Cancelled Private Tampa Show

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Cancelled Private Tampa Show

Post by Duke Silver »

So...the Cooley song is about this whole mess, right? Can't figure out if I'm stating the obvious or reading into things too much....
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:So...the Cooley song is about this whole mess, right? Can't figure out if I'm stating the obvious or reading into things too much....

That's what I thought and I laughed my ass off at that song. Only Cooley could frame it as a guy trying to smooth talk and seduce his wife after she catches him walking out of a whore house and using the pay phone at the gas station. "I know how it looks, baby."

"Has it been that long that you don't know me and I don't know you? Or do you just miss me? I miss you too but sometimes I got to take care of the business. I ain't trying to get away with nothing."

"Trying to be The Boss on a Beaver Brown budget."

Brilliant
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Smitty wrote:that actually kinda makes sense on some deep philosophical level

You make sense on some deep philosophical level

RevMatt wrote:Yes and you haven't sold anywhere near your monthly quota of flowers. Better get your ass to the airport now before we make you cut the grass at the compound with a pair of scissors.

Yes Rev. must obey.... must obey.... must obey....
Beebs is not a ragey man

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:I don't equate Republicans with evil either. Johnny Ramone was a Republican.

Johnny Ramone was a right wing reactionary asshole, and a huge prick his entire life. I don't think it's a coincidence that he died from a form of cancer that involved his butthole. Sometimes, when you plant ice, you harvest wind.
Keep calm and have a cigar

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

sactochris wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I don't equate Republicans with evil either. Johnny Ramone was a Republican.

Johnny Ramone was a right wing reactionary asshole, and a huge prick his entire life. I don't think it's a coincidence that he died from a form of cancer that involved his butthole. Sometimes, when you plant ice, you harvest wind.

this whole post = :lol:

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

sactochris wrote:

LOL

Legend has it that one of our mods has personal experience with Johnny. Or was it Dee Dee. Something about the guy walking across his lawn and getting knocked down a flight of stairs.

Actually, I defend Johnny for his alleged prickdom. He spent years working with a junkie (Dee Dee), a guy with o.c.d. (Joey) and a barely functional alcoholic (Marc Bell, although he was in recovery during his second stint with the band.) He had to crack the whip to make things work. If he wasn't agressive with club owners the band would have been ripped off night after night. While Joey and sometimes Dee Dee at times fell under the false promise that with the right producer (and a big budget) The Ramones could be as big as KISS, Johnny had a much more realistic view. In his mind, the Ramones were who they were. Radio stations did not want to play their music in the late seventies and early eighties. The Ramones were never going to be rockstars. He accepted this, resisted taking ridiculous bonuses from the record companies and focused on ways the band could turn a profit night after night, year after year. They toured in a van with a single roadie, played through house p.a's. Didn't lug a bunch of gear. Planned their tour itinerary carefully to further keep down costs. Johnny may have been a prick but he and his bandmates were able to make a living at music from the time their first album was released until they passed away from various cancers and drugs.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Dee Dee Ramone stole my friend Jim's pot.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

sactochris wrote:

I love Johnny Ramone. What Sacotchris said was awful and pisses me off. It should not be said about anybody. If you get confused listen to the music play. 1-2-3-4.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

mark lynn wrote:
sactochris wrote:

I love Johnny Ramone. What Sacotchris said was awful and pisses me off. It should not be said about anybody much less people who died. If you get confused listen to the music play. 1-2-3-4.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:Actually, I defend Johnny for his alleged prickdom. He spent years working with a junkie (Dee Dee), a guy with o.c.d. (Joey) and a barely functional alcoholic (Marc Bell, although he was in recovery during his second stint with the band.) He had to crack the whip to make things work. If he wasn't agressive with club owners the band would have been ripped off night after night. While Joey and sometimes Dee Dee at times fell under the false promise that with the right producer (and a big budget) The Ramones could be as big as KISS, Johnny had a much more realistic view. In his mind, the Ramones were who they were. Radio stations did not want to play their music in the late seventies and early eighties. The Ramones were never going to be rockstars. He accepted this, resisted taking ridiculous bonuses from the record companies and focused on ways the band could turn a profit night after night, year after year. They toured in a van with a single roadie, played through house p.a's. Didn't lug a bunch of gear. Planned their tour itinerary carefully to further keep down costs. Johnny may have been a prick but he and his bandmates were able to make a living at music from the time their first album was released until they passed away from various cancers and drugs.

thanks, Rev..great post--didn't know all this
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

beantownbubba wrote:Smarty, I'm really tired of this topic so i'm gonna do something i normally wouldn't. I apologize, sort of, in advance.

I think you misunderstood a couple of the major issues people raised about the originally intended performance. I think you misunderstood PH's reasons for posting, too.

Whatever. I'm sorry that I think this whole thing is sillier than you all do.

Since politics aren't that important to me, I replaced the R's in the situation with people I know have very different beliefs and priorities than I do - beauty queens. If Miss USA wants DBT to play a private party just for her and her fellow contestants, a) why would I care, and b) how does it even affect me? Yeah, I really don't agree with the things those girls do and what they believe to be important, but they have to be somewhat cool in order to have such good taste in musical entertainment. I'd hope those gals would have a great time and hopefully come out to some shows, as long as they don't mind accidentally brushing elbows with an ugly-ass girl like me.

Imagine yourselves for a second not only as obsessed fans, but obsessed fans with a shit-ton of money. Hell, if I had a $100,000 budget for music at my private party, I'd want DBT to play for me, and I'd sure as hell hope they wouldn't refuse me simply because of who I am and what I believe.

(Oh, wait, I can see that now. "Thank you for expressing interest in considering Drive-By Truckers to play your event. Please take a moment to fill out the attached survey below. Be sure to take your time, and be honest in all your responses. Contingent upon whether, after analyzing your results, the band finds you to be morally acceptable, will we then fully consider your request. Thank You!") Come on, now. That's stupid.

In short, I'm tired of the shit the fans say ruining this band for me. I'm also doggone tired of the increasingly political waters everyone seems to be treading. There are some things, you know, that are more important in life than your political views. Like, eating, for instance? Or taking a shit? (Because if you're not experiencing a routine BM, you've got some very important problems.)

I very recently had a vaginal cancer scare. At twenty years old. It took a full day of tests and examinations for it to all come out to nothing, but while I was sitting there, staring this ignoble possibility in the face, a lot of things just didn't seem to matter much anymore. What really did matter to me were people and things more sacred than what I believed or didn't believe in. As I think one of my favorite book heroines once said, "there's a time to starve and a time to be noble. The way people talk around here, you wouldn't think there's a difference."

I'll be back in October to post an AOTW, but as far as everything else is concerned, I'm done here.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smarty Jones wrote:DBT to play a private party

And there you get right to the heart of it. They weren't playing a public event.

Smarty Jones wrote:an ugly-ass girl like me.

This is a desperate attempt to go to shows incognito. I've seen your picture on Facebook. I can't speak for your ass, but your front looks just fine.

Smarty Jones wrote:In short, I'm tired of the shit the fans say ruining this band for me.

I don't think I'm breaking a confidence to say that Cole Younger and I had a long PM talk about this a while back.

Smarty Jones wrote:I'm also doggone tired of the increasingly political waters everyone seems to be treading. There are some things, you know, that are more important in life than your political views. Like, eating, for instance? Or taking a shit? (Because if you're not experiencing a routine BM, you've got some very important problems.)

Taking a shit is an underrated function. My mom is in the hospital over it right now. But do keep this in mind:

Johnoff Arkoff wrote:In America, you don't take interest in politics. Politics takes interest in you.

Smarty Jones wrote:I very recently had a vaginal cancer scare. At twenty years old. It took a full day of tests and examinations for it to all come out to nothing, but while I was sitting there, staring this ignoble possibility in the face, a lot of things just didn't seem to matter much anymore. What really did matter to me were people and things more sacred than what I believed or didn't believe in. As I think one of my favorite book heroines once said, "there's a time to starve and a time to be noble. The way people talk around here, you wouldn't think there's a difference."

I'll be back in October to post an AOTW, but as far as everything else is concerned, I'm done here.

In an hour, I'll be leading the second half of our church's board retreat. After a very pleasant and convivial breakfast, I have an unpleasant surprise to start the morning off. We're going to do a reader's theater, with scripts and nametags, of a recent long thread--as long as the DBT thread on Facebook about this cancelled show--from disaffected members about why they've left our church. I don't expect them to come back, but we have to stop chasing people off.

As I said when I cancelled my trip to Homecoming this year in order to give the Martin King day sermon, "My religion is getting the way of my spirituality." I don't consider chasing you off any less important than us chasing off members.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I missed the part where anyone chased anybody off.
:roll:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smarty Jones wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Smarty, I'm really tired of this topic so i'm gonna do something i normally wouldn't. I apologize, sort of, in advance.

