Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LuthierJustin

Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

Post by LuthierJustin »

At least 2 dead according to CNN, They are now saying it WAS bombs and not an accident
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

lynne

Post by lynne »

WTF is this world coming too? I texted the Black Canary but have not heard back yet. I hope with all my heart she is okay!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

two undetonated devices found. fuck. this is so awful.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Huge relief. Emmi is safe and ok.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Third bomb went off at the JFK library

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Checking in. Thanks to all who asked after me and mine. We're all good. I was well out of harm's way, my younger son was watching the marathon about 2 miles or so from the bomb site(s) and my wife was working downtown (about a mile in the opposite direction) so nobody in immediate danger and both home now, and thanks for that! A cousin was working as a volunteer about a block away and she's ok, too :)

As crazy and chaotic as you might imagine around here. Lots of problems w/ cell phone networks as everyone checks on everyone else. From what i can tell mostly watching CNN, TV is trying reasonably hard to stay factual and to stay away from rumor and speculation, but they just can't help it. Have heard some wild stuff already. It will probably be a while before the facts are known.

Prayers for the families of the dead and the injured and their loved ones as well.

Nothing original to say here: It's horrible, scary and totally outrageous whatever the cause.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Glad you and yours are ok Bubba.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Horrible news. A relief to hear you and your family are alright BTB.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjYBalO

Boston police are categorically denying this. NY Post stands by it's reporting.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Terrible. Prayers for the families of those killed and wounded. So sad.

Bubba, you're the only person that I know in that area so immediately thought of you. Thankful to find out that you and your family are all ok.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Update: One of the people killed was 8 years old. This just keeps getting sadder.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjYBalO

Boston police are categorically denying this. NY Post stands by it's reporting.

I've been following the reddit news feed. someone has said that the NY Post are "flat-out making shit up"

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... _thread_2/
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Very glad to hear you & your family are o.k., bubba. My thoughts are with you & everyone in Boston tonight
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Comedian wisdom. Go Patton Oswalt!

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem -- one human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in a while, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evildoers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Did they or did they not find 2 unexploded bombs? This was being reported as FACT Monday nite on multiple outlets but this morning I've seen a couple of references to a change on this to the 2 exploded bombs being the "only" ones. Anyone know what's what?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Did they or did they not find 2 unexploded bombs? This was being reported as FACT Monday nite on multiple outlets but this morning I've seen a couple of references to a change on this to the 2 exploded bombs being the "only" ones. Anyone know what's what?

The latest I've heard is that there were no additional bombs but I have no way of knowing what is fact or fiction at this point. At this stage of the game things can still change. Apologies for the non-answer but that just seems to be the nature of events (horrific and otherwise) like this.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

as predicted, Facebook is a total cesspool in relation to these events. Lies, conspiracy theories, more lies, etc.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:as predicted, Facebook is a total cesspool in relation to these events. Lies, conspiracy theories, more lies, etc.

Have you seen this?

http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:as predicted, Facebook is a total cesspool in relation to these events. Lies, conspiracy theories, more lies, etc.

Not mine. My page has been pretty tame given all that's gone down.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Leave it to Iowa's biggest asshole, Steve King, to start using this event to further his personal political agenda.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/ ... eform.html

Kudzu Guillotine

Aside from the unspeakable tragedy of yesterday's bombing I've found it increasing frustrating that so much misinformation gets treated as fact, oftentimes by otherwise intelligent people. God forbid you should try to point this out to people as no matter how polite you may be in doing so, too often it results in a shitstorm. That is why I usually leave it alone. However, in this case, I felt it necessary to mention that the photo of an 8 year girl running a marathon is not a casualty of yesterday's bombing. I know I have fallen for such hoaxes myself before but are people really so self-centered as to totally lose their shit when you try to prevent them from spreading false information? Better to bite your tongue. Then, there are those that believe sites like Snopes are an arm of the vast left wing conspiracy so they won't believe anything that's posted there.

Boston Marathon Bombing

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

beantownbubba wrote:Did they or did they not find 2 unexploded bombs? This was being reported as FACT Monday nite on multiple outlets but this morning I've seen a couple of references to a change on this to the 2 exploded bombs being the "only" ones. Anyone know what's what?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17767721-investigators-believe-boston-bombs-were-pressure-cookers-hidden-in-backpacks-officials-say?lite

Authorities confirmed at a mid-morning news conference that only two bombs went off Monday. Contradicting reports from the chaotic early hours after the blasts, they said that no unexploded devices were found.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My take is that "w/holding judgment until the facts are known" is perceived by a substantial portion of the population as "PC speak" for "let's not blame the people we all know are responsible until we absolutely have to and only if we've exhausted all other avenues." I AM NOT SAYING THAT'S RIGHT, OBVIOUSLY IT ISN'T. I'm just saying that it provides "permission" to let fly w/ all manner of suspicions, rumors, libels & slanders, political maneuvering, outright lies and other agenda furthering while appearing (to themselves at least) to be furthering the anti PC, pro "truth" cause. Just another symptom of the times, I'm afraid. :(

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks for the responses to my question, folks. I appreciate it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Multiple sources are reporting that the Saudi man who was questioned is a witness and not a suspect in the attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... n-attacks/

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Iowan wrote:Leave it to Iowa's biggest asshole, Steve King, to start using this event to further his personal political agenda.

Kinda like this asshole
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/axelrod-obama-thinks-boston-bombings-could-be-related-tax-day_717924.html
Oh and all the assholes in the media saying it was a right wing extremist :roll:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LuthierJustin wrote:
Iowan wrote:Leave it to Iowa's biggest asshole, Steve King, to start using this event to further his personal political agenda.

Kinda like this asshole
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/axelrod-obama-thinks-boston-bombings-could-be-related-tax-day_717924.html
Oh and all the assholes in the media saying it was a right wing extremist :roll:

Axelrod was pretty non specific there and word terrorist should be used judiciously, particularly by a sitting President. As for your other point, anyone one speculating on this being a foreign national, right wing terrorist or left wing terrorist is being irresponsible. On that I have no disagreement with you whatsoever.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Yeah sure, I believe that