your 5 favorite things RIGHT NOW

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: your 5 favorite things RIGHT NOW

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:5) The fact that The Pinto has come up in discussion on 3DD :D What's next, the Edsel?

I'm thinking maybe the Chevy Nova under a thread called "great moments in marketing".

I'm also wondering what lurleen's gonna do to u when she sees that u mentioned her once and the weather twice. :lol: :lol: Could be the Mississippi Shakes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

#1. My 9 year old niece grew 2 inches in the last year!!!!! she going be a giant!!!!! :D :D :D her mother is 4'11'' and well Sarah Jane is just about looking her in the eye!!!! Fingers crossed she will contine to grow taller!!!!

2. new bed being delivered today ahhhh the glory of king size
3. warm weather might just be on the horizon, maybe, sort of....it could happen!!!!
4. Our Snowflake comes home soon from her freshman year for the summer (the litter box is calling her name :lol: )
5. the lazy slack jawed, tv watching, facebook crawl, calling in sick every other week POS, has left the company :D
6. The ax is swinging far and wide at work and maybe I will be getting the next year off, one can only hope!!!!

and the usuall kittens, puppies, and fish named Barnaby :D
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

1. Meeting lots of cool people over the weekend that share my passion for music. Record Store Day has it's downsides but getting to know the people you're standing in line with at 6:30 in the morning isn't one of them.
2. My wallet is much lighter but I've been thoroughly enjoying my RSD bounty, especially the R.E.M. Live In Greensboro EP and the Old 97's with Waylon Jennings.
3. All the great live music I got to see over the weekend: Aoife O'Donovan (who was joined on one song by Milk Carton Kids, Greg Humphreys (Dillion Fence, Hobex) and a couple of bands that are splinter groups of sorts from Tift Merritt's original Carbines and Chatham County Line, Tonk (fronted by Tift's bassist/vocalist Jay Brown and Greg Readling [Chatham County Line, Carbines] on keys) and The Jackets which includes Chandler Holt and John Teer from Chatham County Line.
4. First trip of the year to the coast is not too far in the offing. It's always a great way to recharge my batteries.
5. Let's just say I could get used to an LJ free 3DD.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

1 My new Hello Kitty ear buds
2. While they maybe Hello Kitty they actually fit in my delicate shell like ears
3. GIN
4. LARGE AMOUNTS OF "HAPPY" ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!!!
5. Just realizing that a numerous amount of the "techies" that have moved into my area of the office are so:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:5) The fact that The Pinto has come up in discussion on 3DD :D What's next, the Edsel?

I'm thinking maybe the Chevy Nova under a thread called "great moments in marketing".

I'm also wondering what lurleen's gonna do to u when she sees that u mentioned her once and the weather twice. :lol: :lol: Could be the Mississippi Shakes.

Ask him how he likes our weather now!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

5. The marvelous spring weather we've been treated to for the past week or so.
1. Watching your son overcome more obstacles than any one person should have to face in a lifetime to play Hamlet. And not just play Hamlet, but inhabit Hamlet, dominate the stage and captivate the audience. A thrill of a lifetime and I hope every parent gets to experience something like it, in whatever activity, at least once.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:5. The marvelous spring weather we've been treated to for the past week or so.
1. Watching your son overcome more obstacles than any one person should have to face in a lifetime to play Hamlet. And not just play Hamlet, but inhabit Hamlet, dominate the stage and captivate the audience. A thrill of a lifetime and I hope every parent gets to experience something like it, in whatever activity, at least once.

cool on #1, btb. awesome.

but #5? I could it stand it to be at least 10 degrees warmer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, I did say spring, not summer ;)

ps Green Street Studios in Cambridge right around the corner, more or less, from the Middle East, tonite and next Friday & Sat. Not suitable for children.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Through the miracle of the internet, I found my high school best friend. Her name was too common to find her on FB, and she'd fallen out of touch with all our old friends. It's been more than ten years since I've seen or talked to her, but I was thinking about her last night because today is her birthday. Suddenly, the name of her business jumped into my head and I did a search on it and, voila! LinkedIn comes through.

