Turntable/Record Player advice

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Turntable/Record Player advice

Post by Jonicont »

GW in IA wrote:Interesting that this thread came back right now. I just stumbled across a realistic LAB 2100 turntable at a yard sale yesterday. anyone have opinions, pro/con about linear tracking tables? mechanically, everything works good, and I went ahead and ordered a new cartridge, but just wondering if any of you have used one before.

Never heard one. The new ones they make today cost a shitload of money. Here's a link for fixin'
Always go to the show

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

For those of you in Southern California, this is THE place to start when considering a analog turntable.http://www.patleaver.com Pat does everything out of his house, is reasonable, and KNOWS HIS SHIT. Here is my turntable he refurbished. A late 70's direct drive Pioneer. The record playing, part of a 4 LP set, cost about the same as the turntable did. Either the record was really expensive, or Pat is very reasonable. (both actually) Image

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Jonicont wrote:
GW in IA wrote:Interesting that this thread came back right now. I just stumbled across a realistic LAB 2100 turntable at a yard sale yesterday. anyone have opinions, pro/con about linear tracking tables? mechanically, everything works good, and I went ahead and ordered a new cartridge, but just wondering if any of you have used one before.

Never heard one. The new ones they make today cost a shitload of money. Here's a link for fixin'

It should have been SO FUCKING EASY!!!

But no, I can never leave well enough alone. I wound up pulling all the wires out of the connecter on the tone arm... For now I have a piece of garbage that I'll be unwilling to actually throw in the garbage... Maybe this winter. ;)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm finally about to get back to listening to vinyl.

My entry level set up is: U-turn Audio Orbit Basic turntable (a Boston Kickstarter success story, BTB); Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver w/80 watts per channel; Polk Audio RTi8 floor standing speakers; and I'm taking a big Onkyo powered subwoofer from my home theater setup and adding that. Got everything except the turntable which I am unwrapping on Christmas from my children :D
Cannot wait.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Markalanbishop wrote:I'm finally about to get back to listening to vinyl.

My entry level set up is: U-turn Audio Orbit Basic turntable (a Boston Kickstarter success story, BTB); Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver w/80 watts per channel; Polk Audio RTi8 floor standing speakers; and I'm taking a big Onkyo powered subwoofer from my home theater setup and adding that. Got everything except the turntable which I am unwrapping on Christmas from my children :D
Cannot wait.
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole
Always go to the show

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Markalanbishop wrote:I'm finally about to get back to listening to vinyl.

Cannot wait.

I just saw those U Turn orbit TT's on line. My daughter wants one. Let me know what you think of it after it has a few hours on it. I know Michael Fremer gave them a great review and I certainly trust his opinion.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm soliciting advice on how to clean my albums that haven't been played for 20 years. Help!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

2 options

Motorized-(VPI, Nitty Gritty)--expect to drop $500 for an entry level

Manual--Spin Clean--about $80

Both clean equally as well IMO, but others may disagree

I'm a manual guy but I like fingering vinyl (I see a Flea opening here)

Of course, if you have some chump change hanging around you could get an ultrasonic cleaner for about 4 grand

NB--stay away from the thumb and spit method
Always go to the show

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I bought a Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine 10 years ago and it's the best decision I've made regarding records. I bought a no-thrills entry level machine for around $250 and it's been a workhorse every since. I think if you have a large collection it's worth it. I have right around 1,500 LPs in my collection and every single one has been cleaned on the Nitty Gritty (I clean new vinyl as well).
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Definitely clean new vinyl
Always go to the show

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Just saw this turntable add. Looks like a good deal, but I really like a dustcover. http://uturnaudio.com

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

oilpiers wrote:Just saw this turntable add. Looks like a good deal, but I really like a dustcover. http://uturnaudio.com
My Thorens has a removable dustcover and that thing has been in the closet for years.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

oilpiers wrote:Just saw this turntable add. Looks like a good deal, but I really like a dustcover. http://uturnaudio.com

It comes with one.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

sactochris wrote:
It comes with one.
Just found out it doesn't come with a cue. No big deal and not expensive to add--no way I trust my hands to be steady enough.
Also, does anyone use a center weight and/or clamp or is this just for people with state of the art systems? Curious to know if it makes a difference sonically. Sounds like a good idea in principle, but waiting to hear from you guys. I went to three record stores yesterday and got three different opinions on this. Thanks.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i don't use one but some of my friends do.

they also tend to be super anal about sound quality.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Markalanbishop wrote:
sactochris wrote:
It comes with one.
Just found out it doesn't come with a cue. No big deal and not expensive to add--no way I trust my hands to be steady enough.
Also, does anyone use a center weight and/or clamp or is this just for people with state of the art systems? Curious to know if it makes a difference sonically. Sounds like a good idea in principle, but waiting to hear from you guys. I went to three record stores yesterday and got three different opinions on this. Thanks.
No cue? WTF is that all about? 3 things all turntables need regardless of everything else. Dustcover, auto return, and cueing. No reason to mess with anything without all three. The high end ones without auto return really baffle me. How is that good in any respect?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

