Runners

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Erdlivz

Re: Runners

Post by Erdlivz »

Beebs wrote:
Clams wrote:Baby steps. Making progress.

Nice and easy Clamster

true story

the other night I ran 6 miles at 1am, in Chacos and drunk

I'm claiming it as proof that I'm still cool. Mrs Beebs thinks I'm an idiot

Nice! Hash House Harriers. I'm not sure why, maybe the colder winter nights, but I've made a couple last call runs from downtown Athens to my place on East Campus Road a few years back. Wore off any chance of a hangover for the early work mornings.

My old gym teacher/track coach ran a 5k event in under 20 minutes while drinking a six pack or beer.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:

Totally badass. Doing stuff like that is what keeps life fun. The Mrs doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:
Beebs wrote:

Totally badass. Doing stuff like that is what keeps life fun. The Mrs doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.

It's actually only because I really, really hate taking cabs.
Beebs is not a ragey man

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Beebs wrote:the other night I ran 6 miles at 1am, in Chacos and drunk

Approve
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Signed up yesterday for the "rock n roll" half marathon on September 22nd in Denver.

Any tips for the last 4 weeks of training ?

So far, longest run was 10 miles about 4 weeks ago. Finished in about 1:38.

Ran 8 yesterday. Have done that distance 3 or 4 times in the last 3 months.

Been running 5 miles per, 3x per week for about 2 months.

Should I run 13 once before the actual event ? Start tapering off 2 weeks before ? Any eating/nutrition tips ?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Just make sure you taper the last 10 days or so..good luck to you!

I'm supposed to run the Chicago Marathon on 10/7. I don't have a flight or hotel yet and I haven't run farther than about 12 miles in a long time. Unless I really get my sh*t together these next couple weeks, looks like I won't be heading there. (fingers crossed I can pull out a 20 miler soon) *too many rock shows and traveling I guess..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

I had a moment. Maybe you guys can relate...

I got transceded by that guitar break about two minutes into Santa Fe. It happended on a nice down hill just as a big warm, humid breeze came up and hit me in the face. Big oak leaves blowing off the trees, I put my arms out like Jesus and closed my eyes as I ran down the long hill with those soaring guitars. The last half mile with Back of a Bible wasn't bad either. :)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I hear this when I read Clams' post
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:

I hear this when I read Clams' post

I, OTOH, couldn't get past the "closed my eyes" part and all I had were visions of a bruised and battered clam rolling head over heels while Freebird played. It's a long song you know.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Half Marathon is in 4 days.

Started to develop the dreaded "runners knee" about 3 weeks ago, so last week and this week I have only run a total of 7-8 miles or so.

Ready for this sucker to get here so I can be done.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Have fun TW.
Beebs is not a ragey man

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Finished in 2:05:05

Amazing how the adrenaline and "Race-day" atmosphere pushed me through the normally tough spots.

Thanks to all for the tips. Really helped me out along the way.

Playlist that accompanied me ("I Can See my House From Here" came on at JUST the right time):

Last edited by TW_2.0 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TW_2.0 wrote:Finished in 2:05:05

Amazing how the adrenaline and "Race-day" atmosphere pushed me through the normally tough spots.

Congrats.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Finished in 2:05:05

Playlist that accompanied me ("I Can See my House From Here" came on at JUST the right time):

Good job TW and thanks for your playlist, now a I need a favor from all Runners on this thread. Please provide a sample list of your top running songs. I do lot's of running and I'm always in need of new ideas for music. Yes, this is for me, but we can all help each other out. Here's my list, and keep in mind, these may not be my favorite songs, but they work for me on the trail, and I hope to see yours, and TW, if you have a few more, feel free, here goes:

DBT - the live Buttholeville/State Trooper combo, from Sometime Late at Night. It kicks my ass and uses several minutes.
Copperhead Road - Steve Earle
City Drops into the Night - Jim Carroll Band
Gin, Smoke and Lies - Turnpike Trubadors
Wire Animals - Thin White Rope
Thunderbird - Billy Joe Shaver
State of Massachusuttes - Dropkick Murphys whose songs are pretty good to run to if your heart can stand it
Don't Break the Needle - J Roddy - Yes, according to Sterling Bigmouth, one pitch, 100 mile an hour heater
Month of May - Arcade Fire - I'm sorry I still like these Canadians even if they are bad hipsters
Centerville - Lee Bains and his Glory Fires - I'm still smarting from his cancelled Maryland show, but I can listen to this over and over
Take me the Speedway - Dexateens - and they have so many other good running songs.
Chest Fever - The Band
Wicked Gravity - Jim Carroll Band - Trying to avoid the obvious People who Died
Mange - Deer Tick - Starts slow and builds, a mini-Stairway to Heaven
Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols
Wasted Days - Cloud Nothings - A punk rock version of Stairway to Heaven
Laura Nyro - Stoney End - Okay, I admit, I cry whenever I hear Laura Nyro
Main Theme to "Game of Thrones" - Ramin Dwaji or something.
Ramblin, Man from Gramblin - Sam Spence - music From the old NFL Films, if you watched those shows you will recognize this song, though it may prompt you to run in slow motion.

I didn't mention any other DBT songs, because DBT goes without saying.

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

First marthon monday morning (only started running in Jan). Excited & fearful at the same time - was going super until 3 weeks ago, did my 20 mile long run in 3 hr 17 min, felt good & could have pushed on for another 6.2 in race scenario (I think).

Next day my knee very stiff and sore. Only ran 5 miles next two weeks, did physio visits etc.

This week did 3 x 4 miles and no problems so I'm ready to go!

I was hoping for a 4 hr 10 min time & was super confident I could do it. Now I'd take 4 hr 30 min, presuming I have no flare up of knee thingy. All to play for!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Awesome Harley. Have a great time.
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

harleywood wrote:First marthon monday morning (only started running in Jan). Excited & fearful at the same time - was going super until 3 weeks ago, did my 20 mile long run in 3 hr 17 min, felt good & could have pushed on for another 6.2 in race scenario (I think).

Next day my knee very stiff and sore. Only ran 5 miles next two weeks, did physio visits etc.

This week did 3 x 4 miles and no problems so I'm ready to go!

I was hoping for a 4 hr 10 min time & was super confident I could do it. Now I'd take 4 hr 30 min, presuming I have no flare up of knee thingy. All to play for!

Good luck!

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

Cheers for good wishes.

4 hrs 15 min 54 seconds. Position 7,443 out of 14,500! Cruising until mile 18, faded away very badly then, not sure if I "hit the wall", but my body seized up & last 8 were a awful struggle, I was crying at a couple of stages. Had 8 pints of beer & couple whiskey's to celebrate after & paid the price y/day as was getting sick all day! Wont be doing it again, once & once only, Ill keep up running but not to that extent.

Jack White tonight, was sensible & bought seated tickets as mobility is not what it normally would be.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

harleywood wrote:Cheers for good wishes.

Cruising until mile 18, faded away very badly then, not sure if I "hit the wall", but my body seized up & last 8 were a awful struggle, I was crying at a couple of stages.

Ummm, yeah, I'm pretty sure you got that from Webster's under "wall, hitting". But hey, you finished so good on you. Congrats. :D

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

good job on the run! next year give this a shot. i've run it 4 times
http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/mmtr/

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Love the "drunk run" stories.

When I was a freshman in college my uncle told me about how he and his buddies would run to the bar, have a few cold ones, and run home. I started doing occasional "drunk" runs for my daily workout my sophomore year. On more than one occasion, I would have a few shots of liquor (so it wouldn't hang in my stomach) and then go for a 4-5 mile run around campus. It was great. That ended my senior year when I was drunk running alongside a rural county road on the edge of Ames one afternoon, and I tripped over a piece of rebar coming out of the road shoulder and cut the hell out of my arm.

However, when some of my coworkers are going to the bar after work, I'll sneak out 30-45 minutes early, run a 5K that ends at the bar, have some beers with them and then run home (about another half mile or so).

I've been running on the indoor track at our fitness center lately, because I really like how soft and forgiving the surface is on your joints, but I need to bust out my cold weather running gear and head into the woods for some epic late fall/early winter trail runs.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Iowan wrote:Love the "drunk run" stories.