So today we are corresponding. We became FB friends and I tagged a bunch of our high school buddies and they went apeshit. Most of them haven't seen her in far longer than I. So now she's having a warm, glowy birthday and we have a chance to get to know each other again.

8-)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

one belt loop wrote:Through the miracle of the internet, I found my high school best friend. Her name was too common to find her on FB, and she'd fallen out of touch with all our old friends. It's been more than ten years since I've seen or talked to her, but I was thinking about her last night because today is her birthday. Suddenly, the name of her business jumped into my head and I did a search on it and, voila! LinkedIn comes through.

So today we are corresponding. We became FB friends and I tagged a bunch of our high school buddies and they went apeshit. Most of them haven't seen her in far longer than I. So now she's having a warm, glowy birthday and we have a chance to get to know each other again.

8-)

That sort of thing is the biggest upside to FB to me. I don't really stay in touch with a lot of people I knew from high school but catching up with my friends from college was something that never would have happened without FB.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Batting Average-.402 Led Team
Slugging %-.432 Led Team
OB %-.539 Led Team
Runs Scored-21 Led Team
Unanimous selection to 1st team Fastpitch All Conference Team for my Soonerette.
A sophomore, and one of the hardest working kids I know.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

4sooner wrote:Batting Average-.402 Led Team
Slugging %-.432 Led Team
OB %-.539 Led Team
Runs Scored-21 Led Team
Unanimous selection to 1st team Fastpitch All Conference Team for my Soonerette.

Nice! I can tell she has an awfully proud papa!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:Batting Average-.402 Led Team
Slugging %-.432 Led Team
OB %-.539 Led Team
Runs Scored-21 Led Team

She needs an agent.

Congrats, soonerette, on a great year!!

Be happy you have the sooner for a father. I have no doubt that mine would have said something like "if you worked harder you could have made all-state" :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

It's just one, but it feels like five. My daughter is a champ!

So after church (I just wrote work instead, which might tell you something) I took the daughter, at her request, to the Purple Cow on Cantrell here in Little Rock for lunch. She was listening to music and I was eavesdropping (not by choice until something caught my ear) on the next table, when a girl in (I later saw) a Pan-Hellenic Council shirt said something about it being hard to be a single white girl somewhere or other, I guess at the University here in town but maybe somewhere else.

There are places that could go that wouldn't be terrible, but you can't get to most of them from here. Since I'm a fool and a glutton for punishment, I tuned in, but I couldn't hear her clearly after that. Possibly she lowered her voice, which suggests but doesn't prove she was going someplace unpleasant with it. Apparently what was on my mind was on my face, because the kid said to me, "Daddy? Is something wrong?" This took me aback. I thought she'd been listening on the ear buds and drawing on the menu and not paying attention to me.

I said, "I was just following an unpleasant line of thought. No big deal." I paused, and then I said, "But I really appreciate you saying that, for two reasons. First, it was perceptive and caring of you to notice I was in a bad mood. I appreciate you doing that." I started to choke up just a little but got past it possibly without her noticing (yeah, right). "And second, you knocked me off thinking about something unhappy that I couldn't do anything about and that wasn't doing me or anybody any good, and I appreciate that, too."

She's a great kid. I couldn't be prouder of her.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

1. Digging deeper into Big Star.
2. Being gifted with a ticket to see Merle Haggard with Tift Merritt on Saturday night.
3. Day party for Hopscotch coming together nicely.
4. Currently 68° in Raleigh in late August. That's virtually unheard of in this part of the world where it's usually sweltering hot this time of year.
5. Without over examining it, I believe this to be one of the best years for live music that I've ever experienced. Just when I think I've seen one of the best shows of the year, another one comes along to top it. A few off the top of my head: DBT's, Wussy, Schoolkids 40th Anniversary celebration, Let's Active reunion, Big Star's Third / #1 Record and Merle Haggard with Tift Merritt.

