Only in Philadelphia

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Only in Philadelphia

Post by RolanK »

Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:Oh that's right. Forgot it's KRAFT food. That's like the GE of foods isn't it? Sometime they change the name of a otherwise similar product to suit the different markets and avoid unfortunate associations, so I guess it was still a valid question.

Yeah, but you guys eat lutefisk, so you'll eat damn near anything.

Have you tasted it? Lutefisk is absolutely delicious. I have a theory however that in the US it's been mixed up with the Swedish Surströming witch is actually semi rotten fermended canned herring. It both tastes and smells like DEATH! If you like cod, and especially the Portoguese Bacalao I'm pretty sure you are going to like the Lutefisk as well. It's served with crisp bacon poored over it!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:It's served with crisp bacon poored over it!

Well, that changes everything!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

RolanK wrote:
Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:Oh that's right. Forgot it's KRAFT food. That's like the GE of foods isn't it? Sometime they change the name of a otherwise similar product to suit the different markets and avoid unfortunate associations, so I guess it was still a valid question.

Yeah, but you guys eat lutefisk, so you'll eat damn near anything.

Have you tasted it? Lutefisk is absolutely delicious. I have a theory however that in the US it's been mixed up with the Swedish Surströming witch is actually semi rotten fermended canned herring. It both tastes and smells like DEATH! If you like cod, and especially the Portoguese Bacalao I'm pretty sure you are going to like the Lutefisk as well. It's served with crisp bacon poored over it!

I'm convinced, send me some. And some of the rotten fermented stuff for comparison.
Now it's dark.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^^ :lol:

I can bring some to the next Homecoming if you be there.

In the meantime, try the Lutefisk Hotline 1-800-882-0212. I am sure Olsen Fish co. will be able to help. http://www.olsenfish.com/lutefisk.cfm

I would strongly advise against the Surströmming though. I've only done it once and when I was leaving the party I tried to get a cab, but was thrown out after only about 200 meters due to smell.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

RolanK wrote:^^^^^ :lol:

In the meantime, try the Lutefisk Hotline 1-800-882-0212. I am sure Olsen Fish co. will be able to help. http://www.olsenfish.com/lutefisk.cfm

I would strongly advise against the Surströmming though. I've only done it once and when I was leaving the party I tried to get a cab, but was thrown out after only about 200 meters due to smell.

Yet another reason I gotta get my ass there.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I ate some of these last weekend. Damn tasty!

Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:^^^^^ :lol:

Yet another reason I gotta get my ass there.

He's a man of his word too, if he says he's bringing you something he does. Being part Norwegian I have had real lutefisk though and you can knock yourself out on that one. Now, I will gladly drink aquavit with y'all.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Talk about insurance scams in Philly, but I'm sure this happens in several areas where there's lot's of cars with deer running around. But, somehow, Philly gets the credit. Check out this story from Pennlive.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... er_default

cortez the killer

- DPM

phungi

Post by phungi »

cortez the killer wrote:Image

In case you were wondering why expensive showy race cars are very rarely seen in Philly...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

phungi

Post by phungi »

This just in:

Jonathan Papelbon ejected after blowing save and grabbing his crotch

It's not clear if he was "adjusting" his package, but it's pretty damned funny either way...

cortez the killer

- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We have Ice Girls in Columbus. I think they throw a couple guys out there too to avoid charges of sexism
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:We have Ice Girls in Columbus. I think they throw a couple guys out there too to avoid charges of sexism

As my man Mike would say, that's a half-measure.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

phungi

Post by phungi »

The Flyers brass did try out the "ice boys" replacement squad for a pre-season game, which was met with (IMHO, appropriate) jeers:

Flyers Fans Boo, Want Ice Girls Back

phungi

Post by phungi »

Not sure if this is 100% Philly-centric, but amidst the rape allegations of Bill Cosby, who happens to be a member of Temple University's Board of Trustees, the Onion completely nailed this one

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Just discovered this last night.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Where do all the hippies meet?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=22Wk98IH2fU
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Black Madam: I am the Michelangelo of butt injections

She has no medical training or license and she's on trial in the 2011 death of a woman on whom she injected silicone in a buttocks-enhancement procedure performed in a Philadelphia hotel room.

But for Padge Victoria Windslowe, the former entertainer known as the "Black Madam," remorse or humility are not part of her vocabulary.

In a last-minute pretrial hearing Thursday before the Philadelphia Common Pleas Court jury was brought in for the start of the trial, Windslowe told the judge she was known as the "Michelangelo of buttocks injections."

"A lot of people came to me. ... My work spoke for itself," Windslowe, 43, told Judge Rose Marie DeFino-Nastasi.

