Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am
Clams wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am
So I was in the market for a heavy duty firepit and I asked Mike Hayes of Hayes BBQ (Daddy_played_poker here on 3dd, who I've met a bunch of times at Homecoming) if he would build something for me. Mike normally makes these beautiful smokers and barbecues, but he was happy to build me a firepit. I was looking for a basic kettle-style pit but Mike asked if I wouldn't mind if he took some "artistic liberties." I wasn't sure what he had in mind but I said sure. Mike and I met halfway in central Virginia a few weeks ago and he delivered this beauty to me. Fired it up in the backyard last night. Awesome.

That’s sweet!
Big time! Nice work, Mike Hayes!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 pm
Big time! Nice work, Mike Hayes!
You should see the smokers and BBQs he makes. Here's a couple I lifted from his FB page:

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

That fire pit looks awesome. Those smokers too.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Thank you for the love, it was fun and I enjoy doing anything to connect to the band. I spoke with Wes about using some of the art for another Nuci's project a couple years ago so it was good to get this one finished for Clams. This winter I plan to do a smaller "band art" firepit for Nuci's auction even if we have to do it virtually. Stay tuned
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

definitely need that as a merch table item.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The fire pit is awesome. I saw it and thought what a great auction item it would make!
Daddy_played_poker wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 am
Thank you for the love, it was fun and I enjoy doing anything to connect to the band. I spoke with Wes about using some of the art for another Nuci's project a couple years ago so it was good to get this one finished for Clams. This winter I plan to do a smaller "band art" firepit for Nuci's auction even if we have to do it virtually. Stay tuned

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My wife and I are headed on an outdoor heavy, deep south getaway in a couple weeks and I am open to your destination suggestions. Right now I am pretty sure we are gonna hit Providence Canyon in southwest Georgia and maybe the Allman Brothers museum in Macon while we're in the area.
So where should we go in south Georgia, north Florida, south Alabama for kayaking, hiking....that kind of shit.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 pm
My wife and I are headed on an outdoor heavy, deep south getaway in a couple weeks and I am open to your destination suggestions. Right now I am pretty sure we are gonna hit Providence Canyon in southwest Georgia and maybe the Allman Brothers museum in Macon while we're in the area.
So where should we go in south Georgia, north Florida, south Alabama for kayaking, hiking....that kind of shit.
If you’re going to Providence Canyon you’ll be in my backyard. You’ll enjoy it. The Allman Brothers Museum is well worth the visit. Rose Hill Cemetery is nearby where Duane and Greg are both buried. While you’re visiting Providence Canyon you might want to shoot up 520 and go to FDR State Park and The Little White House and Warm Springs. If you do, make sure to eat at Three Little Pigs BBQ in Pine Mountain and The Bulloch House in Warm Springs.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:16 pm
Rose Hill Cemetery is nearby where Duane and Greg are both buried.
What about the cemetery where Elizabeth Reed is buried?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:28 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Yep. Berry Oakley too.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Yep. Berry Oakley too.
Oh. I didn't realize they were all in the same cemetery. That's good to know, though I can't say why. :)

Another question, as long as we're on the subject: I would imagine that Ms. Reed's gravesite is an, ahem, popular spot. Any truth to that?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:46 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Yep. Berry Oakley too.
Oh. I didn't realize they were all in the same cemetery. That's good to know, though I can't say why. :)

