Raleigh/Durham

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ScottyC

Raleigh/Durham

Post by ScottyC »

So the wife and I are moving to the Triangle and I know there are a few on there from that area. Tell me some good insider stuff outside of what i am finding on websites. Come on what do we have to do, best places to see a show, cool areas to hang out and meet some down to earth people, where has tornado Foosball tables (having a real problem with this one, and is crucially important). Any info would be great.

beantownbubba

Re: Raleigh/Durham

Post by beantownbubba »

Obviously I'm not an insider. Just posting to express my jealousy. In my top 3 places in the US I'd move to if i were going to move. Don't know if it's still true, but one thing i remember from a long ago visit was attending a party at a Fuqua B School professor's house and learning that for just over half of what i had recently paid for my house, he had approximately double the house size and at least 10x the property (probably significantly more than that but i don't remember the details and don't want to exaggerate).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Paging Kudzu Guillotine. Please report to this thread.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Flea

Post by Flea »

Stay far away from Chapel Hill or Duke U, very very bad people inhabit both places.
Now it's dark.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John Darnielle lives there! You could be friends!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

roland

Post by roland »

In Raleigh alone you have Slim's and Tir Na Nog for small bar bands, The Pour House and the Lincoln Theater for mid-level shows like Jason, DBT, & the like sized bands, an intimate amphitheater downtown (about 5,000 or so), and down the road in Cary is the Koka Booth Amphitheater which holds about 7,000. You also have PNC Arena and Carter-FInley Stadium for big shows.

Kudzu can take it from here.

Hud

Post by Hud »

http://shakorihillsgrassroots.org/festi ... e-schedule

In the spring and fall, small festival.

traditional music check out....the pinecone folk

https://www.pinecone.org/

Bass Mtn bluegrass festival (maybe called lil john's) on Memorial Day
http://www.bluegrassfestivalguide.com/bassmtn.htm

I would like to check this place out...

http://www.hawriverballroom.com/

Jordan Lake is beautiful

Nice farmers market w/excellent home cooked meals

Flea Market at NC State fair grounds every weekend, the NC arboretum is down/across the street

foosball.......I'm an old school Rene Pierre man myself
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Flea

Post by Flea »

The Nur Grocery in the Mission Valley Shopping Center has the best falafel in Eastern NC.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I contemplated moving there in the late 80's. Kind of regret that I did not.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Lived there for 5 years when I started my business back in the day. Was a great 5 years - fantastic place.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Get hot weiners here

http://roastgrill.com/

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Started on a post the other day but as you will see below it turned into a fucking novel. It's still a work in progress but I hope you'll find it helpful. It's been years since I last tried my hand at foosball and even then I wasn't exactly an expert so I'm not up on all of the different brands of tables. However, today I spotted a Tornado table at Brewmasters which is on the corner of Martin and McDowell Streets in Raleigh. I'll ask around to see if there's some other spots around here that have 'em.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're on Facebook I'd suggest seeking out the Guitartown People page, it's the FB counterpart for the original Guitartown email list. They are both great resources for asking about what the area has to offer. In fact, it was joining Guitartown back in '99 that originally led me to the area and to me eventually moving here in 2008. I was visiting the Triangle prior to that but when the internet came around it was listservs such as Guitartown that proved the most beneficial as far as finding like minded music/art fans that were local. We have a music calendar that you can find here. It's pretty twang-centric but it's by no means limited to that. The Guitartown membership has pretty eclectic music tastes and that's reflected in the various shows listed on the calendar. Also, once a year we host a day party at Sadlack's and Schoolkids Records (on Hillsborough Street across from the NCSU Bell Tower) during the first day of Hopscotch.

Believe it or not, even though I've been coming up here for quite a while and have been living here for four years, I'm still making discoveries about the area so I'm by no means an expert. That said, there is a lot to do here as far as music, dining, movies and the arts. The best resource for that is The Independent Weekly which is based out of Durham

Eats In Raleigh

This is just a small sampling of some of my favorite restaurants. There are tons more to choose from in the area. The folks at the Independent Weekly put out something called the Annual Manual that's still available in kiosks all over the Triangle area. It has an entire section devoted to dining spots that I'm sure you'll find very helpful. Award winning chef Ashley Christensen has several restaurants in the area, all of the gourmet variety such as Poole's Diner, Beasley's Chicken and Chuck's (an upscale burger joint). These are all located within the general vicinity of the same block downtown where you'll find the Landmark Tavern (run by D Generation member Ricky Bacchus and his wife Shelby), Tir na nOg (also a restaurant), the Pour House Music Hall and Slim's.

