Thread for celebrating creative douchebaggery, outstanding l

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GuitarManUpstairs

Re: Thread for celebrating creative douchebaggery, outstandi

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Damn Smitty....glad you got that off your chest. I feel really bad for you if you actually watched even one of those to completion.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Damn Smitty....glad you got that off your chest. I feel really bad for you if you actually watched even one of those to completion.

Well TBH, some of them weren't that bad if you muted them.
I like women just a little on the trashy side.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Smitty wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Damn Smitty....glad you got that off your chest. I feel really bad for you if you actually watched even one of those to completion.

Well TBH, some of them weren't that bad if you muted them.
I like women just a little on the trashy side.

I really did have 2nd thoughts about using the word 'completion'... :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Iceland is looking better and better
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

LuthierJustin wrote:Iceland is looking better and better

I was gonna point all the UGA references, but since LJ & I found something we agree on, I won't mess it up.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:how thin is the line between these dudes and the red dirt crowd?

Very thin.
Dierks Bentley is the link.

In all fairness, Ragweed/Stoney Larue/Wade Bowen & the like are miles better than these fuckheads, but this is the commercialization of the "red dirt" genre.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty good characterization. I know a lot of folks consider Hayes Carll part of the Red Dirt thing. One of my best friends lives in Dallas, and his wife is totally into Hayes Carll, but she also loves Casey Donahew, who definitely comes a little closer to Dierks Bentley type stuff, but is definitely better.

Didn't realize Dierks Bentley was considered the link between Nashville and that though.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:
Yeah, that seems like a pretty good characterization. I know a lot of folks consider Hayes Carll part of the Red Dirt thing. One of my best friends lives in Dallas, and his wife is totally into Hayes Carll, but she also loves Casey Donahew, who definitely comes a little closer to Dierks Bentley type stuff, but is definitely better.

Didn't realize Dierks Bentley was considered the link between Nashville and that though.

I don't see how anyone could lump Hayes in with the "red dirt" crowd, who are related to each other in one way or another (by either Cody Canada or Mike McClure). They make decent music, some better than others, but that scene definitely influenced what's going on in Nashville with peckerheads like Aldean, Bentley, etc.
Dierks started out in the red dirt scene.

list of red dirt artists off the top of my head:

Cross Canadian Ragweed (fairly good, although pretty commercial. Big DBT fans - there's some vid's on youtube of Isbell jamming with them. Huge in the Texas/Oklahoma scene, although they're no more: now it's Cody Canada and the Departed.)
Randy Rogers Band (about half a degree from the CMT dirt road douchebags)
Stoney Larue (think he might be the most talented songwriter of all, from what I've heard anyway)
Wade Bowen (not really familiar)
Jason Boland (has one good song (Pearl Snaps) but otherwise no different than any redneck you can see at any open mic night anywhere in the south)
Reckless Kelly (started out pretty good, but quickly declined into suckitude. Ditto for their clone band (actually the lead singers brother's band, Micky and the Motorcars)
Doug Moreland (decent, nothing special)
Jack Ingram (best of the group other than Stoney, although has went extremely commercial for the last few albums)

Chris Knight, Charlie & Bruce Robison (and Kelly Willis), Ryan Bingham, Todd Snider (by the way of Jack Ingram), Ray Wylie Hubbard, and the Band of Heathens are all guilty by association with the red dirt crowd.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:

It took me a long time to just get up some words to respond to this.

What the hell is this? How did redneck rap get started and is there anybody that thinks it's cool? I have a feeling I'm gonna hate myself for asking that question.

I'm offended that they referenced my Georgia Bulldawgs.

This is an all time low.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:It took me a long time to just get up some words to respond to this.

What the hell is this? How did redneck rap get started and is there anybody that thinks it's cool? I have a feeling I'm gonna hate myself for asking that question.

This is an all time low.

Unfortunately there are a lot of young, impressionable folks who like that shit. One of the bands, the Lacs, played at the newly opened Mud Park right across the Ga line from my house on NYE. I got teenage nieces and nephews who eat that shit up.

I've failed as an uncle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i need a mud jug.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:these deserve to be here too

Sadly I had prior knowledge of Colt Ford and Brantley Gilbert (the guy "singing" in the Dirt Road Anthem "song").

Six years or so back a buddy of mine decided owning a bar would be cool. It was a little hole in the wall on the Flint River down here. It was a way for he and I and another friend to play live music occaisionally more than anything else.