The hearing was about whether Assistant District Attorneys Carlos Vega and Bridget Kirn may present evidence of "prior bad acts" - buttocks enhancements that went bad before the 2011 death of British exotic dancer Claudia Aderotimi.

Windslowe testified that she knew nothing about the hospitalization of a New York woman after a 2008 incident where she injected silicone into four women in a Philadelphia hotel room.

And she maintained that the cosmetic enhancement she performed were safe: "It's an art, it's body sculpting.

"God blessed my hands with everything I touched," Windslowe testified.

The judge allowed the prosecutors to use the evidence of the 2008 incident and the lawyers are to begin opening statements later this morning.

On Wednesday, in another pretrial proceeding, DeFino-Nastasi denied a defense motion to abort the trial because of the absence of a key prosecution witness.

The judge ruled that the 2012 preliminary hearing testimony of witness Theresa Gyamfi may instead be read to the trial jury.

Defense attorney David S. Rudenstein had argued that prosecutors did not tell him until Wednesday morning that Gyamfi, a British citizen, refused to return to the United States to testify in Windslowe's trial.

Moreover, Rudenstein said, prosecutors had known about Gyamfi's refusal to return as far back as last April, when his illness forced postponement of the trial.

Windslowe, who has been imprisoned on $750,000 bail since her arrest in February 2012, was effervescent as ever during Wednesday's hearing hearing.

She flirted with prosecutor Vega and afterward cooed at Rudenstein, "I'm very happy with you Mr. Rudenstein; you made my day a delight."

"Well, that's good," deadpanned Rudenstein.

Kirn said they worked with the FBI and got Scotland Yard to go to Gyamfi's London home to try to convince her to change her mind without success. Scotland Yard officials said they had no authority to compel a witness to go to another country to testify - even if all expenses were paid.

Kirn said her last contact with Gyamfi was a Feb. 5 e-mail exchange in which she said Gyamfi wrote: "I think I will pray that all will go well. I'm leaving everything in the Lord's hands and I will not be willing to travel."

Vega argued against delaying the trial. He noted that, at the Oct. 10, 2012 preliminary hearing, the judge gave Windslowe's then-attorney extra latitude in questioning Gyamfi.

Vega said he worried then that Gyamfi might refuse to travel or could become seriously ill or die because she also received silicone injections to enhance her buttocks at one of Windslowe's so-called "pumping parties."

Gyamfi testified at the preliminary hearing that she was present on Feb. 11, 2011 when 20-year-old exotic dancer Claudia Aderotimi received a silicone injection in her buttocks.

Moments later, Gyamfi testified, Aderotimi began complaining of a growing pain in her chest. Twelve hours later, Aderotimi, who had traveled from London to a Philadelphia hotel room for the injection, was dead.

In addition to third-degree murder in Aderotimi's death, Windslowe is charged with aggravated assault for an injection she gave 23-year-old exotic dancer Shurkia King on Feb. 19, 2012 at a pumping party at an East Germantown home.

King wound up hospitalized, vomiting blood and struggling to breathe. Doctors found that silicone injected into her buttocks had migrated in her body and fragments were in her heart and lungs.

Though she has no medical training, Windslowe - once a "gothic hip-hop performer who called herself Black Madam" - she allegedly charged $1,000 to $1,800 per injection for illegal buttocks enhancements

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150 ... bkzFsR4.99
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

As you’re aware this Monday is the Phillies home opener. 3 of my friends and I have been dressing up in tuxedos and going to the game for the last 6 years. My one friend has season tickets 1st row 3rd base line, and what started as an attempt to get on sportscenter, has gradually been reduced to simply tradition. We usually rent a limo and tailgate in K lot looking like the biggest of idiots. However, we have a great time and usually get on TV every year.

This year is no different, and we will be arriving in a stretch limo dressed to the nines in our formal black tuxes, red vests, and red chuck taylors. If you happen to be at the game, tailgating, and drowning in the frustration that is this baseball team, please feel free to join us. We shouldn’t be hard to locate, as we’ll be the only idiots arriving in a giant limo wearing tuxes. Attached are a few pictures of the past years.
- DPM

phungi

Post by phungi »

Speaking of the Phillies, if anyone has "on demand" cable, check out this episode of the Goldbergs, in which they attempted to recreate Veteran's Stadium.

Definitely a few good laughs and iconic stadium bathroom moments.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Gabba Goofa Brains!
Beebs is not a ragey man

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

oh for cry....nvmd
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Sweet 16 party gets bombarded by poop

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2230461

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing