Headhunters Backyard Party

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Headhunters Backyard Party

Post by Jonicont »

Well Jeff had another backyard party this year and it was a doozie. Just want to thank him and his wife Beth for hosting an incredible night. Many pictures were taken including some by people who actually know how to photograph so I'm sure they will be popping up. The boys were on fire and I'm pretty sure everyone had a great fucking time. Peopled dropped $$ into the jar and walked away with the above poster. We raised $861 for Nuci's
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Re: Headhunters Backyard Party

Post by beantownbubba »

It was most alsum. Thanks to jeff & jon and their families for a wonderful day. Good job on the weather. And oh yeah thanks to Patterson and the Rumblers, the second coming of Rush (or insert power trio of your choice). For 3 guys in a backyard, they rocked the fuck out, w/ Jay playing bass & keys simultaneously. Fabulous re-working of PPOTM and great versions of "Come Back Little Star" and "Daddy Needs a Drink" among others.

Special thanks for the contributions made by emandrisdad and clams. Beer, pretzels and music on a perfect early summer night. Aaaaaaahhhh.

Now if someone could just take care of the traffic...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

It was truly something special. Manhattan for the first time on Thursday, left Saturday morning, caught a Mets game, then went to this show. It was extremely surreal meeting so many people I have communicated with on this board, as well as the many MMJ board posters who were there. I know Headhunter, Penny Lane, and myself are huge fans of both bands, and it was great killing two birds with one backyard show. I wanted to meet Beantownbubba, Clams, and Slipkid. Maybe I did and just did not know it. I am so glad I had a real family business reason to make this trip all he way from L.A. I feel far less guilty. Here is one of my better shots, but expect Tinnitus to post some likely better ones than me. I am helping liquidate a house in Boston my family inherited, and brought a big old jug of Bacardi to donate. Glad that Jay Gonzalez left with it. He is one hell of a nice guy, and the new king of power pop. Check out his album if you have not yet. Big Star and the Beatles have some new competition.
P.S. Tim, this was spot metered, other modes did not work for me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That's a great pic oilpiers! We sure wish we could have been there but we wouldn't have missed StevieRay's wedding for the world. We did have a chance to see the band play and visit with Jay a bit yesterday (and yes he is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet) at Clearwater so the weekend for us was a total success. Glad y'all had such a great time!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RMD

Post by RMD »

What a great time. Thanks to Jeff & John again. I may have had too good a time, :lol: , after the set I was pretty much speaking in tongues to Jay. What a good sport, "I think I know what your saying", (Jay). Classic. Great seeing everyone, and meeting some new.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I want to extend a huge thanks to Jeff & Dr. John (and their families) for hosting such a fabulous event. The weather was picture perfect & Patterson, EZB & Jay made some beautiful music. I got to meet pearlysnaps & tinnitus & their lovely significant others. They are some really good people. I met a few others as well, but I'm not sure if they're on the board or not. Things were gettin' a little fuzzy (esp.after Gang Green & Freefall hooked me up with that Golden Monkey). I got to chat briefly w/Jay & Patterson, who are always very congenial; but seemed to be extra friendly in the relaxed backyard atmosphere. One of Jeff's friends, designed the cool spaceman poster & Patterson signed my copy. On top of everything else, I got to fulfill a bucket list wish, as Cole deputized me as a roadie & I got to help him & EZB w/the load-out. It don't get much better than that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

yeah, big thanks to Headhunter and Jonicont for getting this thing to happen and for the invitation...flawless execution, amazing setting, perfect set list. what more could anyone ask for?!

had a lot of fun talking w/ various 3DD'ers...about the only people i knew by face were Uncle Rickey and Cooleygirl, BillinCT, Penny and Beantownbubba. now i can add a few more to my list. had a blast shooting the shit w/ Slipkid before the show, and talking w/ Oilpiers, Clams and a few more that the Sixpoint Righteous Ryes i was drinking helped fade into the ether.

i hadn't noticed how tall Patterson was until others who remain nameless tried to speak into his mic. :mrgreen:

i tried to turn off my photography instincts and just sit back and enjoy the show (and was pretty successful), but i did get a few shots that i'll put up later tonight or so.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that i got to add a bunch of 3dders to my life list. A pleasure as always - either everyone's on their best behavior when i meet them or we have a statistically unlikely special group of people. There was not a single person, old friend (sterling big mouth being the biggest surprise of those) or new that I didn't wish i got to spend more time with.

W/ apologies to those I will undoubtedly leave out: Oilpiers (yes we met; as dee dee might say, i guess i don't light up a room when i walk in. Fuck.); gang green; freefall; pearlysnaps (and spouse); rev matt (finally!); and although it took most of the night, headhunter, the host w/ the most.

And while not an "official" hostess, I was remiss in not thanking cooley girl earlier for all her hard work in making the day a success.

Clams

Post by Clams »

What a great evening. Unfortunately I did not make it to Jonicont's (5 friggin hours from Philly to Long Island, bumper-to-bumper most of the way!). The vibe in Jeff and Beth's yard was just so perfect and relaxed. Patterson, Jay and EZB came on at 8:45 just as it was getting dark and within 15 minutes the big dipper was shining bright directly overhead. They opened with a new song (mid tempo and twangy) that sounded great and then went into some mostly acoustic stuff from Heat Lightning and Killers and Stars, plus another new song (I remember hearing the word "ponder" a lot). After about 30 minutes, Patterson broke out the SG and that's when they morphed into a power trio and really turned it up a few notches - Murdering Oscar, Heavy and Hanging (with Jay playing bass and keys at the same time, one with one had and one with the other), Pollyanna and then the rearranged Putting People on the Moon - slowed down and burning, totally different and totally cool. Then a few more from Heat Lightning before finishing things off with Back of a Bible. As others have mentioned, the band and crew were all really relaxed - drinking, mingling, chatting, etc. I had a chance to speak to Patterson after the show as he was smearing mustard on a soft pretzel and he mentioned that the two new songs (he told me the titles but I can't remember them) were very new - one was played the night before for the first time and the other was a debut, and it was too soon to tell if they'd become DBT songs. He also mentioned that they will be recording a new record in the fall and will be announcing a few more shows soon (he mentioned Cleveland and Philly :)). It was so nice to spend time with so many nice folks - the Philly crew was there (Van and Katy, Guinness and Lynn, Frank), Emandrisdad brought me a delicious growler of pale ale, and I met RMD and also Pearlysnaps and Tinnitus (and their much-better better halves) for the first time. Was nice to catch up with old friends like Bubba and Mrs Bubba, Sterling Big Mouth, Prof, Rev Matt (whose mullet must be seen to be believed), Slip Kid and the mrs, Big Tom, Gang Green and of course Bill, Penny Lane, and Luke and Sarah who were manning the merch table. Oilpiers, I must have missed you, I had no idea you were there! It was a long ride home - walked in the door at 2:15 - but well worth the effort. So nice of Jeff and Beth and Jonicont to work so hard and open up their homes and yards to all of us misfits...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Last edited by Clams on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Really wish the Mrs and I could have made it. Sounds like a special evening for sure.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

wow, what a day and night it was.
don't know where to start but thanking Jonicont for all of his help in co-producing this event with me and pulling off this special night is a good start. this event was certainly a lot of work but it was also an incredible amount of fun. I think the two of us were getting kinda giddy during the final week when all of the details had fallen into place and the weather forecast said "zero percent chance of rain." Dr. John & I had a blast and he is the ultimate details man. I knew we were in good shape when I got a text from him Friday morning saying, "I think we need rubber bands" for the posters. that's what was left to do.

also incredibly big thanks to Chris & Nick for the excellent job with the sound system. lugging all the equipment in, setting it up, getting it perfect, playing sound engineer and then taking it all down at the end of the night was alot of work but both of these fine young men did a kick-ass job while still managing to have some fun. the 3 of us certainly shared some special memories pre-show that day and the sound-check was awesome.

big thanks to Anthony Fros for the killer job on the poster. if you take a magnifying glass to the knobs on Patterson's guitar, you will see a nice little surprise.
big thanks to Cole for making everything go like clock-work. not only a great tour manager but a super guy to talk to and spend time with.
for the record, the 3dd community was incredible. it was great to share the night with old friends and while my time was kinda limited, i also was able to meet many great folks who travelled up from maryland, virginia, dc and other venues for the first time - too many to name here but this is a very special community. BIG THANKS to all of you for the wonderful cleanup job and respectful way everyone conducted themselves. when we went outside the next morning in the daylight, there wasn't one piece of garbage or broken bottle anywhere except for in the garbage cans. you guys are incredible.
and big thanks to all of you who helped in many big and small ways. (sorry clams i had to pass on a pretzel pre-dinner) (and penny lane, those last-minute amstel-nights were very much appreciated by the band).

we had so much fun that night and there were some incredible stories (some of which are not fit for posting) but Patterson, Brad, Jay & Cole were all incredibly wonderful and gracious. Besides for the kick-ass rock show that they put on starting at about 8:30, they were kind, friendly, down to earth and just easy to be with. I don't think any of them said no to any of our friends who wanted a picture, a signed poster, album or cd or perhaps just a hand-shake and a few moments of their time. These guys may be rock stars and musical hero's but they are also some genuinely nice guys.

anyway, i got some sleep last night for the first time in about 48 hours and just wanted to say thanks to all of you and glad to know everyone had such a good time. Saturday was certainly up there with the top highlights of my life. When you are lucky enough to entertain your friends with your favorite musicians in your own backyard on a night featuring perfect weather and everything goes off without a hitch, well, for this proud member of the 3dd community, it just doesn't get much better.

