Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:So a few weeks ago we drove the kids up to Gloucester, Mass for a short family vaca. Junior and I got up early a few days to fish the rocks for striped bass and, one morning right after sunrise, I noticed a man taking pics in our direction with his phone. Fast forward a few hours later at breakfast, we were talking about the fishing, and a guy at the next table goes "Excuse me, I just overheard you talking about fishing, was that you on the rocks this morning?" I said yeah that was us and he said I've got a great photo of you and your son, give me your email and I'll send it to you....

Very cool, Geoduck

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

http://youtu.be/2lduyCgk7WY
Ingrown Nail (on the Oregon Trail)

We've all been there....

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Bonsai Rock - Lake Tahoe
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

bovine knievel wrote:Bonsai Rock - Lake Tahoe
Beautiful shot BK.

Clams

Post by Clams »

UTHeathen wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Bonsai Rock - Lake Tahoe
Beautiful shot BK.
x2. Nice shot.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Popped a doe with my muzzle loader Saturday morning. Going back in the morning and rifle season opens here in Georgia Saturday. The temps are supposed to drop in the morning too. I love this time of year.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Cole Younger wrote:Popped a doe with my muzzle loader Saturday morning. Going back in the morning and rifle season opens here in Georgia Saturday. The temps are supposed to drop in the morning too. I love this time of year.
Nice. That is good tender meat.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last weekend the Mrs and I and the kids flew out to Phoenix, AZ for our nephew's bar mitzvah. The kids hadn't ever been to the Southwest before and they wanted to get out of the city and see the desert. So we spent last Friday driving all 45 miles of the Apache Trail through the Superstition Mountains up to Roosevelt Dam. The final 22 miles of the Trail is unpaved dirt road. Beautiful rugged country, really fun driving, and a great day.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
good stuff, Clams!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last weekend at DBT Homecoming in Athens, Pearlbeer (Mat) and his buddy Kasey, who are from Austin, had arranged an afternoon of fly fishing and they were nice enough to ask me to come along. So Friday around 11am, we picked up some beers and sandwiches and drove on up to Helen, GA which is in the mountains about 60 miles north of Athens along the Chattahoochee River. We met up with our guide and geared up and hit the stream for about 4 hours. The weather was absolutely beautiful (70 and sunny) and so were the rainbow trout. The river was narrow but there were some cold, deep pools that held some absolutely huge fucking fish. It had been a few years since I last fly fished, so it took a little while to get the hang of it - but in the end I had netted 5 or 6 trout and they were the biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught (check out Kasey's monster below). We were back in Athens in time for dinner and then late night rock show with the Truckers in the Fabulous 40 Watt. Thank you Mat and Kasey for letting me tag along on your fishing trip, it was a really great day. Trucker fans are the best.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

What a great day. An amazing day fishing and the Rock Show on top of it. Awesome.

One night as we were standing in line at the 40 Watt looking at the line of DBT fans waiting to get in the door...which just looked like a mass of facial hair and flannel, and smelled like a Frat party.....we had a discussion, that we were quite possibly observing a most interesting and rare Vin-Diagram.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:Last weekend at DBT Homecoming in Athens, Pearlbeer (Mat) and his buddy Kasey, who are from Austin, had arranged an afternoon of fly fishing and they were nice enough to ask me to come along. So Friday around 11am, we picked up some beers and sandwiches and drove on up to Helen, GA which is in the mountains about 60 miles north of Athens along the Chattahoochee River. We met up with our guide and geared up and hit the stream for about 4 hours. The weather was absolutely beautiful (70 and sunny) and so were the rainbow trout. The river was narrow but there were some cold, deep pools that held some absolutely huge fucking fish. It had been a few years since I last fly fished, so it took a little while to get the hang of it - but in the end I had netted 5 or 6 trout and they were the biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught (check out Kasey's monster below). We were back in Athens in time for dinner and then late night rock show with the Truckers in the Fabulous 40 Watt. Thank you Mat and Kasey for letting me tag along on your fishing trip, it was a really great day. Trucker fans are the best.

