NFL 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Erdlivz

Re: NFL 2010

Post by Erdlivz »

I'm an avid Bears fan and that catch and rule boggles my mind. That was definitely a TD. The Bears completely dominated the game though. Did they look bad? Yes, 100 penalty yards, 4 turnovers and no flollow through in the Red Zone + completely horrible coaching on Lovie's part should have cost them. The Defense played well and offense moved the ball at will. I realize they played Detroit but their offensive and defensive performances are top in the NFL for week 1. I can't stand Lovie Smith and that's why this team will not maximize potential.

Footnote: even if Johnson's catch was ruled a TD, the Bears could've easily countered with 3 points in :20-:26 seconds. two passes and a kick from a pretty good Robbie Gould.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:I'm an avid Bears fan and that catch and rule boggles my mind. That was definitely a TD. The Bears completely dominated the game though. Did they look bad? Yes, 100 penalty yards, 4 turnovers and no flollow through in the Red Zone + completely horrible coaching on Lovie's part should have cost them. The Defense played well and offense moved the ball at will. I realize they played Detroit but their offensive and defensive performances are top in the NFL for week 1. I can't stand Lovie Smith and that's why this team will not maximize potential.

Footnote: even if Johnson's catch was ruled a TD, the Bears could've easily countered with 3 points in :20-:26 seconds. two passes and a kick from a pretty good Robbie Gould.

the problem for me was that they didn't look ready for week one. I think it was football weekly that ranked Bear's training camp as one of the 4 easiest in the NFL. There's no sense of urgency and the team came out making mistakes and looking unfocused. You're right though the offense moved at will, except when it counted and the defense did the same. The thing is the offense kept using odd shifts to protect the QB and early in the game it worked and later it backfired more than once. Tricks do not take the place of talent.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Fool No Where wrote:I'm a bear fan so take me with a grain of salt (probably good advice in general). At the time of the play, I figured the Lions just won the game and I didn't understand the reasoning for the incompletion until I got home and read the rule. Now I understand, even though I don't agree with the spirit in which the rule was enforced. If, and this is my interpretation, Johnson were losing control of the ball and used the ground to regain control than I can see invoking the "...maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch" rule. That clearly wasn't the case. This kind of rule infurriates me because it takes the officials' judgement out of the equation.

That said, Det had two more downs to win the game, not to mention they were well within FG range when Hill threw the pick to Tillman in the third quarter. A FG there makes the score 17-13 Det., potentially giving them a chance to win with a FG instead of TD at the end of the game. The point I am making is the game wasn't lost because of one controversial call.

Last, Johnson gets paid to catch TD passes. He lost one because he didn't understand the rule, regardless of its absurdity. His bad.

Can't really disagree with you. If Calvin tucks the ball and rolls instead of slamming it down, it's all a moot point.

Regardless, it's a dumb rule, because if that's not a catch, I don't know what a catch is. What happens if a guy catches it at the 5, falls, and rolls a couple yards into the endzone, then lets it go before coming to a complete stop? The whole "process of the catch" thing is just baffling to me. Two feet, a knee, a butt cheek, and an arm should be enough.

And you Bear fans better get used to racking up yards between the 20s and then stalling in the red zone. Martz did that for 3 years in Detroit, and 1 or 2 in SF. He doesn't know how to punch it in anymore.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

That was brutal watching them stall in the Red Zone. The Bears need a Gruden or Cowher to toughen them up and tighten up these mistakes. I don't see them making the playoffs but would love to eat those words and enjoy a surprise.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Duke Silver wrote:What happens if a guy catches it at the 5, falls, and rolls a couple yards into the endzone, then lets it go before coming to a complete stop?
Before yesterday, I would have said TD. Now, I'm not so sure.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Ravens eke out ugly win over brash Jet squad. The pie holes will be shut for at least a week anyway. A win in Cincy on a short week, and Ravens will be in catbird seat. Flacco looked gritty after initial meltdown. Jets were trying to outstupid each other all game capped finally by Keller running out of bounds shy of 1st down marker, with 30 ticks still on the clock. Maybe he was still woozy from his collision with Ray Ray, earlier in the game.
New fast fact: 14 penalties for 125 yds is worse than 3 turnovers (2 in their redzone, 1 in ours).\
A win is a win.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Ravens eke out ugly win over brash Jet squad. The pie holes will be shut for at least a week anyway. A win in Cincy on a short week, and Ravens will be in catbird seat. Flacco looked gritty after initial meltdown. Jets were trying to outstupid each other all game capped finally by Keller running out of bounds shy of 1st down marker, with 30 ticks still on the clock. Maybe he was still woozy from his collision with Ray Ray, earlier in the game.
New fast fact: 14 penalties for 125 yds is worse than 3 turnovers (2 in their redzone, 1 in ours).\
A win is a win.