I think you misunderstood a couple of the major issues people raised about the originally intended performance. I think you misunderstood PH's reasons for posting, too.

Since politics aren't that important to me, I replaced the R's in the situation with people I know have very different beliefs and priorities than I do - beauty queens. If Miss USA wants DBT to play a private party just for her and her fellow contestants, a) why would I care, and b) how does it even affect me? Yeah, I really don't agree with the things those girls do and what they believe to be important, but they have to be somewhat cool in order to have such good taste in musical entertainment. I'd hope those gals would have a great time and hopefully come out to some shows, as long as they don't mind accidentally brushing elbows with an ugly-ass girl like me.

Imagine yourselves for a second not only as obsessed fans, but obsessed fans with a shit-ton of money. Hell, if I had a $100,000 budget for music at my private party, I'd want DBT to play for me, and I'd sure as hell hope they wouldn't refuse me simply because of who I am and what I believe.

(Oh, wait, I can see that now. "Thank you for expressing interest in considering Drive-By Truckers to play your event. Please take a moment to fill out the attached survey below. Be sure to take your time, and be honest in all your responses. Contingent upon whether, after analyzing your results, the band finds you to be morally acceptable, will we then fully consider your request. Thank You!") Come on, now. That's stupid.

In short, I'm tired of the shit the fans say ruining this band for me. I'm also doggone tired of the increasingly political waters everyone seems to be treading. There are some things, you know, that are more important in life than your political views. Like, eating, for instance? Or taking a shit? (Because if you're not experiencing a routine BM, you've got some very important problems.)

I very recently had a vaginal cancer scare. At twenty years old. It took a full day of tests and examinations for it to all come out to nothing, but while I was sitting there, staring this ignoble possibility in the face, a lot of things just didn't seem to matter much anymore. What really did matter to me were people and things more sacred than what I believed or didn't believe in. As I think one of my favorite book heroines once said, "there's a time to starve and a time to be noble. The way people talk around here, you wouldn't think there's a difference."

Smarty, as i recall this is your 2d dramatic good-bye, which is one more than i personally can get excited about. Your contributions have always been welcome and well received here but diva bullshit is diva bullshit. Frankly I don't understand very much of what you wrote above. Best as i can tell you're taking the recent "controversy" a lot more seriously and a lot less "silly" than most people here, but maybe i'm just not getting it.

But you did manage to hit one of my hot buttons. I really don't need a 20 year old lecturing me on what's important or what my priorities should be (or assuming what they are). You want ignoble? Imagine this and then let's talk: Imagine your child being 13 years old and going through four days of tests before getting the diagnosis: some cancer you've never heard of. Imagine him going through all the horrors of chemotherapy, multiple surgeries and all the rest and coming back "clean" and then after 2.5 years of routine checkups getting the word that the cancer is back. And doing it all again and coming out clean. And then imagine the absolute fear of every single quarterly checkup thereafter and what it does to your entire family every fucking 90 days. And then imagine getting the word that the cancer is back AGAIN. And going through it all again and coming out clean. And then imagine the 90 day checkups after that. And then imagine getting the bad news yet AGAIN. And then imagine that this one paragraph can't even begin to possibly describe the past 10 years of my son's life.

NOW let's talk about what my fucking priorities in life ought to be. I have never ever said anything like this on this board or anywhere else, not to my own kids and not to anyone else. Nor have i ever felt the need to. And yes i know how obnoxious it is. Take it as a measure of how mad I am that I'm saying it now: You're 20 years old. You know nothing. NOTHING.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edited to insert a missing word.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

damn, Bubba.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I've never understood the need for the big emotional goodbye letter on a messageboard.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

sactochris wrote:I've never understood the need for the big emotional goodbye letter on a messageboard.

Back when Murmurs (an R.E.M. messageboard) was much more active someone created a "flounce generator" just for that very purpose. It's long gone now but there are some similar websites out there. By the way, this isn't a reflection on anything Smarty had to say. I'm just commenting on the big goodbye thing in general.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
sactochris wrote:I've never understood the need for the big emotional goodbye letter on a messageboard.

Back when Murmurs (an R.E.M. messageboard) was much more active someone created a "flounce generator" just for that very purpose. It's long gone now but there are some similar websites out there. By the way, this isn't a reflection on anything Smarty had to say. I'm just commenting on the big goodbye thing in general.

I have no problem with smart at all. I will miss the horse talk.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Someone put some kind of angst potion I the 3DD well lately it seems.

Smarty, sorry to hear about your cancer scare. Hope that's the last of that.

