NFL 2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2015

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Greg Hardy signing irks Dallas mayor

Kind of hard to disagree with him.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

R.I.P. Concrete Charlie
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I have been very happy with the Bears moves this offseason, until today. How can they possibly justify signing Ray McDonald? Not ok at all.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I have been very happy with the Bears moves this offseason, until today. How can they possibly justify signing Ray McDonald? Not ok at all.
They are trying to make their defense better. They must think the upgrade in talent will offset the negative PR.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I have been very happy with the Bears moves this offseason, until today. How can they possibly justify signing Ray McDonald? Not ok at all.
They are trying to make their defense better. They must think the upgrade in talent will offset the negative PR.
I'd get it if this was a team a player or two away. I mean I don't like rapists on my favorite team regardless but if they were close I'd understand it but this is a team in rebuild, or at least that's what everyone assumed until this latest flurry of one year deals for veterans. Now it seems like they think they can compete in 2015 which seems highly unlikely. Most fans and media assumed it would take three drafts to even begin to compete. I guess we'll all see but now we have a dirtbag on the roster.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Not to defend the guy, but he's still (at this point) an alleged criminal, not convicted.

That said, straight-laced guys generally don't have even an "alleged" assault hanging over them
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Not to defend the guy, but he's still (at this point) an alleged criminal, not convicted.

That said, straight-laced guys generally don't have even an "alleged" assault hanging over them
I know but it's disappointing. They got rid of Brandon Marshall for next to nothing because he was a bad character guy and I agreed with that but then get this guy? For what a season where they'll be lucky to win 6 or 7 games? I mean this was 1 5-11 football team and they're putting in a new offense AND a new defense. Just odd.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

An interesting article about Belichick's relationship w/ the NFL that seems to get it pretty much right:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2410 ... d-patriots

And a bit of fluff that makes me smile for reasons I can't really identify:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2412 ... d-patriots
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The Falcons have won a grand total of 6 home games over the past two years. We can't even get pumping artificial noise into the stadium right. Unlike some teams who have perfected the art of pumping hot air out of the balls and into the stadium. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:The Falcons have won a grand total of 6 home games over the past two years. We can't even get pumping artificial noise into the stadium right. Unlike some teams who have perfected the art of pumping hot air out of the balls and into the stadium. :D
I assume you mean out of the balls and into the internet.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Surely the Patriots aren't going to ding Brady's contract for cliff diving are they? I just heard some national talking head saying they have to be considering it. Now, a talk with him about maybe thinking twice next time he's in Costa Rica? Sure, but dinging his contract? Ummm no, just no.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Surely the Patriots aren't going to ding Brady's contract for cliff diving are they? I just heard some national talking head saying they have to be considering it. Now, a talk with him about maybe thinking twice next time he's in Costa Rica? Sure, but dinging his contract? Ummm no, just no.
TC, there are 24 hours in a day, which means that there are 1440 minutes in a day. Allowing 30% of that time for commercials, that means that every station out there has to fill a thousand minutes a day w/ something. Them's a lot of minutes. That's why they do it. But why do you?

Personally, I liked the story about Brady playing hoops w/ MJ a lot better but that's probably a violation of Brady's contract, too.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

You have a point. I consume far too much sports "news".

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:The Falcons have won a grand total of 6 home games over the past two years. We can't even get pumping artificial noise into the stadium right. Unlike some teams who have perfected the art of pumping hot air out of the balls and into the stadium. :D
I assume you mean out of the balls and into the internet.
Next up, Goodell to Belichick:

As if.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

cortez the killer

- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This story having The Bears trading Jay Cutler and draft picks to The Titans for the 2nd pick where they would likely take Marcus Marcus Mariota seems to be very possible. I haven't heard too many media folks that actually think Mariota can play in the NFL. Seems very risky, but what he obviously does have is a winning background and physically appears to have the tools. Anyone have any thoughts?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This story having The Bears trading Jay Cutler and draft picks to The Titans for the 2nd pick where they would likely take Marcus Marcus Mariota seems to be very possible. I haven't heard too many media folks that actually think Mariota can play in the NFL. Seems very risky, but what he obviously does have is a winning background and physically appears to have the tools. Anyone have any thoughts?
BOOOOOOOOO