He booked other people to play too and one night there was some guy named Brantley Gilbert booked there. I didn't think much about him other than he had very average singing abilities, played the same old bad modern country with the occaisional obligatory "Folsom Prison Blues" cover thrown in to try and fein some authenticity. That and that I thought his little chain wallet and baggy jeans were funny ways of trying to show what an "outlaw" he was. Well a few months later he played around here again and he had some fat boy following him around. We assumed the guy was supposed to be his security and had a good laugh about that. Little did we know. The fat boy gets on stage and interrupts one f Brantley's cheesey originals and starts rapping.

Yall I've never been on drugs but it has to feel a lot like that.

My buddy has since sold the bar but he had enough dealings with Brantley Gilbert to know he is first class jackass with an ego that far exceeds his limited talent.

But from what I understand they are now rising stars in country music.

That is what I point out when people ask me why I don't like contemporary mainstream country.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:It took me a long time to just get up some words to respond to this.

This is an all time low.

Unfortunately there are a lot of young, impressionable folks who like that shit. One of the bands, the Lacs, played at the newly opened Mud Park right across the Ga line from my house on NYE. I got teenage nieces and nephews who eat that shit up.

I've failed as an uncle.

You can only do so much man. I have gotten my niece listening to Bloodkin. She still can't digest DBT but...baby steps.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've also got a 22 year old nephew who loves DBT (and the Dexateens and just about everyone I've introduced him to) and a 17 year old niece that's big into DBT and especially Todd Snider, becuz she's a stoner.
Funny, the ones that dig shit like above all love one DBT song: Outfit.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I've also got a 22 year old nephew who loves DBT (and the Dexateens and just about everyone I've introduced him to) and a 17 year old niece that's big into DBT and especially Todd Snider, becuz she's a stoner.

The scary thing is, on that MudJug song, before the "music" started and they were all standing around talking, just going off of things like how they were dressed, talked, what they drove, etc., they looked like people I would know and be friends with.

Jeez. But by the grace of God I am not one of them.

Interesting what you had to say about Outfit. I still love that song but I've had a similar experience. People that I know whose taste in music I tend to question, that's the DBT song they latch onto.

I guess it's just easily accessible but it takes some of the shine off of it for me if I'm not careful.

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:I've also got a 22 year old nephew who loves DBT (and the Dexateens and just about everyone I've introduced him to) and a 17 year old niece that's big into DBT and especially Todd Snider, becuz she's a stoner.

...Interesting what you had to say about Outfit. I still love that song but I've had a similar experience. People that I know whose taste in music I tend to question, that's the DBT song they latch onto.

I guess it's just easily accessible but it takes some of the shine off of it for me if I'm not careful.

I get the same vibe with Outfit and it has come to a point where I almost always skip it now, which is a shame. It happens with other artists, too. David Allan Coe has tons of outstanding material that no one around me has ever heard because they can't get past "You Never Even Call Me by My Name" and "The Ride." Both are outstanding songs, but these DBs have flat worn them out on me. I feel like if I listen to them, I'm morphing into "one of them" and I'll be wearing distressed skinny jeans, getting a Ducks Unlimited tattoo, and throwing my daddy's couch on the bon fire in the boon docks in no time. Now I skip them and go straight to songs like "Canteen of Water" or "Spotlight" and life is so much better.
The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

gutshot wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

...Interesting what you had to say about Outfit. I still love that song but I've had a similar experience. People that I know whose taste in music I tend to question, that's the DBT song they latch onto.

I get the same vibe with Outfit and it has come to a point where I almost always skip it now, which is a shame. It happens with other artists, too. David Allan Coe has tons of outstanding material that no one around me has ever heard because they can't get past "You Never Even Call Me by My Name" and "The Ride." Both are outstanding songs, but these DBs have flat worn them out on me. I feel like if I listen to them, I'm morphing into "one of them" and I'll be wearing distressed skinny jeans, getting a Ducks Unlimited tattoo, and throwing my daddy's couch on the bon fire in the boon docks in no time. Now I skip them and go straight to songs like "Canteen of Water" or "Spotlight" and life is so much better.