Frank's Pizza
The Morning Times
The Raleigh Times
The Remedy Diner
Lily's Pizza

Nightspots/Live Music (Raleigh)

Pour House Music Hall the Pour House is now under new ownership but their stock in trade, jam bands, hasn't really changed all that much. That said, they also host a variety of other musical styles but jam bands are their main thing. Their soundman, Jac Cain, came over from the Brewery (R.I.P.) and is very well respected in this area for going above and beyond when it comes to making every artist who graces the stage sound the very best that they can.

Sadlack's Heroes (no website) Sadlack's is a unique sandwich shop on Hillsborough Street located just across from the NCSU Bell Tower. They have a patio out back where they have live music on the weekends with no cover. It's considered to be a historical spot for a variety of reasons since several members of Whiskeytown (including Ryan Adams) used to work there. Whiskeytown drummer Skillet Gilmore was also at one time one of the owners (and may still be, I'm not sure). Lots of bands have gotten their start here including Whiskeytown and Corrosion of Conformity. It's a great place to grab a beer, a sub and check out some live music. Unfortunately, like Schoolkids Records next door, it's under the threat of the wrecking ball and may be demolished within the coming year to make way for a five story hotel.

Slim's Downtown Distillery Run by Van Alston who is probably best known for co-writing a couple songs with Ryan Adams for his Heartbreaker album. Emmylou Harris once referred to him as "the Renaissance Man of Raleigh" since he has a hand in the local music scene as well as other area restaurants and bars. Slim's is a delightful hole in the wall dive bar where I've seen two Whiskeytown reunion shows, the Yayhoos, the recent Backsliders reunion, a surprise appearance from Alejandro Escovedo and numerous other nights of live music that just wouldn't be the same anywhere else.

The Lincoln Theatre this is probably the best and largest live music venue in Raleigh as far as clubs are concerned. It has excellent sight lines and sound. It's pretty much Raleigh's answer to the Cat's Cradle (located in nearby Carrboro) when it comes to the big touring acts (such as the Truckers). Their roster runs the gamut from tribute bands to the aforementioned national touring artists.

Tir na nOg Great food here but the main attraction for me is their ongoing Local Band/Local Beer series which happens every Thursday night and is sponsored by WKNC (NC State's campus radio station). It's free and is a wonderful way to check out lots of local talent. Most of the time it's upcoming bands (it's where I first heard artists such as Mount Moriah) but occasionally Chris Tamplin (who books the shows) will bring in some heavy hitters such as Caitlin Cary, Mitch Easter, Dexter Romweber, the Rosebuds, etc.

King's Barcade King's is the underground/alternative hotspot but they're not limited to that. I've seen lots of great shows here including a Connells tribute, the Thermals, Two Cow Garage, Whitey Morgan and many others. When the Avett Brothers returned to town last spring for the Oliver Gant benefit they headlined at King's, one of several venues in the area they used to play before going on to greener pastures. King's closed for 2-3 years after a parking garage went up in their previous location. However, they came back just in time for the first annual Hopscotch Music Festival 3 years ago and have been going strong ever since. Downstairs is Neptune's a cool place to grab a drink before hitting a show at King's. There are plans to eventually open a restaurant on the second floor of the building but that hasn't happened yet. It's run by Paul Siler and his wife Cheetie from Birds of Avalon.

To be continued...

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Thank you guys so uh for the information and wow KG, you have earned yourself a beverage or meal at a show at some point once we get settled in the area.

We are excited for the move. Literally don't know a soul up there but have heard good things about the people of the area and due to the fact it is a transient city that people are usually easier to meet.

Thanks again to all and look forward to part two, but not rushing at all because that is a freaking novel!

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

one belt loop wrote:John Darnielle lives there! You could be friends!

Also, am I supposed to know this person? Maybe another name? I am always up for new friends I just didn't know if I was supposed to be in the know

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

ScottyC wrote:

Also, am I supposed to know this person? Maybe another name? I am always up for new friends I just didn't know if I was supposed to be in the know

He's the lead guy in the Mountain Goats (whom I saw last Wednesday in Austin and am seeing tomorrow night in SF, so he was on my mind). I hesitate to use the word indie but I don't know another place to put them...above average intelligent lyrics, simple music, a voice that probably has to grow on you (a la Patterson or Craig Finn), great storyteller, exudes sweetness without being saccharine. OBL says check 'em out.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

one belt loop wrote:
ScottyC wrote:

He's the lead guy in the Mountain Goats (whom I saw last Wednesday in Austin and am seeing tomorrow night in SF, so he was on my mind). I hesitate to use the word indie but I don't know another place to put them...above average intelligent lyrics, simple music, a voice that probably has to grow on you (a la Patterson or Craig Finn), great storyteller, exudes sweetness without being saccharine. OBL says check 'em out.

