NFL 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

olwiggum
Site Admin

NFL 2010

Post by olwiggum »

We had just gotten the new 2010 thread started on the old board... so here's the new one.

Crazy few days surrounding the draft. Looks like the Raiders came out with a helluva draft. I really can't believe that. Was it on 9B or somewhere else where someone said that Al Davis must have been locked in a closet somewhere. :lol: Also, acquiring Jason Campbell via trade was big for them. Wonder if they'll cut Russell loose...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2010

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Detroit had a great draft. I'll believe Oakland when I see it. Philadelphia had a good draft as well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Yeah, Detroit and Seattle both did well. Seattle, in terms of the draft AND in the trades. I think Lendale White and Leon Washington have some good running left in them. Lendale has something to prove.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

I really like where Carolina's draft ended up, for once they finally drafted a qb for the first time in 8 years it seems (and Claussen at that). Also i like their late round picks, Eric Norwood and Armanti Edwards especially.

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

It's good to see Some of these under achiveing teams have good drafts. Should be good for the league over the next few years as the level of competition rises across the league.
That is of course if they dont strike in 2011!!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Late4Church wrote:That is of course if they dont strike in 2011!!!!

Not much chance of that. I think it'll be an owners lockout though. Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly is on record saying he thinks it will be at least a year, probably more.

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

Hope so! The nfl is on top of the sports world why mess up a good thing? 3.4 million viewers for the DRAFT!!
Why take the chance to loose that momentum.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Late4Church wrote:Hope so! The nfl is on top of the sports world why mess up a good thing? 3.4 million viewers for the DRAFT!!

No, I meant that there's no chance it won't happen. I haven't heard any optimism. I agree with you though, why screw it up?

scotto

Post by scotto »

The Raiders did OK, but they didn't exactly have the bar set that high. When merely not fucking up is a huge success, you're in trouble.
Kind of like hailing Jason Campbell as your franchise quarterback. I mean, he's OK, but he's no Jeff George.
And yes, I'm afraid JaMarcus' days are done--despite the fact that Cable said he'd be competing with Campbell for the starting QB job. (Ha ha, Tom, that's rich!)

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

I am curious as to how the Jag's D will work out this year. Also hoping Green Bay can get their offensive line to protect Rodgers more.... and of course best wishes to Tim Tebow in Denver.
Segalegend.tumblr.com

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

scotto wrote:The Raiders did OK, but they didn't exactly have the bar set that high. When merely not fucking up is a huge success, you're in trouble.
Kind of like hailing Jason Campbell as your franchise quarterback. I mean, he's OK, but he's no Jeff George.
And yes, I'm afraid JaMarcus' days are done--despite the fact that Cable said he'd be competing with Campbell for the starting QB job. (Ha ha, Tom, that's rich!)

Scotto,
Thank GOD Campbell is no Jeff George. Jamarcus IS the Jeff George type of guy, all the physical tools, but no heart and no desire to be a leader. Jamarcus may be done in the NFL, if he's really 300 pounds again, he's just not that good of a passer, his accuracy is nowhere near what a starting NFL QB needs, combine bad footwaork and a poor work ethic and you've got another 1st round QB Bust.
Campbell is an improvement over JaMarcus and will have a good comp w/ Gradkowski for the startering job.
I'm pretty happy w/ the Raiders draft this year, but yeah, the bar is set pretty damn low after the last 3 drafts.
I have zero expectations, i'd just like for the raiders to be a competitive football team EVERY week...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Late4Church wrote:Hope so! The nfl is on top of the sports world why mess up a good thing? 3.4 million viewers for the DRAFT!!

3.4 million members of the Get-A-Life Club :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

scotto

Post by scotto »

PeterG wrote:
scotto wrote:The Raiders did OK, but they didn't exactly have the bar set that high. When merely not fucking up is a huge success, you're in trouble.

