Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Outdoor Thread

Post by Smitty »

Just took off a 4 ft rattlesnake that had chased a squirrel up a bigass sweetgum tree about 15 ft from our front porch.
On another note, just got my commercial trapping license and I'm gearing up for this winter - watch out furbearers.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Just took off a 4 ft rattlesnake that had chased a squirrel up a bigass sweetgum tree about 15 ft from our front porch.
On another note, just got my commercial trapping license and I'm gearing up for this winter - watch out furbearers.

Smitty, is skinnin' bucks and runnin' trout lines.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Don't let the cute and fuzzy looks fool you. This is a dangerous pair of dastardly gun dogs. Well, the big one is. The little dude is a rookie, but he's comes from good stock.

The Lockster and the Buzz Bomb.

Stone cold grouse killer. Well, we have our hopes.

Cool deal, Smitty. Good luck this winter.
Not forever, just for now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:Just took off a 4 ft rattlesnake that had chased a squirrel up a bigass sweetgum tree about 15 ft from our front porch.

Like i said, badass.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

beantownbubba wrote:

Like i said, badass.

Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Went for an amazing hike to Heart Lake. The pic is looking north into Oregon. The big ass mountain is Mt. Shasta (14,161') and the lake is Castle Lake (Heart Lake is behind me). The weather was perfect and the water even better.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:Image

Sweet pic! That hike must've been great!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ummmm, yeah, well, the elevator was out so I had to walk up to the 4th floor to sit on a friend's deck and watch the fireworks over Boston last nite. :lol: :lol:

Edit: I guess that wasn't totally clear: Freakin' fantastic, BK!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

here's junior hooking up with a bonnet head shark on the beach in South Carolina yesterday morning...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm about to bust for deer season to get here. Got a fishing trip coming up too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Image

:shock: that is one weird looking shark. I bet JR was stoked!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

awesome pics, bovine and clams!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

oops
Last edited by Clams on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

A morning hike in Forestville State Park, outside of Preston, Minnesota. Good example of Driftless region terrain and my new back yard.

Ridge-top view in Yellow River State Forest, Waterville IA. You can't see it in the picture, but several New Belgium Shifts were consumed from that vantage point.

Cliff in Whitewater State Park, near Rochester, MN.

Oliver set a personal best 5 miles on this hike in Whitewater Park.

The Iowan family picture. Christmas card material, right there.

What I feel is a beautiful early morning vista. Sunrise near Elma, Iowa.

Looking north from Pike's Peak, Colorado.

Limestone bluffs above the South Branch of the Root River, Greenleafton, MN.

Boating on the Mighty Mississippi. Iowa on the right, Wisconsin on the left.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beautiful pics, ya'll.
Has anyone here had any experience trapping or more specifically shipping your pelts to NAFA?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think this thread needs some Smitty Snake Slaughter pics.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:I think this thread needs some Smitty Snake Slaughter pics.

I actually caught and released the rattlesnake, took him way down in the Talladega National Forest wildlife management area and let him loose - but whenever I get the motivation I've got to move this pile of old wood in our backyard and it's almost a guarantee I'll find some serpents in that death trap... I'll get the camera ready :)
I'm going to be setting some float lines in a couple beaver ponds for turtles, some crawfish traps on Terrapin Creek in Piedmont, AL and then going coyote hunting this weekend... I'll make sure to bring a camera :twisted:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:

I actually caught and released the rattlesnake, took him way down in the Talladega National Forest wildlife management area and let him loose - but whenever I get the motivation I've got to move this pile of old wood in our backyard and it's almost a guarantee I'll find some serpents in that death trap... I'll get the camera ready :)
I'm going to be setting some float lines in a couple beaver ponds for turtles, some crawfish traps on Terrapin Creek in Piedmont, AL and then going coyote hunting this weekend... I'll make sure to bring a camera :twisted:

