: Yes, I'm a dumbass.
Back in the 80's when the 12" dance remix was all the rage, one of my older brothers played Rita Marley's "One Draw" on the wrong speed for months before anyone figured it out. I also remember a friend picking up a copy of "Free Bird" on an import 12" single. I remember him putting it on and everyone noticing how slow it sounded. At that moment, another friend, that had been stationed overseas when he was in the Navy piped up, "that's how they played it in Scotland!!" Then, there was the time in the mid-80's when I was working at a country station where we were playing "I'm On Fire" by Springsteen. Playing it off the album, rather than a single, someone forgot to change the speed to 33⅓ and it came out sounding like Dolly Parton rather than the Boss.

Did it come out like this. I like this version better than the Boss'. (Ducking and running)
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

PeterJ wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:So far so good on my U Turn Orbit turntable. But here's a confession: A while back I bought Bonnie Raitt's new record. I put it on and it's playing really slowly--not dog ear slow but really slow. I fuck with it for a while but can't solve the problem. I contact U Turn Audio and their outstanding customer service department immediately sends me a new motor. I install it and it's still doing the same thing. So I'm looking at the album and I finally notice that it's recorded at 45 rpm! Apparently I bought the audiophile version (there's also 33 1/3 version). It was two records instead of one. I didn't know there even was such a thing, and I never thought to try a different album. Sounds fucking great though and now I have two motors!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: Yes, I'm a dumbass.
Back in the 80's when the 12" dance remix was all the rage, one of my older brothers played Rita Marley's "One Draw" on the wrong speed for months before anyone figured it out. I also remember a friend picking up a copy of "Free Bird" on an import 12" single. I remember him putting it on and everyone noticing how slow it sounded. At that moment, another friend, that had been stationed overseas when he was in the Navy piped up, "that's how they played it in Scotland!!" Then, there was the time in the mid-80's when I was working at a country station where we were playing "I'm On Fire" by Springsteen. Playing it off the album, rather than a single, someone forgot to change the speed to 33⅓ and it came out sounding like Dolly Parton rather than the Boss.

Did it come out like this. I like this version better than the Boss'. (Ducking and running)
Nothing like it. My point may have been overlooked (wouldn't be the first time). Someone forgot to change the speed on the turntable from 45 rpm to 33⅓, so it came out too fast, thus making Springsteen's vocals sound like Dolly Parton. The Whitey Morgan clip is at the correct speed.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

After about 5 years of running my turntable through cheap sound bars, hand me down surround sound systems, and various BT speakers/jamboxes, I'm finally graduating to a big boy system this week. Got a U Turn Orbit, Onkyo amp, and Polk speakers on the way. If the timing lines up right, American Band should be the first record I drop the needle on.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

...aaaaand Amazon drops the price of the speakers 30% the day they arrive and won't honor the lower price. ah well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:...aaaaand Amazon drops the price of the speakers 30% the day they arrive and won't honor the lower price. ah well.
Aren't they returnable?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

beantownbubba wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:...aaaaand Amazon drops the price of the speakers 30% the day they arrive and won't honor the lower price. ah well.
Aren't they returnable?
yes, and i probably should just send them back and re-order, but i'm extremely lazy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Aren't they returnable?
yes, and i probably should just send them back and re-order, but i'm extremely lazy.
Yeah, I would say not being motivated by a 30% difference almost puts you in my territory when it comes to extreme laziness. :lol: But how about just calling them and telling them that you're going to send them back unless they give u a credit for the price change? Between shipping charges and administrative costs of engaging in the same transaction 2x, it's a pretty big expense for them and I hear they're not too lazy over there at amazon.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

beantownbubba wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Aren't they returnable?
Yeah, I would say not being motivated by a 30% difference almost puts you in my territory when it comes to extreme laziness. :lol: But how about just calling them and telling them that you're going to send them back unless they give u a credit for the price change? Between shipping charges and administrative costs of engaging in the same transaction 2x, it's a pretty big expense for them and I hear they're not too lazy over there at amazon.
:lol: Tried that, but "Reshma R." was not having it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
:lol: Tried that, but "Reshma R." was not having it.

I'm surprised. But now I think you absolutely have to send them back, addressed directly to your good friend Reshma.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

...aaaand the receiver showed up with a huge boot print on the inner box. 0 for 2 on this one, Amazon!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:...aaaand the receiver showed up with a huge boot print on the inner box. 0 for 2 on this one, Amazon!
Man you must have really pissed off Reshma.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

http://mashable.com/2016/12/26/vinyls-m ... T4yTGKuiqu

Anyone ever seen this/have this? For real?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:http://mashable.com/2016/12/26/vinyls-m ... T4yTGKuiqu

:shock: Same questions, plus how much does it cost and do records survive it?