Awesome! I love the North Georgia mountains. I get up there a good bit but nearly as often as I want to. Me and a buddy are planning a trout fishing and camping trip right now. Looks like y'all had fun.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

damn those are some nice fish. well done!

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Nice work, fellas.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Hell yea! Those are some football rainbows.

tinnitus photography

We were lucky enough to land in Utah 36 hr before Park City got 12" of snow. Fabulous time skiing in conditions I rarely see back east.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Some #plant17 farming pics

The bean drill rolling last night. We have less than a day of planting left. Rain will have us sidelined for a good 3-5 days though.

Prairie wind blowin' through my hair

Rock removal crew

Windmills everywhere (if you look closely at the street sign you'll see that it's "State Line Street" - I'm sitting in Minnesota looking back across the road to Iowa)

Big sky, big sunset

It ain't all flowers, sometimes you gotta feel the thorns

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Nice pics, Iowan.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

Further proof that size doesn't matter.
That's a native brook trout, the state fish of Pennsylvania.
Caught on a nymph.
Northkill Creek, Berks County, PA.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

No pics right now but I just got back from Denver > Breckenridge > Telluride > Moab > Leadville > Denver.

Born and bred Northeasterner, but if we could figure out the whole work/commute/housing thing we'd be up for a change. Mountains are therapeutic.
Beebs is not a ragey man

tinnitus photography

kinda tough to leave the ocean behind though. that's my only misgiving about heading to the peaks.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Two of my three brothers have relocated to SoCal in the last few years. We'd probably get to see them and the Pacific a hell of a lot more than we ever see the Atlantic.

Would put the fam in Idaho and Alaska and friends in AZ within striking distance too.

The grass is rarely greener. But I like to stay on top of my options.
Beebs is not a ragey man

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Dogs country.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:No pics right now but I just got back from Denver > Breckenridge > Telluride > Moab > Leadville > Denver.

Born and bred Northeasterner, but if we could figure out the whole work/commute/housing thing we'd be up for a change. Mountains are therapeutic.
Telluride is the most stunning place I've been.

Did you get to Moab Brewing? A delightful surprise in the Polygamy State.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote: Telluride is the most stunning place I've been.
I've been to telluride and you are correct, it is stunning. My "most stunning" would probably be Monument Valley though.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

My next visit to Colorado will include time in Telluride, home to our own Boyourself.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:
Beebs wrote:No pics right now but I just got back from Denver > Breckenridge > Telluride > Moab > Leadville > Denver.

Telluride is the most stunning place I've been.

Did you get to Moab Brewing? A delightful surprise in the Polygamy State.
Drove right past it. We were headed to the Lasal mountains above Moab and unfortunately I didn't have time to stop. I was performing a wedding ceremony for the first time the next day and doing some last minute freak out that I wasn't properly prepared.

I did manage to stop at a grocery store and discover that the big breweries do actually produce 3.2% to sell in Utah. All your normal Budweisers and Coronas and whatever sitting on the shelf with 3.2% stamped on the box.
LBRod wrote:My next visit to Colorado will include time in Telluride, home to our own Boyourself.
Got to hang out around town quite a bit and was struck by how many people around me were obviously neighbors and seemed like fairly normal, middle class folks. Seems like a nice and pretty normal little community. I'm just not sure how normal seeming folks afford to live in that resort economy.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Minnesota (if you're in a grocery store or gas station) and Oklahoma have 3.2 beer as well. There's probably others.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slowhand can apparently handle a fly rod as well as he can a stratocaster.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ar ... nd-w433301

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:Slowhand can apparently handle a fly rod as well as he can a stratocaster.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/ar ... nd-w433301
Overrated guitar playing racist hires big ticket guide service. Details at 11.
Beebs is not a ragey man