NFL 2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

NFL 2016

Post by Gang Green »

When is the official beginning of the NFL 2013 thread. 2012 was one of worst football seasons ever. It's time to move on. Though 2013 isn't looking much better for Gang Green.

bovine knievel

Re: NFL 2013

Post by bovine knievel »

couldn't resist, GG. A highlight of the 2012 season for sure.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bovine! That just wasn't very nice! :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bovine! That just wasn't very nice! :lol:

But funny!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm not sure what the Bears are doing. Just as you thought they had put themselves in a position to draft "best available" in the 1st round they missed out on signing guard Lance Louis, the only good offensive lineman from last year's group. Now you figure they have no choice but to draft a guard with the 20th pick. They have to hope now that Chance Garmack or Jonathan Cooper fall that far or, basically, they're screwed. On one hand they make big moves that indicate that they're tying to win this year and then they let key players like Nick Roach (LB) and Louis go to other teams in free agency. Meanwhile they still haven't cut Devin Hester who would free up almost $3 million in cap space. The way the roster looks now you'd have to pick them for last in their division as Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota keep getting better. WTF?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

tc, pay attention to lsu middle linebacker kevin minter. would love to see him go to the bears.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Think the North comes down to Green Bay and the Vikes again.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the QB situation. Ponder put together some really nice late season performances, and I actually missed him in the playoff game at Green Bay. Now that he is a legitimate outside receiving threat, I think (hope) he can make the next step. The Cassel signing is an interesting. If it does nothing other than push Ponder to improve, it will be worth it.

Love the trade for Harvin. Dude is talented as hell, but pretty much worthless when he decides what games he wants to play, and just sits on the bench when he isn't feeling up to it. I'm really hoping they use the second of the two first round picks on Tavon Austin out of WVU. He's going to be great in the slot/WR/RB hybrid position. One of the most impressive football players I've ever got to watch in person (RGIII would probably top the list).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
tc, pay attention to lsu middle linebacker kevin minter. would love to see him go to the bears.

They like Minter. I thought that would have been a great pick but now they desparately need a guard. I don't think they can draft a LB now.

Iowan, your boys still don't have a QB so don't get too puffy chested. I dont see Ponder getting much better, Cassel is worse.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:Image

They like Minter. I thought that would have been a great pick but now they desparately need a guard. I don't think they can draft a LB now.

Iowan, your boys still don't have a QB so don't get too puffy chested. I dont see Ponder getting much better, Cassel is worse.

I want to see what Ponder can do with a legitimate starting WR before I write him off.

He's a long, long ways off the talent that came out of the 2012 draft, but he's shown enough not to give up on him either.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A legitimate wideout? Wait, didn't you just trade one of the best in the game ( a great trade for your guys btw, Harvin is anelite WR but Seattle overpaid)?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:A legitimate wideout? Wait, didn't you just trade one of the best in the game ( a great trade for your guys btw, Harvin is anelite WR but Seattle overpaid)?

They barely ever played together. When they did (early in the season), Ponder had some of his better games. He started the year decent, was god-awful during the middle of the season, and went back to decent at the end.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

No way Bears finish last.

They needed to draft an OL and a LB before Roach and Louis left, so nothing has changed for draft day.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:No way Bears finish last.

They needed to draft an OL and a LB before Roach and Louis left, so nothing has changed for draft day.

I don't think they can draft a LB now, not in the 1st round. They need a starting guard which they didn't before. Plus they signed two linebackers and no guards. I was ok with losing Roach. I think letting Louis go was a mistake. I haven't given up on Carimi but he's too big for a guard. I don't know, I trust Emery to a degree but I just think they need too much right now, but hell what do I know? I'm also disturbed by the talk that a lot of NFL insiders supposedly are privately saying that Trestman is in over his head. I have Bears angst. What else is new?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Bears were always going to need an OL in the first round.

Losing Louis wasn't good, but I don't think it changes the plan. Frankly, the Bears can't accumulate enough OL right now

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bears sign Matt Slauson. One year deal, but arguably an upgrade over Louis

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Bears sign Matt Slauson. One year deal, but arguably an upgrade over Louis

At least an even swap. I think this allows them to take best available again with the 20th pick. I was just worried that some team above them would hold them hostage for Cooper or Warmack. The way it sat before Slauson that was more than possible. At this point if they can get a linebacker or maybe even Fluker at tackle I'd be happy. I know most think they're set at right tackle with Webb, Carimi and Jonathan Scott but if Fluker is there I'd take him anyway.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, I suppose I'd rather pay Verlander than Romo. :shock:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flynn to Oakland, Palmer to Arizona

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:Flynn to Oakland, Palmer to Arizona

I'll take it! For the shear potential factor.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bear's chairman George McCaskey came out yesterday and said that he was heartbroken over the loss of future HoF middle linebacker Brian Urlacher but admitted that it was a football decision and he does not get involved in those, which of course is as it should be. That hasn't stopped Bears fans from attacking the guy on all fronts. They're calling him cheap and disingenuous among other things and are suggesting that they should have just given Urlacher the $11 million over two years he was asking for, never mind that no other team in the league has signed him for even the $2 million one year deal they offered. Why are Chicago sports fans so damned stupid? The guy does not play at a HoF level anymore and probably doesn't even play at an NFL level. It was time to go and the fact that no one else has signed underscores that and yet, once again to the average fan the Bears are cheap and ownership is to blame. Do they not understand the salary cap? Do they not see all the needs on the team? Makes me crazy. Are other city's fandoms this dumb or is just Chicago fans because somehow I can't see New England fans, or Giants fans or other successful teams fans behaving this way.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Are other city's fandoms this dumb or is just Chicago fans because somehow I can't see New England fans, or Giants fans or other successful teams fans behaving this way.