pictures to follow later when I have time to actually see them.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

A huge thank you to John and Jeff for the invite, planning and hospitality. I got to meet many wonderful folks for the first time and catch up with some more. Certainly, I didn't get to meet or chat with many, many people who I would have liked to. Me and the mrs did have an amazing time. The band was absolutely fabulous, the yard was amazing, and there were endless fine folks sharing the evening. It's too bad we couldn't have stuck around after, or came earlier, but such is the life of the parents of a nursing baby.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

headhunter wrote:big thanks to Anthony Fros for the killer job on the poster. if you take a magnifying glass to the knobs on Patterson's guitar, you will see a nice little surprise.

So what's the little surprise on the knobs?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

bovine knievel wrote:
headhunter wrote:big thanks to Anthony Fros for the killer job on the poster. if you take a magnifying glass to the knobs on Patterson's guitar, you will see a nice little surprise.

Three dimes
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

BigTom wrote:[

FAVE
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Jonicont wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

Three dimes

8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

The guys about a minute before hitting the stage, with the soon to be legendary box of pretzels. Sorry, I did not catch the name of the woman who crashed this photo, but I am sure someone out there knows her. (No that is not Bovine Knievel on the right, it is Brad.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I see UR is going with the Zappa look these days.
Like the new shirts and drum head.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

some photos from the night...though i mainly sat back and enjoyed the show, i find it now impossible to not bring my camera and take photos of musicians doing their thing, esp when i really like the music they play.

there's a few more here
http://www.zenfolio.com/narlus/p957742069/

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I had a great time as always. It was extra special in that a whole lot of people came out for this one.

Gary, one of my oldest friends and the newest member of my band came along. Other than the the album they did with Bettye Lavette, Gary was unfamiliar with DBT's body of work. He had such a great time hanging out with everyone here he was completely sold on the band and the fans before they played a single note. The guys I play with are always busting my chops about how many DBT shows I attend and sort of roll their eyes when I explain that it is as much the friends I've made with all of you as it is the band. After the party Gary said he had a great time hanging out with everyone and that he'd never seen a cooler group of people with any other band. He asked to borrow some DBT cd's. I predict more rock shows in Gary's future.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

tinnitus photography wrote:some photos from the night...though i mainly sat back and enjoyed the show, i find it now impossible to not bring my camera and take photos of musicians doing their thing, esp when i really like the music they play.

Superb as usual Tim. Thanks for taking the time out
Always go to the show

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Jonicont wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:some photos from the night...though i mainly sat back and enjoyed the show, i find it now impossible to not bring my camera and take photos of musicians doing their thing, esp when i really like the music they play.

Superb as usual Tim. Thanks for taking the time out

Well Tim, just as predicted you outdid me. Horrible lighting conditions, especially for Jay. Here are a few more of my better attempts. Image

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

LBRod wrote:I see UR is going with the Zappa look these days.

I don't know UR - just recognize him from pics posted here. I was thinking the exact same thing. :mrgreen:

Great pics Tinnitus. I especially liked this one.
http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/ ... #h6cd03a29
Remind me to join a band and get you to take some pro pics one day.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Excellent, tin(m). Especially EZB w/ his game face on.

Glad that you got that "gates open at 6" shot - i loved that sign.

Who's the babe w/ Patterson? ;)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

just the camera audio for now

Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Great video, John, thanks for posting!

What an amazing day. A huge thank you to Jonicont and Headhunter for making this happen, and to their respective families as well. Thanks also for giving me the chance to help host the 3DD pre-party and for asking UR and I to run the merch table. What an honor!

We really couldn't have asked for a better day in terms of weather. So thrilled there was no rain!

As far as the show goes, who could ask for more? Seeing 3 of my favorite musicians in my friend's backyard, it was incredible. They definitely seemed to be having fun and appeared quite relaxed. It must have been nice for them to know that all of us were truly fans and even those who didn't know them as well were eager to hear them. What a change, not having to worry if some idiot is going to talk over them all night or some drunk is going to shove his way up front. None of that happened, it was wonderful. I enjoyed hearing the new songs and look forward to hearing them again. I hope they surface at some point.

As always, it was a joy to spend the day with you fine folks. For those of you I missed seeing, I'm sorry, and hopefully we'll catch each other down the road at some point.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Setlist?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

tinnitus photography

thanks for the compliments on the photos, everyone. i was hoping that the band would have started a bit earlier so there was a touch more ambient light...the spot on Patterson lit his face up but if you exposed for that, everything else was super dark. so i had to wait until he moved backwards a bit. good times, my wife and i really enjoyed the road trip.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Really love these photos!
I keep hoping to one day "one up" ya, but I have a long way to go.
;)
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."