Other Sports

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Other Sports

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

last night the Formula One season opened in Australia. It featured a horrific-looking accident, albeit one in which the driver walked away. Absolute insanity

was watching live (it came on around 10 PM PST) and was certain that Alonso was either seriously injured or dead
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:last night the Formula One season opened in Australia. It featured a horrific-looking accident, albeit one in which the driver walked away. Absolute insanity

was watching live (it came on around 10 PM PST) and was certain that Alonso was either seriously injured or dead
Modern safety equipment is amazing.

whatwouldcooleydo?

watched this last night, not an easy watch necessarily but worthwhile

whatwouldcooleydo?

flipping through the DirecTV guide over the past two days and keep seeing that ESPN2 is broadcasting college bowling. COLLEGE BOWLING! I had no idea there was such a thing

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

One of the big ongoing stories in English sport finally got resolved today. After a two year inquest the jury have finally given their verdict into the Hillsborough disaster, when 96 football fans lost their lives. The jury has come to the conclusion that the deaths were unlawful killings, which means that the police have been found to have contributed to the deaths of the fans and may face criminal prosecution.

I can remember watching this as it happened live on the TV and it still remains one of the most horrifyng things I've ever seen broadcast. I also watched the plane plough into the second tower on 9/11 and the subsequent collapse of the towers live on the TV and this ranks alongside that.

The link to the BBC story is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

dogstar wrote:One of the big ongoing stories in English sport finally got resolved today. After a two year inquest the jury have finally given their verdict into the Hillsborough disaster, when 96 football fans lost their lives. The jury has come to the conclusion that the deaths were unlawful killings, which means that the police have been found to have contributed to the deaths of the fans and may face criminal prosecution.

I can remember watching this as it happened live on the TV and it still remains one of the most horrifyng things I've ever seen broadcast. I also watched the plane plough into the second tower on 9/11 and the subsequent collapse of the towers live on the TV and this ranks alongside that.

The link to the BBC story is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337
should have known you would beat me to posting this, just started reading the news

whatwouldcooleydo?

and they say golf isn't a contact sport

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Was that Danny Noonan?
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

whatwouldcooleydo?

drommel56 wrote:

Was that Danny Noonan?

whatwouldcooleydo?

holy shit, Jim Furyk just shot 58 in a PGA tour event and breaks the previous record of 59 for lowest round ever in a PGA event. As a lifelong fan of the game and someone who once played at a single-digit handicap, shooting 58 is mindboggling, even more so when you take into account that he was playing at tour course conditions. Phenomenal

whatwouldcooleydo?

I can't imagine a scenario in which I would ever watch a truck race. That said, check this out, stay until the end. Was watching ND/TX and saw on the ticker that some dude took out the other with "a leaping tackle" so I had to hunt down the video

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I can't imagine a scenario in which I would ever watch a truck race. That said, check this out, stay until the end. Was watching ND/TX and saw on the ticker that some dude took out the other with "a leaping tackle" so I had to hunt down the video

The trucks used to be awesome when they ran lots of short tracks and there were older, veteran guys in good equipment. These days the races are just wreck fests with lots of kids who can't buy a drink but can buy a good ride.
I do recommend watching the trucks on the dirt at Eldora.
I love racing btw..I used to do some dirt racing and still go watch pretty often.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

some seriously high-quality Ryder Cup smack getting talked here!

http://deadspin.com/danny-willetts-brot ... 1787199942

Writing for National Club Golfer, Pete Willett clearly has his money on his brother and defending champion Team Europe, but acknowledges that the Americans’ greatest asset is their fans. Here, Pete describes said fans:

Team USA have only won five of the last 16 Ryder Cups. Four of those five victories have come on home soil. For the Americans to stand a chance of winning, they need their baying mob of imbeciles to caress their egos every step of the way. Like one of those brainless bastards from your childhood, the one that pulled down your shorts during the school’s Christmas assembly (f**k you, Paul Jennings), they only have the courage to keg you if they’re backed up by a giggling group of reprobates. Team Europe needs to shut those groupies up.

They need to silence the pudgy, basement-dwelling, irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream ‘Baba booey’ until their jelly faces turn red.

