Other Sports

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Other Sports

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

this could have been an enormous disaster

this fan video is frightening

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I watch/follow EPL religiously and also keep up with Bundesliga and other European domestic leagues as much as I can, but can't be bothered when it comes to MLS.
It's the same way for me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

Earnhardt Jr's reaction to that crash

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/omfg- ... 1716090579

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

The safety technology in NASCAR is truly amazing. To think a guy can walk away with only a bruised arm and tailbone is unbelievable.

That's the engine burning in the foreground!! :shock:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

I just happened to see the last 30 laps. The Dead show was over and I was about to crash when I saw on ESPN.com that the race was still on-- at that time it was nearly midnight PST--so I flipped to the race instead of going to bed. I thought for sure someone, maybe multiple people, were gonna be dead. 'Strictor plate racin; at its "finest"
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:The safety technology in NASCAR is truly amazing. To think a guy can walk away with only a bruised arm and tailbone is unbelievable.
the food people eating in the stands is likely way more dangerous than the actual racin'

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Earnhardt Jr's reaction to that crash

This is why I have a scanner when I go to nascar. Unfiltered reality, and in this case, Juniors humanity.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Earnhardt Jr's reaction to that crash

This is why I have a scanner when I go to nascar. Unfiltered reality, and in this case, Juniors humanity.
oh, the Dale Jr's humanity!

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is the first thing I thought of when seeing the crash last night. 83 dead

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Holy shit!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:^^^^
Holy shit!
yeah, I read somewhere that they pretty much just had bales of hay for separation. Recipe for disaster

linkous

Post by linkous »

Bill in CT wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I watch/follow EPL religiously and also keep up with Bundesliga and other European domestic leagues as much as I can, but can't be bothered when it comes to MLS.
It's the same way for me.
Funnily enough the rest of the world feels the same way as well!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:^^^^
Holy shit!
yeah, I read somewhere that they pretty much just had bales of hay for separation. Recipe for disaster
My grandmother got hit by a race car in the 30s at a track in NJ I think. Crashed through the bales, launched her in the air, landed on the next car and launched her into the crowd. She had all the news clippings about it and they all said she was killed.

You guys almost missed out on me.
Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://deadspin.com/small-child-dunks-g ... 1716284461

(1) kid travels worse than Lebron :lol:

(2) kid, act like ya been there

whatwouldcooleydo?

someone associated with the NFL goes berserker on some kids? Never saw that coming

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... g-boy.html

The victim stated Kromer also told him if he reported him to the police he would kill his family.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I really thought Federer had a chance yesterday. The Djoker's righting himself in the 3rd set was one of the greatest examples of mental discipline and will in the sporting context that I've ever seen. Plus his game is pretty good too, lol. I'm not ready to write Federer off just yet, but realistically if his window is open at all, it's down to millimeters wide.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Who says that Brits (and golfers) don't have a sense of humor? Dustin Johnson paired w/ Jordan Spieth in the first round of "The Open Championship."

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:I really thought Federer had a chance yesterday. The Djoker's righting himself in the 3rd set was one of the greatest examples of mental discipline and will in the sporting context that I've ever seen. Plus his game is pretty good too, lol. I'm not ready to write Federer off just yet, but realistically if his window is open at all, it's down to millimeters wide.
Federer is playing excellent tennis and should be applauded for being ranked number 2 even though he turns 34 next month. Djokovic is even better right now though and passed some big names (Connors, Lendl, Agassi) on the list of major title winners yesterday. It's amazing that Djokovic has only won one U.S. Open when we consider how good he is on hard courts. The summer hard court season and U.S. Open will be great to watch.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yes to all of that, bill.

whatwouldcooleydo?

less than 48 hours until the start of one of my very favorite sporting events, The Open, and of course this year it's at St Andrews. This should be good

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:less than 48 hours until the start of one of my very favorite sporting events, The Open, and of course this year it's at St Andrews. This should be good
Yes. It is nice to watch a while before heading to work.
It will be interesting to see how the recent rains will change the way the St Andrews plays.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:less than 48 hours until the start of one of my very favorite sporting events, The Open, and of course this year it's at St Andrews. This should be good
It will be interesting to see how the recent rains will change the way the St Andrews plays.
You don't need to worry about the rain, what you really need to worry about is the wind and there are gales forecast for Friday and Saturday so should be interesting.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

dogstar wrote:
LBRod wrote:
You don't need to worry about the rain, what you really need to worry about is the wind and there are gales forecast for Friday and Saturday so should be interesting.
Indeed, Friday and Saturday look to be a lot of fun. Love it when we get to see these guys play in the wind and rain. I think watching The Open in the mid-70s and seeing Tom Watson all bundled up in cold weather, wind, and rain is what got me into the game in the first place

whatwouldcooleydo?

man these guys went low today in big numbers, though they better score while the conditions allow it. Speith certainly did nothing to hurt his chances going into the weekend. Looks like there is a really good chance we get the sequel of the Speith/Johnson Show from Chambers Bay

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:man these guys went low today in big numbers, though they better score while the conditions allow it. Speith certainly did nothing to hurt his chances going into the weekend. Looks like there is a really good chance we get the sequel of the Speith/Johnson Show from Chambers Bay
100% chance of rain tomorrow, and gusty all weekend. Those numbers won't last
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:man these guys went low today in big numbers, though they better score while the conditions allow it. Speith certainly did nothing to hurt his chances going into the weekend. Looks like there is a really good chance we get the sequel of the Speith/Johnson Show from Chambers Bay
100% chance of rain tomorrow, and gusty all weekend. Those numbers won't last
yep, like I said, they better score while the conditions allow it. Can't wait to see the weather beat these guys from pillar to post :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

looks like they lucked out today with the 3+ hour delay due to standing water. Still sounds like tomorrow will be rough so hopefully they won't get saved by the bell and will be forced to gut it out

whatwouldcooleydo?

looks highly unlikely that Eldrick Woods will make the cut

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tom Watson's final British Open moment was pretty special. Glad I just saw it and really wish I had been there (when we were at St Andrews in 2011 we made a vow to try our best to make the 2015 Open but it wasn't to be). He's likely my favorite individual athlete ever and in the realm of sport likely the only person who rivaled Coach Dean Smith for my sporting esteem. Got to hang out with him for 30 minutes back in 1996 and he was even cooler than I imagined. My friends and I still quote to this day things he said to us. You guys may laugh at all this, have at it. My hats off and my glass is raised to Tom Watson!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Tom Watson's final British Open moment was pretty special. Glad I just saw it and really wish I had been there (when we were at St Andrews in 2011 we made a vow to try our best to make the 2015 Open but it wasn't to be). He's likely my favorite individual athlete ever and in the realm of sport likely the only person who rivaled Coach Dean Smith for my sporting esteem. Got to hang out with him for 30 minutes back in 1996 and he was even cooler than I imagined. My friends and I still quote to this day things he said to us. You guys may laugh at all this, have at it. My hats off and my glass is raised to Tom Watson!

Yes, it was quite a moment. Too bad it couldn't have taken place in front of a packed house, but you have to give the supposedly staid, rules bound R&A types credit for letting tradition and theatre* overrule the rules to allow Watson to finish. Kudos all around and godspeed to one of the real good guys.

*Note Brit spelling :)