:lol:

I'll tell you one thing. I find New England sports radio utterly and completely un-listenable if that is any guide TC. There is nothing like Boers and Bernsie here. Just monumentally idiotic drivel. And, don't think that the meatballs who call in to The Score are a unique species... we have THE pluperfect northern mutants in this market.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Remember Joan Payson, the late lamented owner of the NY Mets, bringing Willie Mays back to NY when he could barely run? That used to be the mentality in sports. Apparently it still is in Chicago. Yes, it is an impediment to winning but it's not all bad either and the alternative is not all good (see, eg Welker, Wes or all the folks ready to jettison Brady 'cause he hasn't won a Super Bowl in a few years).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Remember Joan Payson, the late lamented owner of the NY Mets, bringing Willie Mays back to NY when he could barely run? That used to be the mentality in sports. Apparently it still is in Chicago. Yes, it is an impediment to winning but it's not all bad either and the alternative is not all good (see, eg Welker, Wes or all the folks ready to jettison Brady 'cause he hasn't won a Super Bowl in a few years).

Yeah, but those things are sad. There is nothing worse than seeing a great player look nothing like what he used to look like. I guess in this case the Bears were willing to give him a shot at $2 million per but he felt insulted. While I can understand that minimum olive branch they have a business to run and if they want to win they can't overpay at a position without a reasonable expectation of performance. Frankly I admired the Welker decision by your team. They got a younger player who will probably perform at at least 60% of Welker's stats and I seriously doubt Welker will match that in Denver. In the meantime the money can spent in other places, and it's worked pretty well for them before. In Chicago the situation is dire. They had to spend money on offense to properly evaluate Jay Cutler who is a free agent after this year. By retooling his O line and giving him a pass catching tight end they are putting the onus on him to perform before they have to sign him to a contract that looks like it will have to be north of $18 million/year based on recent signings. Fans have to look at their teams as businesses and pay attention to how moves all affect each other. In hindsight the signing last year of running back Matt Forte looks horrible. Running backs are a dime a dozen and he cost them a hell of a lot of dimes but the fans were 100% behind his signing as were all of the talking heads on Fox, CBS and NBC. They were bullied into overpaying. This time they did the right thing and besides that the owner stayed out of the process. That's a win win IMHO. I have my doubts over whether the Bears are going to be any good but I do like the process they're following. I'm just tired of sports stupid I guess.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Welker decision may have been the right business decision. Most of the talking heads seem to think so and the rest of us will find out in a few months. My point was simply that if you want your team to be a business those are the decisions you get, for better or worse and they're not always for better even when they're "right".

OTOH, if you're right, TC, I don't see how paying more money for 40% less production is a good business decision.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:The Welker decision may have been the right business decision. Most of the talking heads seem to think so and the rest of us will find out in a few months. My point was simply that if you want your team to be a business those are the decisions you get, for better or worse and they're not always for better even when they're "right".

OTOH, if you're right, TC, I don't see how paying more money for 40% less production is a good business decision.

Right but you're not paying for past performance. I think that's a paradigm shift in pro sports that has gradually taken place over the last few years. You have to figure that even Welker could have only have achieved 80% at best of what he's done the last few years and your team has always been one of interchangeable parts. it just seems to be how sports works now so I try to understand and keep up.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The Welker decision may have been the right business decision. Most of the talking heads seem to think so and the rest of us will find out in a few months. My point was simply that if you want your team to be a business those are the decisions you get, for better or worse and they're not always for better even when they're "right".

Right but you're not paying for past performance. I think that's a paradigm shift in pro sports that has gradually taken place over the last few years. You have to figure that even Welker could have only have achieved 80% at best of what he's done the last few years and your team has always been one of interchangeable parts. it just seems to be how sports works now so I try to understand and keep up.

You lost me. I thought you said that the Pats would be getting 60% of Welker's typical performance this year (i.e. 2013 season). You also said Welker was unlikely to do better this year than 80% of his previous production. I think 80% is still better than 60% but perhaps I'm just not keeping up. Plus they're paying Amendola more than Welker took from Denver. So if I've got the math right, they're paying MORE money for LESS production THIS year. And I know they're not making it up in volume since Amendola never plays a full season while Welker doesn't get hurt a lot and when he does he comes back from ACL surgery in like a day and a half.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok, I thought Denver guaranteed Welker more than NE guaranteed Amendola am I wrong? If I am then, yes it makes a lot less sense.

edit:

So I looked this up. Amendola, although signed for five years $31 mil was only guaranteed $9 million. Welker got 2 years at $12 million from Denver but was guaranteed $7 mil. NE allegedly offered him 2 years at $10 mil with $6 mil guaranteed. So for $3 million more guaranteed they got the possibility of a younger player signed for five years at probably below market value for years 3-5. Welker left his comfort zone for $1 million but was obviously offended. This shit will make your head hurt.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tavon Austin, baby!

I don't think he'll be available at that point, though. Kevin Seiffert thinks it will be Sylvester Williams and DJ Hayden for the Vikes' first round picks. I would like to see them pick up AJ Klein in the 2nd or 3rd round though. Basically a Greenway clone (and as he's an ISU alum, pun intended).

I can't remember a draft so low on star power, ever.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:Tavon Austin, baby!

Most mock drafts have him going to the Jets which makes almost zero sense. How are they going to use him? Who's going to throw him the ball? Wacky. I'm really curious who takes Geno Smith. Some mock drafts have him going as high as 6 to Cleveland and others have him falling to the second round. What makes that interesting is the trade possibilities it presents. I wouldn't touch Smith or Barclay in the 1st round.