Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Barely_Oakely

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I just bought my permits for a trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area - a beautiful chunk of wilderness on the Canadian Border in Minnesota that's remained largely unmolested for the last 70 years. If any of you are familiar, I'm going into Snowbank, up to Thomas, and back down the 4, 3, 2, 1 chain - about 35 miles.
One of my best friends is a Navy Seal and he's got some leave in June and he said he wanted to do something awesome that wouldn't remind him of the desert at all. I think this should do the trick.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I just bought my permits for a trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area - a beautiful chunk of wilderness on the Canadian Border in Minnesota that's remained largely unmolested for the last 70 years. If any of you are familiar, I'm going into Snowbank, up to Thomas, and back down the 4, 3, 2, 1 chain - about 35 miles.
One of my best friends is a Navy Seal and he's got some leave in June and he said he wanted to do something awesome that wouldn't remind him of the desert at all. I think this should do the trick.

I did this about 20 years ago. Not sure where we went exactly though. We packed way too much stuff and it was just way too heavy to carry in the canoes during portaging. Two trips each time. :oops: :lol:

Pack only what you need! Are you fishing or just taking it all in? Either way, it's beautiful up there. Enjoy!

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

We'll hit a bit of everything - I've been up there several times, but this'll be my first trip in a few years. My only question is if I want to portage in my guitar or not risk it.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

When we finally set up camp on day one, we hit the water to go find some dinner. 30 min later I dropped my brand new pole into the water and then proceeded to fall out of the canoe trying to retrieve it. Lost the pole, but I was able to get back into the canoe without toppling it over along with all of our gear.

One of my greatest accomplishments.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Well done! I'm bringing a pair of friends of mine from Illinois - I'll be strapping everything to the boats so if they tip we won't lose anything.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

I'll see if I can round up some pics from that trip. All my suff is in boxes currently.

On a side note Barely, if we ever become friends & do this trip together...don't bring the guitar.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Hehe - Maybe I'll bring my mandolin, it'll portage easier.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I just bought a new pack over the weekend. A portage pack by Frost River Packs out of Duluth, MN. https://www.frostriver.com/shop/old-no-7-pack/
I've always had packs made by "Duluth Pack," but I talked with the folks at Frost River and I guess that when Duluth Pack went under new management they cut some corners and sacked a few of the old timers. Those folks wanted to keep making high end packs, so they founded Frost River. Putting it next to some of my old portage packs this thing is killer. Tough waxed canvas construction, heavy duty rivets on everything and a lifetime warranty. Their business model alone has made a returning customer out of me. I'll probably end up picking up one smaller day pack and then a larger portage pack over the next few years.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Last year was the 20th anniversary of a kayaking/canoeing trip a buddy and I take. Haven't missed a year since we started in 1993. Went from talking about girlfriends/getting laid/work stuff.....to wives/not getting laid/work/kids stuff. Same drunkenness around the campfire, laughing and reminiscing. Really good stuff. We have pics from all 20 years, and vid/pics from the last 10 or so. He has steel trap memory, and recalls every river (mostly in WV, VA, and NC), big rapid, camp spot, etc. since we started.

Any ideas on the best way to "archive" it? Could do a book, but then no vids. Could do something online, but then nothing fun to lazily thumb through. What do you guys do when you want to combine all the elements? Thanks.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I just bought a new pack over the weekend. A portage pack by Frost River Packs out of Duluth, MN. https://www.frostriver.com/shop/old-no-7-pack/

That is one freaking awesome pack. That makes me want to wear wool and cook on cast iron. And bust out some sweet whittling.

ramonz wrote:Any ideas on the best way to "archive" it? Could do a book, but then no vids. Could do something online, but then nothing fun to lazily thumb through. What do you guys do when you want to combine all the elements? Thanks.

I'm sure there are better options, but when we do a road trip with the Alaska family or something like that that needs documenting (particularly since having kids) we usually pull together one of the photo books you can make on IPhoto. Basically sort through, crop and edit your photos, plug them into one of templates, add text, maps, etc. Boom. Then we order up a few for grandparents and the like. We keep ours fairly simple and I think they run about $20 each. Like I said: I'm sure there are better and cheaper options that don't come with the Apple price tag.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to edit up a CD of videos and such to go with it. Cheaper option would be to put pictures and everything on a CD, but then you don't have the physical book to thumb through.