So far so good on my U Turn Orbit turntable. But here's a confession: A while back I bought Bonnie Raitt's new record. I put it on and it's playing really slowly--not dog ear slow but really slow. I fuck with it for a while but can't solve the problem. I contact U Turn Audio and their outstanding customer service department immediately sends me a new motor. I install it and it's still doing the same thing. So I'm looking at the album and I finally notice that it's recorded at 45 rpm! Apparently I bought the audiophile version (there's also 33 1/3 version). It was two records instead of one. I didn't know there even was such a thing, and I never thought to try a different album. Sounds fucking great though and now I have two motors!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: Yes, I'm a dumbass.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:So far so good on my U Turn Orbit turntable. But here's a confession: A while back I bought Bonnie Raitt's new record. I put it on and it's playing really slowly--not dog ear slow but really slow. I fuck with it for a while but can't solve the problem. I contact U Turn Audio and their outstanding customer service department immediately sends me a new motor. I install it and it's still doing the same thing. So I'm looking at the album and I finally notice that it's recorded at 45 rpm! Apparently I bought the audiophile version (there's also 33 1/3 version). It was two records instead of one. I didn't know there even was such a thing, and I never thought to try a different album. Sounds fucking great though and now I have two motors!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: Yes, I'm a dumbass.
When my late buddy Phil turned up with the Public Image Ltd. record in a can, we played it quite a bit and enjoyed it before we discovered we were playing it at the wrong speed. It sounded pretty good at the right speed, too, but the wrong speed was maybe a little better.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

oilpiers wrote: No cue? WTF is that all about? 3 things all turntables need regardless of everything else. Dustcover, auto return, and cueing. No reason to mess with anything without all three. The high end ones without auto return really baffle me. How is that good in any respect?
A cue is the only thing that's important to me. I never use a dust cover when listening to records. Luckily my Thorens TD-160 Super has a removable dustcover. What's so important about an auto-return? The less mechanical a turntable is the better as far as I'm concerned. Besides I can easily get off the couch when the side of a record ends. No big deal.

I don't want any bells & whistles when it comes to a turntable. All I care about is sound quality. I want a rock solid and quiet motor (I prefer belt-driven) and outstanding arm/cartridge combo. I don't care about anything else.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

What's a cue? Asking for my idiot friend.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Duke Silver wrote:What's a cue? Asking for my idiot friend.
He'll need pictures, then! It's the thing pointed to by the arrow from '218'. That's too won ate, for him. No, no--don't thank me. Hope this helps!

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Ah, the lifter thingy. My friend thanks you!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

roland

Post by roland »

brett27295 wrote:
oilpiers wrote: No cue? WTF is that all about? 3 things all turntables need regardless of everything else. Dustcover, auto return, and cueing. No reason to mess with anything without all three. The high end ones without auto return really baffle me. How is that good in any respect?
A cue is the only thing that's important to me. I never use a dust cover when listening to records. Luckily my Thorens TD-160 Super has a removable dustcover. What's so important about an auto-return? The less mechanical a turntable is the better as far as I'm concerned. Besides I can easily get off the couch when the side of a record ends. No big deal.

I don't want any bells & whistles when it comes to a turntable. All I care about is sound quality. I want a rock solid and quiet motor (I prefer belt-driven) and outstanding arm/cartridge combo. I don't care about anything else.
My thoughts exactly, to the T. Since I'm a fatass, I need the exercise of getting up to flip the disc. My Pro-Ject 1Xpression has a power switch and a cue lever. That's all I need.

John A Arkansawyer

Duke Silver wrote:Ah, the lifter thingy. My friend thanks you!
Your friend is welcome! Let him know I've URLified that so he can Google it on his own for the next time.

tinnitus photography

the cue on my TT hasn't worked for at least 20 years.

scotto

Post by scotto »

I never use a cue. Unless you've had way too much to drink, they're never as precise as just easing the tonearm up and over with your own digits.
I'm also not a fan of the auto-return feature and prefer the simple approach (Rega, et al). But I do have an old Dual 1229 that I use for 78s and mono LPs (and is, coincidentally, the 'table pictured in the above illustration--or is that a 1219?) that has auto-return, although I always lift the tonearm up before it kicks in.
Glad to hear the Orbit is a winner. I have a friend with one who loves it, but I haven't heard it myself.
On an only slightly unrelated note, the much-maligned Crosley Co. is even getting into the respectable turntable market: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/cro ... JuCZ5Wd.97
The world continues to get safer for vinyl.

tinnitus photography

i have manual return but have left an LP spinning overnight on more than one occasion. :oops:

mounted my new blue point II yesterday... sounding good!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

scotto wrote:I never use a cue. Unless you've had way too much to drink, they're never as precise as just easing the tonearm up and over with your own digits.
I'm the exception. I don't trust myself to lower or lift off the tonearm with my own digits. The cue works so much better for me.

roland

Post by roland »

brett27295 wrote:
scotto wrote:I never use a cue. Unless you've had way too much to drink, they're never as precise as just easing the tonearm up and over with your own digits.
I'm the exception. I don't trust myself to lower or lift off the tonearm with my own digits. The cue works so much better for me.
Me too.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Markalanbishop wrote:So far so good on my U Turn Orbit turntable. But here's a confession: A while back I bought Bonnie Raitt's new record. I put it on and it's playing really slowly--not dog ear slow but really slow. I fuck with it for a while but can't solve the problem. I contact U Turn Audio and their outstanding customer service department immediately sends me a new motor. I install it and it's still doing the same thing. So I'm looking at the album and I finally notice that it's recorded at 45 rpm! Apparently I bought the audiophile version (there's also 33 1/3 version). It was two records instead of one. I didn't know there even was such a thing, and I never thought to try a different album. Sounds fucking great though and now I have two motors!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: Yes, I'm a dumbass.
Back in the 80's when the 12" dance remix was all the rage, one of my older brothers played Rita Marley's "One Draw" on the wrong speed for months before anyone figured it out. I also remember a friend picking up a copy of "Free Bird" on an import 12" single. I remember him putting it on and everyone noticing how slow it sounded. At that moment, another friend, that had been stationed overseas when he was in the Navy piped up, "that's how they played it in Scotland!!" Then, there was the time in the mid-80's when I was working at a country station where we were playing "I'm On Fire" by Springsteen. Playing it off the album, rather than a single, someone forgot to change the speed to 33⅓ and it came out sounding like Dolly Parton rather than the Boss.