Another question, as long as we're on the subject: I would imagine that Ms. Reed's gravesite is an, ahem, popular spot. Any truth to that?
From what I hear it has been in the past. I don’t understand that but I don’t understand a lot of things people do. I do know it’s a lot harder to come and go at night there than it used to be. That’s part of the reason and people leaving stuff at gravesites of Duane, Berry, and Greg like empty liquor bottles etc is part of the reason too. Macon has really gone down hill in the last twenty or so years. We don’t go there much but I don’t go to any big town (Macon is a big town to me. Hell Athens is big to me.) very often. Lotta crime etc and it’s just a dirty town. The Allman Brothers Museum is very much worth the trip though.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I was doing my first yard Thursday, cutting a slope parallel the St Johns river headed north. I looked up and noticed a bald eagle coming right at me. I stopped as it veered toward the river. He didn't dive or swoop, he just kinda glided over river, reached down and came up with a big mullet. Then he landed on the neighbors boat house and ate it. 8-) Nice way to start the day. After we finish that yard we headed two blocks over and started working. The lady that lives there comes out and shows us a bucket with a baby opossum in it. Said she found it in the back yard and the interweb told her to put it in an open container where she found it and the mama would come and get it. Easier than trying to untangle a baby raccoon from some kids soccer net. We've had to do that before and all they want to do is bite.
So now it's getting close to lunch and we're doing a strip of 4 yards along a canal in Ortega Forrest, assymbly line style.
I tell my son to bring our lunch to the backyard* of the yard in the middle, where i will be when he's done edging. He comes back and sits at the table on the dock. As I'm getting off the mower I see a red tail hawk land in the neighbors wood pile. It comes up with a snake and flies up to the limb of a near by pine tree. We eat our lunch as he eats his. We finish and sit there and bull shit a little while watching the hawk. As we get up to go back to work he flies away. Lunch time is over.

*Some off these people I work for consider the part of the yard on the water the front yard :roll:
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

RedCelt and his wife and I went to Cumberland Island, GA, a couple of weeks ago. It's a barrier island just north of the Florida state line. It was my second trip there and their first. We took the ferry to the island Thursday morning and returned to mainland on Sunday---slept the first night at Sea Camp and the next two at Stafford Beach.

The main attraction on the southern end of the island is the ruin of the Dungeness mansion. It burned down in the 1950s.

Most of my backpacking trips are eastern Alabama and various places in Tennessee, so the different scenery of saw palmettos and live oaks with Spanish moss are always a treat. I usually only see RedCelt and wife exactly one weekend a year at Homecoming, so it's always great to see them.

Armadillos were everywhere---scuttling off the trail or just watching you pass by.

Wild horses roam the island:

Swampy areas had me singing "Polk Salad Annie." (the gators got your granny)

We did a bunch of beach walking.

Sunset on night 1 at Sea Camp dock looking back inland:

Let the outside air in

tinnitus photography

great pics!

armadillos are odd creatures (and forever tied to Spinal Tap).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Are you sure that's a horse?

Sounds like a great trip.

tinnitus photography

I made it out to my (almost) annual ski trip to Utah w/ my kids over spring break, fifth time with a year break from COVID in 2021. We've always had nothing less than great conditions, with some heavy snow on each trip and some of the best skiing i've ever had the pleasure of doing. we went w/ my longtime friend/ex-work colleague Walter, his third trip with us. I usually like to book on-mountain accommodation as getting Otis up in the morning can be a trying task but i started looking too late and nothing was available for the Solitude/Brighton area in Big Cottonwood Canyon, but we did find a private house on that road, just a mile south of Solitude.

the winter has been a bit trying for Utah; they usually get 400-500" of snow during a season but were below half that this year. To make matters worse, Walter had broken his toe a month ago by walking into a couch leg while barefoot and he was on the fence. But, his foot was healing OK and the ski boot actually stabilized things well and he gave it a go.

i hit the GBV show the night before and that 4:30AM car service to the airport came fucking early (couldn't depend on an Uber/Lyft to have the right vehicle to pack two ski bags/four boot bags/two suitcases and four people so i bit that bullet and booked a ride to alleviate stress).

as luck had it, that area got 16" or so on the Fri/Sat and by Monday when we skied things were looking good. I don't know if anyone on this board skis but Utah snow is kinda magical, that soft, fluffy dry snow that is so much fun to ski, esp when you are used to hard icy shit out east.