Kudzu Guillotine

John Howie, Jr. & the Rosewood Bluff at the Berkeley Cafe in Raleigh at the 4th Annual Guitartown Hopscotch Day Party
Photo by Dave Brainard

1. 4th Guitartown Hopscotch Day Party a huge success (see above). It's been a tremendous privilege to have had a hand in curating this party for the past 4 years. While it was wonderful to have the previous three at Sadlack's (R.I.P.) and Schoolkids Records (years 2 & 3) it may be an even better feeling to be downtown at the Berkeley in the heart of Hopscotch.
2. Confirmation received that I'll be working a volunteer shift backstage at Farm Aid in Raleigh this weekend.
3. Writing gig secured for locally based website.
4. Putting on our first "Guitartown Presents" concert in I don't know how long when Caleb Caudle opens for Lydia Loveless at Motorco in Durham later this month.
5. Potential return to radio if and when low power radio station WKRP (yes, that's their real call letters) is able to raise enough money for equipment so they can go on the air.

I've felt like I've been up against the ropes for far too long. It's a huge relief to be able to post something in this thread instead of the 5 Things I Despise one for a change.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice, KG :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Nice, KG :D

X2. Good stuff!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Just one--our snow day hasn't been announced yet--but isn't this a beauty?

Just look at that smile!

UPDATE: And we aren't getting a snow day. Sigh. But that picture up there is still a thing of beauty.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

1-5
My baby girl,the soonerette, signed an NCAA National Letter Of Intent to play softball on scholarship at NCAA Div II Arkansas Tech University today.
I'm somewhat proud of her. Decided in 7th grade she wanted to play college ball and worked her ass off from then on. A true utility player. Middle infielder/outfielder. Depending on what her team needs. 4 time All conference , All region , 2nd alternate all state.
.440 career BA
AND a 3.7 career GPA, so far.

Clams

Post by Clams »

4sooner wrote:1-5
My baby girl,the soonerette, signed an NCAA National Letter Of Intent to play softball on scholarship at NCAA Div II Arkansas Tech University today.
I'm somewhat proud of her. Decided in 7th grade she wanted to play college ball and worked her ass off from then on. A true utility player. Middle infielder/outfielder. Depending on what her team needs. 4 time All conference , All region , 2nd alternate all state.
.440 career BA
That's awesome Rick

Hard to believe the "children of 9B/3DD" are all grown up. I remember them all as babies and little kids - which they were when I signed on here almost eight years (!!!) ago.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:1-5
.440 career BA
HEY! That's my soonerette you're talking about there, 4sooner. She's no utility player by any definition. She has the ability to play multiple positions is what she has. And she can bat 1st and steal a base for ya or bat 3rd and drive those ducks off the pond. Utility player. Sheesh.

And nice work on the academic side.

And don't forget: Homecoming queen.

A real triple threat.

Congrats to all the 4sooners!!! Now what are you going to do w/ all the tuition money you just saved? :D

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Awesome work Sooner! Every right to be proud.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Bringing my daughter home from gymnastics just a little while ago. I look in the rear view mirror and she's sitting there in her child's seat playing air drums to Gimme Back My Dog by Slobberbone.

That's one through five for me right now.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:Bringing my daughter home from gymnastics just a little while ago. I look in the rear view mirror and she's sitting there in her child's seat playing air drums to Gimme Back My Dog by Slobberbone.

That's one through five for me right now.
:D
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Injecting some much needed positivity into my week

1. I'm inching towards a book deal! Raising the prospect of an end to strip lit corporate hell!
2. It's about sports!
3. My cycling season starts on Sunday!
4. Pancake party with my cycling buddies on Saturday!
5. The collected works of Lucero!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Injecting some much needed positivity into my week

1. I'm inching towards a book deal! Raising the prospect of an end to strip lit corporate hell!
2. It's about sports!
Well that's exciting! Good luck w/ the book deal.

John A Arkansawyer

In no particular order:

Flea

Post by Flea »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Injecting some much needed positivity into my week

2. It's about sports!

Is it safe to Google "pancake party" with the wife in the room?
Now it's dark.