Scotto,
Thank GOD Campbell is no Jeff George. Jamarcus IS the Jeff George type of guy, all the physical tools, but no heart and no desire to be a leader. Jamarcus may be done in the NFL, if he's really 300 pounds again, he's just not that good of a passer, his accuracy is nowhere near what a starting NFL QB needs, combine bad footwaork and a poor work ethic and you've got another 1st round QB Bust.
Campbell is an improvement over JaMarcus and will have a good comp w/ Gradkowski for the startering job.
I'm pretty happy w/ the Raiders draft this year, but yeah, the bar is set pretty damn low after the last 3 drafts.
I have zero expectations, i'd just like for the raiders to be a competitive football team EVERY week...

Just to clarify, I was being facetious with the Jeff George quote.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The football notes column in today's Globe (boston.com) features a fairly long lead piece on the Bears which may be of interest to certain parties on this board.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:The football notes column in today's Globe (boston.com) features a fairly long lead piece on the Bears which may be of interest to certain parties on this board.

God I hate Lovie Smith. He thinks it could be like he and Martz' days in St Louis huh? I don't see any receivers that look like the Rams receivers and if I recall that was a hell of an O line. There Bear's receivers and O line? Ummm not so much.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:God I hate Lovie Smith. He thinks it could be like he and Martz' days in St Louis huh? I don't see any receivers that look like the Rams receivers and if I recall that was a hell of an O line. There Bear's receivers and O line? Ummm not so much.

+1

On another note, Hub Arkush (publisher/editor Pro Football Weekly) was talking on the radio a few weeks back that not only will there be the typical union/league headbutting, but he thinks more importantly, there will be a huge problem amongst the owners agreeing on revenue sharing. Jones, Snyder, etc. are tired of sharing what they believe are rightfully their profits and such. Kind of makes sense. LOTS and LOTS of money about to be thrown on the bargaining table....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take that NFL!! The league lost its anti trust suit by a UNANIMOUS vote of the Supreme Court. The Ct doesnt decide anything unanimously these days!! The league was so cocky and arrogant that it appealed from a verdict it WON on the lower court, seeking even broader protection. The didn't just get slapped down, they got freakin' HAMMERED!! I wonder how their lawyers are explaining their no doubt 7 figure fees after convincing the league it had a good chance w/ the Supremes.

Feel better now, TC? ;)
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Take that NFL!! The league lost its anti trust suit by a UNANIMOUS vote of the Supreme Court. The Ct doesnt decide anything unanimously these days!! The league was so cocky and arrogant that it appealed from a verdict it WON on the lower court, seeking even broader protection. The didn't just get slapped down, they got freakin' HAMMERED!! I wonder how their lawyers are explaining their no doubt 7 figure fees after convincing the league it had a good chance w/ the Supremes.

Feel better now, TC? ;)

Much! Yeah I heard this earlier. That Lester Munson article I posted on it and a few NFL reporters had me convinced that it would go the wrong direction. Nice that it didn't.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Feel better now, TC? ;)

Much! Yeah I heard this earlier. That Lester Munson article I posted on it and a few NFL reporters had me convinced that it would go the wrong direction. Nice that it didn't.

Didn't your mother tell you? You should always listen to bubba :lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Anybody interested in starting a 3DD fantasy football league?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Most definitely. We had one on Ninebullets for the last 2 years. I'm sure we'll kick it back up this year. We should be able to use the same league that we used before, so I'll get that going when it's a little closer to time for the season to start.
The way we did it last year, if I remember correctly, is ask everyone if they were going to participate again. If they didn't plan on playing, their spot went to a newcomer. We'll probably do something similar this year.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

olwiggum wrote:Most definitely. We had one on Ninebullets for the last 2 years. I'm sure we'll kick it back up this year. We should be able to use the same league that we used before, so I'll get that going when it's a little closer to time for the season to start.
The way we did it last year, if I remember correctly, is ask everyone if they were going to participate again. If they didn't plan on playing, their spot went to a newcomer. We'll probably do something similar this year.

Please keep us posted! I'm definitely interested.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Will do. I can't wait! Also, we'll have a separate thread for it once it starts since there will be people that want to talk football without reading all of the trash-talking between us fantasy players.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Didn't want to start an NFL 2014 thread, so I'll post here. Pretty cool they awarded a Super Bowl to a city that could have some snow falling while my beloved Bears are playing with coach Cower on the sideline.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

So Fat Lazy albert hayneworth decided he doesnt want to be a redskin anymore. But he still wants to keep that 32 mil they paid him for 12 games and shitty season. Guess he is pissed he wasnt allowed to handpick the next coach and doesnt like being told that they expect him to be in shape at the start of training camp, doesnt like to play team ball.
Heres his redskins stats:

Snaps

Pro Football Focus calculated that Haynesworth was on the field for 575 snaps in 2009. That means he made just $55,562 per snap. The 2008 median household income, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, was $52,029. (Though in the District, it was $57,936.)

Tackles

Haynesworth finished the 2009 campaign with 37 tackles. That means he earned $864,865 per tackle. When Phil Simms led the Giants to the Super Bowl XXI championship, he earned a base salary of $650,000, according to the New York Times. The losing quarterback in that Super Bowl, John Elway, had a base salary of $900,000. Washington's Jay Schroeder made $404,000 that season, including all of his bonuses and incentives.

Games

Haynesworth suited up for 12 Redskins games in 2009. That means he earned $2,666,667 per game. The most valuable baseball card in history, the Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner, recently sold to a collector for $2.8 million.

Sacks

Haynesworth's role was not solely to pressure the quarterback himself, but still, it's worth noting that he recorded four sacks in 2009. That means he earned $8 million per sack. The town of Strasburg, Va., a 6,200-person hamlet in the northern Shenandoah Valley, has an annual budget of about $9.4 million.

London Fletcher, who is the epitome of team player on the skins finally spoke up, and the best comment was that " the me-first attitude got us 4-12".

Heres what Shanny has to say:
Shanahan said he spoke with Haynesworth in February and gave Haynesworth permission at that time to find another place of employment. The team was willing to release Haynesworth if he would forgo the $21 million bonus he was due. But Shanahan said Haynesworth was only given until April 1 to locate another potential team.

"But on April 1, when we owed him a check for $21 million, we said, if you do take that check, we expect you to be the best defensive end, best nose tackle and if we played you at free safety, we'd expect you to be the best free safety -- even though he'd have to lose a little weight -- whatever position we wanted to play him at, that he'd do the best job he possibly could that would make him the best football player," Shanahan said.

"Obviously, he took the check, so I was surprised that he wasn't here today. Because I thought he did make that commitment and once he took that check, that he wanted to be a Washington Redskin, that he wanted to do the best thing for the Washington Redskins to help our defense and help our football team win. Obviously it didn't go in that direction, so quite disappointed."

So he had his chance to get out. He chose to take the money. Shanny's face got really red when he made these comments, I know he was biting his tongue. 99% of the players are on board with Shanahans system, mainly because of last season. 4-12, you do what you are told. Even Portis has been at all the offseason workouts etc.

I see players like Chris Johnson and Darnell Dockett, etc. that just want to be paid what they are worth. Well we do that, we paid Haynesworth(more than that fat tub of shit is worth). Where do they go from here?

I say keep his fat ass, if he shows up to training camp make him play every down in the preseason, put him on the inactive list every regular season game, If he shows up out of shape or doesnt partake, suspend his fat ass.

And finally, I think Shanahan and Bruce Allen need to get a framed picture of fat Al, that 21million dollar bonus check he cashed and put it on Snyders desk. And next time Dan Snyder goes chasing after the next great draft pick or the next great free agent that will get us a super bowl, tell him to look at that picture. And for the record, I was never a fan of this move last season.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Real good article on SI about Haynesworth and overpaying for guys with character issues.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I read that, and I was worried to death when he became a free agent because I knew we would sign him. We will see what happens.

joelle

Post by joelle »

there are no words. none.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

joelle wrote:Image
there are no words. none.

uh, NFL not NHL (or are they in LaCrosse uniforms)

Anyhow, you are right, no words!