soon onto some photos, but i will say my skiing time got cut short on the best skiing day of my life. Wednesday was fucking amazing. it had started snowing on tues and went all through wed and we got about 2' of snow. the glades in Brighton are about as fun as it can get, and sometimes scary too; some wicked steeps with towering Ponderosa pines and Blue Spruce, some really hairy lines to navigate. once you drop 500' or so feet the elevation gets more manageable and you can let it go a bit more but still - trees don't move much so don't run into one. i've done it a couple of times and it's not recommended.

on my last run before meeting Otis at the base lodge, i went way over to the right of the mountain and came on a very steep section... i stopped to think about how to navigate it and really should have just kept pushing through and dropped down and out to the open trail to the left. but i overthought it, and ended up skiing into my planted right pole; my ski got stuck and i slammed into it, with my phone's external battery in my ski pans jamming right into my lower quad just about above my knee. felt like someone hit me w/ a hammer. luckily i didn't have to pull myself out of the snow, and i gingerly made my down the rest of the slope, heavily favoring my right leg. a week later, i can nearly walk up stairs ok but forget getting out of a deep knee bend w/o using my arms for assistance.

so i missed the last day but still had 2.5 total kick ass days of skiing with my kids and friend. good times off the mountain too, our place had a hot tub and sauna and a decent LP collection too.

this doesn't begin to show the slope

deep snow!

skiing costs a lot of money and you never know what you're gonna get but good god I do love me some Utah skiing. it's never let me down.

Clams

Post by Clams »

great pics as usual tinnitus
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

awesome.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Great stuff, tin. Sorry about the mishap.

My kids* and other family members skied 2 days when we were out in CO last week and had an absolute blast amidst great conditions.

*Son & DIL.

tinnitus photography

nothing like awesome snow. we get it out East a bit but nothing like out West, and the vistas and terrain are just so different. I'd like to check out Colorado, Montana and Wyoming but Utah is just so easy to get to and i've had incredible ski days every single time i've been out there.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

That's some gorgeous scenery you had there tinnitus!
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Do any of you know any under the radar poison Ivy treatments? I was helping beaverdamsfinlaw clear move some wood this weekend, and I’m pretty sure my arms are about to rot off!

I had a shot Monday as soon as i noticed the poison Ivy has migrated from my arms and torso to my face, but it’s still pretty bad!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:04 pm
Do any of you know any under the radar poison Ivy treatments? I was helping beaverdamsfinlaw clear move some wood this weekend, and I’m pretty sure my arms are about to rot off!

I had a shot Monday as soon as i noticed the poison Ivy has migrated from my arms and torso to my face, but it’s still pretty bad!
I've read that it's not really migration---just takes longer for some spots to flare up.

The rash will occur only where the plant oil has touched the skin, so a person with poison ivy can’t spread it on the body by scratching. It may seem like the rash is spreading if it appears over time instead of all at once. But this is either because the plant oil is absorbed at different rates on different parts of the body or because of repeated exposure to contaminated objects or plant oil trapped under the fingernails. Even if blisters break, the fluid in the blisters is not plant oil and cannot further spread the rash.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... ous-plants

My unscientific research says that whiskey and rock and roll may make it less noticeable.
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I misspoke/typed with migration. I was just trying to elicit sympathy by describing the “progression”!

I know it will get better, but if I had this constantly, I’d go crazy!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My sympathies, beaverdam. All I remember from my days tramping in the woods is pink, for calamine lotion. As I recall the stuff was ugly and smelly but stopped the itching - temporarily, requiring repeated applications. But surely in the intervening decades some over the radar over the counter better solution has been developed?

tinnitus photography

prednisone is recommended for nasty cases.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:34 am
prednisone is recommended for nasty cases.
Prednisone is a nasty drug but not as bad as a bad case of poison ivy.

tinnitus photography

i was on it for a while when my ulcerative colitis was bad. thankfully that was a long time ago.

yeah, it kinda sucks but it helps in cases too.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I can for sure guarantee you that prednisone is partially responsible for more than a few of us being alive today. To live is to feel pain, in some fashion.
Now it's dark.