They need to stun the angry, unwashed, Make America Great Again swarm, desperately gripping their concealed-carry compensators and belting out a mini-erection inducing ‘mashed potato,’ hoping to impress their cousin.

They need to smash the obnoxious dads, with their shiny teeth, Lego man hair, medicated ex-wives, and resentful children. Squeezed into their cargo shorts and boating shoes, they’ll bellow ‘get in the hole’ whilst high-fiving all the other members of the Dentists’ Big Game Hunt Society.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

That high-pitched whine is the sound of the snowboarder activating his inflatable backpack — which likely saved him from being buried.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How about this year's Australian Open? Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the matches, but you gotta love the results: The Williams Sisters in another grand slam final after all these years? FEDERER back in a grand slam final after last year's injury marred campaign? Nadal also back from serious injury? And a Nadal-Federer grand slam final???!!!! It doesn't get any better than that. I'm gonna have to figure out this time zone thing to try to catch at least some of this action.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:How about this year's Australian Open? Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the matches, but you gotta love the results: The Williams Sisters in another grand slam final after all these years? FEDERER back in a grand slam final after last year's injury marred campaign? Nadal also back from serious injury? And a Nadal-Federer grand slam final???!!!! It doesn't get any better than that. I'm gonna have to figure out this time zone thing to try to catch at least some of this action.

women's final comes on at 3 AM your time, a little over 2.5 hours from now

same with the men's final, tomorrow night at 3 AM eastern

or just get a DVR

whatwouldcooleydo?

oh yeah: GO FEDERER!!!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:How about this year's Australian Open? Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the matches, but you gotta love the results: The Williams Sisters in another grand slam final after all these years? FEDERER back in a grand slam final after last year's injury marred campaign? Nadal also back from serious injury? And a Nadal-Federer grand slam final???!!!! It doesn't get any better than that. I'm gonna have to figure out this time zone thing to try to catch at least some of this action.

women's final comes on at 3 AM your time, a little over 2.5 hours from now

same with the men's final, tomorrow night at 3 AM eastern

or just get a DVR
Probably will DVR the men's final but it just aint the same thing knowing that the outcome has already been determined (even if I manage not to know what it is). Oddly enough, the timing is about as bad as it could be for me personally: 3 hrs later and I'd probably get up to watch. 3 hrs earlier and I'd probably stay up to watch.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Probably will DVR the men's final but it just aint the same thing knowing that the outcome has already been determined (even if I manage not to know what it is). Oddly enough, the timing is about as bad as it could be for me personally: 3 hrs later and I'd probably get up to watch. 3 hrs earlier and I'd probably stay up to watch.
I hear you on that. Midnight start here makes watching in real time much easier

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Probably will DVR the men's final but it just aint the same thing knowing that the outcome has already been determined (even if I manage not to know what it is). Oddly enough, the timing is about as bad as it could be for me personally: 3 hrs later and I'd probably get up to watch. 3 hrs earlier and I'd probably stay up to watch.
Sheesh. The least you could do is invite me over, don't you think?

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Sheesh. The least you could do is invite me over, don't you think?
My door is ALWAYS open...... figuratively

you've got 8 hours. By the time you get to Logan and fly to Sacramento, almost certainly with at least one connection in between, and then drive the 90 miles from Sac to Chico, it will be Monday :lol: probably better to just stay up

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Congratulations to Roger Federer on his 18th major title and to Serena Williams on her 23rd major title.

A few years ago I said in this thread that I didn't think Federer would ever win another major. I've never been so happy to eat crow as I am today.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill in CT wrote:Congratulations to Roger Federer on his 18th major title and to Serena Williams on her 23rd major title.

A few years ago I said in this thread that I didn't think Federer would ever win another major. I've never been so happy to eat crow as I am today.

Big Fed fan so this makes me happy! I only lasted midway through 3rd set, had to crash. Absolutely no way I could have made it to the end

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is so fuckin' awesome! Even better than when some dipshit celebrates a TD early and gets stripped or drops the ball shy of the the goal line

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

That was fun. And way over due.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

LBRod wrote:Image
That was fun. And way over due.
Agreed. Well deserved Sergio!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:That was fun. And way over due.
And that is why we watch. Wonderful theater, great result. Too bad Fowler & Spieth couldn't stay in the mix but even so it was a wonderful duel.