I've already got a paddle trip on the calendar for the end of April. I got on the water quite a bit last year. Last trip was Halloween weekend and still I'm already itching to get back out.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

ramonz wrote:Any ideas on the best way to "archive" it? Could do a book, but then no vids. Could do something online, but then nothing fun to lazily thumb through. What do you guys do when you want to combine all the elements? Thanks.

Personally, I'm a fan of books. It'd be bad ass to do one of those apple books for every year, or groups of years (1993-1995, etc), almost like a yearbook of shenanigans.

That said, the internet would be the best way to do the videos, I think. If you could put everything together chronologically, it's be cool to be able to scroll through the evolution of your trip. Scanned photos from the 90's, then the first digital photos, then videos and iphone pics. Do a cool write up of every year with maps and such. That'd make a good read.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I definitely don't document nearly as much as I would like to. It makes me glad I got rid of my last smartphone and it's terrible camera.

My new toy for 2014:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:I definitely don't document nearly as much as I would like to. It makes me glad I got rid of my last smartphone and it's terrible camera.

My new toy for 2014:

^^^^^^
awesome!

I bought this last summer.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Nice! Is that one of the models designed for easier fishing?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:Nice! Is that one of the models designed for easier fishing?

yea, it is supposed to make it easier to fish but it is really only that they raised the seat up about 4 inches. At first I thought it would make it top heavy but that hasn't been the case. The cool thing about it is that I can slide the seat all the way back (or remove it altogether) and use it like a SUP. This boat is super stable.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote:My new toy for 2014:

One of them canoes for people without friends?

Just fuckin with ya

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:
Iowan wrote:My new toy for 2014:

One of them canoes for people without friends?

Just fuckin with ya

I've got a 20 year old Alumacraft sitting out behind the garage.

My old man and I shared my first beer in it on the Upper Iowa.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Boats are damn good for memories, that's for sure.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beaver Creek Valley, Caledonia MN

Beaver Creek

Downtown Decorah, IA (home of Toppling Goliath) from the top of Palisades

Base of the Palisades

Mrs. Iowan looking up at the Palisades

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I've driven through Decorah many times, I've always wanted to stop by and go for a hike, but I'm always going somewhere. Looks beautiful.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I've driven through Decorah many times, I've always wanted to stop by and go for a hike, but I'm always going somewhere. Looks beautiful.

There's a great network of hiking, mountain biking, and road bike trails ringing the city, and they're beautiful. Not too real remote or anything, but beautiful none the lest.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:I've driven through Decorah many times, I've always wanted to stop by and go for a hike, but I'm always going somewhere. Looks beautiful.

There's a great network of hiking, mountain biking, and road bike trails ringing the city, and they're beautiful. Not too real remote or anything, but beautiful none the lest.

Are there any decent campgrounds around there? I've been looking for some good places to hide out this summer.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Are there any decent campgrounds around there? I've been looking for some good places to hide out this summer.

Twin Springs is a nice place right in town.

If you want to get out in the woods, Yellow River Forest has some remote campsites (that you have to pack in to). Also, there are two campgrounds in Bluffton (tiny burg upstream of Decorah - absolutely gorgeous), one in Kendallville, and numerous rural campgrounds like Harvest Farms and Hutchinson Farms.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Well, color me interested. I need some fresh air. Is it spring down there yet? We just got more snow yesterday...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hiking at North Bear Creek, Highlandville IA

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Well, color me interested. I need some fresh air. Is it spring down there yet? We just got more snow yesterday...

Spring is officially sprung down here

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is the Manatawny Creek in Berks County, PA. Mason and I went up there on Friday to fish for trout. We didn't catch a damn thing but it was still a good day.
If you don't run you rust

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Iowan, you're a lucky man given where you live. No Driftless trip this year due to all the snow days killing spring break, and I am really bummed. I would give a lot to rent a little cabin somewhere by you and spend my days fishing, reading and generally fucking off.
Not forever, just for now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

'Scratch wrote:Iowan, you're a lucky man given where you live. No Driftless trip this year due to all the snow days killing spring break, and I am really bummed. I would give a lot to rent a little cabin somewhere by you and spend my days fishing, reading and generally fucking off.

That's a bummer! I was looking forward to a trip to the Fireman's Inn. I'm sure there will be future trips though.

Yeah, we're pretty lucky here. An abundance of natural beauty, and fucking no one knows about it, relatively speaking. This winter was damn tough, and I'm not wasting a minute of spring.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Image

This is the Manatawny Creek in Berks County, PA. Mason and I went up there on Friday to fish for trout. We didn't catch a damn thing but it was still a good day.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were fishing the Middle River near Winterset, Iowa (Bridges of Madison County).