past FIFA (world cup) NOW: le tour '10

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: world cup: south africa 2010

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:Borrowed from the drinking thread...

Zip City wrote:Wow, what's gotten into cortez's craw tonight? Snark city....

Snark it up everyone! :)

Nothing wrong with spiking the kool aid every now & then.

On a more serious note, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for a moderator to engage in such snarky behavior. Zip is still the Negative Nelly, easily-baited, post-before-you-have all the facts/information, tunnel-visioned, know-it-all he was back in the 9B days. I've perused several message boards over the years and have never encountered behavior like this from a moderator. Just sayin'...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:
Snark it up everyone! :)

Nothing wrong with spiking the kool aid every now & then.

On a more serious note, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for a moderator to engage in such snarky behavior. Zip is still the Negative Nelly, easily-baited, post-before-you-have all the facts/information, tunnel-visioned, know-it-all he was back in the 9B days. I've perused several message boards over the years and have never encountered behavior like this from a moderator. Just sayin'...

your displeasure with me as a moderator has been apparent since day one of 3DD. feel free to take it up with Jonicont

Showtime!
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ahem, anybody notice that there was quite a soccer game today between the US & Slovenia? It's really too bad the refs decided both games so far today, but w/ that rather large caveat, this was one hell of an exciting game. Even the English fans we were watching w/ were all caught up in it (ok, mostly because they calculated that a US win would be better for England, but still... :) ).

We were at Gordon Ramsay's gastropub in Wapping (you cant make these places up, like the end of one of the tube lines: Cockfosters), had a great meal, took pudding (that's dessert to you yankees) in the bar and watched the game w/ the English crazies over more than one pint. An absolutely great time was had by all. Until and except for that bizarre call against the US nullifying the 3d goal and what would have been one of the 2 or 3 greatest moments in the history of US soccer.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

I've only now seen what happened. If that ref had made that call against any country besides the US, he would be fearing for his life right now.
Inexplicable.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

I only watched Germany-Serbia yesterday...it was actually pretty good, although the German team wasn't nearly as good as they were against Australia, most likely because the Serbs played a great game tactically in the defence (and the fact that the Serbs are much better than the Aussies). And, of course, because of the ref giving Klose two yellow cards early, that wasn't really deserved (a bunch of minor stuff, but not nearly worthy of a red card). Well, things will get interesting now...

and yes! Holland just scored against Japan 8-)
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

shuffle wrote:I only watched Germany-Serbia yesterday...it was actually pretty good, although the German team wasn't nearly as good as they were against Australia, most likely because the Serbs played a great game tactically in the defence (and the fact that the Serbs are much better than the Aussies). And, of course, because of the ref giving Klose two yellow cards early, that wasn't really deserved (a bunch of minor stuff, but not nearly worthy of a red card). Well, things will get interesting now...

and yes! Holland just scored against Japan 8-)

Yep, nice goal by Holland (and about time, too lol). Refs gave that game to Serbia yesterday. The Serbians played well for the part of the game i saw, no doubt about that, but those calls early in the game determined the outcome.

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

so all i picked up on this last game i was watching highlights at the airport tavern and could barely here what was going on.
apparently the last goal got negated because some ref called a foul?
what, i thought you could 'check' n shit in soccer like in hockey, no?
sorry, i don't watch soccer and am not much of a bandwagon person, i was simply watching it because thats what was on the tv and found it somewhat interesting because it was the USA on tv. zip city disclaimer, please don't rip on me
they were highlighting slow-mo plays n circling something that was going on, but i could hear what they were saying.
if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me that would be mighty nice of you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

wrekkr wrote:so all i picked up on this last game i was watching highlights at the airport tavern and could barely here what was going on.
apparently the last goal got negated because some ref called a foul?
what, i thought you could 'check' n shit in soccer like in hockey, no?
sorry, i don't watch soccer and am not much of a bandwagon person, i was simply watching it because thats what was on the tv and found it somewhat interesting because it was the USA on tv. zip city disclaimer, please don't rip on me
they were highlighting slow-mo plays n circling something that was going on, but i could hear what they were saying.
if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me that would be mighty nice of you.

Assuming you're talking about the negated play, it was a "set piece", i.e. a free kick where the kicker has an unimpeded right to kick the ball and the offensive team will usually run some kind of diagrammed play. As is usual, there was a lot of jostling, pushing, shoving, grabbing, to some extent legal, to some extent not. There was a clear foul on another American on the front line - Bradley which may have been what was circled. If not, they may have circled Edu, the guy who "scored" the non-goal, presumably to hilite that as closely as you like, u can't see him commit any foul.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

what's up with this kick-ball tournament? we ain't got a dog in the hunt. fuck soccer or football whatever

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

So pleased that ref got a poor rating and won't call anymore WC games. Douche.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

New Zealand had 1-0 against Italy :lol: then Italy got a penalty about a minute ago :/ now it's 1-1
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

never going back wrote:So pleased that ref got a poor rating and won't call anymore WC games. Douche.

yeah, i bet thats just grinding on you being a soccer player and what not. . .

thanks btb

sg207

Post by sg207 »

So if the US gets another tie, and England loses, the US can advance by winning zero games. Something seems odd in that you may not even have to win in order to advance.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

shuffle wrote:New Zealand had 1-0 against Italy :lol: then Italy got a penalty about a minute ago :/ now it's 1-1

This was a strange game. I swear the NZ guy was offsides for that first goal. I can't believe it wasn't challenged at all. And I thought Italy played dirty until I saw NZ. Italy's super dramatic but NZ is deer-tay, so many elbows.

joelle

Post by joelle »

never going back wrote:
shuffle wrote:New Zealand had 1-0 against Italy :lol: then Italy got a penalty about a minute ago :/ now it's 1-1

This was a strange game. I swear the NZ guy was offsides for that first goal. I can't believe it wasn't challenged at all. And I thought Italy played dirty until I saw NZ. Italy's super dramatic but NZ is deer-tay, so many elbows.

speaking of elbows and dirty...

Kaka's red card 'totally unjust,' Dunga says i agree
Brazil Coach Dunga said the red card assessed to Kaka in Brazil's 3-1 win over the Ivory Coast was "totally unjust."
Kaka received his second yellow card in the final minutes for pushing Kader Keita, who sold the foul by falling to the ground and grabbing his face.this acting was oscar worthy, hilarious on the replay :lol:
Said Kaka: "It was unfair. The image will speak for me."
He will miss Friday's group finale against Portugal. With Sunday's victory, Brazil has secured passage to the round of 16.speaking of dirrty. fifa is dirty. no way some of these calls so far, have not been prejudice.
Was the red card assessed to Kaka warranted?
washington post

* Yes 15%
* No 84%

Created on Jun 20, 2010
Total Votes: 6,932
i voted no. the other 5821 votes were brazillians :twisted:

joelle

Post by joelle »

joelle wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:i'm into it.

usa!

they have a very real chance of winning
if not, they will advance to quarter finals (or should.)
if they won it all, i would be excited and proud

i already posted my final 5 ( i know, should have been 4, but could not narrow it down... :roll: :oops: )
spain, brazil, england, USA
argentina

quoting myself is dorky :ugeek:
but i would just like to say...
brazil and argentina are leading as we head in to the 16
6 each
gah, spain ? again wtf? :o :(
and england and usa 2 points each :? ...we shall see

my money is still on argentina :twisted:
wild cards paraguay and mexico
good shit

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

sg207 wrote:So if the US gets another tie, and England loses, the US can advance by winning zero games. Something seems odd in that you may not even have to win in order to advance.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've never followed the game but since I drew Brazil in a local sports station's contest,
I'm rootin for Brazil. :P
I've been watching :?
So now I just turn it down and crank the
tunes.
Goooooooooo Brazil
(I'm doing a "Gator Chomp" for Brazil right now)
I wish I had one of them horns.
Can't be near as bad as a "Real" football game
in Starkville
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What? Nothing from Monsieur Francais about NZ's amazing tie w/ Italy? I assumed he'd at least be reporting in about the national holiday that must have been declared :lol:

The refs have had far too much influence on the outcome of far too many games and on the prospects for advancement of far too many teams.