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:This story having The Bears trading Jay Cutler and draft picks to The Titans for the 2nd pick where they would likely take Marcus Marcus Mariota seems to be very possible. I haven't heard too many media folks that actually think Mariota can play in the NFL. Seems very risky, but what he obviously does have is a winning background and physically appears to have the tools. Anyone have any thoughts?
BOOOOOOOOO
Well that's a helpful response. I'm guessing you don't like the idea. I'd be OK with it if this kid really looked like the real deal to me. I'm guessing that any trade would probably include Cutler, probably next year's first and another pick. If that's the case I wouldn't do it. I'd rather take someone like Brett Hundley with a third round pick and let him develop. If he looks good you can dump Cutler next year.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
BOOOOOOOOO
Well that's a helpful response. I'm guessing you don't like the idea. I'd be OK with it if this kid really looked like the real deal to me. I'm guessing that any trade would probably include Cutler, probably next year's first and another pick. If that's the case I wouldn't do it. I'd rather take someone like Brett Hundley with a third round pick and let him develop. If he looks good you can dump Cutler next year.
I'm unconvinced that Mariota will amount to much, and I'm not interested in starting another 10 years of wandering through the bad QB forest

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I believe Mariota can be very good in the right situation. The Bears ain't it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:I believe Mariota can be very good in the right situation. The Bears ain't it.
How so Rod? Gase is one of the top OC's n the League is he not?

This is just a discussion. I don't really want Mariota based on the cost of draft pick and the fact that I'm not sure whether he's the real deal anyway.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

He has the talent and brains to be a good NFL qb, but has some learning to do.
There would be too much pressure for him to produce immediately in Chicago,
especially given the price to trade up for him.
I don't know if he is ready for the big city media and fans turning on him
after a few games. And you know they will.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:He has the talent and brains to be a good NFL qb, but has some learning to do.
There would be too much pressure for him to produce immediately in Chicago,
especially given the price to trade up for him.
I don't know if he is ready for the big city media and fans turning on him
after a few games. And you know they will.
I tend to agree. Chicago is no place for a questionable high draft pick at QB. Just curious on your reasoning.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Chicago fans would turn on Tom Brady if he had a bad game

cortez the killer

We had a discussion here a few months back about college QBs making a position change in hopes for an NFL career. With Brandon Marshall & Devin Gardner making an attempt this year, there's a piece on it over at espn.com.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As usual, ESPN's months long hyping of the draft gives me a headache. I really wish someone would publish stats about how accurate their predictions are. My suspicion is, not very. Anyway, I did happen to catch the report on that kid who standing broad jumped 12'3". Yes I said 12 feet, 3 inches!!! It was one of the more astonishing athletic feats I've ever seen.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:As usual, ESPN's months long hyping of the draft gives me a headache. I really wish someone would publish stats about how accurate their predictions are. My suspicion is, not very. Anyway, I did happen to catch the report on that kid who standing broad jumped 12'3". Yes I said 12 feet, 3 inches!!! It was one of the more astonishing athletic feats I've ever seen.
ESPN's mission to push the NFL all year around makes my ass weary

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Doug Buffone, one of my favorite Bears and local radio personality has passed away. I met the guy about a dozen times and he was genuine and real and kind. He also played his ass off on some of the worst Bears teams I ever saw but kept his humor about it. In the early eighties he ran nightlcubs, had a live midget wrestling event on TV and was a regular man about town. During that time he was my bands bass player's next door neighbor and he always came out to hassle him about his mohawk, but there wasn't any heat in the hassling, it was just busting his balls. Doug might not of liked the mohawk, but he liked his neighbor the bass player. Did he I mention he was a great football player? In recent years he and fellow former Bear Ed O'Bradovich did the Bears postgame and screamed their way through it every week and you almost had to worry about their health but after a bad loss they were the voice of the fan. Some of the most entertaining radio I ever heard. I will miss this guy. RIP Doug. A life well lived.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/20/8 ... 1422294655
Chip is the guy whose in a street fight and takes his clothes off entireley and starts putting cigarettes out on his own nipples before the fight starts and his opponet gets freaked the fuck out

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

You know, last year at this time I think I had read about 200 mock drafts, 2 or three complete scouting reports on draft eligible players and listened to every pre-draft podcast I could lay my hands on. Today I looked at my first mock of the 2015 draft beginning on Thursday. All I can say is thank god for the Chicago Cubs. I don't ever want to repeat 2014 in that way ever again.

That all being said, and again I haven't heard anything really about this, is Lovie "I'll tolerate a lot of things but no player of mine will commit violence against women" Smith really going to take Jameis Winston #1???? Honestly that's shocking to me. I'm not Smith's biggest fan but he was always, always big on that being the one line his players wouldn't cross and now his franchise QB is going to be the poster boy for (alleged) NFL rapists?? Wow.