Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by RolanK »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 am

bra-fucking
:shock: Took me approximately 2.5 seconds to not read it like that...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The whole fam-damily went hiking here today.

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/fort-pillow

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:54 pm

We returned to the park yesterday and took out kayaks. My nine-year-old had his own boat and did well. We moved to Tennessee over five years ago, but this was the first time that I’d used my kayaks since moving! I was happy for my boats to see the water!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Sounds like good times, Beaverdam. The past few years, I keep saying I'm going to get my canoes out, but it never happens. Fall through spring these days get spent hiking. In summer, I'm always catching up on all the house stuff I didn't do during hiking season. So I got two boats that ain't seen the water in years.

Handling a kayak at 9 is a very good start!
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

schlanky wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:07 pm
Sounds like good times, Beaverdam. The past few years, I keep saying I'm going to get my canoes out, but it never happens. Fall through spring these days get spent hiking. In summer, I'm always catching up on all the house stuff I didn't do during hiking season. So I got two boats that ain't seen the water in years.

I'm not a big kayaker but every time I get in one it's so damn fun and easy. I need to do it more.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

I do not remember if I showed you guys this, but the wifey and I are closing on this place near Asheville in a few weeks. Needs some work, but that's cool. Plan to use it as a vacay spot and gradually get it fixed up real nice, maybe eventually retire there.

Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Clams wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 am
schlanky wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm not a big kayaker but every time I get in one it's so damn fun and easy. I need to do it more.
One of my good buddies from Virginia with whom I used to kayak often would say, “kayaks are the best use of (or most fun with) plastic since fake boobs!”

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 pm
I do not remember if I showed you guys this, but the wifey and I are closing on this place near Asheville in a few weeks. Needs some work, but that's cool. Plan to use it as a vacay spot and gradually get it fixed up real nice, maybe eventually retire there.

Damn that looks sweet! When's the heathen party weekend?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:08 am
Flea wrote:

Damn that looks sweet! When's the heathen party weekend?
Whenever the postponed Orange Peel shows happen!
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Clams wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:08 am
Damn that looks sweet!
Wow, Flea. That is really really nice!
Let the outside air in

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Flea wrote:

Holy shit, that's incredible.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Flea, that place looks amazing. I love the Asheville area but haven't been in years.

Years ago my work blocked 3DD, and I'm rarely on a computer at home, so I just view our website on my phone. I pulled out a computer just to see Flea's new place. A post on the website and an invitation to visit are equivalent, right????
Flea wrote:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Flea, that place looks amazing. I love the Asheville area but haven't been in years.

Years ago my work blocked 3DD, and I'm rarely on a computer at home, so I just view our website on my phone. I pulled out a computer just to see Flea's new place. A post on the website and an invitation to visit are equivalent, right????
Flea wrote:

You are correct
Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

love it, Flea. looks perfect.

i used to love cities but i've been hiking my ass off in the white mountains since June.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:54 pm

I love it.
We have visited several state parks during quarantine.
We kayaked and hiked Shelby Forest in Millington.
Hiked, rode horses, and swam at Chickasaw State Park in Henderson, Tennessee.
Hiked at Wall Doxey State Park north of Oxford, Mississippi.
Kayaked down the Okatoma River in south Mississippi. That was the highlight for me. It was magnificent.
I have lots of pictures but I'm a luddite and don't know how to post them.

We still plan to hit Tishimingo State Park in northeast Mississippi, and Big Hill Pond and Natchez Trace in west Tennessee before winter.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Flea wrote:

Nice. Ya even got 'lectricity
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:56 pm
Flea wrote:

Nice. Ya even got 'lectricity
Indoor plumbing, too! Though there is plenty of room to add an outhouse if environmentally-controlled shitting becomes too bourgie.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

^^^^^^

Which brings up the timeless question: Does a Flea shit in the woods?
Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

most of you may not know that i've been unemployed for a few months... well, since the start of Feb. at first i was like fuck yeah - i've got a great severance, a ski pass and a seasonal rental to ski my ass off for the rest of the season.

then when the kids and i came back from skiing in Utah for their spring break trip, COVID said not so fast. in between networking, applying for jobs, interviewing via Zoom and still getting nowhere, I decided to spend more time outdoors. did a bit of fishing in the early summer but really started hiking in earnest around June. not sure why I haven't really spent more time in the White Mountains in my 50+ years of living around here, but i'm glad i finally started. it's pretty amazing terrain and i feel fortunate to live a 2-3 hr drive away from it. here are some of the highlights so far... since I did Lafayette/Lincoln in mid-August, I've knocked off 13 of the 4000 footers in the state. only 35 to go! stats since June: 166 miles, 43.14K climbed, 89 hr total hiking time, 59,560 calories burned, 25 hikes recorded. i've mainly done solo hikes, but have done a couple w/ my kids, a couple w/ my ex-wife and a few w/ my friend Walter and his dog Reilly. the last one i did two days ago (White Face to Passaconaway) was my first overnighter in a long time, with a guy i used to work with. i hadn't slept outside in freezing temperatures in a long time, but the good news is that i didn't die or lose any extremities. it was a lot different hiking with a full pack vs day pack, though.

here are some of the highlights... sorry for the self-indulgent photos.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Sorry about the employment situation but damn you found a good way to spend your time. Great pics.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

tinnitus photography

bovine knievel wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 pm
Sorry about the employment situation but damn you found a good way to spend your time. Great pics.
Thx BV. It’s definitely helped my mental (and physical) state. Gonna keep at it.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

bovine knievel wrote:
X2
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 am
bovine knievel wrote:
X2
x3
I've seen all your pics on facebook - you're killing it!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:
x4
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:44 pm
it was a lot different hiking with a full pack vs day pack, though.
Yeah, the overnight pack is way harder, but there's also nothing like watching day turn into night in the woods, then watching it all come back to life the next morning.

Excellent pics. #6 is fantastic. Please keep us updated as you knock out more of the remaining 35.
Let the outside air in

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Great pictures!

I took the family to Acadia National Park in Maine last year. Some spectacular hiking up there...be sure to check it out next summer!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

thx everyone!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Those are incredible pics, Tinnitus.

I'd love to explore that part of the country, but it's hard to justify the long drive when I can get to the Rockies in an easy day's drive. Some day, when I have more time and more money.

Clams

Post by Clams »

So I was in the market for a heavy duty firepit and I asked Mike Hayes of Hayes BBQ (Daddy_played_poker here on 3dd, who I've met a bunch of times at Homecoming) if he would build something for me. Mike normally makes these beautiful smokers and barbecues, but he was happy to build me a firepit. I was looking for a basic kettle-style pit but Mike asked if I wouldn't mind if he took some "artistic liberties." I wasn't sure what he had in mind but I said sure. Mike and I met halfway in central Virginia a few weeks ago and he delivered this beauty to me. Fired it up in the backyard last night. Awesome.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am
So I was in the market for a heavy duty firepit and I asked Mike Hayes of Hayes BBQ (Daddy_played_poker here on 3dd, who I've met a bunch of times at Homecoming) if he would build something for me. Mike normally makes these beautiful smokers and barbecues, but he was happy to build me a firepit. I was looking for a basic kettle-style pit but Mike asked if I wouldn't mind if he took some "artistic liberties." I wasn't sure what he had in mind but I said sure. Mike and I met halfway in central Virginia a few weeks ago and he delivered this beauty to me. Fired it up in the backyard last night. Awesome.

That’s sweet!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley