NFL 2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: NFL 2015

Post by Iowan »

The Vikings are quietly salvaging my fall.

With Green Bay having some serious issues right now, and a road win against the Bears in the back pocket, it's starting to look like the North title is absolutely attainable for the Skol. The defense is possibly the best in the NFL, and the offense is doing what it needs to do. Throw in a really solid special teams unit, and I think this team has a real shot to make some noise.

We'll learn more in the next month, as the schedule becomes considerably more difficult.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

My Seahawks are done this year. The last 2 games (I've been there) they have not looked like a playoff caliber team at all. The hunger is gone & the bloat has set in. It's like when bands get big enough to start flying in private jets on tour (Led Zep, Stones, etc). Hope they prove me wrong.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

SAINTS: What is up with the whole Rob Ryan not fired/fired thing. Does Payton not have Rob Ryans cell no?

What will it take for the Saints to be effective again? They were the 'Aints in my youth (fan with bag over his head with sign saying Never Had it Never will). Had a brief period of greatness under Payton and Brees. Back to Ainthood. Bummer.

CFB followup: Rob Ryan to the USC Fighting Chickens? I know Rex is a big Clemson fan, so maybe some connections in SC?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Hoping my Seahawks come back to life today. Beast me!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess the SF - Seattle rivalry was short lived, lol.

Geez, I can't remember the overall quality of the NFL being as bad as it is right now. There are close games, exciting games, and there are always great plays if you watch long enough, but there just aren't a lot of well-played games. Exciting because it's close is a lot different than exciting because it's well played.

So many pretenders out there. Minny had a chance to make a statement and let's just say they didn't. The Bears had a huge opportunity and it seemed like they couldn't run away from it fast enough. What's happened to the Eagles? Didn't see it today but by score alone, UGH!

Carolina looks to be the class of the league by a decent margin which is just a very strange thing to say lol.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote: What's happened to the Eagles? Didn't see it today but by score alone, UGH!
A complete disaster and getting worse with each week. Ugly home losses against beatable opponents (Miami and Tampa) the last two weeks. The league has figured Chip Kelly out but he's got no counterpunch whatsoever. He's failing miserably in both the head coaching and player personnel departments. Very questionable whether Chip holds either job by the time next season rolls around.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Waiting all day for Monday nite...
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: What's happened to the Eagles? Didn't see it today but by score alone, UGH!
A complete disaster and getting worse with each week. Ugly home losses against beatable opponents (Miami and Tampa) the last two weeks. The league has figured Chip Kelly out but he's got no counterpunch whatsoever. He's failing miserably in both the head coaching and player personnel departments. Very questionable whether Chip holds either job by the time next season rolls around.
I can probably count on one hand the number of college coaches that had sustained success in the NFL
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There are already people saying that Kelly will end up at LSU.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UGH! What a terrible football game. And what horrible, awful officiating; those guys were clueless.

I wish I knew what game John Gruden was watching. It didn't bear much resemblance to the game I saw.

When is somebody gonna finally declare that Rex Ryan isn't wearing any clothes? He sure as hell isn't an emperor or even an above average head coach. His teams generally suck and almost always blow themselves up through stupidity, bad penalties, etc. Tonight was no exception. The Pats did what they had to do but the Bills lost that game at least as much as new england won it. Even though the game lacked aesthetic appeal, it's still always extra special to beat that blowhard Ryan.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Sad to say but the era of Beast Mode may be coming to an end in Seattle. Word is Marshawn is going to need season ending surgery. He's one of my 2 favorite players on the team (the other being Earl Thomas). On the happy side, Thomas Rawls' performance was revelatory on Sunday. 209 yards rushing, not bad for an undrafted rookie! Score another one for the Seahawks management. If Rawls can perform consistently, I can't see the Hawks taking a 11.5 million dollar cap hit next year to keep the Beast on the roster. I would hate to see him play anywhere else but if he wants to play another year, I can see him going home to Oakland to provide some veteran leadership. That wouldn't be a bad thing as the Raiders are my sentimental AFC team from when I was a kid. Lost in the shuffle Sunday, rookie WR Tyler Lockette had an excellent game. Even with this years inconsistenc, the future still looks pretty bright for the Seahawks. They may even not be done this year. Stay tuned....& GO HAWKS!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There are already people saying that Kelly will end up at LSU.
Or USC

