NFL 2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2015

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

100,000 people are expected at the draft tonight in Chicago. Mind you this is a sporting event where no sports will be played and yet 100K Warm bodies will arrive, consume and conquer while young men get chosen in a contest to divide who gets how many millions. You really can't write this shit can you?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:100,000 people are expected at the draft tonight in Chicago. Mind you this is a sporting event where no sports will be played and yet 100K Warm bodies will arrive, consume and conquer while young men get chosen in a contest to divide who gets how many millions. You really can't write this shit can you?
This is puzzling since the NFL draft venue only holds 3901 people. Are the rest of the fans going to Chicago to celebrate or drown their sorrows (as the case may be) in the same city as the actual draft?

http://www.auditoriumtheatre.org/plan-y ... ing-chart/
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:100,000 people are expected at the draft tonight in Chicago. Mind you this is a sporting event where no sports will be played and yet 100K Warm bodies will arrive, consume and conquer while young men get chosen in a contest to divide who gets how many millions. You really can't write this shit can you?
This is puzzling since the NFL draft venue only holds 3901 people. Are the rest of the fans going to Chicago to celebrate or drown their sorrows (as the case may be) in the same city as the actual draft?

There's "Draft Row" or whatever they're calling it set up in Grant Park with jumbotrons and celebrity events including kids activities. that's where the bulk of the people will be. It actually started yesterday afternoon.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:

There's "Draft Row" or whatever they're calling it set up in Grant Park with jumbotrons and celebrity events including kids activities. that's where the bulk of the people will be. It actually started yesterday afternoon.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PT Barnum would be proud. And I mean that as a compliment.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Was hoping to see Gang Green in here.. As a Jets fan, draft day is the most exciting day of the year.. The season is still months away, the team has not yet let us down and there's unrealistic optimism that we trade up and get Mariota.

Alas, I have no doubt we'll just take the best option for the #6 pick, Geno will blow the starting role by week 3 and the team goes 5-11.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The most exciting thing about the draft is that it will soon be over. I grew weary of it about 3 months ago
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:The most exciting thing about the draft is that it will soon be over. I grew weary of it about 3 months ago
I used to love it but last year burned me out. I've paid very little attention this year and the hype machine has really exploded.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I truly don't want Marcus Mariota. That is all.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I truly don't want Marcus Mariota. That is all.
I don't think Winston to Mariota would be top ten picks in many past drafts. Thin QB pool plus teams at top with QB needs has lushed them higher than they should be.

And No to Mariota as well, especially since he's never taken a snap under center

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

beantownbubba wrote:PT Barnum would be proud. And I mean that as a compliment.
Ain't that the truth. Why does everything have to be such a ridiculous spectacle?
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Gaetzi wrote:Was hoping to see Gang Green in here.. As a Jets fan, draft day is the most exciting day of the year.. The season is still months away, the team has not yet let us down and there's unrealistic optimism that we trade up and get Mariota.

Alas, I have no doubt we'll just take the best option for the #6 pick, Geno will blow the starting role by week 3 and the team goes 5-11.
Draft day is bigger than Super Bowl Sunday, though I'm still scared from the Lam Jones, Jeff Lagaman, Kyle Brady, Mike Nugent, Blair Thomas, Roger Vick, ahh never mind.

The draft still needs to be in New York, it loses something being in Chicago, sorry Zip and TC. If Mariotta fell to the Jets, fine, but I I'm not in favor of trading up for him. I look forward to the Ryan Fitzpatrick era, he's got to be better than Al Woodall.

Steve Serby says they'll pick that guard/tackle from Iowa. I'm good with that. Please, no recieivers or pass rushers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Gang Green wrote:
The draft still needs to be in New York, it loses something being in Chicago, sorry Zip and TC.
Why?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Zip City wrote:
Gang Green wrote:
The draft still needs to be in New York, it loses something being in Chicago, sorry Zip and TC.
Why?
Come on Zip, I'm having some fun. But if you don't get a chill watching the video below, then you haven't lived live. Though, I know you have State College connections, I can blame you for the Blair Thomas and Kyle Brady pick.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If you're a Tampa Bay Buccaneer fan, you've got problems. If you're a TB Bucs fan with your face painted like an idiot in draft night, you're likely insane.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Props from Philly to the Chicago audience for booing Goodell every time he walks to the podium.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:Props from Philly to the Chicago audience for booing Goodell every time he walks to the podium.
I take back what I said above about Chicago.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:Props from Philly to the Chicago audience for booing Goodell every time he walks to the podium.
Channelling their inner Philadelphian. :lol:

Gang Green you have to be psyched for Leonard Williams.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hard to pass on Kevin White.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Channelling their inner Philadelphian. :LOL:

Gang Green you have to be psyched for Leonard Williams.
I'm a glass half empty kind of guy, I'm concerned about his shoulder. But, he was the best player on the board and I didn't think they needed a receiver. They're D line was their strength, but it can never be too strong. I'm mildly happy. The Skins took the guy I wanted.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Williams was considered by most to be the best overall player in the draft. I wanted him in Chicago. You should be ecstatic

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Williams was considered by most to be the best overall player in the draft. I wanted him in Chicago. You should be ecstatic
I wanted him too but didn't spend much time wishing for him as I was shocked he fell to 6. If there's a sure All Pro in the top 10 it's Williams.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Zip City wrote:Williams was considered by most to be the best overall player in the draft. I wanted him in Chicago. You should be ecstatic
I'm happy they picked the best guy available. But, I have heard bad things about his shoulder. So, I'm happy with reservations. And, they still need to score big in the later rounds. Sorry guys, I've been a Jet fan too long, I keep my expectations low.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A sure sign of trouble: Mel Kiper thinks the Patriots got the "best value" in the first round.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If Chip Kelly really did offer the package that he was rumored to have offered to both Tampa Bay and Tennessee one has to not only question Kelly's sanity but also the judgment of the brain trusts of the Bucs and Titans. I mean really can anyone say that either one of those guys, Winston or Mariota, are guaranteed franchise QB's?

Favorite quote of the night from Mike Mayock; "I think when you think Jameis Winston and who he is and what he can do you have to think of Ben Roethlisberger". I honestly couldn't believe those words came out of his mouth. Surely he didn't put much thought into them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Favorite quote of the night from Mike Mayock; "I think when you think Jameis Winston and who is and what he can do you have to think of Ben Roethlisberger". I honestly couldn't believe those words came out of his mouth. Surely he didn't put much thought into them.
That's really funny in a donald rumsfeld kind of way.

What was the pkg Kelly was offering to move up?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Favorite quote of the night from Mike Mayock; "I think when you think Jameis Winston and who he is and what he can do you have to think of Ben Roethlisberger". I honestly couldn't believe those words came out of his mouth. Surely he didn't put much thought into them.
That's really funny in a donald rumsfeld kind of way.

What was the pkg Kelly was offering to move up?
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapport, the Eagles offered two first round picks, a third round pick, defensive end Fletcher Cox, defensive back Brandon Boykin and linebacker Mychal Kendricks. Sam Bradford, who the Eagles recently added through trade, was also mentioned as part of a potential package.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:According to NFL.com's Ian Rapport, the Eagles offered two first round picks, a third round pick, defensive end Fletcher Cox, defensive back Brandon Boykin and linebacker Mychal Kendricks. Sam Bradford, who the Eagles recently added through trade, was also mentioned as part of a potential package.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:If Chip Kelly really did offer the package that he was rumored to have offered to both Tampa Bay and Tennessee one has to not only question Kelly's sanity but also the judgment of the brain trusts of the Bucs and Titans. I mean really can anyone say that either one of those guys, Winston or Mariota, are guaranteed franchise QB's?
Seriously. :shock: I can only hope that those were all available pieces from which a package could be negotiated, not that ALL of that was the package.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rappaport reported it was all of it and Bradford was added at the last minute to sweeten the pot. If true I cannot understand why either of those teams turned it down much less both of them. Of course Kelly is denying it all.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The deflategate report is finally released and as expected it clarifies exactly nothing. This is really unfortunate, especially for Tom Brady but also for pretty much everyone involved.

The report impugns Brady's integrity and implies he's a liar. That's gonna be a permanent stain which is fine if it's deserved, but I'm not sure the report backs up that result.

Mostly, the report will give Patriots haters plenty of ammunition and justification for calling the Pats cheaters and calling into question some remarkable achievements while leaving so much room for spin and doubt as to not satisfactorily resolve the issue to anyone's satisfaction. That uncertainty means that this subject will never die as a subject of talk radio speculation, trash talk among fans and perhaps players, and an "asterisk" when placing the Pats, Bellichick and Brady in historical context. I'm already tired of hearing it and it hasn't even started. :lol: I'd call that a pretty bad outcome and a waste of a huge amount of the NFL's dough. I'd have to read the whole report to credibly criticize Wells and his team and I doubt I'm going to do that, but based on what I've read, I wouldn't hire them.

It's just a shame because even if the Patriots did exactly what they're accused of and they did it knowingly, it didn't have a damn bit of influence on the outcome*. So then one is left w/ "well if they did that imagine what else they've done but weren't caught." The net result will be the tarnishing of the Patriots' legacy out of all proportion to what they actually did. Very sad.

*As I've said before, that doesn't excuse the act and it should be punished. It's the disproportionate impact that I'm addressing here.