But brace yourselves, folks, for the worst is yet to come: the bizarre methods of advancing are about to come to the fore in the 3d games of the first round. How many goals u win by, how many u score, who a team that controls its own destiny wants to play in the next round or wants to see advance or not advance all comes into play as various strategies and tactics are employed. In fact, I'm guessing that Spain's gonna be kicking itself that despite thoroughly destroying Honduras, they only bothered to score 2 goals. OTOH, we have Portugal's outright murderation of N Korea (which i didnt see, but when the score's 7-0, i imagine the score doesnt even begin to indicate how onesided it was LOL).

FIFA tries to control the gamesmanship by having both 3d games in the same group played at the same time, but that's only a partial remedy. Throw in the refs' decisions that created a lot of the considerations teams are weighing and the whole thing smells really really bad. I don't understand why fans in the "real" soccer countries put up w/ this pretty stupid system.

BTW, has anybody noticed the term "soccer" creeping into the proceedings? I've heard it used by announcers and one of the stadiums in S Africa is called "soccer stadium" or some such. I find that very weird and don't understand where that's coming from.

never going back

I played SOCCER for 18 years. FUTBOL (FOOTBALL) is what LSU will dominate from August until January.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

that fucking ref needs a bullet. Havent seen such a bad show since '41 when the Italians subbed in the Germans against England that time.

NZ was 1 -1 against Italy in the end and drew with Slovakia, but have Paraguay on Friday. Its being shown here live at 2 a.m. They're pretty good.

I must confess I am confused as hell, still, by ball sports, but I do like watching the highlights for the goals. I am really pleased soccer is getting some traction against the stupid dominant eggball variant, rugby union. We are having the rugby union world cup here next year, its going to be awful.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Steve French wrote:

that fucking ref needs a bullet. Havent seen such a bad show since '41 when the Italians subbed in the Germans against England that time.

NZ was 1 -1 against Italy in the end and drew with Slovakia, but have Paraguay on Friday. Its being shown here live at 2 a.m. They're pretty good.

I must confess I am confused as hell, still, by ball sports, but I do like watching the highlights for the goals. I am really pleased soccer is getting some traction against the stupid dominant eggball variant, rugby union. We are having the rugby union world cup here next year, its going to be awful.

Haven't you seen Invictus, man?

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I am enjoying the French who are infighting and surrendering in advance.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Steve French wrote:I am enjoying the French who are infighting and surrendering in advance.

Are u watching the World Cup or Band of Brothers?

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

beantownbubba wrote:
Steve French wrote:

Haven't you seen Invictus, man?

Nope. The hilarity of that story is that the entire rugby population of NZ (which is pretty much all of NZ except me) is utterly convinced that SA won that world cup by stealth, they got some waitress to poison their hamburgers before the game or something. I dont know: I didnt care then and I dont care now. The thing that shits me about rugby since its gone professional is that its all blah, and blah de blah, and nationalistic fervor that we are supposed to have so that assholes can sell us shit we dont need to be paid for with money we dont have. Its fucked. And fucked up.

But like I say, I am notoriously useless at any sport involving a stick or a ball. The only one I've ever really played is canoe polo and thats more about the canoeing than the ball part. When we were supposed to play rugby at school, I declined to attend and went skateboarding instead, or home.

But getting back to the football players, they are amazingly skilful. and it is quite good to see the local team doing OK, though the media hysteria would have you think they'd won the bloody world cup, not just drawn a couple of games. Meh, whatever, dont let me get you down, I'm a grumpy old man.

But if anyone wants to talk about Scott Dixon and Indy, or Motogp then I'm all up in that.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
Steve French wrote:I am enjoying the French who are infighting and surrendering in advance.

Are u watching the World Cup or Band of Brothers?

Was the French meltdown really unexpected?
I guess they showed everybody
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lionel Messi.

That is all.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Even though I don't know how it all works, I have enjoyed watching.
We decided to have lunch at our favorite Mexican place today and
timed it so we could catch the last half of the Mexican game. As a
bonus we got to watch the end of the French game too. Mexico didn't
win but they get to move on. South Africa beats France and they're
both eliminated.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Another bs call for the U.S. I know all sports have refs making calls(good and bad), but this is why I have a hard time with soccer outside of the world cup.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

U.S.A.!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! :D :shock: :D

First time I have ever cheered out loud for a soccer game. :lol:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

WOW! We were screaming pretty loudly here, too :D