LJ

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: LJ

Post by Zip City »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Zip City wrote:Funny thing is, there is only one person who has ever made me want to quit this board, and it wasn't LJ

please tell us who offended you so :roll:

Don't worry, it wasn't you sunshine
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but why is it that the folks who use the constitution as their excuse for their right wing views dismiss all the evidence that the framers of the constitution were extremely liberal in their views?

what's it got to do with y'all butthurt types being so offended by little 'ol LJ?

DIsagreeing with LJ is being butthurt?

It almost feels like you're vying for the mantle....

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Zip City wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Zip City wrote:Funny thing is, there is only one person who has ever made me want to quit this board, and it wasn't LJ

please tell us who offended you so :roll:

you're way more of a dick than LJ. you lived to fuck with him. get over yourself kid

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:please tell us who offended you so :roll:

you're way more of a dick than LJ. you lived to fuck with him. get over yourself kid

I've seen Zip be a dick to LJ, but come on. LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Don't worry, it wasn't you sunshine[/quote]
you're way more of a dick than LJ. you lived to fuck with him. get over yourself kid[/quote]

I've seen Zip be a dick to LJ, but come on. LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.[/quote]
it's JUST the internet. y'all are too sensitive

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:it's JUST the internet. y'all are too sensitive

just our butts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:Don't worry, it wasn't you sunshine

you're way more of a dick than LJ. you lived to fuck with him. get over yourself kid[/quote]

I've seen Zip be a dick to LJ, but come on. LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.[/quote]
it's JUST the internet. y'all are too sensitive[/quote]

You come off very sensitive about how LJ was treated.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Iowan wrote:

You come off very sensitive about how LJ was treated.[/quote]
this is so unimportant. but y'all feel victoious for banning a guy.pathetic

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

you have a lot to say about something so unimportant

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I've seen Zip be a dick to LJ, but come on. LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.

You come off very sensitive about how LJ was treated.[/quote]
this is so unimportant. but y'all feel victoious for banning a guy.pathetic[/quote]

If you read back through the thread, you'll see that while I don't agree in principle with the banning the guy, I just have absolutely no sympathy for him.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

oilpiers wrote:Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but why is it that the folks who use the constitution as their excuse for their right wing views dismiss all the evidence that the framers of the constitution were extremely liberal in their views?

You know, I might just go over to the politics thread--which I have been avoiding--and argue that point with you.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:Fair point and true, but it is also true that what was liberal then and what is labled is liberal now are often two pretty different things.

Very much so. One of the reasons the term neoliberalism bothers people (especially modern liberals) is that it uses liberal in the classical sense to point up how modern culturally-based liberalism is so compatible with classical economically-based liberalism, which is better known today as conservatism.

I think I just had my argument with oilpiers. I hope it was good for you, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I think we need to a 3 strikes and you're out policy for people who can't quote properly. It offends my senses way more than Hitler references.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

[quote="Penny Lane"]I think we need to a 3 strikes and you're out policy for people who can't quote properly. It offends my senses way more than Hitler references.[quote]

I agree. 8-) ;)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:this is so unimportant. but y'all feel victoious for banning a guy.pathetic

Noone feels "victorious", in fact it's a shame it needed to be done. However, I am excited at the prospect of intelligent discussions being had in the politics thread without LJ's childish shit interrupting every other post.

I've crossed the line a couple times myself and guess what? I didn't do that shit anymore. Even if I didn't agree with what the mod's reprimanded me about, I got respect for them for keeping this board running smoothly and honored their requests. LJ didn't, he knew better and had chances time and time again. Let it rest.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This isn't a criticism but the Admin of most message boards (at least the ones I've frequented over the years) don't share info with board members either publicly or privately regarding the banning of members (or other personal matters). I imagine the reasons behind that would be to avoid further conflict/controversy/disruption on the board. In other words, it's very rare that something like this is made public and open to discussion to other board members, at least as far as my experience with message boards is concerned.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: In other words, it's very rare that something like this is made public and open to discussion to other board members, at least as far as my experience with message boards is concerned.

I appreciate the honesty. Open discussion is a good thing.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Fair point and true, but it is also true that what was liberal then and what is labled is liberal now are often two pretty different things.

Very much so. One of the reasons the term neoliberalism bothers people (especially modern liberals) is that it uses liberal in the classical sense to point up how modern culturally-based liberalism is so compatible with classical economically-based liberalism, which is better known today as conservatism.

I think I just had my argument with oilpiers. I hope it was good for you, too.

Liberal and conservative are terms that are very much up to interpretation. I view liberal as first and for most, tolerance. I find the current climate of liberals to be more accepting of things that are different and could possibly have an effect to them that is not 100% in their own best interest.(Yet clearly for the betterment of society as a whole). I see modern conservatism as intolerance to anything that makes them think they may lose anything personal at the benefit of others. My interpretation of liberal looks to me what the framers of the constitution had in mind (and maybe the Bible?). Maybe I am just being grandiose. The economic discussion between these two bumper sticker words is another issue.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This isn't a criticism but the Admin of most message boards (at least the ones I've frequented over the years) don't share info with board members either publicly or privately regarding the banning of members (or other personal matters). I imagine the reasons behind that would be to avoid further conflict/controversy/disruption on the board. In other words, it's very rare that something like this is made public and open to discussion to other board members, at least as far as my experience with message boards is concerned.

