Other Sports

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Other Sports

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Tom Watson's final British Open moment was pretty special. Glad I just saw it and really wish I had been there (when we were at St Andrews in 2011 we made a vow to try our best to make the 2015 Open but it wasn't to be). He's likely my favorite individual athlete ever and in the realm of sport likely the only person who rivaled Coach Dean Smith for my sporting esteem. Got to hang out with him for 30 minutes back in 1996 and he was even cooler than I imagined. My friends and I still quote to this day things he said to us. You guys may laugh at all this, have at it. My hats off and my glass is raised to Tom Watson!

Yes, it was quite a moment. Too bad it couldn't have taken place in front of a packed house, but you have to give the supposedly staid, rules bound R&A types credit for letting tradition and theatre* overrule the rules to allow Watson to finish. Kudos all around and godspeed to one of the real good guys.

*Note Brit spelling :)
I am in favour of your spelling choice :lol: Tom Watson is a god there so I am not surprised that they made it happen. Game recognize game
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:looks highly unlikely that Eldrick Woods will make the cut
as predicted, first time he's missed the cut in consecutive majors. Guess he is still having major difficulties in activating the glutes :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tremendous Open, even though I'm not much of a fan of the winner. Speith so damn close......

I have been conducting a completely unscientific survey and my results find that 100% of the time some choad yells "it's in the hole!" it is indeed not in the hole :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Get the number of that truck! The US men's national soccer team was playing SO well, so beautifully against Jamaica last night for the first 30 or so minutes and then WHAM! they got steamrolled before eventually losing 2-1. Jamaica deserved the win, I'm not saying otherwise, but given the way the game started and the historical record between the 2 teams, it was a total shocker. Fox cannot cover soccer. Awful, just awful.

ESPN proves once again that it is now the national enquirer of sports tv. They actually tried to make a controversy out of a picture of Speith drinking from Z. Johnson's claret jug on their shared private plane ride home. I know they have 24 hrs to fill times umpteen channels, but cover minor league baseball or silicon valley softball leagues or something instead of making shit up.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just so linkous is clear on the popularity of soccer in the US: Americans watched Sharknado 3 in numbers many fold higher than they watched the Gold Cup game
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Just so linkous is clear on the popularity of soccer in the US: Americans watched Sharknado 3 in numbers many fold higher than they watched the Gold Cup game

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cause for celebration: Common sense prevails! Boston will NOT be hosting the '24 Olympics.

I never saw the need to examine the so-called proposal in detail because the idea seemed so outlandish and borderline stupid from the get go but I'm glad that this is not going any further.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d92f6af5 ... wage-virus

Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.

An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues — results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.

sounds like swimming in that legendary filth hole Lake Hepatitis at the Gathering of the Juggalos would still be better for your health than this!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've seen this cause quite the uproar on social media the past couple days; it's not really "surfing", the harm done to the environment, disregard to those in the water, etc., etc., all of which have been answered and none of which take away from the awesome.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I've seen this cause quite the uproar on social media the past couple days; it's not really "surfing", the harm done to the environment, disregard to those in the water, etc., etc., all of which have been answered and none of which take away from the awesome.

Whoa! 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

the PGA is shaping up for what could an awesome final two rounds, tons of marquee names in the hunt and playing well. This course has been giving up low scores and there looks to be no reason for that to stop now. And speaking of the course, I absolutely love it!

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Spieth against Day will be a good show tomorrow.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

whatwouldcooleydo?

Daddy_played_poker wrote:Spieth against Day will be a good show tomorrow.
Indeed but there are others lurking as well. Whatever happens it should be a blast to watch! Cards on table: I'm for Day

whatwouldcooleydo?

a la Roger Daltrey

http://deadspin.com/quit-smoking-weed-a ... 1724435192

Novak Djokovic is fed up, man. Right after he took the first set from Jeremy Chardy in yesterday’s Rogers Cup semifinal in Montreal, Djokovic complained to the official that he could smell someone smoking the devil’s lettuce in the arena.You can see Djokovic saying there, “Someone is smoking weed, I can smell it. I’m getting dizzy.”

