Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

UTHeathen

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by UTHeathen »

tinnitus photography wrote: grand total: 115 runs, 130K total vertical skied. can't wait until the next trip.
Glad you had a good time in my backyard. Sadly, this has been the worst snow year in over 40 years. Hopefully you'll get a chance to do it again when the conditions are more favorable. If you do come back, check out Snowbasin if you get a chance. It's about 35 miles north of Salt Lake City, (east of Ogden, my hometown) and was the location for the 2002 Olympic Downhill and GS races. Amazing mountain with a fraction of the skiers.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

LBRod wrote:
RolanK wrote:That looks awesome!

(I skied once in the Lake Tahoe area many years ago, wasn't optimal as it hadn't snowed for a while, but still have wanted to ski in the US again some day ever since)
The best skiing of my life was many years ago at Alta. Mostly because it was the best snow I have ever skied.
Growing up on the Sierra cement we get so often here in Ca, it was a revelation having the ability to turn in powder.
I have heard much good stuff about Alta skiing from friends who have been there.

The pic below is from my best week of skiing in St. Anton in Austria in the late '90s. (Digital camera resolution was not very impressive back then.)
It was snowing continuously for three days in a row when we got down there. Lots of lifts and slopes were closed but there was still plenty of powder for everyone. On the fourth day it stopped snowing and we woke up to the sound of avalanche cannons blowing of snow dunes way up in the mountain as they were about to open up more slopes for skiing.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

schlanky wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Nah I'm starting with the 25 mile. I want to do the full hundred at some point though.
That's about 24 miles farther than I could run (my knees made me give up running years back). Good luck!
Well to be sure I am not ready right now and won't be this September. I used to run ten to fifteen miles fairly regularly but that has been a while. I'm a naturally big guy and have always made gains in strength and size in the gym although I gave up heavy weight lifting some years ago. I have always done pretty well as a runner but it takes a lot more work for me than strength training. In the end, at least for me, running is just pain tolerance more than anything else and I have that in spades. I guess that's why I have been able to do pretty well despite being built like a lumber jack rather than distance runner.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

tinnitus photography wrote:it was an epic week plus a day. went on a bit of a torrid stretch of skiing recently... 7 days over 8 days. aside from one day, conditions were uniformly awesome.
One of my favorite things about this thread is seeing posts about places I've never been doing things I'll likely never do. Excellent post, pics and videos, tinnitus.
Let the outside air in

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

schlanky wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:it was an epic week plus a day. went on a bit of a torrid stretch of skiing recently... 7 days over 8 days. aside from one day, conditions were uniformly awesome.
One of my favorite things about this thread is seeing posts about places I've never been doing things I'll likely never do. Excellent post, pics and videos, tinnitus.
thanks!

RolanK, that photo is epic.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

tinnitus photography wrote:
schlanky wrote:
thanks!

RolanK, that photo is epic.
Thanks! Once in a lifetime moment I guess. Snorkelling conditions.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

My son, Ben, and I enjoyed a lovely hike at Lassen National Park with Mr. and Mrs. Whatwouldcooleydo last month. Beautiful place!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

That's some fantastic scenery! And a perfectly clear sky to boot.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

Was looking to do some fishing with my son over the weekend. He's heading off to his freshman year of college next week, so I've been making time for more of these excursions lately. Most of the bigger streams were blown out from all the recent rain, so we had to head upstate to find some smaller water. We settled on a spring creek in the Pocono mountains about 2 hours from home called Devil's Hole. We hiked down into a gorge of beautiful birch, rhododendron and fern and we had the place completely to ourselves. The creek was running high from the rain but we were able to hike the trail, wade in the water and catch some small wild browns. A really great time.

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Nice pics, Clams. Makes me wish the cooler weather would hurry up and get here. I'm ready to get back out there.
Let the outside air in

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Bluebirds nesting. Hummingbirds are here (and I haven't put my feeders out yet). Goldfinches in their spring breeding plumage.
And the starlings--those motherfucking starlings.
Spring!

