Turntable/Record Player advice

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Turntable/Record Player advice

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

oilpiers wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:20 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:32 am
Through no virtue of my own, I am about to own most of a really good stereo system, better than anything since I could go into the practice studio and crank it up the house sound. Better really, since I never did have a turntable in there. There's just one thing: No speakers.

I was given a couple pair of fairly nice old cabinets and could, I guess, get those reconed. Or I could buy new tech. I have no idea what's best. Your thoughts?
I am no expert by any means, but it seems you should get speakers that are the type that were common when the other components were new. I guess the biggest deciding factor is analog vs digital. I have an analog system from the 90's, and have no interest in upgrading my Polk Audio towers into something modern.
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:34 pm
How big is the space you'll have the system in? Thinking floorstanders or bookshelf/standmounts? Budget?
This is a beautiful system for which I don't think I can afford contemporary speakers unless I get mine reconed. This'll be in a smallish room, I'd say 15"x12". I'll fit the furniture around the speakers.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:07 pm

This is a beautiful system for which I don't think I can afford contemporary speakers unless I get mine reconed. This'll be in a smallish room, I'd say 15"x12". I'll fit the furniture around the speakers.
What are you powering this with (make,model, preamp? Amp? Integrated?). Which speakers do you have? Do you have a budget?
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Jonicont wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:35 pm

What are you powering this with (make,model, preamp? Amp? Integrated?). Which speakers do you have? Do you have a budget?
It's components. I don't recall a preamp. The amp proper is a lovely big old Pioneer. My cabinets which (I assume) need reconing are pairs of Sharp CP-5100s and Pioneer Quartet 50s. My budget is smallish unless it has to be more.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:58 pm
Jonicont wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:35 pm

It's components. I don't recall a preamp. The amp proper is a lovely big old Pioneer. My cabinets which (I assume) need reconing are pairs of Sharp CP-5100s and Pioneer Quartet 50s. My budget is smallish unless it has to be more.
Vintage stuff is a crap shoot. But hey it's free!. You can get a refoam kit for $15 on Ebay for the Quartet 50s. Give it a shot
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Jonicont wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Vintage stuff is a crap shoot. But hey it's free!.
I'm happy to roll the dice on a Technics turntable owned and maintained by a mechanical engineer! It was all working fine the last time he turned it off.
Jonicont wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm
You can get a refoam kit for $15 on Ebay for the Quartet 50s. Give it a shot
This stereo deserves better than my best efforts at repair, but the speakers didn't come with it. Hm. Is this how Dave Davies started out?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i've stumbled, cobbled, refurbished and purchased my way into an older school set up.

mistsubushi lt-20 turntable-linear tracking (early 80s)
kenwood kr-930 receiver (84ish)
acoustic research ar-6 speakers (early 70s)

small record room 10ish x 15ish.

sound fills up this old house.