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Don't normally get too exited about the Little League World Series, but the team in our Township here in Central PA is headed to Williamsport. Redland Baseball is our local Little League affiliate. All headed to Redland HS where my kids went. My son taught one of those kids to play golf at the local golf camp, and the Redland HS school nurse was one of the coaches of the team was introduced on ESPN before the game against, Jackson, New Jersey.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Daddy_played_poker wrote:Spieth against Day will be a good show tomorrow.
Indeed but there are others lurking as well. Whatever happens it should be a blast to watch! Cards on table: I'm for Day
glad "my guy" won. He's been knocking on the door of a major for some time, nice to see him kick it in. He's got a ton of game and has more personality than the typical guy on tour.

Spieth's season is one for history, despite not getting the 3 majors. He won 2, finished second in a third, and finished one shot out of a playoff in the other. It just goes to show that what he was flirting with is really, really difficult to pull off-- that's why the only two to do it are named Hogan and Woods. A lot of great, great golfers have won two in a year--hell, even a non-great player like Mark O'Meara did it-- but it takes legendary talent and probably also a lot of luck to pull it off.
On that tip, with a little luck Day could have won 2 or maybe even 3 this year.

'Twas a great year for the majors.

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://deadspin.com/sarah-palin-lays-in ... 1727183035

Unemployed television personality Sarah Palin has ripped ESPN for taking Curt Schilling off TV over his racist-uncle meme schtick.

I share this only because there is pure gold to be found in this comment:

“Those bastards in Bristol are ruining everything,” Palin continued. “I’ll be babysitting every weekend ‘til I’m fucking 75 years old at this rate.”

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ser ... -all-time/

ungodly nerdy and wonky to the extreme but still an interesting read, especially for those of the sabermetric ilk.

And hear I was thinking the only ELO featured Jeff Lynne :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

posted this twice (also in the random youtube goodness thread) because it needs to be seen

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

The USMNT's performance against Brazil last night was absolutely dismal. I realize it was just a friendly, doesn't count, etc. But still. :oops:
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I'm too busy enjoying Chelsea at 13th in the standings to get upset over a friendly but you're right, it was a poor showing.

whatwouldcooleydo?

njMark wrote:I'm too busy enjoying Chelsea at 13th in the standings to get upset over a friendly but you're right, it was a poor showing.
Only 4 in but it is nice to see Chelsea way down there, a spot below Villa via differential. Very excited for the return of the Premier League this weekend, though not necessarily thrilled for Villa to go to Leicester this Sunday. City is on fire, 4 wins and no goals allowed, and they have added Kevin De Bruyne.

whatwouldcooleydo?

DOWN GOES SERENA!!!

what an upset, never saw that coming

no Grand Slam for you! And in a moment of mega confusion, Mercury Morris, Bob Griese, and Larry Csonka pop champagne and fire up cigars :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Djokovic absolutely destroyed Cilic and moves on to the finals. He already has 9 Grand Slam titles and will be playing for a 10th on Sunday. As of this moment the only men who have won more GS titles are: Federer, Sampras, Nadal, Emerson, Laver, Borg, and Tilden. He never seems to get his due but clearly it's not too soon to discuss his place among the all-time greats. Barring injury, he is the only active player who looks to be able to win many more GS titles, as Federer is definitely closing in on the end and Nadal is always injured

All that said, I SO want Federer to win his 18th Grand Slam this weekend!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

oilpiers scoffs at everyone who predicted Serena to win it all
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:oilpiers scoffs at everyone who predicted Serena to win it all

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Rugby World Cup kicks off tonight with (hosts) England v Fiji. The tournament lasts six weeks which the missus is delighted about. I'm taking my Dad to the South Africa v Samoa game next weekend, which is all the tickets I could get (and afford). Whole thing should be a lot of fun.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say that I think this young Jason Day fella just might have a future in golf

Speaking of futures in golf, it is being reported that Eldrick Woods is having another back surgery

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Honestly, the combines were better machines, but as you can see, the brand may be dead, but the equipment is still proudly owned and used:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... an/413857/

There’s no sphere of television more depressingly homogenous than sports broadcasting, not only in demographics, but also in formatting. Ninety percent of the content on channels like ESPN involves ex-athletes and talk-radio hosts batting around scripted talking points, and the lack of new voices is one reason there’s so little real discourse about controversial issues in sports. But since it debuted in March, Fox Sports 1’s Garbage Time With Katie Nolan has broken that pattern. Nolan’s freewheeling talk show, airing every Wednesday at midnight, stands out as much for its humor as it does for its willingness to tackle tough topics such as domestic violence and mental illness.