Clams

Post by Clams »

scotto wrote:Bluebirds nesting. Hummingbirds are here (and I haven't put my feeders out yet). Goldfinches in their spring breeding plumage.
Spring!
Hummers already? Wow that's early. Guess I better get my feeders out.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

It’s never too early for a hummer.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

scotto

Post by scotto »

Clams wrote:Hummers already? Wow that's early. Guess I better get my feeders out.
I'm in damp, muggy mid Missouri, so it's just a short jaunt across the Gulf, up the Mississippi to the Midwest. And to be honest, I haven't seen one yet, but sightings are reported on the Audubon/MOBirds report, so I guess they're just hiding from me, the little fuckers.

scotto

Post by scotto »

1st hummingbird sighted.
...carry on.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

How the hell does a live earthworm get into the middle of your living room?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

scotto wrote:Bluebirds nesting. Hummingbirds are here (and I haven't put my feeders out yet). Goldfinches in their spring breeding plumage.
Spring!
Hummingbirds arrived in SE PA yesterday. I known it's weird but those little birds really make me happy. Honeysuckle started blooming this week too.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My wife and I are looking to do a little canoeing this July somewhere in the midwest or upper midwest. Wisconsin and Missouri are at the top of my list but I'm open to spots in Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa or Illinois. Any recommendations from you midwest folks ?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

jr29 wrote:My wife and I are looking to do a little canoeing this July somewhere in the midwest or upper midwest. Wisconsin and Missouri are at the top of my list but I'm open to spots in Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa or Illinois. Any recommendations from you midwest folks ?
Iowan should be a great resource. He posted some pics in this thread of a beautiful creek he paddled (I think in Iowa). Good luck, have fun, and wear a life vest. 8-)
Last edited by bovine knievel on Fri May 17, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:
jr29 wrote:My wife and I are looking to do a little canoeing this July somewhere in the midwest or upper midwest. Wisconsin and Missouri are at the top of my list but I'm open to spots in Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa or Illinois. Any recommendations from you midwest folks ?
Iowan should be a great resource. He posted some pics in this thread of a beautiful creek he padded (I think in Iowa). Good luck, have fun, and wear a life vest. 8-)
And bring a fishing rod so you can catch some of those Driftless trout.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Upper Iowa River is right in my backyard, and is honestly spectacular. If you’re interested in doing it, you could use my canoe and I would guide you for free (we have kayaks too). It’s in the Driftless Area, which is like a mini less touristy Ozarks. We’re out there almost weekly in the summer.

I’m completely serious.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:Memorial Weekend on the Upper Iowa

Some Upper Iowa pics, JR. This isn’t even the best stretch

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good trip report of the Upper Iowa. This site is a great resource for Driftless canoeing.

https://www.milespaddled.com/2017/07/up ... -river-ii/

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:
The Upper Iowa River is right in my backyard, and is honestly spectacular. If you’re interested in doing it, you could use my canoe and I would guide you for free (we have kayaks too). It’s in the Driftless Area, which is like a mini less touristy Ozarks. We’re out there almost weekly in the summer.

I’m completely serious.
This is awesome! I’d take you up on that offer, Iowan.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

If you find yourself out this way, the offer stands!

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I’m completely serious.
This is awesome! I’d take you up on that offer, Iowan.
Yeah awesome is right! I might bring my entire extended family. Iowan, how are you with dietary restrictions, cheapskates, drinkers, teenagers who always roll their eyes, cousins who bicker a lot, and aunts/uncles who fart and burp all the time, etc?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote: Yeah awesome is right! I might bring my entire extended family. Iowan, how are you with dietary restrictions, cheapskates, drinkers, teenagers who always roll their eyes, cousins who bicker a lot, and aunts/uncles who fart and burp all the time, etc?
Thanksgiving Filter 8-)

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:If you find yourself out this way, the offer stands!
Likewise! I run the mighty Sacramento River a lot so I could extend the favor if ever end up in Northern California.