Gotcha. I know who they are and have some of the goods, I just didn't know his name.

Kudzu Guillotine

Speaking of The Indy and the local music scene, be sure to check out this week's year end issue when you get a chance, lots of good stuff there (scroll down for the individual articles).

"Besides having a beard, a banjo, being from N.C., and writing our own material, we really don't have much in common with The Avett Brothers." — Dave Wilson, Chatham County Line

Click on the image to access The Indy's Music section

Flea

Post by Flea »

I got a hummer in the woods at Lake Johnson Nature Park by a chick named Sally in the autumn of 1987. That was pretty cool.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/arts/content/PRecRecreation/Articles/LakeJohnsonPark.html
Now it's dark.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Flea wrote:I got a hummer in the woods at Lake Johnson Nature Park by a chick named Sally in the autumn of 1987. That was pretty cool.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/arts/content/PRecRecreation/Articles/LakeJohnsonPark.html

Perfect. Now the wife and I have our first weekend there planned. A romantic walk in the park to find the elusive blonde Sally swallow.

Flea

Post by Flea »

ScottyC wrote:
Flea wrote:I got a hummer in the woods at Lake Johnson Nature Park by a chick named Sally in the autumn of 1987. That was pretty cool.

Perfect. Now the wife and I have our first weekend there planned. A romantic walk in the park to find the elusive blonde Sally swallow.

Before or after the Hot Weiners?
Now it's dark.

scotto

Post by scotto »

We lived there from 1995-98 and (apart from the pine pollen, humidity, and shockingly large flying roaches) loved it.
Not sure what all's changed since then, but when we lived there it was vinyl heaven. Our favorite Saturday excursion was hitting all three Nice Price locations and what ever other record shop was in our path. Between all that and the frequent record shows, our record collection easily doubled in those four years.

Kudzu Guillotine

Nice read from David Menconi from his Losering blog which serves as a sort of online component to his book, Ryan Adams: Losering, a Story of Whiskeytown.

Ryan's Raleigh

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

We got all our stuff up here this weekend and will start unpacking after Athens. I will then start doing all the stuff on this list. Thanks for the read KG. Huge whiskeytown fan so it's right up my alley.

Kudzu Guillotine

At roughly 4 pm this afternoon, Sadlack's Heroes bit the dust. It used to be next to Schoolkids Records which moved to Mission Valley Shopping Center in early 2014. Some artifacts from Sad's, as well as much of the staff are now at the newly renovated Berkeley Cafe on Martin Street.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:At roughly 4 pm this afternoon, Sadlack's Heroes bit the dust. It used to be next to Schoolkids Records which moved to Mission Valley Shopping Center in early 2014. Some artifacts from Sad's, as well as much of the staff are now at the newly renovated Berkeley Cafe on Martin Street.

Travesty! What's next, Mitch's?
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Flea wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:At roughly 4 pm this afternoon, Sadlack's Heroes bit the dust. It used to be next to Schoolkids Records which moved to Mission Valley Shopping Center in early 2014. Some artifacts from Sad's, as well as much of the staff are now at the newly renovated Berkeley Cafe on Martin Street.

Travesty! What's next, Mitch's?

Cooley giving props at their in-store at Waterloo Records in Austin last night.

Photo by Peter Blackstock

Kudzu Guillotine

I was thinking there was a thread on here devoted to our individual music scenes. I'm not sure if this is it but it seems as good a place as any for this bit of news about a book David Menconi of the Raleigh News & Observer has been working on that will be out in 2018.

Next up: “The Big Book of North Carolina Music”

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I moved to Cary 5 years ago. We live 15 minutes or so from downtown Raleigh & all the music venues. We're about the same distance (give or take 5-10 minutes) from Durham & maybe 30 mins from Chapel Hill. There are a ton of music venues, restaurants, bars, record stores, breweries, etc all within a very close distance. Moving here was the best decision I ever made & we couldn't be happier living in the Triangle.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

And I just realized this thread is 5 years old :lol:
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.