Weird, hard to explain experience

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Weird, hard to explain experience

Post by Cole Younger »

Ever had one?

I don't know if a thread like this already exists somewhere and I may have been better served posting this in the WTF thread but I felt like it needed its own thread.

I was told a story Sunday night that, while not unexplainable, is certainly very weird and disturbing.

I was supposed to go on a fishing trip with a cousin of mine this past weekend. He's been more like my younger brother all my life than a cousin. Our plans were to leave work early Friday and drive the hour and twenty minutes or so to a lake that's in the middle of about 7,000 acres of state land nort of here.

Something came up at the last minute and I was unable to go so he decided to go ahead and go by himself. I woke up Sunday morning with a text from him that said, "Need to talk to you. Call me when you get a chance." I called him after lunch Sunday and he said he would come by.

Here's what he told me; he went up and fished a while Friday evening. He had the lake to himself as nobody else was camping. He cooked something on the smoker that night and went to bed early so he could get an early start in the morning. He had such a good day fishing Saturday (he called me and bragged about all the fun I was missing) that he decided to stay that night and fish again Sunday morning.

He was tired from fishing all day and went to bed early that night. He had been asleep a while when a noise woke him up. He assumed it was me, determined not to miss all the good fishing, coming up there to spend one night and get some fishing in the next day. He said he laid there for a bit and realized that whatever he had heard wasn't me because it was all quiet. He shrugged it off and was trying to go back to sleep when he heard a child's voice call out, "Mama!" :shock: He said he sat straight up. He still thought that maybe somebody was mesing with him or maybe some other people had shown up to camp after he went to sleeep so he went outside his tent. All dark. Still nobody camping up there but him. He understandably started feeling a little creeped out and was trying to decide what to do. He heard it again. As spooked as he was, he worried that some child might have gotten lost from its family and he yelled out asking if the child was in trouble. No answer. He yelled that if it was lost he would help. Silence.

Soem time went by and he didn't hear it again. He broke camp, packed up his truck and drove home in the middle of the night. He was noticeably agitated while he told me the story. Said he he called the ranger station that day and told the story worried that there might be some poor lost child up there. They said they would be on the look out but that he had been the only one up there camping that weekend.

Weird huh? I really don't think he was making this up. Not his style at all and like I said, he seemed really undone while telling me about it.

What do yall think? Am I being pranked? Anything weird ever happen to any of yall that you couldn't explain like that?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Beebs

Re: Weird, hard to explain experience

Post by Beebs »

Fisher and fox in particular can make some scary ass human baby sounding calls, but I'm guessing you already knew that. I've seen/heard porcupine make some crazy noises too.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Or it was just this thing creeping around in the dark

Beebs is not a ragey man

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

During the summer of 2005 I decided to get out and about since I had not been camping for a while and needed a break from a job that I had just started. I towed my little 1966 Scotty Sportsman (teardrop trailer) up to a fairly remote spot in the mountains not too far from Preston Idaho. It was just myself and of course, my dogs Blu and Belle. There was a Forest Service campground about 5 miles down the road, but aside from that, I'm sure that I was the only human for miles around. After watching a couple of movies in my trailer I decided to take a little stroll, au natural up the trail in the moonlight. For those of you who have never tried it, there is a certain special something about being free and easy in the great outdoors. Anyway, I start walking with my dogs, and about 100 yards up the trail I hear an indescribably terrifying shrieking scream from about 50 yards off to my left. Like I say, I was the only human for miles around, was standing bare-ass naked a hundred yards from my trailer. My dogs stopped dead still, hair standing straight up and silent. It was at this point that I made an executive decision to go ahead and return to the trailer. I've tried many times in vain, to describe the sound I heard that night, but the best I can say is it sounded like a cross between a a big cat (as in Cougar) scream crossed with the screech of an attacking Eagle. The next morning I tried to find tracks or other evidence and came up empty. After many attempts to identify the creature that made the sound, I came up with the only logical conclusion. Bigfoot.
Last edited by UTHeathen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've had several friends relate ghost stories to me over the years. As far fetched as they were, the sincerity in which they were told to me had me believing them. As much as I would like to hear from departed loved ones I have a feeling something like that would probably give me a heart attack.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote: He shrugged it off and was trying to go back to sleep when he heard a child's voice call out, "Mama!" :shock: He said he sat straight up. He still thought that maybe somebody was mesing with him or maybe some other people had shown up to camp after he went to sleeep so he went outside his tent. All dark. Still nobody camping up there but him. He understandably started feeling a little creeped out and was trying to decide what to do. He heard it again. As spooked as he was, he worried that some child might have gotten lost from its family and he yelled out asking if the child was in trouble. No answer. He yelled that if it was lost he would help. Silence.

UTHeathen wrote:Anyway, I start walking with my dogs, and about 100 yards up the trail I hear an indescribably terrifying shrieking scream from about 50 yards off to my left. Like I say, I was the only human for miles around, was standing bare-ass naked a hundred yards from my trailer. My dogs stopped dead still, hair standing straight up and silent. It was at this point that I made an executive decision to go ahead and return to the trailer. I've tried many times in vain, to describe the sound I heard that night, but the best I can say is it sounded like a cross between a a big cat (as in Cougar) scream crossed with the screech of an attacking Eagle. The next morning I tried to find tracks or other evidence and came up empty. After many attempts to identify the creature that made the sound, I came up with the only logical conclusion. Bigfoot.

Can only be BEANTOWN BUBBA
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

UTHeathen wrote:During the summer of 2005 I decided to get out and about since I had not been camping for a while and needed a break from a job that I had just started. I towed my little 1966 Scotty Sportsman (teardrop trailer) up to a fairly remote spot in the mountains not too far from Preston Idaho. It was just myself and of course, my dogs Blu and Belle. There was a Forest Service campground about 5 miles down the road, but aside from that, I'm sure that I was the only human for miles around. After watching a couple of movies in my trailer I decided to take a little stroll, au natural up the trail in the moonlight. For those of you who have never tried it, there is a certain special something about being free and easy in the great outdoors. Anyway, I start walking with my dogs, and about 100 yards up the trail I hear an indescribably terrifying shrieking scream from about 50 yards off to my left. Like I say, I was the only human for miles around, was standing bare-ass naked a hundred yards from my trailer. My dogs stopped dead still, hair standing straight up and silent. It was at this point that I made an executive decision to go ahead and return to the trailer. I've tried many times in vain, to describe the sound I heard that night, but the best I can say is it sounded like a cross between a a big cat (as in Cougar) scream crossed with the screech of an attacking Eagle. The next morning I tried to find tracks or other evidence and came up empty. After many attempts to identify the creature that made the sound, I came up with the only logical conclusion. Bigfoot.

Sounds like the lowly Wampus Cat. I know there were several sightings around my neck of the woods when I was growing up but I never did see one.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UTHeathen wrote:After watching a couple of movies in my trailer

UTHeathen wrote:I decided to take a little stroll, au natural up the trail in the moonlight.

Just what kind of movies were you watching?

I guess you've heard me sing, clams. There's no doubt it was me: I'm so light on my feet nobody could have possibly heard me coming.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

beantownbubba wrote:

UTHeathen wrote:I decided to take a little stroll, au natural up the trail in the moonlight.

I guess you've heard me sing, clams. There's no doubt it was me: I'm so light on my feet nobody could have possibly heard me coming.

If I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do, I watched Gattaca and The Big Lebowski. Who knew that the Wampus Cat likes the Dude?

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

beantownbubba wrote:

If I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do, I watched Gattaca and The Big Lebowski. Maybe it was a Pomeranian.
Last edited by UTHeathen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

The scene of the scream.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

UTHeathen wrote:The scene of the scream.

Are there any owls out here in Idaho? I know back in sconie where I'm from the hoot owls I have around the shakk with make some really shreeky sounds sometimes. Just a thought.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

wrekkr wrote:Are there any owls out here in Idaho? I know back in sconie where I'm from the hoot owls I have around the shakk with make some really shreeky sounds sometimes. Just a thought.

Ya know, that's what my brother suggested. I think that's the most likely explanation.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I posted this in the NC thread, back in March 2012.

Last night I had a dream that my coworker and I were driving through one of the coastal towns. People were lined up along the sidewalks like they were waiting for a parade, when all of the sudden a little dog on one of them retractable leashes darts in front of our truck. My coworker Dave doesn't see it and runs it over. It was so traumatic and realistic that I awoke immediately from my dream. This morning we get on the road I proceed to tell Dave about my dream and how this looks a lot like the place where it happened. We get to the job site about 5 minutes later and this guy walks up with the dog from my dream (it looked just like it), both Dave and I are dog lovers so we stop to pet "Bubbles" and BS with her owner. He tells us that he had lost a dog a few days prior, after it was hit by a truck while he was walking it on a leash!!!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

UTHeathen wrote:
wrekkr wrote:Are there any owls out here in Idaho? I know back in sconie where I'm from the hoot owls I have around the shakk with make some really shreeky sounds sometimes. Just a thought.

Ya know, that's what my brother suggested. I think that's the most likely explanation.

That or its aliens or sasquatch, both plausible explanations :shock:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Beebs wrote:Fisher and fox in particular can make some scary ass human baby sounding calls, but I'm guessing you already knew that. I've seen/heard porcupine make some crazy noises too.

Yeah a fox was my first thought. They make some weird, weird noises. He's as experienced in the wooods as I am and he was adament that this was no fox or any animal that he's ever heard. He swore that it was the human voice of a child calling out the word mama. He said he didn't believe what he heard the first time but after hearing it twice there was no mistaking it.

What really spooked me about it was the possibility that some piece of crap had kidnapped some poor child and that the kid had managed to get away and was afraid to answer my cousin when he called out that he would help. That was more along the lines of what he was thinking but I think hearing it in the dark, out in the woods alone, gave it more of a creep factor. He never came out and said that he thought something paranormal was going on but he was definitely freaked out by it.

My wife's take on it; she said, "I know you don't pay attention to what movies are coming out and rarely watch any that I don't drag you to unless they are old westerns. He knows that too. A horror movie called Mama about two creepy little girls just came out recently. I think he found a good fishing spot and invented that weird story to keep you away from it. But he should know that nothing like that is gonna keep you from a good fishing hole." :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

UTHeathen wrote:

Strong possibility. I've heard owls make some noises that would make your hair stand on end even if you knew what was making the noise.

My uncle, dad, and me have all heard a noise similar to what you described and I am pretty sure that's an owl doing that.

In your case, amybe somebody saw you walking along in your birthday suit and it freaked em out. :D

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Where's Cotter when we need him? This thread is totally up his alley.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't believe in ghosts. Seems silly to me. That being said I have had one experience that makes me question that. About ten years ago I was managing a Barnes & Noble store in Chicago suburb. The store was in large strip mall on the main drag through town. The mall was built on property that had been owned by a woman named Mrs. Bowles who had been a longtime holdout from developers. He farm sat right smack in the middle of strip malls, auto dealers and a growing commercial district. She didn't care and she wouldn't sell. she had no children, and was convinced her other relatives would sell after she died so she left her entire estate to her church with the stipulation that they couldn't sell, I think there was a term to this of twenty years but I'm not sure. Eventually she passed away and the church took title to the property. Within a week the church went to court to have the stipulation not to sell the property voided. They succeeded and within months the shopping center was built. When I first started working there I had heard stories from the folks working at the Chili's next to us that they had come in to pots and pans thrown around the kitchen and attributed it to the ghost of Mrs. Bowles. Some of my coworkers had some tales as well. the local paper published stories every year about the haunting of the Bowles Place shopping center with stories from all sorts of people. I chalked them up as bullshit until one morning I was in the store about 5:00 AM and heard something odd. I looked over and, I am not exaggerating here, I saw about five books flying through the air and landing four feet from the shelf they had been on. There was no one in the building, nor did anyone else arrive for another hour or so. I cannot explain it but I saw it with my own eyes. I still don't believe in ghosts, but something happened and now I have at least a sliver of doubt in my mind...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Cole Younger wrote:
UTHeathen wrote:

Strong possibility. I've heard owls make some noises that would make your hair stand on end even if you knew what was making the noise.

My uncle, dad, and me have all heard a noise similar to what you described and I am pretty sure that's an owl doing that.

In your case, amybe somebody saw you walking along in your birthday suit and it freaked em out. :D

Yeah it might'a been these chicks...