BTB, really sorry to hear what you all have been through and I hope that shit stays far away from your lives going forward.

I'm here in Asheville on a little reprieve from helping provide hospice care to a friend that cancer is taking away from here. It's a cliche, but nobody knows when it's their time and if I had my way we'd all cut each other a little more slack along the way and not get as caught up in our differences or problems with one another.

When it comes to politics, I'm about as passionate as anyone I know, but I'd still sit down for a coffee or beer with anyone, especially if we don't have to talk about bowel movements 8-)

See some of you at the rock show....

Sub

Post by Sub »

There really is a lot of drama here lately which mostly seems to be triggered by things that make no sense to me. That I would think most adults could just shrug off and not be feeding into the BS.

Maybe its DBTs hiatus leaving the time normally spent on anticipating shows and albums to be filled with lots of petty arguing.

Either way its still really easy for me to look the other way but I'll rarely even check the everything else section because of it.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:damn, Bubba.

x2
If you don't run you rust

gerg

Post by gerg »

Smarty Jones wrote:

:lol: at every word of this.

gerg

Post by gerg »

Sorry to hear about your son, Bubba. That has to be constantly terrifying and exhausting. Best to you and yours.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

gerg wrote:Sorry to hear about your son, Bubba. That has to be constantly terrifying and exhausting. Best to you and yours.

Thank you. Good to see u here.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I know I personally put the political thread in my rear view mirror because it just made no sense to do anything else.

By now the people that go in there know pretty much where I stand politically and after while a person has said all there is to say. The only thing left is to just start arguing. Who wants to do that?

To me, whether anybody means for it to or not, that stuff starts to spill over into other parts of the board. I'm including myself. When posting somewhere else that has nothing to do with politics, maybe you remember something some other member posted in the political thread and you didn't care for their tone. Now that colors everything they say or at least it starts to do that. It shouldn't of course but it happens. Probably just human nature. So to be able to keep enjoying this place I figured it was probably best to just leave it alone.

PM sent bubba.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

A few things.

I don't recall anybody being run off this board. We didnt all agree on the convention gig but I don't think anyone was disrespectful towards another board member in the course of the discussion. That is what a message board is. In the time I have been here we have debated about trifectas, the song "Bob", ABAAC and any number of other things I've forgotten about. That is the way things go on a message board. You don't agree on everything. But we hash things out and then hang out at the next show

Second, I almost died a couple of years back and have been dealing with a death sentence ever since. Everyone decides for themselves "what's really important" and what their priorities ought to be. My ex gives me shit for going to DBT concerts, playing gigs with my band and riding my motorcycle. She thinks that because I have cancer I should have different priorities and other things should be more important to me. But she doesn't get to decide that. I do.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Hmmmm... some mixed emotions here.

First, I want to apologize to all those who didn't know about my son's long term and on-going battle w/ cancer. It's not the kind of thing i bring up lightly or just to make an argument on a message board; i actually thought pretty much everyone here knew about it and my attitude as i wrote was that i was in a conversation among friends. I would not have knowingly brought it up in that way to an audience not already familiar w/ the story - it's a sensitive, difficult story to hear as well as tell and i recognize that. Nor do i want to cheapen my son's experience to make debating points. Consider it to be a measure of my comfort level here.

Second, I want to thank everyone who publicly and privately expressed their concern and support for our family. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Third, I am not sorry for the thrust of my post. I think it was pretty much an appropriate response to an over the top unwarranted post (w/ the caveat above if i had realized that so many people didn't know about bryan). However, I do feel bad about the timing because i recognize that in my way I contributed to the very angst, incivility, oversensitivity and lack of humor on the board which I and others have been bemoaning lately. I'd like to feel that this isn't quite that to the extent that it was a very specific and hopefully proportionate reply to a very specific post but i recognize that in the current environment the collateral damage is real. And I do apologize to everyone for my contribution to that negativity. I think those of you who know me know the kind of board i want this to be and I like to think i mostly make positive contributions in that direction. But I guess we all have our moments and this was mine.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Jeez, you miss a coupla days and all hell breaks loose. Fuckin' politics. Not to be insensitive, but a lot of thin skin goin' on around here. Smarty, I will miss your equine insights.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Slipkid42 wrote:Not to be insensitive, but a lot of thin skin goin' on around here.

I'm deeply offended by this. If anyone needs me I'll be PMing a moderator and preparing for my dramatic exit.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Beebs, I had pegged you as one of the thicker skinned ones; but that's a great idea. Let's start a thread to see who can have the most dramatic exit. Winner actually has to go.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light