Let us know if you find out anything more about this, ramonz.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

beantownbubba wrote:

Leave it to Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... n-on-vinyl Seems legit....

roland

Post by roland »

Anyone get one of these for Christmas?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio- ... ategory=45

We paid less for our house last summer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Leave it to Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... n-on-vinyl Seems legit....
And...

Down the rabbit hole I go. I have absolutely no need for this thing but I want it. I do need a real turntable, though, and they have now turned me on to the floating record vertical turntable, another product I have no room for but now want just because it looks cool.

PS They raised 4x their goal on kickstarter!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Perfect gift for someone who's into vinyl and toy trains.
Last edited by Clams on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

Neat toys, but how do they sound?
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:Neat toys, but how do they sound?
I assume like shit and they chew up your records. I wouldn't put one of those on my albums if they paid me.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
I assume like shit and they chew up your records. I wouldn't put one of those on my albums if they paid me.
FWIW, based on the sound in the video they provide, the "box" itself sounds pretty bad but the bluetooth speaker sounds about like a decent boombox, i.e. suitable for casual use. They swear that the thing is easy on your records, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to believe that just yet.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
FWIW, based on the sound in the video they provide, the "box" itself sounds pretty bad but the bluetooth speaker sounds about like a decent boombox, i.e. suitable for casual use. They swear that the thing is easy on your records, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to believe that just yet.
I saw a report somewhere recently that said it's about as easy on your records as one of those cheap ass Crosley record players.

BTW, I saw this at The Record exhibit at the Nasher Museum in Durham a few years ago. Quite similar but it was meant solely for the novelty factor.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
BTW, I saw this at The Record exhibit at the Nasher Museum in Durham a few years ago. Quite similar but it was meant solely for the novelty factor.

I kinda get it. That's annoying for the sake of being annoying. Which hipster is next?
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Flea wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I kinda get it. That's annoying for the sake of being annoying. Which hipster is next?
If you check out the link to the exhibit as a whole, it was meant to present vinyl as an art form, which takes place in any number of unconventional ways. Personally, I thought it was cool. I'm not sure that it was meant to be hipster-ish though I could definitely see how someone might come to that conclusion.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: I saw a report somewhere recently that said it's about as easy on your records as one of those cheap ass Crosley record players.
Exactly. I wouldn't put one of my albums on a Crosley either.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Didn't see a better thread to post this in, so chose this one.

I bought some headphones this week. Most of the time I'm listening to music is while working around the house. Mrs. schlanky doesn't like most of the music I like, so I'm usually listening to music with an ipod rather than over the stereo. But the ipod just didn't sound that great. I looked at Neil Young's PONO setup a while back, but didn't like that I'd have to re-buy music. I figured the best course of action would be to try to get a better sound out of my ipod.

This week, I found that the Bang and Olufsen 2nd Gen H6 had good reviews on most every "best headphones" list I found online and they were on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-Bang-Olufse ... s=b%26O+h6

It was more money than I wanted to spend right now, but I justified it with saving $50 on the sale price. I also got a recommended cord upgrade:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MT ... UTF8&psc=1

They arrived today. I played "Telegraph Road" for first listen and switched back and forth between the Apple earbuds and the H6s. And now I feel like a damn moron for putting up with the factory issue earbuds for as long as I did. I can actually hear all the more subtle parts and don't have to turn up as loud to hear the stuff I knew was there but couldn't hear on the earbuds.

I'm assuming most folks reading this already know better because I'm always late to the game, but figured I'd post for the people like me who didn't know yet.

Currently listening to The Dirty South. It's like hearing it for the first time.
Let the outside air in

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Through no virtue of my own, I am about to own most of a really good stereo system, better than anything since I could go into the practice studio and crank it up the house sound. Better really, since I never did have a turntable in there. There's just one thing: No speakers.

I was given a couple pair of fairly nice old cabinets and could, I guess, get those reconed. Or I could buy new tech. I have no idea what's best. Your thoughts?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:32 am
Through no virtue of my own, I am about to own most of a really good stereo system, better than anything since I could go into the practice studio and crank it up the house sound. Better really, since I never did have a turntable in there. There's just one thing: No speakers.

I was given a couple pair of fairly nice old cabinets and could, I guess, get those reconed. Or I could buy new tech. I have no idea what's best. Your thoughts?
I am no expert by any means, but it seems you should get speakers that are the type that were common when the other components were new. I guess the biggest deciding factor is analog vs digital. I have an analog system from the 90's, and have no interest in upgrading my Polk Audio towers into something modern. One piece of advice. I have had my stereo in 4 different places I have lived, all different. My subwoofer basically doubles the sound quality in all four environments. One a second floor living room, one a concrete slab foundation, and two, older homes with wood floors and crawlspace or basement underneath. In the last scenario, the whole house literally becomes part of the system.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:32 am

How big is the space you'll have the system in? Thinking floorstanders or bookshelf/standmounts? Budget?
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs