What's Everyone Drinking?

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: What's Everyone Drinking?

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:it's funny... the progression of really good beer over the last couple of decades is something like this:

Sam Adams/Sierra Nevada > Harpoon/Smuttynose/Rogue > Dogfish/Lagunitas > Trillium/Tree House/Grimm/etc
no East Coast bias in that list :lol:

i had west coast beers in each of the categories aside from the last one... if there's a West Coast brewery that's as good as trill/TH/grimm, clue me in! or better yet, send some. i've heard good things about monkish but you can't get that shit here. hell, i've never even had Bissell yet.

oh, i'll add Hill Farmstead to the list too. they are amazingly good.
Might have to set up a Toppling Goliath/Trillium trade, if you're game.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

tinnitus photography wrote:and InBev just bought Wicked Weed.

definitely some backlash going on in the community:
http://tenemu.com/news/breweries-pull-w ... se/05/2017
What I'm actually drinking is FW's Leo vs. Ursus--Fortem. But I wanted to comment on the WW sale. I'm oddly emotional about this one (insofar as one can get emotional about something like this, which is to say, modestly bummed out). I didn't care when AB InBev bought Breckenridge right in my backyard, because I haven't been willing to spend American currency on Breck beer since well before I turned 21. Nothing AB InBev has bought previously has had this kind of street cred.

Wicked Weed is different. I guess it's their reputation as sour masters and their penchant for experimentation; they're arguably my favorite brewery in America, as of a week ago. Certainly top five. It's also that my wife is from WNC, and Asheville has become a home away from home over the past few years. I could always look forward to a Mamacita's burrito and a pint (or snifter, I suppose) of WW beer. I have a few good friends from Asheville who know the WW owners, and by all accounts they're awesome dudes.

Wicked Weed just started distributing to Denver a few months ago, and I was looking forward to years and years of drinking their always-welcome additions to local bottle shop shelves. No more. Guess I'll have to make do with the eleventy hundred other great options we have here. I thought our local sour masters, Black Project Brewing, captured my feelings on the whole thing pretty well: http://www.blackprojectbeer.com/report/ ... cquisition

I'll still drink WW when I encounter them in festival atmospheres (ahem, GABF). But for the reasons James spells out in his thoughtful post, my days of spending money on their beer have come to an end. I've got half a sixer of Tropicmost Gose left in my fridge, and then that's it. After the scene dies. Que será, será. Et cetera.

Also, Fortem is damned tasty. Grab that one if you see it. Cheers.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:

What I'm actually drinking is FW's Leo vs. Ursus--Fortem. But I wanted to comment on the WW sale. I'm oddly emotional about this one (insofar as one can get emotional about something like this, which is to say, modestly bummed out). I didn't care when AB InBev bought Breckenridge right in my backyard, because I haven't been willing to spend American currency on Breck beer since well before I turned 21. Nothing AB InBev has bought previously has had this kind of street cred.

Wicked Weed is different. I guess it's their reputation as sour masters and their penchant for experimentation; they're arguably my favorite brewery in America, as of a week ago. Certainly top five. It's also that my wife is from WNC, and Asheville has become a home away from home over the past few years. I could always look forward to a Mamacita's burrito and a pint (or snifter, I suppose) of WW beer. I have a few good friends from Asheville who know the WW owners, and by all accounts they're awesome dudes.

Wicked Weed just started distributing to Denver a few months ago, and I was looking forward to years and years of drinking their always-welcome additions to local bottle shop shelves. No more. Guess I'll have to make do with the eleventy hundred other great options we have here. I thought our local sour masters, Black Project Brewing, captured my feelings on the whole thing pretty well: http://www.blackprojectbeer.com/report/ ... cquisition

I'll still drink WW when I encounter them in festival atmospheres (ahem, GABF). But for the reasons James spells out in his thoughtful post, my days of spending money on their beer have come to an end. I've got half a sixer of Tropicmost Gose left in my fridge, and then that's it. After the scene dies. Que será, será. Et cetera.

About to crash hard here- long day- so all I have time for right now is this: Mundane, where in WNC is your wife from? I'm from Asheville, though I've been in California for last 21 years. All of my immediate and extended family are all still there in Buncombe County. Out for now, can barely keep eyes open
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

tinnitus photography wrote:if there's a West Coast brewery that's as good as trill/TH/grimm, clue me in! or better yet, send some.
we don't get those beers here, so other than one Treehouse from a friend I have had none. I haven't been to RI in 7 years so last time I was there I didn't encounter any of those, alas........
no, i meant send some WC beers... Monkish is out there, right?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:

About to crash hard here- long day- so all I have time for right now is this: Mundane, where in WNC is your wife from? I'm from Asheville, though I've been in California for last 21 years. All of my immediate and extended family are all still there in Buncombe County. Out for now, can barely keep eyes open
She's from Franklin and went to Western. Beautiful part of the country, to be sure.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:if there's a West Coast brewery that's as good as trill/TH/grimm, clue me in! or better yet, send some.
we don't get those beers here, so other than one Treehouse from a friend I have had none. I haven't been to RI in 7 years so last time I was there I didn't encounter any of those, alas........
no, i meant send some WC beers... Monkish is out there, right?
It is in So Cal but I don't see it up here..... and that's a long way for me to drive to get it (8-9 hours at the least)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

What's going on around here? The drinking thread almost made it to the bottom of the page.

Brought home choice brews from Fieldwork Brewing. The Override! and Pulp are Northeast IPAs.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

A collab between 2 of Iowa's best breweries, Pulpit Rock (Decorah) and Alluvial (Ames).

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:What's going on around here? The drinking thread almost made it to the bottom of the page.

Brought home choice brews from Fieldwork Brewing. The Override! and Pulp are Northeast IPAs.
Berkeley or Sac Fieldwork?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^
Berkeley

There's one in Napa too.

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:^^^
Berkeley

There's one in Napa too.
I did not know that

What took you to Berkeley?

I plan on hitting Freewheel Brewing in Redwood City tomorrow

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Had a few El Sully's out on the water.

whatwouldcooleydo?

awesome, tart as fuck, just how I like it!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Summertime is fast approaching, so I figured it was time to load up on a case of this.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Covfefe, it's gonna be great.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

Just about to dive into a glass of Terrapin Sound Czech, a bowl of White Lotus, and a plate of baby backs.
Now it's dark.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Every year a good friend of mine visits her family's camp on Lake Winnapesuaki, Wi. She always brings me some regional brew you can't get back east. Nailed it this year.

Beebs is not a ragey man

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A couple of nips of bourbon from the flask while walking the dog
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

lots of these...
Mmmmm michelada!!
Last edited by bovine knievel on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

these beauties from New Glory

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

George A, single barrel
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:Every year a good friend of mine visits her family's camp on Lake Winnapesuaki, Wi. She always brings me some regional brew you can't get back east. Nailed it this year.

That's a beer I really wished I like but for me it's one toke over the line sweet Jesus, in the hops department. Surly has some others I like though, the Xtra-Citra is really good. Hoppy, but not crazy hoppy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beebs wrote:Every year a good friend of mine visits her family's camp on Lake Winnapesuaki, Wi. She always brings me some regional brew you can't get back east. Nailed it this year.

That's a beer I really wished I like but for me it's one toke over the line sweet Jesus, in the hops department. Surly has some others I like though, the Xtra-Citra is really good. Hoppy, but not crazy hoppy.
Try Todd the Axe Man from them if you get a chance. It's hoppy, but has almost no bitterness. I'm always curious to see how people who get turned off by hop bitterness react to hop flavors when they aren't accompanied by that.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Working on an assorted 12 pack from Tallgrass Brewing Company- Manhattan, Kansas

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Lost 40 Look See
Lost 40 is a Little Rock brewery

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:Working on an assorted 12 pack from Tallgrass Brewing Company- Manhattan, Kansas
Tallgrass is awesome. 8 Bit is good stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

on tap

also Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet and Audition DIPA, on tap (no images)