I'm thinking Keller might be cut for that horrible (non) play. Well, i guess if he was concussed on the earlier play he should be cut some slack. But then again, if he was, he shouldn't have been in the game.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

Since this may be my best opportunity to cheer for my team all season...Go Chiefs!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So the Pats have finally given up on Maroney. Too bad, I always thought he had talent, but it was clear by last season that it was never going to happen for him w/ the Patriots. I hope it works out for him, but damn, worth less than a 4th round draft choice?! That's a pretty steep slide. (It was him plus a 6th rounder for a 4th round pick)

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

beantownbubba wrote:So the Pats have finally given up on Maroney. Too bad, I always thought he had talent, but it was clear by last season that it was never going to happen for him w/ the Patriots. I hope it works out for him, but damn, worth less than a 4th round draft choice?! That's a pretty steep slide. (It was him plus a 6th rounder for a 4th round pick)

Considering the going value for players these days i think it was a pretty good deal. Plus i feel pretty confident that most rbs in the league would suffice as a pats rb (those without ego that is). I also heard that Bellicheck always had it out for him.. any truth to that bean...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flood18 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So the Pats have finally given up on Maroney. Too bad, I always thought he had talent, but it was clear by last season that it was never going to happen for him w/ the Patriots. I hope it works out for him, but damn, worth less than a 4th round draft choice?! That's a pretty steep slide. (It was him plus a 6th rounder for a 4th round pick)

Considering the going value for players these days i think it was a pretty good deal. Plus i feel pretty confident that most rbs in the league would suffice as a pats rb (those without ego that is). I also heard that Bellicheck always had it out for him.. any truth to that bean...

The Pats run a pretty closemouthed ship so it's hard to know for sure what's going on there, but I'm not going out on any limb in saying that Maroney has been in Bellickek's doghouse for some time now. I'm not sure how long it's been but if you said it's been since Maroney arrived, I wouldn't argue w/ you. At any rate, it was pretty clear this summer that the coach had no use for the player, so at best it's a classic case of a guy needing a fresh start.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:
Flood18 wrote:

The Pats run a pretty closemouthed ship so it's hard to know for sure what's going on there, but I'm not going out on any limb in saying that Maroney has been in Bellickek's doghouse for some time now. I'm not sure how long it's been but if you said it's been since Maroney arrived, I wouldn't argue w/ you. At any rate, it was pretty clear this summer that the coach had no use for the player, so at best it's a classic case of a guy needing a fresh start.
And did I hear somewhere that Moss is spouting off about wanting a trade? Could be wrong, but it seems like I saw the end of some ESPN report that mentioned it earlier this week.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote: And did I hear somewhere that Moss is spouting off about wanting a trade? Could be wrong, but it seems like I saw the end of some ESPN report that mentioned it earlier this week.

Not quite. We now have "Randy being Randy" to take up where "Manny being Manny" left off, lol. Moss did not demand to be traded and went to great pains to say that he "was not being negative" and didn't want to cause trouble. However, he did want to make clear that he does not feel appreciated by the Pats, would REALLY like a new contract and if he doesn't get one soon figures that he will continue his career elsewhere next year.

My personal feeling is that the Pats want to get a "contract year" performance out of him and then decide later what to do w/ him. I have no doubt [from my observation of the situation as a fan, i dont have any actual info) that they'd keep him for another year, but i'm not sure how long they're willing to commit to.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

scotto wrote:Since this may be my best opportunity to cheer for my team all season...Go Chiefs!

Looks like the Chiefs are going to ruin their chances at the number 1 pick in next years draft ;)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:
4sooner wrote: And did I hear somewhere that Moss is spouting off about wanting a trade? Could be wrong, but it seems like I saw the end of some ESPN report that mentioned it earlier this week.

Not quite. We now have "Randy being Randy" to take up where "Manny being Manny" left off, lol. Moss did not demand to be traded and went to great pains to say that he "was not being negative" and didn't want to cause trouble. However, he did want to make clear that he does not feel appreciated by the Pats, would REALLY like a new contract and if he doesn't get one soon figures that he will continue his career elsewhere next year.

My personal feeling is that the Pats want to get a "contract year" performance out of him and then decide later what to do w/ him. I have no doubt [from my observation of the situation as a fan, i dont have any actual info) that they'd keep him for another year, but i'm not sure how long they're willing to commit to.
Yeah, that sounds about right. It actually took a lot longer than I anticipated for "Randy to be Randy" up there. And this is really pretty mild for him.
I've never been much of a Pats fan, but I will pull for them as long as the league's top overachiever Wes Welker plays for them. Former Okla high school player of the year that was passed over by OU, OSU,Tulsa, etc. All that guy ever does is work his ass off to become one of the best receivers in the NFL.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Yeah, that sounds about right. It actually took a lot longer than I anticipated for "Randy to be Randy" up there. And this is really pretty mild for him.
I've never been much of a Pats fan, but I will pull for them as long as the league's top overachiever Wes Welker plays for them. Former Okla high school player of the year that was passed over by OU, OSU,Tulsa, etc. All that guy ever does is work his ass off to become one of the best receivers in the NFL.