When I was a freshman in college my uncle told me about how he and his buddies would run to the bar, have a few cold ones, and run home. I started doing occasional "drunk" runs for my daily workout my sophomore year. On more than one occasion, I would have a few shots of liquor (so it wouldn't hang in my stomach) and then go for a 4-5 mile run around campus. It was great. That ended my senior year when I was drunk running alongside a rural county road on the edge of Ames one afternoon, and I tripped over a piece of rebar coming out of the road shoulder and cut the hell out of my arm.

However, when some of my coworkers are going to the bar after work, I'll sneak out 30-45 minutes early, run a 5K that ends at the bar, have some beers with them and then run home (about another half mile or so).

I've been running on the indoor track at our fitness center lately, because I really like how soft and forgiving the surface is on your joints, but I need to bust out my cold weather running gear and head into the woods for some epic late fall/early winter trail runs.

here ya go. drinkers with a running problem
http://gthhh.com/

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

4 hrs 15 min 54 seconds. Position 7,443 out of 14,500! Cruising until mile 18, faded away very badly then, not sure if I "hit the wall", but my body seized up & last 8 were a awful struggle, I was crying at a couple of stages. Had 8 pints of beer & couple whiskey's to celebrate after & paid the price y/day as was getting sick all day! Wont be doing it again, once & once only, Ill keep up running but not to that extent.

Jack White tonight, was sensible & bought seated tickets as mobility is not what it normally would be.

Congratulations, I'll be running my first ever marathon in two weeks. I'm shooting for the time you got. But, now I'm scared as I've never run more than 18 miles, but I did it twice and it was grueling. I do plan to have a few martinis after the race. But, that wall scares me.

bogart

Post by bogart »

Running With the Buffaloes by Chris Lear

sideburn

Post by sideburn »

Good job! Hope to do it one day. And never say never on doing another.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

bogart wrote:Running With the Buffaloes by Chris Lear

Rhubarb. Chia Pets.
Beebs is not a ragey man

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

Gang Green wrote:

Congratulations, I'll be running my first ever marathon in two weeks. I'm shooting for the time you got. But, now I'm scared as I've never run more than 18 miles, but I did it twice and it was grueling. I do plan to have a few martinis after the race. But, that wall scares me.

I ran 18 miles exactly 4 weeks beforehand, 20 miles 3 weeks beforehand - (then nothing for two weeks). So it seems we both have similar preperation with the long runs. And I hit the finishing line so no doubt you can.

If you can follow a pacer - do. I started in wave 2 in my race. But the pacer I wanted to follow was at the start of wave 3, so I was running too fast, almost unknown to myself, getting caught up in the eurphoria of it all! Be more sensible than me & you'll have an easier ride than me. Just my two cent.

Keep us updated!!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Great job, y'all. Really proud of all the first-time half and whole marathoners out there.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

harleywood wrote:
Gang Green wrote:

I ran 18 miles exactly 4 weeks beforehand, 20 miles 3 weeks beforehand - (then nothing for two weeks). So it seems we both have similar preperation with the long runs. And I hit the finishing line so no doubt you can.

If you can follow a pacer - do. I started in wave 2 in my race. But the pacer I wanted to follow was at the start of wave 3, so I was running too fast, almost unknown to myself, getting caught up in the eurphoria of it all! Be more sensible than me & you'll have an easier ride than me. Just my two cent.

Keep us updated!!

Thanks for the advice, I will try to contain myself at the begining. Luckily, I'll only be doing the Harrisburg, PA marathon. The excitement level surrounding Harrisburg is not quite as high as the Marine Corp Marathon in DC. You can be my pacer, as I'll be shooting for your time. I'll keep you posted.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Calling all DBT-fan runners. Craig posted on his facebook page requesting ideas for merch. I told them that I would LOVE to have a DBT shirt made out of technical running apparel. Of course, I'm sure that stuff is expensive and he wrote back and said that I was probably the ONLY DBT fan who was a runner/fitness fanatic. It may not be worth their time/money at all, but just out of curiousity - how many of you would buy a DBT shirt made out of running material - what size and how much would you be willing to pay?
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason