college football 2013

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

college football 2013

Post by dime in the gutter »

hat has got some action.

2013...expect les.

les miles and jason molina are both from lorain county ohio.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Re: college football 2013

Post by Iowan »

Gonna be a tough year for my boys, I think.

Defense took a lot of hits. Offense has never been a strength under Rhoads, but Sam Richardson (who started our last 3 games) has shown some promise. He hit 80% in his debut against KU, but only threw 40% in his last two outings against WVU and Tulsa. Easily explained by the incredibly windy conditions against WVU (Geno Smith had a weak completion % in that game too) and the fact that he was throwing up on the sidelines against Tulsa due to a flue. He's thrown some amazing passes in these three starts and has shown to be a competent runner. Of course, Steele Jantz and Jared Barnett did the same in their first few games. Richardson, however, has avoided the turnover bug that killed both of those guys.

Running game should be one of the more consistent in the Big 12. We hired Chris Klenakis as O-line coach. Cortez, you know much about this dude? From what I understand he helped Chris Ault develop the Pistol (which has been our most effective running formation in the Rhoads era) at Nevada, and helped with some great offenses for Pigtrino at Arky. I have a buddy who films for the football team who raves about this guy.

All that said, we have a road non-con match up at Tulsa, and play the two in-state squads at home. We then get 4 of 9 Big 12 games in Ames and have road trips to places like Norman, Morgantown, and Manhattan. Its a bitch of a slate, but I know Rhoads and Co are up to it. One thing I've learned about Paul Rhoads is that once I give up, bro seems to make shinola out of shit. Wouldn't shock me if we go bowling, but I don't expect it.

Looking forward to the view from Section G, and lots of Cyclone tailgating. Roast hog flesh, copious amounts of booze, and a good time in general.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:We hired Chris Klenakis as O-line coach. Cortez, you know much about this dude? From what I understand he helped Chris Ault develop the Pistol (which has been our most effective running formation in the Rhoads era) at Nevada, and helped with some great offenses for Pigtrino at Arky.

Don't really "know" the guy, but "The Pistol" is all the craze in football right now. Nevada (under Ault) did great things offensively, and are ultimately reponsible for the spread of the pistol backfield set, so if they (ISU) want to continue with that approach, he seems like a strong hire. At then end of the day you either have the horses (great players) or you don't.

As a side note, we're gonna incorporate the pistol backfield set into what we do as an offense next year, too. We're also gonna use a lotta up-tempo, breakneck speed as well.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:We hired Chris Klenakis as O-line coach. Cortez, you know much about this dude? From what I understand he helped Chris Ault develop the Pistol (which has been our most effective running formation in the Rhoads era) at Nevada, and helped with some great offenses for Pigtrino at Arky.

Don't really "know" the guy, but "The Pistol" is all the craze in football right now. Nevada (under Ault) did great things offensively, and are ultimately reponsible for the spread of the pistol backfield set, so if they (ISU) want to continue with that approach, he seems like a strong hire. At then end of the day you either have the horses (great players) or you don't.

As a side note, we're gonna incorporate the pistol backfield set into what we do as an offense next year, too. We're also gonna use a lotta up-tempo, breakneck speed as well.

We've been incredibly hesitant to go under center in the Rhoads era, but our RB corps has been the closest thing we've had to an offensive strength. We have 3-4 guys with decent talents including a scat-back, power guy, and slasher. We've been hammering on zone read and shotgun based sweeps, and it seems to this untrained armchair OC that having guys basically take the ball, and then establish momentum has been far less effective than when we've gone Pistol and got our guys the rock with a head of steam.

Pistol has been our best set for running the ball since 2010 or so, and I personally think the idea would be Klenakis moves into the OC role if our current OC can't do it. Seems to me that Rhoads recognized a strength of the team and found a guy who could help develop it further.

We don't have a lot of horses, but the ones we have are in the backfield, and they've been the most effective with Pistol and Diamond sets.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

We've been incredibly hesitant to go under center in the Rhoads era, but our RB corps has been the closest thing we've had to an offensive strength. We have 3-4 guys with decent talents including a scat-back, power guy, and slasher. We've been hammering on zone read and shotgun based sweeps, and it seems to this untrained armchair OC that having guys basically take the ball, and then establish momentum has been far less effective than when we've gone Pistol and got our guys the rock with a head of steam.

Pistol has been our best set for running the ball since 2010 or so, and I personally think the idea would be Klenakis moves into the OC role if our current OC can't do it. Seems to me that Rhoads recognized a strength of the team and found a guy who could help develop it further.

We don't have a lot of horses, but the ones we have are in the backfield, and they've been the most effective with Pistol and Diamond sets.

We pound the pill (280 yards rushing/game, just under 6 yards/carry). Our running backs like being under center. I like being in the 'gun. The pistol seems like the right compromise.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:We pound the pill (280 yards rushing/game, just under 6 yards/carry). Our running backs like being under center. I like being in the 'gun. The pistol seems like the right compromise.

No doubt. Is it easier for your boys to block out of the shotgun? When I was playing OL in HS (a far, far cry from the collegiate game), I liked blocking shotgun pass plays and blocking under center runs.

What do you like about the gun? I always appreciate hearing the perspective of folks with more skin in the game than just being a drunk in the cheap seats.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:We pound the pill (280 yards rushing/game, just under 6 yards/carry). Our running backs like being under center. I like being in the 'gun. The pistol seems like the right compromise.

No doubt. Is it easier for your boys to block out of the shotgun? When I was playing OL in HS (a far, far cry from the collegiate game), I liked blocking shotgun pass plays and blocking under center runs.

What do you like about the gun? I always appreciate hearing the perspective of folks with more skin in the game than just being a drunk in the cheap seats.

It's more about the comfort of the running backs than how the OL blocks it. The OL are insecure, fat fucks. Little ego. They complain & I scream at them and they cower in fear. The running backs have monster egos and are sensitive divas. Plus, they are very talented. I bend over backwards for them.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Appreciate the candor. Keep those fat fucks insecure, and those divas sensitive. Seems to be working.

dime in the gutter

top 10ish coaches in america. inpo.

miles
saban
urban
spurrior
richt
dude from notre dame
cortez
peterson from boise.
gary patterson
stoops maybe.
gundy ?
stanford coach shaw

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

dime in the gutter wrote:top 10ish coaches in america. inpo.

miles
saban
urban
spurrior
richt
dude from notre dame
cortez
peterson from boise.
gary patterson
stoops maybe.
gundy ?
stanford coach shaw

Shaw is awesome.

Richt is not.

Scott Cochran might beat them all
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dime in the gutter

TW_2.0 wrote:Scott Cochran might beat them all

turn coat, yellabelly.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Bill Snyder
He's a witch

dime in the gutter

4sooner wrote:Bill Snyder
He's a witch

yes.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Father Time is my vote. Fucking Wizard of Manhattan.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

4sooner wrote:Bill Snyder
He's a witch

Nice call
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

When you look at where KSU was before Snyder got there; what happened when he left; and what's happened since he got back, and couple that with the challenges that are inherent in that job, what he has done is astonishing.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

dime in the gutter

this is all yall got? bill snyder and the weasel strength coach from bama? i want to see lists mother fuckers.

bunch of list loving, ranking pontificaters who jones on college football.....

graciously.....and since yall love the dexateeens, i'll lower the bar a little and allow subsets of "up and comers."

weak sauce.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You gotta like what bill O'brien did at Penn State. Time will tell, but he's off to a good start.

Is Barry Alvarez in or out? I always thought that what he did at Wiscy compared favorably w/ Snyder at K State.

Whoever that guy is who made Northwestern a ranked team for a few years. I don't know if it was recruiting, cheating or coaching wizardry but that was one of the most impressive things I've seen in college football. Boise State (the Gonzaga of college football) has some similar hurdles so Patterson has to count, but the N'Western job is much tougher.

Even in the world of college football coaches, Saban seems like a pretty big asshole, but you gotta give the guy his due. Not sure what else he needs to do to be one of the all-timers.

Meyer's right there too. His job w/ OSU was comparable in some ways to what O'Brien had to do & did in Happy Valley. A national championship at OSU puts him right there w/ Saban I assume.

Up and comer: Coach Taylor. I thought the guy from BC was really going places, but he more or less screwed the pooch at NC State. Can't even remember his name already.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:top 10ish coaches in america. inpo.

miles
saban
urban
spurrior
richt
dude from notre dame
cortez
peterson from boise.
gary patterson
stoops maybe.
gundy ?
stanford coach shaw

Impressive list. I was hoping I had risen above Brian Kelly, but, alas, no.

In order:
Saban

Meyer

Chip Kelly (I know, he's gone)
C. Peterson
Brian Kelly
Stoops
Shaw
Bill Snyder (once saw a hypnotist to see if he could be hypnotized to not require sleep)
Les
Mack Brown (under fire recently, but the body of work is very strong)

Bubbling under:
Brady Hoke
Bill O'Brien
Bielima
Bobby Petrino (1st class scumbag/brilliant football mind)
Spurrier
Gundy
Sumlin (Texas A&M)
Charlie Strong
- DPM

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:I always appreciate hearing the perspective of folks with more skin in the game than just being a drunk in the cheap seats.

I strongly recommend Smart Football. The writer, Chris Brown, also contributes to Bill Simmons' Grantland. It's well-written, informative and it's a great resource for both hardcore fans and coaches.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

1. Snyder. See my above post. KSU football was scorched fucking earth prior to his arrival. Those who aren't familiar with the history of the Big 8 might not fully appreciate how bad it was, but I don't think there is a single current major program that is as bad as KSU was when Snyder got there. He's never won a national title, and probably never will, but considering KSU is not a traditional powerhouse, Kansas produces very few Division 1 players, there is another BCS level program in the state, and Manhattan is quite literally an outpost (its a nice town, but its 50 miles from anything, and they actually graze sheep in their tailgating lots; I've personally witnessed this), his multiple Big 12 titles are extremely impressive. Even more so when he does it on a 9 game, no divisions, no cupcakes round-robin schedule. Snyder had the balls to build his own program from the ground up, and not just be a care-taker of something someone else beat (coughNickSabancough). This is rare in college football today.

EVERYONE ELSE

-Mike Leach. The Pirate himself. He's a strange cat, who thinks outside the box and comes at football from left field. Like me, he's a lawyer who by trade who never played football beyond the HS level, but just loved the game. He worked his way up through the ranks with absolutely no connections to start with. He tells it like is, and he does things his way. Uncompromising. Brilliant. The penultimate outsider.

-Urban Meyer. There's a damn good argument for placing him #1, but I'm a sucker for longevity and loyalty. He has won every where, be it at the helm of a couple mid-majors, or at downright powerhouses. Anyone can win with the best players in the game at their disposal (see: Chizik, Gene) but Urb can do it anywhere.

-Mike Gundy. Charismatic, great offensive mind, and a hell of a recruiter. With T. Boone's endless pockets and his proximity to Texas recruiting grounds, he's going to keep OK State a force to contend with most years, despite their small fanbase and Stillwater's relative remoteness. He loves his alma mater, and although he may flirt to get more money, his passion for OK State makes him even more effective as a leader.

-Bobby Petrino. Don't really have anything to add other than what's been said already.

-Pat Fitzgerald. Very similar to Gundy. He's young, charismatic guy leading his alma mater to consistent success. What's interesting about Fitzgerald is that his teams have won with consistent offenses, but he has a defensive background as a player. What's also impressive about his success is that Northwestern has virtually no fan support, terrible facilities, and very high academic standards.

-Brian Kelly. Scumbag. But he once lost his pocket passer (Tony Pike) late in the 2nd quarter, inserted an athletic freshman (Zach Collaros) at halftime, and shifted the entire offensive scheme from Air Raid to Zone Read. AT HALFTIME. But he kinda sorta killed a guy. Maybe.

-Les Miles. He's won wherever he's been, including pre-T. Boone erector set stadium OK State. He's completely bat shit crazy, and more often than not his bizarre antics, what appears to be anti-coaching, and general awesome aura seem to produce consistent wins (and multiple national titles) even when he has absolutely no offense. The dude eats grass from all the road fields for Christ's sake.

-Mike Reilly. Oregon State had something like 30 straight losing seasons before him. Now they bowl every year and challenge for the Pac title on a regular basis. The Poor Man's Bill Snyder. Nothing to sneeze at in that title either.

-Nick Saban. He wins at places with major built-in advantages, but 3 National Titles in 4 years just can't be ignored. Even if a lot of other coaches could do it with those advantages. The fact that the guys before him didn't indicates that it still takes serious skill. Or maybe they were that bad.

HM
-Kevin Sumlin. Could crack that Top 10 someday. Look for UT to make a hard run at him when Mack gets cast aside. Mike Leach disciple.

-Dana Holgorsen. Another Leach disciple. Absolutely ruthless, absolutely brilliant as an offensive mind. Borderline psycopath. Heavy drinker/total wildman. Iowa native. What's not to love?

-Gary Patterson. The Moses of college football. Just keeps winning. Adjusted to the step up to the Big 12 admirably. Will field an NC Darkhorse next season. More longevity/loyalty. Turned down his alma mater (KSU) to keep building the program he started.

-Chuck Strong. Quickly building his program. Scoffed at more powerful programs who offered him more money. Got a 5 star QB to the Big East.