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote: And what horrible, awful officiating; those guys were clueless.
The Boston Globe's Chad Finn's take: "a hapless officiating crew that conducted itself all night as if it were on the Buffalo Wild Wings payroll." :lol:

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

beantownbubba wrote:UGH! What a terrible football game.
It really was. Especially so from section 331 row 3 seat 21. A cold night in multiple ways. Hopefully they can suit up some guys to catch passes on Sun. in Denver.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: And what horrible, awful officiating; those guys were clueless.
The Boston Globe's Chad Finn's take: "a hapless officiating crew that conducted itself all night as if it were on the Buffalo Wild Wings payroll." :lol:
Anybody else think of these guys?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I've no problem with Joe Buck's announcing but his hair color is horrendous.

The NFL is a shitty product. I do not know why I spend my time watching these games.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I got a little tired of their obvious glee in repeatedly saying Jim Bob Cooter.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Seahawks/Steelers game was amazing yesterday. We'll see next week vs. the Vikings if the Seahawks are for real. GO HAWKS!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's be clear, the Patriots lost for these reasons in approximately this order:

A botched punt by the 4th string punt returner;
A [correct] holding call negating a 50 yard completion;
They essentially ran out of players.

But it becomes harder and harder to watch games in which referees have outsized impact on games due to wrong and inconsistent calls and non-calls. It seems to me that this is becoming an increasingly big issue for the league.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The refs are bad, no question, but it's compounded by the NFL's insistence on adding more and more "judgement call" penalties and/or rules that are so confusing that no one knows what they are (what the fuck is a "football move"?)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:The refs are bad, no question, but it's compounded by the NFL's insistence on adding more and more "judgement call" penalties and/or rules that are so confusing that no one knows what they are (what the fuck is a "football move"?)
True. The refs are being asked to do some ridiculous, maybe even impossible things. In part this is because replay is constantly looming over both the officials and the league (best example: the way whistles are blown (or not) on possible fumble calls). Personally, I fail to see why repeat viewings in super slow mo of the 5th angle on a play ought to overrule calls on the field. My proposed rule: Replay should be limited to (a) as many angles as may be available but (b) only one look (c) in real time time. If that's not enough to overturn a call, then it shouldn't be overturned. Replay should be used to correct egregious mistakes, not to attempt to make the game "perfect" in some abstract sense.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:Let's be clear, the Patriots lost for these reasons in approximately this order:

A botched punt by the 4th string punt returner;
A [correct] holding call negating a 50 yard completion;
They essentially ran out of players.

But it becomes harder and harder to watch games in which referees have outsized impact on games due to wrong and inconsistent calls and non-calls. It seems to me that this is becoming an increasingly big issue for the league.
the PI call on Gronk was ridiculous. you could call that one on pretty much every non-fly pass route.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

chuckrh wrote:Seahawks/Steelers game was amazing yesterday. We'll see next week vs. the Vikings if the Seahawks are for real. GO HAWKS!
I'm really, really, really glad that game is in MInneapolis. Huge game for both squads.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

If playoffs started today:

AFC:

1. New England
2. Cincinnati
3. Denver vs. 6. Houston
4. Indy vs. 5. KC

NFC:

1. Carolina
2. Arizona
3. Minnesota vs. Seattle
4. Washington vs. GB

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Ahhhh, Minneapolis in January! Sounds lovely! :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Washington would be in the playoffs? Washington???!!! :shock:

As always, Mr. Belichick doesn't fuck around: Chris Harper who fumbled a punt on Sunday was cut on Monday.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Merry Xmas from Philly....

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Working myself into a frenzy for Hawks/Vikings game tomorrow. 10AM kickoff here. Will need to start the voodoo ceremonies tonight...GO HAWKS! :D

Clams

Post by Clams »

Certainly did not see the Eagles over the Pats coming, esp in Foxboro, but I'll take it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Bubba!! :)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:Certainly did not see the Eagles over the Pats coming, esp in Foxboro, but I'll take it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Bubba!! :)
Patriots almost came all the way back. Crazy final 7 minutes