Man. I fancy myself to be pretty fearless when it comes to the outdoors, but poisonous snakes are just something I don't do. There weren't any right where I grew up, and there are a few rattlers in the hills between where I live now and the Mississippi, but they aren't that plentiful and tend to stay way out in the woods, away from people. Sons of bitches give me the willies.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

speaking of rattlesnakes, I ran into this a few years ago while accessing one of our remote weather stations.

more random shots from work trips...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Are those javelinas? Bad ass.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Smitty wrote:

I had two experiences last year with Timber Rattlesnakes at my house in WV. One was coiled up near the heat pump about 2 feet from where I was standing. Killed it with a shovel because it was in an area where my dogs do their business. I later on found out that Timber Rattlesnakes are an endangered species in WV. The second one was on the back patio sunning itself on the grill cover. I caught it with a fireplace poker and put it in a cooler and let it go about 10 miles down the road. I have pics, if I can find them I will post them later.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Deer family chillin' in the South Root River.

Monday's hike

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

The Root River...gives me shivers thinking about the monster Brown trout that ran me ragged before straightening the hook. You live in one of the nicest parts of the country that, thankfully, not every SOB from Jersey knows about.

Back to the outdoors, here's me and the kids trolling for ore tankers on the St. Lawrence.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

My lab Barnaby loves playing in the river.
Cacapon River, Morgan County, WV

Watching a hawk.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Big Tom, is that a Chesepeake Bay Retriever?

As far as snakes go, I grew up in the NJ 'burbs where they were few and far between. Occasionally a kid might catch a garter snake in the woods but that was about it. They give me the willies. I did find a six foot black snake in my church in south Jersey one Good Friday. I ran out the door cussing like a preacher who just found a snake in his church. My organist lived next door. She laughed at me, put on a pair of garden gloves, grabbed the snake and let him loose in the field behind the church.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

RevMatt wrote:Big Tom, is that a Chesepeake Bay Retriever?

As far as snakes go, I grew up in the NJ 'burbs where they were few and far between. Occasionally a kid might catch a garter snake in the woods but that was about it. They give me the willies. I did find a six foot black snake in my church in south Jersey one Good Friday. I ran out the door cussing like a preacher who just found a snake in his church. My organist lived next door. She laughed at me, put on a pair of garden gloves, grabbed the snake and let him loose in the field behind the church.

Hey Rev. Barnaby is a Chocolate Lab, almost 2.5 years old. Never been afraid of snakes. Had a few pythons when I was younger. My brother and I always had some kind of snake growing up. We would usually catch them and bring them home and let them go at the end of the summer. Black snakes, garter snakes, green snakes, corn snakes, hog nosed snakes...we even caught a copperhead once before we realized what it was, lucky we didn't get bitten.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Barnaby is a good looking boy. I had a Chocolate named Ginger. She was my first hunting dog and the kind you get once in a lifetime. There are many great dogs out there, but it's hard to beat a good Lab when it comes to loyalty, friendship and adventure.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

'Scratch wrote:The Root River...gives me shivers thinking about the monster Brown trout that ran me ragged before straightening the hook. You live in one of the nicest parts of the country that, thankfully, not every SOB from Jersey knows about.

Back to the outdoors, here's me and the kids trolling for ore tankers on the St. Lawrence.

I bet there's some great scenery behind that ore tanker!

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

'Scratch wrote:Barnaby is a good looking boy. I had a Chocolate named Ginger. She was my first hunting dog and the kind you get once in a lifetime. There are many great dogs out there, but it's hard to beat a good Lab when it comes to loyalty, friendship and adventure.

Thanks Scratch. Barnaby could never be a hunting dog, he is way too skittish and jumps at the quietest of sounds. I can snap my fingers and he jumps like a bomb just went off beside him.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Does this count?

My ferocious dog, Lucy, not giving two craps about a deer standing 10 yards behind her.

I'm looking forward to a fishing trip with my dad and a couple of his friends in Lake Ontario, in August, fishing for King salmon. I grew up fishing for trout and panfish, so I'm looking forward to hooking into something big.