I try not to let somebody else liking a song ruin my enjoyment of a song but the two DAC songs you named are two that I have just long since been burnt out on. For me it's not so much who likes them as it is my having heard them a million times from every bar band I've ever seen play to folks at parties who rock out to them and Sweet Home Alabama like it's the first time they've heard them. I just don't see how people don't tire of never hearing anything new.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I don't see how anyone could lump Hayes in with the "red dirt" crowd, who are related to each other in one way or another (by either Cody Canada or Mike McClure). They make decent music, some better than others, but that scene definitely influenced what's going on in Nashville with peckerheads like Aldean, Bentley, etc.
Dierks started out in the red dirt scene.

list of red dirt artists off the top of my head:

Cross Canadian Ragweed (fairly good, although pretty commercial. Big DBT fans - there's some vid's on youtube of Isbell jamming with them. Huge in the Texas/Oklahoma scene, although they're no more: now it's Cody Canada and the Departed.)
Randy Rogers Band (about half a degree from the CMT dirt road douchebags)
Stoney Larue (think he might be the most talented songwriter of all, from what I've heard anyway)
Wade Bowen (not really familiar)
Jason Boland (has one good song (Pearl Snaps) but otherwise no different than any redneck you can see at any open mic night anywhere in the south)
Reckless Kelly (started out pretty good, but quickly declined into suckitude. Ditto for their clone band (actually the lead singers brother's band, Micky and the Motorcars)
Doug Moreland (decent, nothing special)
Jack Ingram (best of the group other than Stoney, although has went extremely commercial for the last few albums)

Chris Knight, Charlie & Bruce Robison (and Kelly Willis), Ryan Bingham, Todd Snider (by the way of Jack Ingram), Ray Wylie Hubbard, and the Band of Heathens are all guilty by association with the red dirt crowd.

I'm just saying I know a lot of folks in Texas who love Hayes, and love the rest of the artists you listed, and they all see them as non-commercial Texas Country.

That's all. The only Red Dirt artists (by your list) that I've listened to in more than passing are Cross Canadian and Stoney Larue. Both are decent, but not life changing or anything.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Why did I look at this thread this morning?

"Take me on your buggy. Can you take me on your buggy?"
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I was pretty into Red Dirt at one time. My wife loves it and she turned me on to it.

I was into it the heaviest for about a year. As Smitty mentioned, Cross Canadian Ragweed were pretty vocal about being DBT fans so I always liked them for that reason. There music is pretty good. Not great but good.

My wife likes Stoney Larue a lot and Randy Rogers too.

After about a year, I sort of lost interest because most of it was/is just ok and most of the artists sound pretty much the same.

I don't connect Chris Knight with Red Dirt at all. I was surprised to see that.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I know folks that have a very strong disdain for David Allan Coe but none of it stems from the overplay of 'You Never Even Called Me My Name", it's because they strongly associate him with being a racist.

Back when Hayes Carll released Trouble In Mind, no less an authority than Roscoe Ambel referred to him as "Texas Theme Park Music".

If this thread gets anymore off-topic does that mean it gets moved the Other Bands section?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I wouldn't see Chris Knight as Red Dirt either. To me, Red Dirt has more to do with being from TX/OK, and being really popular in the Plains states. All of the artists Smitty listed seem to tour extensively between the Mississippi and the Rockies, and are based out of Texoma.

Chris Knight is from Kentucky, and seems more tied to the South. His sound is different too. Incorporates a lot more rock and roll.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know folks that have a very strong disdain for David Allan Coe but none of it stems from the overplay of 'You Never Even Called Me My Name", it's because they strongly associate him with being a racist.Back when Hayes Carll released Trouble In Mind, no less an authority than Roscoe Ambel referred to him as "Texas Theme Park Music".

If this thread gets anymore off-topic does that mean it gets moved the Other Bands section?

This sort of brought us back on topic. DAC's racist songs are very douchebaggy, but I don't let that ruin some of his other ones for me.

I just can't do it. If I let the views and stupid things that come out of the mouths of artists stop me from enjoying them, I wouldn't be able to listen to any of the people I like.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'd say maybe 1/3 of the customers I see in my store asking for rap are white folks, and they listen to THE WORST rap ever. Machine Gun Kelly, Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, etc.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:I wouldn't see Chris Knight as Red Dirt either. To me, Red Dirt has more to do with being from TX/OK, and being really popular in the Plains states. All of the artists Smitty listed seem to tour extensively between the Mississippi and the Rockies, and are based out of Texoma.

Chris Knight is from Kentucky, and seems more tied to the South. His sound is different too. Incorporates a lot more rock and roll.