But yeah probably an owl... when i was a kid my grandmother taught me how to make a hoot owl call by clasping my hands together forming a hollow between them and blowing into my thumbs. I got pretty good at it and one night I was home alone...probably 13 or 14 years old and i went outside and heard an owl hooting off in the woods a ways off. I stood out on the carport and made my call and the owl answered. We went back and forth for a little while and he kept getting closer and closer.I made a few more calls with no answer and all of a sudden in the pine tree right over my head came the most god awful scream...like two chimps having angry butt sex. I'm pretty sure it was my best ever 20 yd. sprint time back in the house. :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Bobcats and the possibly-mythical "Georgia panthers" make some blood-curdling noises. They scream like a woman and cry like a baby.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Smitty wrote:possibly-mythical "Georgia panthers"

Mythical noth'in...I'm 99% certain we had one pass through here a few years back. Unless there's something else out there that is dark grey/black, approximately 6-7 feet long (almost as long as the driveway is wide) and moves fluidly extremely fast and low to the ground.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Bobcats and the possibly-mythical "Georgia panthers" make some blood-curdling noises. They scream like a woman and cry like a baby.

It was the time of the preacher when the story began
Of the choice of a lady and the love of a man
How he loved her so dearly, he went out of his mind
When she left him for someone, she'd left behind

An' he cried like a baby
He screamed like a panther in the middle of the night
An' he saddled his pony
An he went for a ride
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Sounds like the lowly Wampus Cat. I know there were several sightings around my neck of the woods when I was growing up but I never did see one.

We also have these in WV. Tricky species.

Another possibility is SkunkApe.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

Mythical noth'in...I'm 99% certain we had one pass through here a few years back. Unless there's something else out there that is dark grey/black, approximately 6-7 feet long (almost as long as the driveway is wide) and moves fluidly extremely fast and low to the ground.

Personally I'm think they exist too, I even thought it was a well known fact since I know many people who've (supposedly) seen them, including my immediate family members. I've heard a panther or a bobcat one, and never even knew they were supposedly mythical until I saw a "Monsterquest" episode on them.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Two possibilities. Chupacabra or Liger.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

GuitarManUpstairs

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

Personally I'm think they exist too, I even thought it was a well known fact since I know many people who've (supposedly) seen them, including my immediate family members. I've heard a panther or a bobcat one, and never even knew they were supposedly mythical until I saw a "Monsterquest" episode on them.

I'm pretty sure they are definitely some around. I don't think they exist in large numbers but they are here. After I saw what i saw, i was discussing it with my uncle and he told me that a few years prior he had run into a game warden friend of his and they talked for a while and he told him that the DNR had recently relocated several cougars from out west into the Cohutta wilderness but it wasn't something they were broadcasting publicly. Also...at the time we were having sightings at our place I found a run of very large tracks that i made a plaster cast of and took back to my professors in the Biology department at Berry College. It was hard to tell but ultimately we determined that track was most likely canine based on a very subtle curvature on the palm pad although the way the digits were formed looked more feline. They also told me that there had been a few sightings on campus as well (which is plausible as - for those of you reading unfamiliar with Berry - it is one of the largest college campuses in the world at 28,000 acres, mostly undeveloped and including its own WMA. ) A game ranger was consulted about the status of local populations of cougars and they were told there were none on record....however "we wouldn't tell you if there were..."

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

I have a house on top a mountain in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. Except in the summer, it's pretty secluded, I go up year round. I have heard all kinds of unexplainable noises at night while letting the dogs out. I never really let the noises bother me unless the dogs seem spooked, when they are spooked, it really creeps me out and I usually get back in the house pretty quickly.

There have been reports of Mountain Lions up there too. Down the road a few miles at the little country store, they have a picture posted that someone took of a Mountain Lion standing in the middle of the road.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Official stance of WV DNR is no mountain lions despite multiple good reports. Too much trouble and work. I go in the Monongahela National Forest often and have heard the crazy fox screaming but also the most bloodcurdling sounds that the super locals swear are mountain lions, which they have also seen, and I believe them because their family has been on that land for 150 years.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I believe it's also illegal to kill a panther, even though they don't exist.
Makes sense.