On edit: And speaking of Oklahoma athletes, how about what Kevin Durant did at the world basketball championships? Incredible string of performances, and went from "next big thing" to actual big thing :)

Welker has already established himself as a great player (and overachiever) but this comeback from really serious knee surgery is nothing short of miraculous. NOBODY comes back that quickly and that fully from that kind of injury/surgery/rehab. Unfortunately for everyone who follows, i guess he's now set the bar, but i'm guessing he's more one of a kind.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bears win!!! Who'da thunk it? Looked like was going to be a long day when Chris Williams went down but the O line rallied and Cutler had a great day.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bears win!!! Who'da thunk it? Looked like was going to be a long day when Chris Williams went down but the O line rallied and Cutler had a great day.

No turnovers by the Bears. I expected it to be a defensive feast for Dallas, love to see the Cowboys @ 0-2!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Bears win!!! Who'da thunk it? Looked like was going to be a long day when Chris Williams went down but the O line rallied and Cutler had a great day.

No turnovers by the Bears. I expected it to be a defensive feast for Dallas, love to see the Cowboys @ 0-2!

I didn't expect the offensive showing, but I really didn't expect the Bear's defense to contain Dallas like they did. they gave up yardage but they shut the run down and stepped it up in crucial situations. I expected The Cowboys to score 40 today. The real test now is against the Packers next week. if the Bears can win that, or even play tough against most people's preseason Super Bowl pick, I might just have to reassess my prediction that the Bears would win 5 games this year.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cutler looked real good today. Devin Hester may turn out to be a player after all. Or not.

How bad were the Pats? Ugh! Ugly, ugly game, very demoralizing, u know not just that they lost but how they lost.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

I'm getting killed in two fantasy leagues but the bears beat the cowboys so short of a telephone pole sized butt plug, i'm gonna be just fine today.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Josh F

Post by Josh F »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bears, Texans, Chiefs and Bucs are all 2-0 (lol)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Bears, Texans, Chiefs and Bucs are all 2-0 (lol)

I don't think the Texans are a surprise though. They were a popular SB pick for a lot of experts out there.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Bears, Texans, Chiefs and Bucs are all 2-0 (lol)

I don't think the Texans are a surprise though. They were a popular SB pick for a lot of experts out there.

always fun to see new teams on top
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Can't wait til next week when Bears' fans realize that their team STILL SUCKS despite a 2-0 start!

WOOT WOOT!
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Ravens vaunted offseason offensive upgrade has failed to materialize. Cam Cam seems to draw up monster gameplans against teams that don't play good defense (go figure); but can't seem to decipher stingy Ds. Flacco took 3 steps backwards yesterday, but playcalling was as much to blame. Wasted stellar effort by Ravens D. Ah well, better luck next week vs. Browns.

Week 2 observations:
Texans are a team to be reckoned with
Chargers ain't dead yet
Steelers D is holding the fort
Either Bears are better than I thought, or Cowboys are worse, or both (and I didn't think Dallas was good)

Mcnabb is still best QB in NFC East
Favre is done

The assinine rule that allows field goal kicks to be nullified, needs to be changed. Why risk injury to players unnecessarily? Why let fans think they have won? Icing the kicker never seemed to work in the past; so I guess they try to get further into the kickers head w/this skulduggery. Cheapens the sport.

I just read Roger Staubach saying how much he admired the way Brady & Manning & others can move up & down the field seemingly at will. He wasn't so enamored w/ how many of those drives were kept alive by ticky tack roughing calls. He said he couldn't remember ever getting a roughing call in his whole career. I won't blather on about how 2 more phantom calls cost the Ravens the game yesterday (that would be to ignore our offensive meltdown). Every game has a few such calls made, and they are far too arbitrary. They also don't seem to help the attrition rate of QBs around the league. Back in Roger's day, the Doomsday Defense, The Purple People Eaters & The Steel Curtain all brought the heat. Players weren't as fast, but the hitting was damn near as vicious. QBs went down, and some were hit late (I guess not Roger). You could always tell when the hit was late and the flag dropped correctly most of the time. Now it's a clusterfuck that needs fixing.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

slipkid42 wrote:The assinine rule that allows field goal kicks to be nullified, needs to be changed. Why risk injury to players unnecessarily? Why let fans think they have won? Icing the kicker never seemed to work in the past; so I guess they try to get further into the kickers head w/this skulduggery. Cheapens the sport.

I hate that too. There should be some kind of penalty for it. Like a reverse delay of game. You can call timeout to nullify the kick, but the ball gets moved forward 5 yards. A kicker shouldn't have to win the game twice...
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:The assinine rule that allows field goal kicks to be nullified, needs to be changed. Why risk injury to players unnecessarily? Why let fans think they have won? Icing the kicker never seemed to work in the past; so I guess they try to get further into the kickers head w/this skulduggery. Cheapens the sport.

Excellent job getting skulduggery in there. Great word, you don't see it every day.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bush out for 6 weeks is going to be rough on the Saints. The NFC could be anyone's for the taking. Oh and is anyone going to win the NFC west?