I agree that the association seems unfair, but it is there. Read almost any article on Knight; he's to red dirt what DBT are to southern rock. I imagine it's mostly because his fanbase is based in Texas/Oklahoma and he tours extensively with red dirt artists (in fact he just wrapped up an acoustic tour with Wade Bowen and Cody Canada).
Hell, just google Chris Knight and red dirt.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:I wouldn't see Chris Knight as Red Dirt either. To me, Red Dirt has more to do with being from TX/OK, and being really popular in the Plains states. All of the artists Smitty listed seem to tour extensively between the Mississippi and the Rockies, and are based out of Texoma.

I agree that the association seems unfair, but it is there. Read almost any article on Knight; he's to red dirt what DBT are to southern rock. I imagine it's mostly because his fanbase is based in Texas/Oklahoma and he tours extensively with red dirt artists (in fact he just wrapped up an acoustic tour with Wade Bowen and Cody Canada).
Hell, just google Chris Knight and red dirt.

Hmm.

The Red Dirt guys tour really heavy in the central states, beyond Texoma (ALL those guys seem to play Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas on a regular basis) but I haven't noticed Chris Knight coming through as much. Maybe he has, and I just didn't catch it as he hasn't been on my radar until recently?

Regardless, as long as his music doesn't change, I don't care who he's associated with.

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

Cole Younger wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know folks that have a very strong disdain for David Allan Coe but none of it stems from the overplay of 'You Never Even Called Me My Name", it's because they strongly associate him with being a racist.Back when Hayes Carll released Trouble In Mind, no less an authority than Roscoe Ambel referred to him as "Texas Theme Park Music".

This sort of brought us back on topic. DAC's racist songs are very douchebaggy, but I don't let that ruin some of his other ones for me.

I just can't do it. If I let the views and stupid things that come out of the mouths of artists stop me from enjoying them, I wouldn't be able to listen to any of the people I like.

It's really unfortunate, too, that "racist" is the first thing to come to mind when DAC is mentioned. He has refuted that claim for years, saying the X-rated albums were supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Maybe he's being sincere about it. Maybe not...who knows? He's got to expect that label to be applied to him I guess. All I know is he has an incredible catalogue of country perfection that slipped through the cracks. Thank the lord for the Bear Family re-issues.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:

I was joshin' in regards to the thread being off-topic since it's largely been about music but it's in the Everything Else section of the board.

Only thing about Coe is that he's come out against those bootleg records that contain some of his most offensive material yet he sends a mixed message by selling them through his website and at his concerts. If he was truly ashamed of them it seems like he would do more to distance himself from them.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:I'd say maybe 1/3 of the customers I see in my store asking for rap are white folks, and they listen to THE WORST rap ever. Machine Gun Kelly, Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, etc.

Oh Lord. Talk about douchbaggery, Insane Clown Posse. I think super awful rap like that rivals super awful country in its douchebaggery factor.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'd say maybe 1/3 of the customers I see in my store asking for rap are white folks, and they listen to THE WORST rap ever. Machine Gun Kelly, Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, etc.

Oh Lord. Talk about douchbaggery, Insane Clown Posse. I think super awful rap like that rivals super awful country in its douchebaggery factor.

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work? I don't wanna talk to no scientist, those fuckers be lyin and gettin me pissed
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

I was joshin' in regards to the thread being off-topic since it's largely been about music but it's in the Everything Else section of the board.

Only thing about Coe is that he's come out against those bootleg records that contain some of his most offensive material yet he sends a mixed message by selling them through his website and at his concerts. If he was truly ashamed of them it seems like he would do more to distance himself from them.

His response to that exact argument from an interview in 2000:

Yet Coe, who says he served 22 years in various reform schools and prisons for crimes ranging from armed robbery to car theft (he also claimed to have been on death row for killing another inmate), now sells the albums via his Web site and concerts. For a pretty penny, too.

Still, he says that that's beyond his doing, that he doesn't make a dime on them.

"I don't make one cent off my songs that I wrote," Coe says.

Not even his biggest songwriting success, "Take This Job and Shove It," a 1977 hit for Johnny Paycheck. "That was all taken away in bankruptcy proceedings. All the songs on the X-rated albums were sold. I don't own that stuff anymore. I have nothing to do with that stuff. They have to give me credit as the songwriter, but I don't make one cent."

And as for sales of the album itself?

"Even with my shows, my own concessions at my shows, I gave my rights to my road manager Bruce Smith," Coe claims. "He sells all the concessions, and they pay me $1,000 a week from which I pay the fuel and motel bills. So really, the only income I make is from the road."

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/ar ... sp?xid=360

Again, take it for what it's worth...