Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

Post by Zip City »

This Russian uncle clearly thinks this is all about him right now. Dude is putting on a show
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:This Russian uncle clearly thinks this is all about him right now. Dude is putting on a show

He's obviously very angry. He sounds genuine and who can blame him?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:This Russian uncle clearly thinks this is all about him right now. Dude is putting on a show

How would you react?

Leaving aside potential issues of guilt/shame by association which he may or may not feel, he's probably thinking that his life as he knew it is over: Shunning, minor vandalism, who knows in this day and age maybe a fire bombing of his house, the very strong possibility that he will have to move and start over yet again...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:

How would you react?

Leaving aside potential issues of guilt/shame by association which he may or may not feel, he's probably thinking that his life as he knew it is over: Shunning, minor vandalism, who knows in this day and age maybe a fire bombing of his house, the very strong possibility that he will have to move and start over yet again...

I think its a cultural thing. I didn't expect a different reaction. I feel sorry for the guy.....guilt by association is a bitch

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:

How would you react?

Absolutely. I can't imagine being in this guy's shoes. Not to mention the throngs of media showing up on his doorstep looking for reasons and answers about a pair of nephews he claims to haven't had contact with since '05 or '06. I feel for the guy.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Beebs wrote:Why does it seem to be OK to circulate the picture of the guy with both legs blown off? I understand that along with the carnage it also shows some awesome good samaritan-ing, but I'd put it about on par with video of 9/11 jumpers. Not cool.

Because people are assholes

Because pictures are worth a 1000 words and it conveys the tragedy and violence of the event in a way that words cannot. Plus I think for the most part the version that made it into the papers and websites was cropped so as not to show below the guy's knees (at least that's how it was shown here on the front page of the Phila Inquirer).
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I haven't seen the photo in question, but I think the circulation stems from the same morbid curiosity that saw the Louisville leg break photo get posted everywhere

Also, people are assholes

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Beebs wrote:Why does it seem to be OK to circulate the picture of the guy with both legs blown off? I understand that along with the carnage it also shows some awesome good samaritan-ing, but I'd put it about on par with video of 9/11 jumpers. Not cool.

Because pictures are worth a 1000 words and it conveys the tragedy and violence of the event in a way that words cannot. Plus I think for the most part the version that made it into the papers and websites was cropped so as not to show below the guy's knees (at least that's how it was shown here on the front page of the Phila Inquirer).

On the flipside one of the newspapers was criticized for showing a picture of the scene, including a woman with horrible leg injuries, but they photoshopped pants on her to disguise the severity of her injuries. I don't know that I have an opinion, I think unretouched photos are more honest than edited ones regardless of the gore factor, but then again I have no interest in seeing horrific injuries in the paper or on the net. There aren't any correct answers here. It was a tragedy. Everything associated with it is tragic by default.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I agree. I hate it.

The stuff that becomes entertainment is so disrespectful.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I guess I'm fortunate as I've yet to see any graphic photos from the bombings. Strange, considering most of our news organizations have become increasingly sanitized in regards to what we see on television as far as war coverage. I grew up during a period when it wasn't unusual to see graphic footage from Vietnam on the evening news but as best as I can recall, it was always prefaced by a disclaimer. Nowadays, I'm guessing some outlets are resorting to it because of ratings and/or sensationalism. Sort of like some of the less reputable news channels that open their broadcasts with a car chase. I understand that it's important to know just how horrific Monday's bombings were but I would prefer not to see the graphic images. That's just personal preference, not an attempt on my part to pretend it didn't happen. Last night, I got caught up in WCBV's live online coverage of what was happening in Watertown and thought they did a remarkable job of refraining from speculation or engaging in sensationalism. To that end, I never even heard them mention a possible tie to the bombings until several hours into their coverage and even then, it wasn't until it was hinted at by local authorities in an official capacity. Shortly thereafter, it was confirmed. It's a hard way to do so but I believe some of these news outlets have learned some valuable lessons this past week when it comes to jumping the gun in an attempt to be the first with a story.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Okay I just saw the uncropped photo of the poor guy right there on my FB feed and yeah, that's not cool at all. It shouldn't be out there like that for all to see.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

How can this 19 yo be trapped within a 20 block radius for 12 hours with a 1,000 cops lookin' for him & still elude capture? I've got mixed feelings about what to do when they find him. I hear the calls to take him alive (to try & wean info out of him); but the larger part of me hopes they blow his ass away.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Clams

Post by Clams »

This kid has disappeared like a fart in the wind. Unbelievable.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

He's probably laying dead someplace, I bet he was shot up this morning and couldn't go to the hospital or any place to get help, but he ran off and died. Atleast that's what I'm hoping, we don't need to keep this fool alive in prison wasting tax payers dollars.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

They have him pinned down

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Wow. New low for NPR. Painful to listen to.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Beebs wrote:Wow. New low for NPR. Painful to listen to.

Try WCVB.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

In custody. It's over.

Ok Bostonians exhale, hug your kids and maybe have an adult beverage.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Too bad they took him alive

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

LuthierJustin wrote:Too bad they took him alive

Get out of this thread, ignoramus.
- DPM

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Yea that's right. Too bad that the families of the dead might get some answers as to why their loved ones were blown up.

You should be aborted.
Beebs is not a ragey man

cortez the killer

Just tweeted by the Boston Police Dept.:
In our time of rejoicing, let us not forget the families of Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu, Krystle Campbell and Officer Joe Collier.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

boom. fucking a. crazy amazing job by the po po.

wow.

usa, usa, usa!
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Probably more fitting for the WTF thread but I think this one needs some levity.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

cortez the killer wrote:

Fuck off, tax money is being used to keep this piece of shit alive, YOU should offer to pay his medical bills and for his defense you love him so much.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Probably more fitting for the WTF thread but I think this one needs some levity.

I never trusted her

cortez the killer

LuthierJustin wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Fuck off, tax money is being used to keep this piece of shit alive, YOU should offer to pay his medical bills and for his defense you love him so much.

Quoted for preservation.
- DPM

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Go on then, pay for it out of your own pocket, you won't do it hypocrite