I've been thinking about this too. To be honest I don't need to know when someone has been banned, I just assume that they've drifted off and found something better to do with their lives.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dogstar wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:This isn't a criticism but the Admin of most message boards (at least the ones I've frequented over the years) don't share info with board members either publicly or privately regarding the banning of members (or other personal matters). I imagine the reasons behind that would be to avoid further conflict/controversy/disruption on the board. In other words, it's very rare that something like this is made public and open to discussion to other board members, at least as far as my experience with message boards is concerned.

I've been thinking about this too. To be honest I don't need to know when someone has been banned, I just assume that they've drifted off and found something better to do with their lives.

Yeah, not a regular thing but considering that he had been here for many years I thought a word of explanation was warranted. Don't expect it in the future.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote: LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.

See that's the problem. LJ didn't live to fuck with people - he wasn't smart enough for that. He is basically just a dude with ignorant ideas who wasn't smart enough to express himself and debate the finer points of what he believed in. So when you guys rightfully used logic and facts to put him in a corner, all he could do was lash out. But the hypocrisy of it is that a lot of you guys who agree with LJ's banning were guilty of the same type of name calling and lashing out against him. See page 4 of the Boston thread for proof, and there were many more over the years. And speaking of the Boston thread, I'd also like to add that the posts that LJ was villified for (him basically wishing that the bombers had both been killed to save us the tax money of trying and imprisoning them) is actually a viewpoint shared by millions of Americans. And whether you agree with that viewpoint or not, it should be welcomed here and debated - not squashed and banned.

And forgive me for this but I need to say it. Zip, your glee over LJ getting banned is coming through loud and clear and I think it's in pretty poor taste. Like you're the winner or something.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:And forgive me for this but I need to say it. Zip, your glee over LJ getting banned is coming through loud and clear and I think it's in pretty poor taste. Like you're the winner or something.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

C'mon, Clams! Taking the high road is one thing but really? Cortez calling him an "ignoramus" is all you got? I'm sure you are aware of the things LJ said to Cortez over the years.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

really 3 pages for this???? you know there is the Oprah Station on cable now!!! GEsssh

...this thread is reading like who was on the wrong side of the school yard.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

lynne

Post by lynne »

I am not going to say I am sad that LJ was banned but my reasons may be a little different than everyone elses. I first saw the Truckers in January of 2011 and I will always be thankful to Guinness for that but, looking back, one of my favorite experiences arose from the Montclair show in 2011. This was the first show that I attended by myself and the circumstances surrounding it were a little sad. This was the show that I met Penny Lane, Scratch and Sterling Big Mouth. I had met Clams at a prior show in Philly. Even at the pre-game I felt comfortable. Point to this little story, I have met some fantastic people through this band and this board. People who are there for you anytime and truly care about each other, not fake friendships. Even though some of us dont get to see each other a lot, the warmth and caring is always there. I hated the anger and disrespect that became a byproduct of LJ's posts. It felt like the caring that underlies this board and its members was being destroyed. Instead of being a happy place to come to, it just became another source of conflict and upset.

It wouldnt be fair of me to say that the blame could be placed entirely on LJ but those he had conflict with hadn't, as far as I know, displayed any behavior like that prior. Additionally, he was warned repeatedly. Debate and discussion is always a good thing but not when it crosses the lines of civility.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote: LJ lived to fuck with this entire board.

LJ didn't live to fuck with people - he wasn't smart enough for that. He is basically just a dude with ignorant ideas who wasn't smart enough to express himself and debate the finer points of what he believed in. So when you guys rightfully used logic and facts to put him in a corner, all he could do was lash out.

So, basically you are also calling him an ignoramus.

There's a lot of built up history & context that is being glossed over by folks who are questioning the decision to ban LJ. This had nothing to do with his political views. It had everything to do with his repeated refusal to treat anyone who disagreed or questioned him and his beliefs with even an iota of respect or common decency. Any backlash he took in the Boston thread or any other thread is the cumulative result of years of boorish behavior with little or no consequence. If you have been paying any attention to the manner with which he has conducted himself on this board (over a period of several years), I can't begin to understand how or why you would begin to defend him or his behavior. He was warned on multiple occasion and he flat-out ignored those repeated warnings. It's pretty cut & dried to me.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The fact that we're still talking about him days after he's gone shows he was a master at his craft

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I was under the impression we were discussing the decision to ban him.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:The fact that we're still talking about him days after he's gone shows he was a master at his craft

Naw, just a jackass. Here's a useful rule if you don't follow it blindly: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." Or by being a jackass.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Zip City wrote:The fact that we're still talking about him days after he's gone shows he was a master at his craft

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Keep calm and have a cigar