MLB 2013

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

UncleFrank23

Re: MLB 2013

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Don't sleep on José Fernandez getting NL RoY. Yes, Puig would have to slump these last six weeks, but it isn't necessarily the foregoing conclusion. Team record doesn't seem to matter much to the rookie of the year voters.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Originally someone asked that could Kershaw be MVP. My point was even Kershaw has stated Puig is the teams MVP. Therefor in a devils advocate way, I mentioned that Puig should deserve some consideration. The term valuable, which is historically vague and inconsistent in how it is applied in the award, clearly is a characteristic of Puigs contributions. Gibson won due to his impact, not his stats. Sure, on paper the 88 Dodgers were nothing, and he was a star. It has been stated that Puig could not win, like Trout last year, because he came up in June. Trout got 6 first place votes. The reason Miggy won it was he won the triple crown, something not done since 1967, and the Tigers made the playoffs, not because Trout was a rookie. Kemp was the best player in the NL in "11. So not making the playoffs worked against him, but players on non winning teams have won before.Look at Dawson, last place. I am NOT even advocating for Puig to win MVP, but simply responding to people who KNOW it is not possible even in theory. History tells us that this award is arbitrary and often seems unfair. I am pulling for McCutchen. Again, my main point was if Kershaw could be considered NL MVP on a star studded team,then the player that basically all of his teammates, as well as the Dodger media, Fox announcers, and fans, feel is the team MVP,deserves to be looked at. I personally feel Gonzalez is is the core of the offense, and Ramirez is the best player, but he is hurt too much.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

oilpiers wrote:Originally someone asked that could Kershaw be MVP. My point was even Kershaw has stated Puig is the teams MVP. Therefor in a devils advocate way, I mentioned that Puig should deserve some consideration. The term valuable, which is historically vague and inconsistent in how it is applied in the award, clearly is a characteristic of Puigs contributions. Gibson won due to his impact, not his stats. Sure, on paper the 88 Dodgers were nothing, and he was a star. It has been stated that Puig could not win, like Trout last year, because he came up in June. Trout got 6 first place votes. The reason Miggy won it was he won the triple crown, something not done since 1967, and the Tigers made the playoffs, not because Trout was a rookie. Kemp was the best player in the NL in "11. So not making the playoffs worked against him, but players on non winning teams have won before.Look at Dawson, last place. I am NOT even advocating for Puig to win MVP, but simply responding to people who KNOW it is not possible even in theory. History tells us that this award is arbitrary and often seems unfair. I am pulling for McCutchen. Again, my main point was if Kershaw could be considered NL MVP on a star studded team,then the player that basically all of his teammates, as well as the Dodger media, Fox announcers, and fans, feel is the team MVP,deserves to be looked at. I personally feel Gonzalez is is the core of the offense, and Ramirez is the best player, but he is hurt too much.

Fair enough. Since this discussion came up I've probably read 10 articles on the MVP race and have not read a single case for Puig. There is probably one out there so it isn't a challenge. All I was doing was stating conventional wisdom on these type of things. I'm done now.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I just heard that David DeJesus received a standing ovation from Cub fans last night pinch hitting for the Nationals. I'm dumbfounded. Not that he was a bad player in Chicago but he was an ordinary one playing for bad teams. I don't get it.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I just heard that David DeJesus received a standing ovation from Cub fans last night pinch hitting for the Nationals. I'm dumbfounded. Not that he was a bad player in Chicago but he was an ordinary one playing for bad teams. I don't get it.

Ha, I would hate to work for you....just kidding. But if the guy played hard and contributed a little bit what is the problem with recognizing that ? It's just a standing ovation, they aren't retiring his number. You cheer for ten seconds, then sit down and hope he pops up to the catcher.
BTW, I am assuming he played hard and wasn't an asshole.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I just heard that David DeJesus received a standing ovation from Cub fans last night pinch hitting for the Nationals. I'm dumbfounded. Not that he was a bad player in Chicago but he was an ordinary one playing for bad teams. I don't get it.

This blog explains it pretty well

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/08/21/farewell-david-dejesus/
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

UncleFrank23 wrote:

Yeah, I listen to Dan Bernstein too much. He was eviscerating people for this when actually it's probably not so bad.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
UncleFrank23 wrote:

Yeah, I listen to Dan Bernstein too much. He was eviscerating people for this when actually it's probably not so bad.

Without personally knowing that you listen to Boers and Bernstein, I knew it. You are a rock solid, kind dude. A positive person. Maybe one of the best people I know. Where else would your dreaded, dark cloud, bitter, Chicago sports cynical mindset come from. It's perfect for you.
I also want to point out that in the future, if you generalize Chicago sports fans opinions and sentiments from their pre-screened listeners, you cannot factor them in as a whole or majority of the general consensus in town.
They obviously hold back the smarter callers, so that they can let the biggest idiots in Chicago get through to talk. So they can rip the living crap out of them. It has been their thing for years.
And I don't fault you for listening to them. I have been a devout B & B listener for years. Mainly for the entertainment aspect, although they usually interject good viewpoints against religion in general and the Westboro Baptist Church. Which I always love hearing.
As soon as I pick up Zoe from daycare I have to turn it off. After all, it isn't a pleasing and positive listen in both tone and content.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

yankee or not, he's the fucking man

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Shakespeare wrote:Image

yankee or not, he's the fucking man

"It is a record that is adding two leagues into one; those guys did it in one league," Ichiro said. "I don't think you have to put me in that same category as them." I have to disagree with the man on this. It is not his fault he did not start in American MLB. His MLB stats prove the Japanese leagues did not significantly pad his hit totals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichiro_Suzuki