-Cortez. Good booze, good tunes, engineer of a 7 yards per carry rushing attack. The trifecta.

-Bill O'Brien. Walked into the worst situation ever and started winning games. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:I always appreciate hearing the perspective of folks with more skin in the game than just being a drunk in the cheap seats.

I strongly recommend Smart Football. The writer, Chris Brown, also contributes to Bill Simmons' Grantland. It's well-written, informative and it's a great resource for both hardcore fans and coaches.

I just read the free section of this:
http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-ai ... and-beyond

and loved it. Thanks for the heads up. How much more do you get with the premium content?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Many spread, no-huddle teams nowadays have their offenses line up and then look toward the sideline to receive additional instruction. This allows coaches to get a look at the defense, but defenses also make adjustments during this time, so the offense rarely gains the upper hand. The Air Raiders skip that step and rely on the quarterback to make smart decisions.

ISU's offenses under Rhoads have done the whole "look to the line" thing. I've never felt great about it, and this helps me understand why. That said, I don't know if we had QBs in the past who you could trust in that situation.

cortez the killer

Impressive work, Iowan. Snyder is a good choice. Dude builds the program and retires. Hands it over to Ron "fucking" Prince (don't get me started on that guy). Program dips and Prince is canned. Snyder returns and the program returns to prominence. I think Snyder works there. I don't think he'd work quite so well at, say, 'Bama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC. College football is all about finding the right guy. Bill Snyder is the absolutely right guy at Kansas St.

You seem to knock down coaches that have resources at their disposal. With increased resources comes intense pressure. Some can handle it and some cannot. Saban is operating at another level right now.

Leach is a fucking wingnut, but a brilliant mind. Not my cup of tea philosophically, but I gotta respect him. Bad oversight on my part. Add him to bubbling under.

Not sure how David Shaw isn't even mentioned on your list. Maybe you give Harbaugh all the credit for building it, but Shaw is a brilliant coach who has raised the game at Stanford. I suppose 2 more years will more accurately reflect his actual impact.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

I just read the free section of this:
http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-ai ... and-beyond

and loved it. Thanks for the heads up. How much more do you get with the premium content?

Not sure. I don't pay for the premium content.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:Not sure. I don't pay for the premium content.

Pretty much answers the question then. I've realized that pretty much every article is full of a billion links to other stuff he's done. I'm reading his Grantland breakdown of Holgo and Les right now. Fantastic shit.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:Impressive work, Iowan. Snyder is a good choice. Dude builds the program and retires. Hands it over to Ron "fucking" Prince (don't get me started on that guy). Program dips and Prince is canned. Snyder returns and the program returns to prominence. I think Snyder works there. I don't think he'd work quite so well at, say, 'Bama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC. College football is all about finding the right guy. Bill Snyder is the absolutely right guy at Kansas St.

You seem to knock down coaches that have resources at their disposal. With increased resources comes intense pressure. Some can handle it and some cannot. Saban is operating at another level right now.

Leach is a fucking wingnut, but a brilliant mind. Not my cup of tea philosophically, but I gotta respect him. Bad oversight on my part. Add him to bubbling under.

Not sure how David Shaw isn't even mentioned on your list. Maybe you give Harbaugh all the credit for building it, but Shaw is a brilliant coach who has raised the game at Stanford. I suppose 2 more years will more accurately reflect his actual impact.

Shaw is worthy. There's no doubt about that. Last year indicated that he's not just coasting on Harbaugh's work. As you indicated, I'd like to see where things go from here before I throw him in there. You could call it an oversight on my part. I just don't know enough of his backstory, or watch Stanford as much as I should (I enjoy them when I do watch). As I'm sure surprised no one, my list was pretty Big 12 (past and present) heavy.

Also, I admittedly have a bias for the program builders. Probably a product of my position (being a fan of a school that has historically struggled) in all of this. Definitely more pressure at the big gigs. But I look at guys like Mack Brown and can't help but think that they're leaving so much on the table in terms of results. I'm not trying to knock down coaches at big gigs so much as I'm trying to elevate the guys who make garbage programs competitive and keep them going. I agree that what Snyder does wouldn't necessarily work at Bama, Notre Dame, Texas, etc.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:-Cortez. Good booze, good tunes, engineer of a 7 yards per carry rushing attack. The trifecta.

Plus, his players graduate (I assume).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:-Cortez. Good booze, good tunes, engineer of a 7 yards per carry rushing attack. The trifecta.

Plus, his players graduate (I assume).

100%. But the credit isn't mine.
- DPM