Turntable/Record Player advice

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Turntable/Record Player advice

Post by ramonz »

Jumping back in after 30 years, and don't really know the lingo, costs, best brands, etc. anymore.

Any advice on "need to have" vs. "nice to have" vs. "doesn't matter" would be appreciated. I plan on getting something off of Craig's List to start (OK idea?), and just need to know a few key features and/or what to avoid. Thanks!

(apologies if this thread already exists - searched, but not too long)

beantownbubba

Re: Turntable/Record Player advice

Post by beantownbubba »

There is a thread on this topic but I can't remember what it was called. It was more generally related to audio hardware, not just turntables. It would probably be easiest to search by one of the brands mentioned and these might work: As best I can remember Rega and Denon were mentioned as the best "low end of high end" type tables. In any case, Scotto was the man w/ all the answers (tho he would no doubt hate that characterization).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

What is your budget?

What are you plugging it into?

If you are going the CL route, you will probably be getting something vintage. I'd stick with something direct drive (Technics, Yamaha, Hitachi). Wouldn't pay more than $80
Always go to the show

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Jonicont wrote:What is your budget?

If you are going the CL route, you will probably be getting something vintage. I'd stick with something direct drive (Technics, Yamaha, Hitachi). Wouldn't pay more than $80

good advice, Mr. Dick Clark. I purchased an Audio Technica turnatable for $100 but I know you can get it cheaper.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

bovine knievel wrote:

good advice, Mr. Dick Clark. I purchased an Audio Technica turnatable for $100 but I know you can get it cheaper.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

This is a good unit for someone who wants to get back into the game but can't or doesn't want to commit to jumping down the rabbit hole. I've heard it and it sounds fine. If you catch the upgrade bug later, at least you haven't shelled out big money
Always go to the show

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I have a Sony STR-DE545 Receiver (around 1997 vintage, but in great shape): http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gm7kBN3Kxqr/p_156STRE545/Sony-STR-DE545.html#overview-tab and JBL TLX151 speakers (probably around '97 as well). That's it - no extra equipment other than that.

I'll probably budget $100 or so for the turntable.

So you think look for those brands on CL, and don't be too concerned about the year? I had a Technics back in the day.

How about the needle/cartridge? Thanks!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Well your receiver doesn't have a phono input so you'll need a phono pre-amp. A cheap new one is about $75. You'll have to spend about $70 for a new budget cartridge. The audio technica has all of the above built in plus you can rip lps to your computer
Always go to the show

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

ramonz wrote:Jumping back in after 30 years, and don't really know the lingo, costs, best brands, etc. anymore.

Any advice on "need to have" vs. "nice to have" vs. "doesn't matter" would be appreciated. I plan on getting something off of Craig's List to start (OK idea?), and just need to know a few key features and/or what to avoid. Thanks!

(apologies if this thread already exists - searched, but not too long)

If we lived in the same country I would give you my Yamaha P22) I bought new back in the day. Ortofon OM5 cart, new belt, runs like a top.

I am in the throes of upgrading.

I dipped out on a Rega RP3 with lots of tasty upgrades last week so am still looking. I quite like the RP3 in standard trim, and Pro Ject make some good budget kit.

Your new(er) amp will not have a phono stage (basically a little preamplifier) built in: some TT's have them, others dont but if they do it is always reflected in the price.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions! And SF, thanks for the freebie offer.

As a 30-years-have-lapsed newbie, not sure how I can go wrong with this: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1377893590&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

Oh, and once I get all set up, do people still use the spray and felt tube thing to get the dust/debris off the records?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

ramonz wrote:Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions! And SF, thanks for the freebie offer.

As a 30-years-have-lapsed newbie, not sure how I can go wrong with this: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1377893590&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

Oh, and once I get all set up, do people still use the spray and felt tube thing to get the dust/debris off the records?

That's the turntable I have and you will be more than satisfied.

roland

Post by roland »

[quote="ramonz"]Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions! And SF, thanks for the freebie offer.

Oh, and once I get all set up, do people still use the spray and felt tube thing to get the dust/debris off the records?[/quote]

I still do, but I use the dropper bottle of cleaning fluid. Every new disc out of the sleeve, and as needed.

scotto

Post by scotto »

mmmfff...sniff...sniff...turntables?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Santa delivered. The basic (but fine for me, for now) A-T described above. Since I don't have EO to drop the needle on, the first record I've played in 30 years.....was.....On The Beach. Mighty fine.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

ramonz wrote:Santa delivered. The basic (but fine for me, for now) A-T described above. Since I don't have EO to drop the needle on, the first record I've played in 30 years.....was.....On The Beach. Mighty fine.

What-- no Ramones--blasphemy
Always go to the show

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I know - a friend's mom was "cleaning out the garage" one summer many years ago and tossed out all my Ramones vinyl, including a bunch that were signed. I'm not sure I ever really forgave her. Who does that??

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ramonz wrote:I know - a friend's mom was "cleaning out the garage" one summer many years ago and tossed out all my Ramones vinyl, including a bunch that were signed. I'm not sure I ever really forgave her. Who does that??

My best friend and I were in a record store yesterday when he found a nice vinyl copy of The Clash bootleg Clampdown USA. When we looked at the back cover, we saw our old friend Scooter (visible with me in the Pictures of You thread) had bought it over thirty years ago. I may have sold it to him.

(And I'm still kinda bitter about losing my BOC t-shirt from the Agents of Fortune tour in much the same way you lost your vinyl.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I bought the Crosley turntable/cd player/tape deck/i pod hookup its pretty sweet.. I need to find some tower speakers to hook it up to... any suggestions?

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

ramonz wrote:I know - a friend's mom was "cleaning out the garage" one summer many years ago and tossed out all my Ramones vinyl, including a bunch that were signed. I'm not sure I ever really forgave her. Who does that??

Oh dude, that sucks.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

dbtfan4life wrote:I bought the Crosley turntable/cd player/tape deck/i pod hookup its pretty sweet.. I need to find some tower speakers to hook it up to... any suggestions?

Not sure which model you have but from the Crosley website.

Can I use my existing speakers with a Crosley product?
Yes, on units that feature external speaker outputs. Please note, though, that most Crosley products have line signal outputs only. For speakers greater than 5 watts in power, an external amplifier will be needed to power the speakers.

Can advise you better with model and budget
Always go to the show

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

its model number CR2405C

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

dbtfan4life wrote:its model number CR2405C

You have RCA type audio outs on the back. You need to hook into an amp and then hook speakers to the amp
Always go to the show

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

ok thanks

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

My Grandmother did the same with all my Pops original Stones and Small Faces/Faces collection...He never ever forgave her and neither did I !!
It's Great To Be Alive........

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I advise you to buy this or not to buy this. I think either way would work just fine:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Anyone know of a decent, small turntable? Looking for something about 12" x 13" to fit inside a console where the old, nonworking player used to be.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

There are a few novelty, battery operated tables out there. I doubt you would want to play your vinyl on them
Always go to the show

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I advise you to buy this or not to buy this. I think either way would work just fine:

Want
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Jonicont wrote:There are a few novelty, battery operated tables out there. I doubt you would want to play your vinyl on them
That's what I figured
ain't no static on the gospel radio

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Interesting that this thread came back right now. I just stumbled across a realistic LAB 2100 turntable at a yard sale yesterday. anyone have opinions, pro/con about linear tracking tables? mechanically, everything works good, and I went ahead and ordered a new cartridge, but just wondering if any of you have used one before.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.