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i see both sides of the debate, and id love to see ichiro get to 3000 mlb hits just to lay it to rest a bit, but the guys clearly one of, if not the best contact hitters the game's ever seen, and i couldnt care less if he got a chunk of those hits in japan. that league's no slouch, and as far as im concerned if hed started his career in mlb when he did in japan, hed still be more or less where he is today. talent is talent and hes clearly got it. plus, the fact that hes been around long enough to get to 4,000 period is as much a testament to his skill as the number itself.

also one of the nicest and most humble dudes ive ever heard of in all of baseball. never heard a single bad word spoken about the man. looking forward to his day in cooperstown

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Not to mention he is a plus fielder and has a cannon for an arm
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Shakespeare wrote:i see both sides of the debate, and id love to see ichiro get to 3000 mlb hits just to lay it to rest a bit, but the guys clearly one of, if not the best contact hitters the game's ever seen, and i couldnt care less if he got a chunk of those hits in japan. that league's no slouch, and as far as im concerned if hed started his career in mlb when he did in japan, hed still be more or less where he is today. talent is talent and hes clearly got it. plus, the fact that hes been around long enough to get to 4,000 period is as much a testament to his skill as the number itself.

also one of the nicest and most humble dudes ive ever heard of in all of baseball. never heard a single bad word spoken about the man. looking forward to his day in cooperstown

I have heard that his teammates in Seattle did not like him.Got a friend from Seattle who follows the Mariners religiously, told me some stories. Even if that is so he reminds me of Ricky henderson in the fact that he has no comparable peer, past or present.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Better news for Dodger fans than them winning the 2013 World Series. Image

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow. Baseball in 2:05 is a lot more fun than baseball in 3:40, even if your team loses. 60's throwback game - 5 total hits. All the Dodgers hits, including the game winning blast, were by ex Red Sox. John Lackey's complete game 3 hitter wasted. Had not seen Jansen before. That guy's got serious game!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Boston rolls into Chavez Ravine and takes 2 of 3 from the hottest team in baseball, with Peavy tossing a complete game, three-hitter to seal the series.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Peavy was great last nite! If he keeps that form for the rest of the season...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Peavy was great last nite! If he keeps that form for the rest of the season...

Peavy is a gamer, plain and simple. When he's healthy he gives you everything he has even when he doesn't have his best stuff. Whit Sox fans and Chicago media hated hated him though. I understand the fans point of view, the injuries were rough, but I never understood the media who made fun of his speech patterns, his over the top positive attitude and even his gamer mentality. They acted like he was a buffoon, which I think is ridiculous. I hope he finishes strong for the Bosox.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Thrust into a pennant race, Peavy's pitching line in his 1st 5 starts for Boston:
2-1; 32.2 innings; 20 K's; 3.31 ERA; 0.98 WHIP; .221 Opponents BA

It extends beyond "last night."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cabrera now just 1 HR behind Chris Davis.

Back-to-back Triple Crowns? Has this ever been done?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip City wrote:Cabrera now just 1 HR behind Chris Davis.

It has never been done.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Actually Cabrera is still 3 HRs behind Crush, but who's keepin' score.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Slipkid42 wrote:

Actually Cabrera is still 3 HRs behind Crush, but who's keepin' score.

You are correct, I was just coming to fix that.

Math is hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

oilpiers wrote:The elephant in this room. Dodgers. The hottest team going into the All-Star Break, and 19-3 since. On June 1 they had the 25th best record in MLB. Now they are #7. Sure looks like #1 is within striking distance.

So, they have made it from # 25 on June 1, to # 2 on Sep 1. I understand "Fuck the Dodgers" as much as anyone, but I never seen anything like this. One month to go.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/group/9

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can't deny it: It's been really fun watching the Red Sox - Yankees series this week. :D

At this point i guess there's no point in complaining about the 4 hour games. This being baseball, we'll now call it a tradition and venerate it.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Is anyone paying attention to this pennant race in the NL Central ? This is great shit.
GO CARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jr29 wrote:Is anyone paying attention to this pennant race in the NL Central ? This is great shit.

It's been a great race.

GO CARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOO

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Reds appear to be getting hot at the right time, and with Cueto and Marshall both due back soon, the pitching should get even better.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sg207 wrote:Reds appear to be getting hot at the right time, and with Cueto and Marshall both due back soon, the pitching should get even better.

That's an awesome division race and I expect one of those teams to win the NL Pennant. I think that Atlanta and LA could be a little complacent after being unchallenged for a long time.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sg207 wrote:Reds appear to be getting hot at the right time, and with Cueto and Marshall both due back soon, the pitching should get even better.

That's an awesome division race and I expect one of those teams to win the NL Pennant. I think that Atlanta and LA could be a little complacent after being unchallenged for a long time.

The Reds have the pitching to do it, but their inconsistent offense is unbelievably maddening. Then again, you only need to be hot at the right time to take it all. I'm not going to bet on the Reds, but I'm not going to count them out either.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it