Garden 2013 Thread.......

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

Garden 2013 Thread.......

Post by DiamondDave »

Anyone else starting their 2013 gardens?
I usually start seeds indoor around the Superbowl......

Here's what I have started......bunch of tomatoes, a couple peppers.
Also have lettuce, carrots, spinach, carrots, and onions started outdoors.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Cole Younger

Re: Garden 2013 Thread.......

Post by Cole Younger »

Yes sir.

Gonna have two varieties of corn. Maters. Bannana peppers, jalapenos, peas, watermelons, cantaloups, egg plant, and maybe some ocre. That's what I'm planning on for now.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

We used to start everything we grew. But we just rely on the farmers market and some farmer friends for starters now. I'll do kale and peas and spinach from seed...that's about it though I think. Got some serious demands on the schedule coming up so I'll try to keep it simple this year.

Asparagus is on auto pilot, garlic is done, parsnips are done, aforementioned kale, peas and spinach, annual habanjero bed of fiery death, tons 'o parsley... that's probably it for this year. Oh yea... got some ghost pepper starters promised to me this year. As if the habanjeros aren't hot enough.

Won't be long now (despite the shit ton of snow headed this way)
Beebs is not a ragey man

grapico

Post by grapico »

Just put my seed order in with Baker Creek. Growing a little bit of everything as per usual. I always seem to go overboard and then later regret when I have to weed 24/7. Trying a couple okra varieties this year. Moving peppers and maters to containers and growing more peas/beans/squash/corn in the beds.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

grapico wrote:Just put my seed order in with Baker Creek.

I've ordered from them a bunch over the years. Their varieties seem somehow more heirloomy.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We're going to do it for the first time ever this year. I think the line up includes heirloom tomatoes, onions, peppers (several varieties) and cucumbers.

Going to be leaning heavily on this place:
http://www.seedsavers.org/

grapico

Post by grapico »

Beebs wrote:

I've ordered from them a bunch over the years. Their varieties seem somehow more heirloomy.

That's all they do. They believe in saving seeds and preserving the varieties. They actually encourage customers to save their seed. I think I am going to order some sweet potato varieties from Southern Exposure.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I better get on it, I start my seeds under shop lights in the garage. Yes it is that time!

I've planted my tomatoes in wheat bales for the past few years with good results. Tough to keep them watered, so I installed a drip system.

My winter garden is about shot from the warm weather in january. I have cilantro, arugula, bok choy, mustard and lettuce, but it's all bolting.

I also hate to but have to cut 2 oaks for more sunlight.

Anyone know about permaculture? I would like to go in that direction.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

grapico wrote:
Beebs wrote:

That's all they do. They believe in saving seeds and preserving the varieties. They actually encourage customers to save their seed. I think I am going to order some sweet potato varieties from Southern Exposure.

Sounds exactly like the place we're going to get all our stuff from. The idea of heirloom vegetables was just introduced to me in the past couple of years, but I really like it and think it makes more interesting/better stuff.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

It's still early for us, but I am plotting what I can shift, eliminate and fit in. I save a lot of my old seeds from last year, but also order organic online (also Baker Creek, but some others as well). I am going to expand further into containers than I ever have this year, I had such good luck with several varieties of pepper plants in big black pots. And I have one shady, clay-y raised bed that I am bound and determined to make produce, but am still trying to figure out what. Despite multiple applications of hay, peat, and compost, it always settles back to brick.

I really use the heck out of our extension office planting calendar. They specify sub zones and everything. Like, if you are below Rt. 60 plant this week but above wait two more weeks. I don't know what other states have but we are lucky!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Almost all those peat seed starters in the first thread have sprouted.......happy days.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

Hud wrote:I better get on it, I start my seeds under shop lights in the garage. Yes it is that time!

I've planted my tomatoes in wheat bales for the past few years with good results. Tough to keep them watered, so I installed a drip system.

My winter garden is about shot from the warm weather in january. I have cilantro, arugula, bok choy, mustard and lettuce, but it's all bolting.

A great way to remove your stumps would be to innoculate them with mushroom mycelium

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

wrekkr wrote:
Hud wrote:I better get on it, I start my seeds under shop lights in the garage. Yes it is that time!

A great way to remove your stumps would be to innoculate them with mushroom mycelium

or dynamite
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just saw this article on vinegar as a safe alternative to Roundup for weed killing.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/ ... t-roundup/

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to try it on some weeds coming through the driveway.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Hud

Post by Hud »

wrekkr wrote:

Great idea, though I don't think the stumps are actually dead, they are sprouting new shoots. I liked the idea of growing mushrooms and I have some white oak logs I could do this with. Anyone tried it?
My garden is small and doing great this year, we've had a lot of rain in NC.
Had some kickass squash fritters at breakfast and supper yesterday. Going to do Paula Deens chard soup w/ corn bread today, it's a great soup and a good way to use up the chard that keeps growing fast.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

This weeks tomato harvest so far......